Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

Every year for my birthday I do a BBQ. Usually smoked ribs. Is there something else new I should try smoking

:420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If you live in a place where you can get pork steaks, do that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Beef ribs! Brisket!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Chuck roast. Easier, cheaper, tastes better than brisket, and most people have never had it that way. Sliced or pulled.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Does anyone have an oxtail ragu and/or stew recipe they absolutely love? I got a bunch of oxtail and need some inspiration. I tried Jamie Olivers oxtail ragu last time nad it was okay, i think it lacked some depth.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

If you live in a place where you can get pork steaks, do that.

Is that something different from a pork chop?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Every year for my birthday I do a BBQ. Usually smoked ribs. Is there something else new I should try smoking

Beef ribs, brisket, tri-tip, chicken, pork shoulder, mackerel, salmon, prime rib.

Just watch a few BBQ channels on youtube for inspiration. :)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Is that something different from a pork chop?

Same section of pig but cut bigger and thicker so it eats more like a steak. Chops will do fine as well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

5436 posted:

Does anyone have an oxtail ragu and/or stew recipe they absolutely love? I got a bunch of oxtail and need some inspiration. I tried Jamie Olivers oxtail ragu last time nad it was okay, i think it lacked some depth.

What I have in my notepad:

* 4 to 5 pounds oxtail
* Salt & pepper
* Flour
* ¼ cup olive oil
* 1 medium yellow onion
* 1 large carrot
* 3 celery ribs
* 1 can crushed plum tomatoes
* 3 cups dry red wine
* 2 rosemary sprigs
* 2 thyme sprigs
* 2 bay leaves
* 4 cloves garlic
* ¼ teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 300°F.

Pat the meat dry with paper towels then dust with the flour. Season with salt and pepper on all sides. Place Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add oil. Add the meat and sear on all sides.

Transfer the meat to a plate to rest. Add chopped onion, carrot, and celery and cook until browned. Add the tomatoes, wine, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, garlic, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil while scraping the frond loose.

Add the meat and enough water to cover meat. Return to a boil, cover the pot and transfer it to the oven. Cook for 3 to 4 hours, picking up a bone should have the meat falling off.
Remove the pot from the oven and transfer the pieces of meat to a plate. Pick the meat from the bones and throw back in the pot. Pluck out the bay leaves, and sprigs of rosemary, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.

At that point I put the dutch oven in an ice bath and cool it and let it sit in the fridge overnight, take it out and skim the fat before putting it on a low simmer for a good hour or two before serving. You can skim the fat when you are taking the meat off the bones, but you won't get it as clean and the sauce will be pretty greasy. Oxtail isn't cheap and isn't always easy to get, I tend to make the effort of the overnight trip to the fridge if I'm going through the effort of making it at all.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

5436 posted:

Absolutely! It's not really a ragu and you can add tomato paste or none at all. For a single Dutch oven worth...

1. Brown oxtail with kosher salt + pepper
2. Remove; sautee a large onion with a bit of the fat that may be remaining - add tomato paste if using.
3. Add a cup-ish of chicken stock
4. Bring to a boil; return ox tail to Dutch oven
5. Cover and braise for 2+ hours. Check on it occasionally and add water/stock if it's getting dry.
6. 30 minutes before you want to eat, add some potato chunks (waxy).
7. Stir in a couple (or more) tablespoons good Dijon mustard. I usually use one that's "Stone ground" because it's a bit more coarse and adds some texture that I like.

Nephzinho posted:

\Oxtail isn't cheap and isn't always easy to get

Do you have an Asian grocery store nearby? Might have better luck there.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Do you have an Asian grocery store nearby? Might have better luck there.

The one that was literally on my corner closed last year and there isn't anything convenient now.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone got a good recipe for shortgrain rice in an instant pot

https://instantpot.com/how-to-cook-perfect-rice-in-an-electric-pressure-cooker/

Edit: My buddy who uses his IP for pretty much only CalRose has the following suggestions:

1:1, always rinse.
6 Min high, natural release (no keep warm either).
He also strongly recommends the non stick insert.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 6, 2019

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

5436 posted:

Does it have to be stew? Because I make these and they are amazing:

http://sundaynitedinner.com/chinese-braised-oxtail-stew/

Chinese Braised Oxtail Stew Recipe
Prep and cook time: 5 hours, plus overnight marinating

Ingredients:
5 to 6 pounds oxtails, cut into pieces, fat trimmed
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
½ cup Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
2 cups low-sodium beef or chicken stock
1/3 cup dark or regular soy sauce
1½ tablespoons brown sugar
2 star anise, broken into pieces
2 whole cloves
4 lemongrass stalks, trimmed and bruised
3 scallions, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths, plus 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal, for garnish
6 slices fresh ginger
4 garlic cloves, peeled
3-4 Thai chili peppers, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
10 ounces fresh or dried whole shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, re-hydrated if dried
1 lime, zested and cut into small wedges
Cooked jasmine rice, for serving.

Directions:
1) Heat oven to 300 degrees. Season oxtails with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid. Working in batches if necessary to avoid crowding, brown oxtail all over, removing each piece when done. Add oil as needed.

2) When done browning, pour off extra fat from bottom of empty pot and set pot over high heat. Add wine and bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits. In a bowl, mix soy sauce and sugar with 2 cups stock and pour into pot. Add lemongrass, chili peppers, star anise, cloves, 2-inch pieces of scallions, ginger and garlic and bring to a boil. Turn off heat. Return oxtails to pot and add lime zest. Cover and transfer to oven. Cook 1½ hours.

3) Turn over pieces of oxtail, cover again and cook 1½ hours more, or until oxtail is very tender. Remove oxtails from pot and strain sauce into a separate saucepan; discard contents of strainer. Transfer oxtail pieces back to ovenproof pot. Cover oxtails and sauce and refrigerate overnight.

4) The next day, heat oven to 300 degrees; remove oxtails and sauce from refrigerator. Lift off any fat on surface of sauce and discard. Gently warm sauce until liquid, then pour over oxtails and stir in shiitake mushrooms. Cover with foil or a lid and bake 30 minutes.

5) Uncover, stir and raise oven temperature to 400 degrees. Cook, uncovered, 15 minutes. Stir again and cook another 15 minutes, until hot and glazed thickly with sauce. Remove oxtails from oven and serve over rice. Sprinkle each serving with thin scallion slices and squeeze lime juice over oxtails.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are whole in-shell littleneck clams supposed to have a stinky toenail cheese smell after being cooked in white wine?

Cuz I have these ones that have been in my fridge’s meat drawer for about 9 days, and...

EDIT: I have never cooked clams before so I don’t know what the gently caress clams are supposed to smell like.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 6, 2019

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

I. M. Gei posted:

Are whole in-shell littleneck clams supposed to have a stinky toenail cheese smell after being cooked in white wine?

Cuz I have these ones that have been in my fridge’s meat drawer for about 9 days, and...

EDIT: I have never cooked clams before so I don’t know what the gently caress clams are supposed to smell like.
No, fresh clams should smell more or less like seawater. They generally start smelling fishy when they're starting to go off, and have a nasty ammonia smell when they're bad.

After a week in your fridge you have dead clams. You do not want to cook dead clams. You want live clams that become dead clams when you cook them. In order to do that you have to buy them live and keep them in the fridge like overnight or maybe a day if you're feeling adventurous or just wanna punch your immune system in the nuts.

If you need to buy clams now to be eaten like a week from now, assuming you don't live in the ocean you should just get frozen.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Steve Yun posted:

A friend of mine loves smoked turkey legs. Smoked chicken wings might also turn out okay.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Smoked chicken wings are the loving bomb. You can sauce them just like fried buffalo wings and they come out loving amazing.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I got my first a paring knife, a little 90cm wusthof classic, for my birthday. I want to use it and practice some paring specific techniques like Pepin's apple coring (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGMbteKwpL4). Any suggestions? How do you usually use yours?

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 7, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
At 90cm, that's just shy of a meter. That's a nice sized sword. I don't think that even Pepin could peel an apple with that. I'd probably stick to slaughtering cows and pigs with that.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

DasNeonLicht posted:

A friend of mine loves smoked turkey legs. Smoked chicken wings might also turn out okay.

Smoked chicken/turkey is basically my favorite meat, definitely do that.

I'm really bad at googling recipes: I want to make some kind of bread-like dessert that doesn't involve baking soda/powder (I don't have any right now ok). I DO have flour and yeast. Also I have no eggs, so no brioche or anything.

should I just give up my dessert idea and make regular-rear end bread?

vvv that sounds loving amazing but I can't have a smoker or anything cool like that where I live :smith:

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 7, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

big dyke energy posted:

Smoked chicken/turkey is basically my favorite meat, definitely do that.

I'm really bad at googling recipes: I want to make some kind of bread-like dessert that doesn't involve baking soda/powder (I don't have any right now ok). I DO have flour and yeast. Also I have no eggs, so no brioche or anything.

should I just give up my dessert idea and make regular-rear end bread?

Get this book and do the smoked apple crisp or the smoked chocolate bread pudding (the latter may be in Project Fire, I can’t remember).

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

At 90cm, that's just shy of a meter. That's a nice sized sword. I don't think that even Pepin could peel an apple with that. I'd probably stick to slaughtering cows and pigs with that.

Good point, I'll hang it up in the slaughter shed and buy a 9cm / 90 mm / 3.5inch real paring knife. Any tips for that one?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
have an apple for breakfast, a pear for lunch, mashed potatoes for dinner, and a kiwi for dessert.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I mean, in general, with any kind of meat that isn't, like, bacon I would be having reservations after that long. Let alone any kind of seafood :ohdear:

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Make your own bacon and smoke it. You'll need a scale to measure the ingredients, but it's easy to do.

500 grams pork belly without skin (a little over 1 pound) (some people leave the skin on)

Savory, pepper garlic bacon that I love
15 grams of kosher salt
10 grams sugar
10 grams pepper
2 finely minced garlic cloves
Optional: 5 grams paprika

-or-

Sweet maple bacon, like what you buy in the store but much better
15 grams of kosher salt
15 grams maple syrup

Mix the spice mixes together. Slather the pork belly in it. Really smother it. If you sprinkle the spice on like you're going to bake it, it won't cure properly. Smear it so thick you can barely see the meat beneath.

Put the whole thing in a Ziploc bag and put it in your refrigerator for a week. Flip once a day. If you go over a week, that's okay.

The day before you smoke, take it out of the fridge and wash off the spices (most of the spices will be absorbed into the meat). Cut off a little piece and fry it up. Taste it to see if it's saltier than you like. If it's too salty, soak it in water for a few hours.

After you rinse and dry it, leave it uncovered in your refrigerator overnight. It will get a little dry on the outside.

The next day, smoke it. 2 hours at 150 degrees is normal, but you can pick whatever time you like. The week-long curing process makes it safe to eat "raw". So the smoking is just to give it flavor and texture, not to sanitize it.

Bagheera fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 7, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

What should I do with 10 pounds of leftover raw zucchini and yellow squash

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

poverty goat posted:

Zucchini pasta, squash fritters, stuffed squash/ zucchini etc.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

poverty goat posted:

Cook in chicken stock (or veg stock if you want to keep it vegetarian), puree with roasted red pepper and add some heavy cream/creme fraiche, zest some lemon in there, salt, pepper, and enjoy your soup.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

poverty goat posted:

Kousa mahshi.

Or for a great and easy side, slice it about 1/4" thick and saute in olive oil with onion, garlic and thyme. Squeeze lemon over the top at the end.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
How long do dry rice noodles stay good for? I’ve had a pack in the pantry for over a year now, unsealed. Still good or should I replace?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
They don't go bad.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

A turkey, smoked turkey is good, and super cheat if you buy it at any time besides november - december.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
poo poo I got to make dinner for 4 tonight and all I have is weird ingredients. Please help. I got:

potatoes
onions
4 split chicken breasts
asparagus
a can of pinto beans
a can of corn
white wine
milk
a little cheddar

I can't figure this one out

Oh wait I also found a package of dry thai rice noodles

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Do you have any butter or olive oil? How about spices?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Dregs posted:

poo poo I got to make dinner for 4 tonight and all I have is weird ingredients. Please help. I got:

potatoes
onions
4 split chicken breasts
asparagus
a can of pinto beans
a can of corn
white wine
milk
a little cheddar

I can't figure this one out

Oh wait I also found a package of dry thai rice noodles

I like easy (mostly) one-pot meals so here's what I'd do:

Dice and sweat an onion. Toss in cubed chicken, cook most of the way through, toss in asparagus cut into 1-inch pieces. Once chicken is cooked through and asparagus has softened, toss in the drained can of corn and drained/rinsed beans to heat through. Season to taste and add whatever herbs/spices you like. Serve either over cheesy mashed potatoes, or with the potatoes on the side.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Bluedeanie posted:

Do you have any butter or olive oil? How about spices?

yeah I have all that sorry. My spice drawer is packed and I have stuff like bullion, fish sauce, etc

The Midniter posted:

Dice and sweat an onion. Toss in cubed chicken, cook most of the way through, toss in asparagus cut into 1-inch pieces. Once chicken is cooked through and asparagus has softened, toss in the drained can of corn and drained/rinsed beans to heat through. Season to taste and add whatever herbs/spices you like. Serve either over cheesy mashed potatoes, or with the potatoes on the side.

Yeah, that's what I'll probably end up doing. I was just hoping there was some fabulous dish with these ingredients I wasn't aware of.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 9, 2019

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Good plan. I would also recommend cubing onion, potatoes and chicken, tossing em in a little oil and cayenne, paprika, cajun seasoning, salt and/or whatever seasonings and baking them. Works best with finely diced red potatoes both for flavor and compatible cook times with chicken breast but its a quick and easy kind of hearty bachelor casserole that tastes good enough. You can top it with the cheese too.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Heuvos Rotos might be worth a shot if it’s very casual. Quickly parboil, halve, and then fry potatoes in olive oil, add garlic and onion (alongside paprika, pepper flakes etc.), and, once potatoes are crispy enough, crack eggs and cover in saucepan until you have solid whites and runny yolks. If done correctly you end up with a bed of seasoned potatoes with an egg slowly melting on top.

Here is a NYT recipe, I’ve never cooked it this recipe tho, so make of it what you will.

PONEYBOY fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 9, 2019

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Nephzinho posted:

Oxtail isn't cheap and isn't always easy to get, I tend to make the effort of the overnight trip to the fridge if I'm going through the effort of making it at all.

I found it in costco!

Kalista posted:

Does it have to be stew? Because I make these and they are amazing:

Nope but only stews really came to mind when I was looking up recipes.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll comb through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

amenbrotep posted:

Heuvos Rotos might be worth a shot if it’s very casual. Quickly parboil, halve, and then fry potatoes in olive oil, add garlic and onion (alongside paprika, pepper flakes etc.), and, once potatoes are crispy enough, crack eggs and cover in saucepan until you have solid whites and runny yolks. If done correctly you end up with a bed of seasoned potatoes with an egg slowly melting on top.

Here is a NYT recipe, I’ve never cooked it this recipe tho, so make of it what you will.

that sounds delicious

I was thinking i'd do some sort of Asian stir fry with the chicken, asparagus, and corn and serve it with the noodles. then maybe some of those sweet soy saucy Korean potatoes. https://kimchimari.com/korean-potato-side-dish-gamja-jorim/

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 9, 2019