Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Anyway, I kinda feel like we're seeing similar criticisms for GoT that we saw for Star Wars, which is that nothing can compete with people's head cannon. There's nothing more pointless than hearing people talk about what 'should' happen. Not to say there aren't a myriad of legitimate issues with this show because there is.

Yeah this is the number one experience of nerd culture becoming the dominant culture imo. It’s people finding out that anything that actually exists is going to be way more disappointing than what they can imagine themselves. It’s such a weird... reaction? Subversion? Result? Of the escapist premise of fantasy in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Raccooon posted:

I assume Cersei’s goal is to provoke Dany into killing a poo poo load of civilians. Why that is her goal Idk

She sees that as like the only way she can possibly hold on to power, or at least spite Dany so if she takes the throne away, she won't be able to keep it. Its... something?

If she wasn't pregnant I'd more or less understand her being suicidal and not caring about anything past spite now. But she is pregnant with Jaime's child (which she is pretending is Euron's to legitimize him) and Tyrion just made a big deal about how that's the only thing she loves.

Oh man... I just realized. The book prophecy makes it sound like Jaime's gonna kill Cersei, right? Now the show may not do that since it didn't have that part, but it still may as it seems they're following GRRM's endgame notes. But I never really stopped and considered the implication of Jaime killing Cersei if Cersei is pregnant with Jaime's child. That's some serious poo poo.

Now I'm thinking we're gonna have a duel between Jaime and Euron for Cersei?

Cersei can't live past the show, though... she's gotta go down in the end. Maybe she gives birth first and Jaime raises the child without her?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

BonoMan posted:

They could have taken out the last dragon right there. He was chilling on the ground and if they would have just fire the arrows there's no way he could've taken off in time. I was really surprised that didn't happen.

They could have just killed Dany right there. She had all her forces within range of the scorpions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DrVenkman posted:

The argument that 'Cinema Sins isn't trying to be serious' would hold more water if the guys personal channel didn't voice the same criticisms that they 'joke' about later.

Anyway, I kinda feel like we're seeing similar criticisms for GoT that we saw for Star Wars, which is that nothing can compete with people's head cannon. There's nothing more pointless than hearing people talk about what 'should' happen. Not to say there aren't a myriad of legitimate issues with this show because there is.

Also, a Starbucks in the background of a scene isn't a continuity issue or indicative of how no one gives a poo poo. It's just a goof. But this train is going to roll on and on while people pretend they know how things get made.

Eh, too much headcannon gets dumb yeah, but take the word "should" and replace it with "I think the story would have been better if..." and it's a pretty fair comment for people to make about a show they're invested in.

The thing I think people keep ignoring when they make statements like this is, the show used to be based on the books. We liked that. The books were popular and deep and rich, hence HBO greenlighting such a massive show. When they got past the books, the writing changed dramatically. Its natural to look at that now and contrast it with how we think that things would have gone in an alternate reality where GRRM actually does his job and they had the last books to use to write the last seasons.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a comedy show. You guys are so weird. Did the CinemaSins guy write a manifesto where he says bad movies with lots of sins need to be destroyed or something? If so then fair, but if not... you're making all of this stuff up yourself.

Maybe there's some really toxic nerds who glomped on to CinemaSins, I haven't run into any. But the same is true of Rick & Morty x 1000, or even Game of Thrones. You just gotta ignore those weirdos, they exist for any work. There are people who think Cartman is the protagonist of South Park, does that make South Park juvenile and hateful? Well, maybe sometimes. Maybe a bad example :laugh:

It's not a comedy show. It's not presented that way, except when the creator is criticised for being a media illiterate dumbass. It's meant to be humorous, sure, but the critiques are not presented as anything other than genuine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Raccooon posted:

They could have just killed Dany right there. She had all her forces within range of the scorpions.

That too. They could've gotten them both in one go.

I mean Cersei has never respected the, uh, decorum of certain war rules so I'm really surprised they had her do that right there.

Maybe she didn't because she was physically close to the front and there's an off chance she would've gotten killed (even though she would have taken out the head of the opposition) and she was a little too insecure about it?

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Raccooon posted:

They could have at the very least killed Tyrion when he walked up to the gate. I mean, she sent a guy to kill him what, a few weeks before? It wouldn't even be bad PR given that everyone in King's Landing thinks he and Sansa murdered the king.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Krabboss posted:

It's not a comedy show. It's not presented that way, except when the creator is criticised for being a media illiterate dumbass. It's meant to be humorous, sure, but the critiques are not presented as anything other than genuine.

"comedic critique" is how they describe themselves and that applies to MST3K too. The tone of voice of all the videos is jokey and comedic. It IS a comedy show, you don't get to tell the authors it isn't because your sense of humor is different.
Anything beyond that is you making it up and then getting upset at the thing you made up. Just chill and treat it like a dumb youtube fart joke because that's all it is.

I think Scary Movie is really dumb but I'm not going to say "it isn't a comedy movie". It is, just one that I think is un-funny. Other people love it though, so good for them. I don't think Scary Movie is trying to say that Scream was a terrible film, its just making dick jokes about Scream.

Accept that its comedy and your life will be a lot easier, friend.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 6, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I genuinely *like* watching Game of Thrones AND I also like watching some of those critique videos (although I've never seen anything by the Cinema Sins folks) if only because they scratch a sort of pulpy cathartic complainer itch but nothing else.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BonoMan posted:

That too. They could've gotten them both in one go.

I mean Cersei has never respected the, uh, decorum of certain war rules so I'm really surprised they had her do that right there.

Maybe she didn't because she was physically close to the front and there's an off chance she would've gotten killed (even though she would have taken out the head of the opposition) and she was a little too insecure about it?

It's because it's a tv show with 2 episodes left and my question was rhetorical and facetious.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Acinonyx posted:

They could have at the very least killed Tyrion when he walked up to the gate. I mean, she sent a guy to kill him what, a few weeks before? It wouldn't even be bad PR given that everyone in King's Landing thinks he and Sansa murdered the king.

This part is weird because I thought Cersei hated Tyrion so much she would kill him on sight.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's because it's a tv show with 2 episodes left and my question was rhetorical and facetious.

Well no poo poo.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I genuinely *like* watching Game of Thrones AND I also like watching some of those critique videos (although I've never seen anything by the Cinema Sins folks) if only because they scratch a sort of pulpy cathartic complainer itch but nothing else.

Cinema Sins main problem is that they feel the need to have a high count of screwups so it’s get super nitpicky real quick.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Raccooon posted:

Prediction: Bran going to kill Euron by warging a shitload of birds into him.

Prediction: Bran does gently caress all the rest of the season.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Raccooon posted:

Cinema Sins main problem is that they feel the need to have a high count of screwups so it’s get super nitpicky real quick.

Oh no doubt. But this thread is pretty nitpicky too. Et tu, Brute?

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
The whole delegation getting wiped out by arrows and bolts would have been a fitting capstone to the "Tyrion is a loving moron" storyline.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dang Qyburn is just really good at everything

He's really just the best

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought the ballistas were cool and scary the way they pulverized those boats. The scene where Tyrion gets mad at Brienne and tries to hurt her while getting away with it during the drinking game was a level of tact Tyrion has not shown in years. The council of Stark children was funny in its own way, an actual funny usage of wheeling Bran out where he doesnt at all belong (and next to Jon and the two freaks Sansa came out looking downright adult). Most of these characters died to me ages ago so the rest of the episode being pretty blah doesnt really bother me.

Idk why they stretch these episodes out so much.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 6, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The show should end with Cersei alive, but in exile across the sea where Dany was when the show started. Their roles reversed but basically everything else is more or less status quo. Seems like a fitting end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

The show should end with Cersei alive, but in exile across the sea where Dany was when the show started. Their roles reversed but basically everything else is more or less status quo. Seems like a fitting end.

Oooh, that is poetic.

But Cersei is just so spiteful I feel like you can't let her live.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh no doubt. But this thread is pretty nitpicky too. Et tu, Brute?

lol at still having a gigantic meltdown over people not liking CinemaSins. Drop it dude, they are seriously a lovely Youtube channel.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Yeah this is the number one experience of nerd culture becoming the dominant culture imo. It’s people finding out that anything that actually exists is going to be way more disappointing than what they can imagine themselves. It’s such a weird... reaction? Subversion? Result? Of the escapist premise of fantasy in general.

I think it also has to do with how massive success can warp an innovative series. Star Wars and Game of Thrones both became hits in part because they were so different from anything they came before, which is a trick that can only happen once.

But the business side of film and tv want repeat successes, so they're incentivized to keep producing the series, but what makes the series good? Not only what elements in the story itself, but also who was involved in making it? Was it the original creator? The director? The screenwriters? The producers? Do you want people who will build on and experiment with the series, or people who will play it safe? Do you try to appeal more to the audience who's in it for the spectacle, or who's in it for the story? How do you adapt the series to changing times? And how do you compete with nostalgia for what came before, which often sets a standard for the new material that's hard to reach?

All those questions affect the subsequent decisions, which can be increasingly difficult to balance as time goes on. It takes a lot of work to make a series stay successful. It's a lot easier for a few mistakes, in management or direction, to upend it, or leave the audience divided.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

lol at still having a gigantic meltdown over people not liking CinemaSins. Drop it dude, they are seriously a lovely Youtube channel.

Saying "they're not that bad though? MST3K is about the same? Don't get so upset about it who cares its youtube poop" is a gigantic meltdown?

I think the people freaking out about how its a sin against nature are the ones having the meltdown but sure.

This person disagrees with me so clearly he is having a meltdown! Such a lazy way to try to win an internet argument I said come in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Saying "they're not that bad though? MST3K is about the same? Don't get so upset about it who cares its youtube poop" is a gigantic meltdown?

I think the people freaking out about how its a sin against nature are the ones having the meltdown but sure.

This person disagrees with me so clearly he is having a meltdown! Such a lazy way to try to win an internet argument I said come in.

You're bringing it up in every single post you make in this thread, and writing multiple huge paragraph rants about it lmao.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Xanderkish posted:

I think it also has to do with how massive success can warp an innovative series. Star Wars and Game of Thrones both became hits in part because they were so different from anything they came before, which is a trick that can only happen once.

But the business side of film and tv want repeat successes, so they're incentivized to keep producing the series, but what makes the series good? Not only what elements in the story itself, but also who was involved in making it? Was it the original creator? The director? The screenwriters? The producers? Do you want people who will build on and experiment with the series, or people who will play it safe? Do you try to appeal more to the audience who's in it for the spectacle, or who's in it for the story? How do you adapt the series to changing times? And how do you compete with nostalgia for what came before, which often sets a standard for the new material that's hard to reach?

All those questions affect the subsequent decisions, which can be increasingly difficult to balance as time goes on. It takes a lot of work to make a series stay successful. It's a lot easier for a few mistakes, in management or direction, to upend it, or leave the audience divided.

I'm still stinging that Frank Darabont was fired from TWD.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

this was the single dumbest ep in a series that once included The Sand Snakes lol

Feb 2, 2005
Why the gently caress is anyone from that parley still alive? Cersei is a lunatic, but she isn't stupid. She could end everything and lock her reign down with no complications. Why the gently caress does the challenger to the throne show up to a parley, within ballista range? It's the stupidest thing that's happened in a show full of stupid things.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Just watched this. Some thoughts which i'm sure have been said in the 1000 replies since i last visited the thread.

Way better than the last episode, at least the last 20 minutes.

Nice to see they dont understand this show is at it's best with nuanced characters and they're going full ahead with my predictions that they make Dany a complete psycho to make this conflict purely black and white and have her inevitable death be ok with the rabid fanbase (her hearing voices, clearly showing she has that Targ madness, Vary's saying she's turning into a tyrant, she's probably going to commit some atrocity next).

Jon is a moron but we always knew this however even he's not that blind and it's their lazy way of setting up the feud with Dany. And what is Bran's plan here? He must know the bloodshed it will cause yet he says nothing?

That dragon death was nice and unexpected, but realllly they had to have Euron be the one firing the weapon? God sake do I hate this shows writing and directing. Also you couldnt even emote after seeing your dragon die which is essentially your child in your eyes?

How much of a loving moron is Euron supposed to be that he cant tell Cersei is disgusted with him and will get rid of him when she's done? (Answer: a massive moron).

No one even mentions Ayra is gone? She's the quickest way to end the war and no one at the battle plan is like hey we can't find Ayra maybe we could have used her?

loving give Ghost a hug you oval office.

Tyrion/ Peter Dinklage is as always the best thing about the show, any scene with him and Varys interacting just elevates it to another level if only for a moment. Though Jaime is a close second.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Gotta be honest, when Cersei asked if she had any final words, I thought Missandei was gonna say valar morghulis and tackle her off the wall.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I'm still stinging that Frank Darabont was fired from TWD.

I never made it through second season of that show. First season was cool then second season was a bunch of people sitting on a farm and crying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

You're bringing it up in every single post you make in this thread, and writing multiple huge paragraph rants about it lmao.

Where's the huge paragraph rants? Again you're just making poo poo up as a lazy way to feel superior. I can play that game too but its just pointless bickering. Say something about thrones or cinemasins or keep it to yourself.

If by "bringing it up in every single post" you mean "replying to people who reply to me about it, continuing a conversation, while also posting about thrones in-between" yeah sure. Its called having a discussion. gently caress off dude.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 6, 2019

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

me, walking up to Mike Pence with a gun: I'm gonna shoot you unless you make me secretary of the interior

Mike Pence: please don't shoot me, I'll give you whatever you want, you can be the new secretary of the interior

me: pinky promise?

Mike Pence: pinky promise

me, walking out the door: cool.. can't believe I'm secretary of the interior now, i should buy a new suit.. does somebody else update the Wikipedia entry or should I go ahead and do that myself. . .

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Raccooon posted:

I never made it through second season of that show. First season was cool then second season was a bunch of people sitting on a farm and crying.

I love how the first season was so good and massively successful that the execs at AMC made the decision to.... try to massively cut the budget and force them into static set pieces to be more financially efficient (I'm guessing so they could just straight pocket all the cash?). It just neutered the entire show from that point forward.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Raccooon posted:

I think Cinema Sin's problem is like a lot of the internet content factory, where it stakes its reputation on having a particular point of view or way of critique and has to stay afloat by constantly producing content about whatever is topical viewed exclusively through that lens, meaning you have to make a lot of stuff that is disingenuous, stereotypical fluff because it's faster and easier than more thoughtful, nuanced takes that don't attract as big an audience.

Someone did a video at some point discussing how, for example, the CS people made their videos longer as it turned out that longer videos could be more profitable. Longer videos mean you're more likely to, as you said, scrap the bottom of the barrel for critiques.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Raccooon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P224BTri7RQ

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Xanderkish posted:

I think Cinema Sin's problem is like a lot of the internet content factory, where it stakes its reputation on having a particular point of view or way of critique and has to stay afloat by constantly producing content about whatever is topical viewed exclusively through that lens, meaning you have to make a lot of stuff that is disingenuous, stereotypical fluff because it's faster and easier than more thoughtful, nuanced takes that don't attract as big an audience.

Someone did a video at some point discussing how, for example, the CS people made their videos longer as it turned out that longer videos could be more profitable. Longer videos mean you're more likely to, as you said, scrap the bottom of the barrel for critiques.

Lol I just watched the Cinema Sins on the game of thrones pilot. Haven't seen his stuff in years. Its so bad. The counter is just the marker for when the punchlines come on his really lovely jokes and not actual screw ups.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This isn't even the worst thing to happen! :v: God that show was so bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

How did they film that scene and keep loading the gun with blanks and not even think it was weird?

E: I guess that could be digital smoke and he's just pumping the gun over and over and nobody thought about it. Yeah, there's like no recoil now that I look at it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quote posted:

Why the gently caress is anyone from that parley still alive? Cersei is a lunatic, but she isn't stupid. She could end everything and lock her reign down with no complications. Why the gently caress does the challenger to the throne show up to a parley, within ballista range? It's the stupidest thing that's happened in a show full of stupid things.

It's very dumb yes

I'm hoping the ending is now going for more of a "Cersei wins through doing nothing because the North and Dany can't help but stab each other in the back" vibe but I think it's just going to be something dumb as hell like Jamie walking up and shanking her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Echoing Qyburn is the best and I loved the dawning realisation from Tyrion just how much of a sociopath he is