Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

"Buddy doesn't see it but there's an alien behind him, and it does the head-biting thing to him... BUT we want to have like a comedic relief aspect to this scene because the character is kind of a dunderhead so he's got time to use his hand to examine the gaping wound in the back of his skull before he makes a silly face and expires, falling comedically into the abyss."

This makes me want someone to dub a slide whistle over when an alien sticks in/out his inner mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"OK so let's talk characters. People really like the characters in the first films. They like how everyone in the first film is just a regular Joe put into a terrible situation and for the most part really step up to the plate. A real triumph of the human spirit. Hudson's arc in Aliens when he starts off cocky and then falls apart and then becomes a genuine badass is also a highlight."

"I see what you're saying... people want a bunch of cocksure totally radical bad dudes each with their own superpowers and gimmicks."

"No, they want sympathetic characters with growth and development they can emphasise with and root for."

"That's what I said, superpowers and gimmicks."

<repeat indefinitely>

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

We'll always have LV-426

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
T-shirt idea: I survived LV-426 and all I got was this empty chest cavity.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I hate Resurrection. One good scene with failed clones and Sigourney Weaver almost breaking her loving back trying to carry the rest of a typical Joss "Fat Head" Whedon vehicle. QuIrKy SpAcE cHaRaCteRs!!!

gently caress off you bastard.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
People still talk about Firefly. How embarrassing.

Resurrection had some nice little touches/details but that's just because the earlier movies aged well and there was some wiggle room to explore and to expand. However, that's all limited to the background because Joss (can't believe that's a name for an adult human) wants to have more banter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

phasmid posted:

People still talk about Firefly. How embarrassing.

Resurrection had some nice little touches/details but that's just because the earlier movies aged well and there was some wiggle room to explore and to expand. However, that's all limited to the background because Joss (can't believe that's a name for an adult human) wants to have more banter.
Firefly is fine because it is what it is. Resurrection is not fine because firefly alpha test characters and horror/suspense go together like Mexican food and analingus.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I saw Serenity in the theater shortly after I was done working there and one of my coworkers brought me to it. Never heard about Firefly or Joss Whedon or anything. I thought it was great and then he told me about Firefly so I watched it and ended up liking that. But I'm not sure of any other thing I like from him.

Resurrection was the worst. I like it the least out of the entire Alien and Predator franchise. Although I haven't seen The Predator yet which I'll remedy soon. Just so much about that movie was wrong. I'm not versed enough with film making but there are some technical aspects that were bad with the cinematography(?). The shots basically. Like zooming in so far to the face with a weird angle. They do that zoom shot a few times and it looks like an 80s B horror movie. Peter Jackson uses the same type of shot sometimes. Also in Evil Dead, but that's a good movie.

The dialog was eye rolling. Like it even made me feel embarrassed. "Who do I have to gently caress to get off this boat?" Ripley says that oscar winning line. The dude in the wheelchair literally says "Who were you expecting? Santa Clause?!!! with no self awareness or anything. Jesus H Christ.

I think I talked a bit about Resurrection at the beginning of the thread but man, I did not like it. Although it has a good cast. Perlman, Weaver, Winona Ryder (:swoon:), and Brad Dourif. Such a shame.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I didn't realize Resurrection was Joe Sweden. Everything about it makes so much more sense now.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The biggest "problem" with Resurrection isn't necessarily the script, it's who they got to direct it. Jean Pierre Jeunet had a history of directing French surrealist cinema, and while that could have been fuckin' wild for an Alien movie, he's working off a script more appropriate for someone like John Woo or Michael Bay or something. The weird-angle-face-zoom stuff is Jeunet's surrealist sensibilities at work, and the script really wasn't written for that. It didn't help that Jeunet spoke English very poorly, so some of the tone and idioms of the script may have gone right over his head, similar to Paul Verhoeven and "Bitches, leave." I've read stories that Ron Perlman, who is fluent in French, had worked with Jeunet before, and is generally a class act, had to run interference between Jeunet and the studio to keep them from railroading Jeunet by capitalizing on the language barrier. Similarly, "Santa Claus" line probably wasn't meant to be delivered by someone with a really thick French accent. Like yeah the line is still a little hokey, but the delivery doesn't do it any favors. Like, picture that line in a Bad Boys movie with Will Smith saying it to Martin Lawrence after Will Smith shows up out of nowhere mid-gunfight or something, and it probably reads a lot better.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 6, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I get what you're saying but in the finished film the direction and cinematography aren't the problems. The problem is by and large Josh MeToo's loving garbage sack of a script. I don't even remember most of the scenes with the Alien(s) except Dan Hedaya (maybe?) getting bit in the back of the head. All I remember is the 90s Xtreeeeeeme Edgy Space Badass Version of the Burger King Kids Club (right down to the wheelchair dude) and a comatose Winona Ryder as The Robot.

Hell, I can't remember a single thing Ron Perlman did in that film besides not die.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've played the first chunk of the side campaign in Colonial Marines, Hypersleep Interrupted, and it's pretty loving good. Creepy, atmospheric, sentry guns all over the place, and I've killed as many people as I've seen xenomorphs take down. I only just got a weapon. Looking forward to the next time I feel like being scared in space.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hell, I can't remember a single thing Ron Perlman did in that film besides not die.

He hangs upside down on a ladder firing two guns at one point, unless I’m remembering wrong.

I love watching movies like this, where you know it was only two years before ‘The Matrix’ came out and the action sucks so bad because they were relying on cgi that wasn’t quite ready for prime time: just because it makes me remember how mind blowing The Matrix was back then.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Just rewatched aliens 3 to cap off my weekend.

Correct me if I'm wrong: I remember hearing something once about how there was a totally different direction in mind originally for 3- like more marines more xenomorphs, but Sigourney Weaver insisted they do it without guns or whatever so we got prison planet.

I still enjoy 3 for what it is and maybe getting Aliens the sequel with kick-rear end marines again would have been fun, but way over did it. As it is, each film of the trilogy hits its own separate note while staying in universe.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qtEsweD4Ao

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

frogge posted:

I didn't realize Resurrection was Joe Sweden. Everything about it makes so much more sense now.

The "broken female character who wants to kick rear end" cliché didn't clue you in?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Joss Whedon staring out a window wistfully.

"River Tam....."

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

My partner, who generally isn’t very good with horror movies, bravely decided to take the plunge.

I’ve got the 2010 blu-ray versions and Alien looks absolutely phenomenal. Despite being the oldest I’d say it’s definitely the best looking, as Aliens seems to have used that grainy film that all movies used in the 80s.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

frogge posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong: I remember hearing something once about how there was a totally different direction in mind originally for 3- like more marines more xenomorphs, but Sigourney Weaver insisted they do it without guns or whatever so we got prison planet.

I doubt she has enough pull to change an entire script. But she is definitely outspoken against guns and was upset about having to use one in Aliens. Although I think her reluctance to guns really shows in the movie which is great. The scene where she uses the pulse rifle for the first time is perfect. The alien is coming towards her and she fuddles with the gun, checks the round count or something on the side and then seems to almost accidentally pull the trigger and starts sweeping it. It looked pretty drat genuine to me.

edit: That's awesome to hear that Ron Perlman speaks fluent French. That's just cool.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013

wish alcohol was that potent

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013

olllllldddddd take a seat at the end of the line and Learn and Update

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013

Welcome to the Future Bitch

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Ludikrous posted:

My partner, who generally isn’t very good with horror movies, bravely decided to take the plunge.

I’ve got the 2010 blu-ray versions and Alien looks absolutely phenomenal. Despite being the oldest I’d say it’s definitely the best looking, as Aliens seems to have used that grainy film that all movies used in the 80s.

Aliens is easily the worst looking out of the original 4.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Slutitution posted:

Aliens is easily the worst looking out of the original 4.

Possibly. Alien 3 was pretty bad with that yellow/orangish filter over everything. I'm just talking about the way the actual film looks of course and not the awful CGI.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Possibly. Alien 3 was pretty bad with that yellow/orangish filter over everything. I'm just talking about the way the actual film looks of course and not the awful CGI.

The orange and black color palette was supposed to represent an industrialized hell. The prisoners represented the damned, and Ripley represented a Christ-like figure that fell from the sky. The story is a human apocalyptic tale, where the prisoners seek redemption by helping Ripley defeat the xenomorph, which was clearly a demon/Satan metaphor. Ripley's sacrifice is self-evident, too.

I also enjoyed the take where the prisoners selflessly sacrifice themselves - the most human thing you can do - in one final instance of redemption in order to defeat and deprive the corporation that literally owns them in that private prison planet of acquiring a bioweapon they'll never be able to control, thus saving humanity in the process. Long live Dillon!

And that 2003 cut is mandatory viewing. It's so much better, and it feels like a completed film.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I doubt she has enough pull to change an entire script. But she is definitely outspoken against guns and was upset about having to use one in Aliens. Although I think her reluctance to guns really shows in the movie which is great. The scene where she uses the pulse rifle for the first time is perfect. The alien is coming towards her and she fuddles with the gun, checks the round count or something on the side and then seems to almost accidentally pull the trigger and starts sweeping it. It looked pretty drat genuine to me.

Yeah I always thought the whole "SW hates guns so they took em out" thing smelled like fishy grognard hearsay.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh I actually like Alien 3. The Assembly cut really helps it.

I understand why they wanted the filter, but it was and probably still is a fad. Like the Matrix having a green filter, tons and tons of movies using a blue filter. It's not a big deal but it's terribly obvious.

Slutitution posted:

Long live Dillon!

Yes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I want to take Charles Dutton's character from Alien 3 and put him in a much better Alien movie.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

He performed that balance between stoicism and instability really well. Morse was fun, and hell, I even liked 85.

And Golic was a sufficiently creepy gently caress.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They should do a restaurant tie-in, like the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. but instead it's Aliens. No?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Slutitution posted:

He performed that balance between stoicism and instability really well. Morse was fun, and hell, I even liked 85.

And Golic was a sufficiently creepy gently caress.

The actual acting in the movie was really good by pretty much everyone. I really liked 85 and how he sort of does the right thing at the end. I don't know what it is about Morse but I like him. I think I've seen him in other things before. I also like Andrews, the custodian or whatever they call the leader. He just does a good job at his role of a unconcerned officer type and just wanting everything to run smoothly and quietly. Clemens, Charles Dance, obviously did well and he's been in a lot of things.

The overall acting was just good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Harald posted:

They should do a restaurant tie-in, like the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. but instead it's Aliens. No?

Like this restaurant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-sBROXalU4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh, I watched The Predator last night. Wow, that was pretty bad. Now I was really intoxicated and depending on the type of intoxication, I've learned that has an impact on the movie I watch. Usually, getting drunk, depending on HOW drunk, can really help me to follow terrible editing. I don't want to admit this but I liked Suicide Squad. Had I seen it sober, maybe not so much.

But The Predator was not good. I think Resurrection was better (in terms of the Alien/Predator universe) and I really don't like that movie. There very few redeeming parts of The Predator. I always seem to watch movies more than once so maybe I'll understand more the second time around. But so far, drat. Not good.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I haven't seen The Predators (jokes about Hollywood and Washington DC notwithstanding iykwim) but I'm thinking "If it Bleeds We Can Grill It" is gonna be a menu item.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Resurrection is definitely better than The Predator. The Predator is trying to be Resurrection, pretty much.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Oh, I watched The Predator last night. Wow, that was pretty bad. Now I was really intoxicated and depending on the type of intoxication, I've learned that has an impact on the movie I watch. Usually, getting drunk, depending on HOW drunk, can really help me to follow terrible editing. I don't want to admit this but I liked Suicide Squad. Had I seen it sober, maybe not so much.

But The Predator was not good. I think Resurrection was better (in terms of the Alien/Predator universe) and I really don't like that movie. There very few redeeming parts of The Predator. I always seem to watch movies more than once so maybe I'll understand more the second time around. But so far, drat. Not good.

I loved it. Dunno why but I did

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Harald posted:

Come on down to happy hour at White Wall Panel Which Dispenses Cornbread

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve been meaning to ask, did everyone get their copy of Labyrinth? If so, what did you think of it? :ohdear:

Got mine. I read it some 5-6 years ago online, but I remember reading it the first time when I was like 7 and is freaked me right the gently caress out. I still enjoy it, something about the artwork itself is unsettling.

Thanks again, man.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
All these weeks/months later and I'm still thinking about Aliens... the movie. And it's still dope as gently caress

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's pronounced "sodomy"

You may think it very odd of me! :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Was thinking about Ripley's line to Parker towards the end of the movie, "Obviously that means killing it." That's such an understated hilarious line