Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

remember that young griff is probably not a real targ
now that R+L=J is confirmed, "varys+illyrio are blackfyre conspirators, young griff is a blackfyre" is the most plausible of the big fan conspiracy theories remaining

if the three heads of the dragon prophecy does go down, and the first two are dany and jon, the third's gotta be some kinda twist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dorne being mostly cut or altered is my least favorite aspect of the show, because I loved everything about Dorne in the books, even the sand snakes. They'll probably support Dany and then after Cersei is dealt with Dany and the Unsullied and Dornish will fight against the Northmen and yadada Azor Ahai reborn.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mike N Eich posted:

It's weird that there are no other Houses that have cadet branches other than the Lannisters. For as much as GRRM loves to write about minor house bullshit, it beggars belief there weren't minor Stark's or minor Baratheon's or whatever. People have lots of kids and all of them can't inherit so...

the tyrells have various cadet branches - margaery's got a whole platoon of cousins who figure prominently in cersei's King's Landing schemes, there's a few others kicking around Oldtown

the arryns have a cadet branch in Gulltown

martells have at least 1 cadet branch, there's a martell cousin whose name I can't remember who holds one of the bureaucratic posts in sunspear

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 6, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PupsOfWar posted:

remember that young griff is probably not a real targ
now that R+L=J is confirmed, "varys+illyrio are blackfyre conspirators, young griff is a blackfyre" is the most plausible of the big fan conspiracy theories remaining

if the three heads of the dragon prophecy does go down, and the first two are dany and jon, the third's gotta be some kinda twist

I've never believed that Young Griff wasn't a Targ. I know it's been floating around, but the fact that Tyrion is the one who figured it out suggests to me that it's real. At the least, Old Griff is/should definitely be Jon Connington because he clearly remembers loving Rhaegar. I believe Griff is real. But maybe he's not. If he's not, it would explain why the show cut him, because then he is superfluous and not needed in the plot, and makes me wonder wtf Martin wrote him in the first place.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Jaime will stab the Queen to prevent Kings Landing from being burned.

Its like poetry, it rhymes.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I think people hate on Book Dorne because after all that build up and Doran Martell doing the "Blood and Fire" speech, you get POV chapters of Quentyn doing nothing and then dying

Which is kind of hilarious but its mostly infuriating

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 6, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Mike N Eich posted:

The greatest trick GRRM ever pulled was not only getting all of us to complain about his lovely books and the lovely books he's not writing, but also about a terrible no-good TV show he isn't even involved in anymore

the man is a top notch troll. just the top fuckin echelon

the absolute fucker

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Areo Hotah's chapters, all three of them?, might as well be called "a waste of ink on paper".

He has no personality so why pretend that he's anything other than a camera man. He sucked in the show too.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I really thought the show was gonna be obvious about Jaime deciding to gently caress off back south because he feels like he needs to kill Cersei

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They also got Gendry's bastard surname wrong, he's a Waters, not a Rivers.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I really thought the show was gonna be obvious about Jaime deciding to gently caress off back south because he feels like he needs to kill Cersei

I dont make any sense the other way. I mean, he was pretty chill with the idea of staying out north and then he learns that Cercei won a battle and he is like "oh I have to go help her!"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont make any sense the other way. I mean, he was pretty chill with the idea of staying out north and then he learns that Cercei won a battle and he is like "oh I have to go help her!"

Yeah it's pretty clear that's what he's up to but I really expected the show to be so dumb that he'd tell Brienne like "I LOVE YOU, I HAVE TO GO KILL CERSEI, FOR YOU"

Edit: I mean for one thing even this episode itself reminded us that Cersei put a bounty on him and Tyrion and Jaime knows it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/ellievhall/status/1125385230091718656

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I too believe that D&D are trolling GRRM with the show (not being ironic).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

It's weird that there are no other Houses that have cadet branches other than the Lannisters. For as much as GRRM loves to write about minor house bullshit, it beggars belief there weren't minor Stark's or minor Baratheon's or whatever. People have lots of kids and all of them can't inherit so...

In the books? Look at each house's wiki page if you don't want to dig through appendices. For example for the Starks theres Karstark and Greystark.
I think only the Karstarks have been mentioned in the show. https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Stark
For Baratheon they have 2 "semi cannon" houses (Bolling and Winsington) and claim that Stannis and Robert founded cadet houses of the Storms End branch by ruling dragonstone and King's landing which I guess is technically correct.

MoaM posted:

I too believe that D&D are trolling GRRM with the show (not being ironic).

I'm not 100% sure whether its intentional or not, but thats the mark of a good troll.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://twitter.com/KecskeHunter/status/1125281008490823680

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol I lost the tweet but it was something like:

"My favorite part of last nights episode was someone saying 'The New Prince of Dorne has pledged his allegiance' like some writer just remembered Dorne exists at the last second and couldn't even be bothered to give the guy a name"

https://twitter.com/max_read/status/1125233013024010240

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
:lol:

https://twitter.com/HOLYSMKES/status/1125455360339218433

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol I lost the tweet but it was something like:

"My favorite part of last nights episode was someone saying 'The New Prince of Dorne has pledged his allegiance' like some writer just remembered Dorne exists at the last second and couldn't even be bothered to give the guy a name"

They also talked about the Dothraki around the same time as if there still are some alive.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Night King is Thanos and wanted to kill precisely 50% of all the northern allied factions.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Can anybody explain to me what Jon meant when Sam was like, "If it's a boy, we're gonna name him Jon" and Jon said "I hope it's a girl?"

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
He felt unworthy of Sam naming his child after him.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

he was making a joke

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I like how Dany and her dragon sat still in front of like 30 armed ballistae and Cersei was kind enough not to shoot.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Trudis posted:

Can anybody explain to me what Jon meant when Sam was like, "If it's a boy, we're gonna name him Jon" and Jon said "I hope it's a girl?"

Jon is so selfless and weird he doesn't even want kids named after him

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Sam is still going to name his daughter after him and name her Egg

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

less laughter posted:

Sam is still going to name his daughter after him and name her Egg

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

VegasGoat posted:

They also talked about the Dothraki around the same time as if there still are some alive.

Downfall Hitler ordering around non-existant armies on a map.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I still don't get why they didn't get the zombies killing Rhaegal or whatever. I mean, as it is, they killed a bunch of C- and B-list characters, and it seems like the humans got off easy but uh, at least make them lose another dragon or something.

Instead we get this dumb poo poo with Euron, like seriously. I get "why" they did it, to make Cersei seem more of a threat, but its so ludicrous

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The dumbest part is that she flew all the day to the ships, avoided all the arrows, and them fled, instead of using the time it must take to recharge those balistas to scorch at least some ships

edit: also these dragons seems so fragile its a wonder the Targaryans won any war with them. I mean, they didint had the ballista tech the first time?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tbh I thought the way Rhaegal died was fine, it was just a badly made scene. Qyburn has improved the scorpion design and they're strong enough to puncture a dragon's scales now, I'm fine with this w/e. But why bother establishing the fact Rhaegal can barely fly straight after the battle of Winterfell, and not use that as a good reason for why he gets hit lmao

If he'd been trying to evade a volley and went down that way it would be way better, but then we wouldn't get the GOTCHA moment of him just getting murked out of nowhere while Dany's enjoying her flight w/ her kiddos and shocking moments like that are all D&D care about

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Elias_Maluco posted:

The dumbest part is that she flew all the day to the ships, avoided all the arrows, and them fled, instead of using the time it must take to recharge those balistas to scorch at least some ships

broke: thinking dany is actually being smart for once, drawing the enemy fire and then pulling an escape to assess their range, and how long they take to reload before swooping in to burn some of dem greyjoy ships
woke: remembering she's an idiot

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Elias_Maluco posted:

also these dragons seems so fragile its a wonder the Targaryans won any war with them. I mean, they didint had the ballista tech the first time?

Rhaenys' dragon Meraxes was also killed by a ballista.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

esperterra posted:

tbh I thought the way Rhaegal died was fine, it was just a badly made scene. Qyburn has improved the scorpion design and they're strong enough to puncture a dragon's scales now, I'm fine with this w/e. But why bother establishing the fact Rhaegal can barely fly straight after the battle of Winterfell, and not use that as a good reason for why he gets hit lmao

Ah, yes. I forgot Qyburn improved it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Remember how Dorne's successful strategy for resisting Aegon for 10 years until they popped Meraxes was to hide so they couldn't toast them whenever the dragon riders came around to start some poo poo.

I'd give a hearty chuckle if the next episode was 80 minutes of Cersei being all "gently caress going out there."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ah, yes. I forgot Qyburn improved it

The scorpion Bronn uses

Euron's

lmbo Euron needs like four dudes to aim it for him, which makes the trick shots that take down Rhaegal even dumber. Just have him avoid a shitton of fire ffs we spent time earlier in the episode establishing he's in hella bad shape r/n and having trouble flying.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

At the rate of deaths in the show along with whole armies thrown away, the end will be Jon Snow ruling over his royal subjects: Sansa Stark and the other 5 or 6 people who weren't eaten, burned, or murdered.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It's been well established that armies can respawn endlessly as long as their hero units remain alive.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Elias_Maluco posted:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah it's pretty clear that's what he's up to but I really expected the show to be so dumb that he'd tell Brienne like "I LOVE YOU, I HAVE TO GO KILL CERSEI, FOR YOU"

Edit: I mean for one thing even this episode itself reminded us that Cersei put a bounty on him and Tyrion and Jaime knows it.
I was ranting about the Jamie situation a page or 2 ago. It’s so stupid and lazy. Glad to see I’m not alone in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

bloom posted:

It's been well established that armies can respawn endlessly as long as their hero units remain alive.

Zug Zug

Speaking of Zugging, anyone got any ideas as who to play as in the Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings 2?