Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

I spent most of the day arguing with the guy in the next cubicle who seems to think Cap went back and prevented himself from going into the ice.

He may very well have done that. There's nothing preventing him from doing it, because changing the past just creates new alternate timelines. But I don't think he would've done it because there's a high probability that it would doom that timeline to being snapped by Thanos with no Captain American to help fix things.

Point is, it's an irrelevant question unless the MCU ever goes back to these alternate realities and explores them in more detail, which may never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

He went back to become Roger Stevens, guy who fucks Peggy Carter and has a normal life while not touching anything else for fear of breaking the time stream.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

A What If movie series would be fun. Maybe shorts on Disney's streaming service.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In the ASOIAF books, dragonglass, which is an in-universe colloquialism for obsidian, is the only thing shown that can kill White Walkers. They have an aura of cold that shatters regular swords. Book people wondered if Valyrian steel, an alloy whose secrets were long lost but were rumored to involve magic and dragon fire, would also work. The show went on to show that it does. It stands to reason that dragons, who are big and firey and tied to the presence of magic in the world, probably would do pretty well against them too.

Then in the battle of Winterfel, the Night King completely no-sells being bathed in a dragon's fire. Is he tougher than regular White Walkers? Maybe, but getting shanked in the kidney by a Valyrian steel dagger kills him instantly all the same. So does that dagger have more fire magic than a Dragon? Are dragons more mundane than we were lead to believe? Is dragon glass regular obsidian or is it a magic-infused variety? What is going on?!

I'm going to put this under irrationally irritating because I know going into the series that its magic is mysterious and surprising, more akin to miracles. Even the people who delve deep into it are continually mystified. No one has a complete picture of what's going on. Something big is behind the magic of the fire god R'hillor, but that doesn't explain all stuff the Greenseers can do. But I still want to rules lawyer the White Walkers.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I thing the going theory is that the Night King specifically can only be killed by a specific person, Azor Azhai or however it is spelled. So its not the knife so much as who used the knife.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Obviously you have to get something tied to elemental fire inside the body, past the barrier of cold, which means that passing him a lit joint would also work.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

In the ASOIAF books, dragonglass, which is an in-universe colloquialism for obsidian, is the only thing shown that can kill White Walkers. They have an aura of cold that shatters regular swords. Book people wondered if Valyrian steel, an alloy whose secrets were long lost but were rumored to involve magic and dragon fire, would also work. The show went on to show that it does. It stands to reason that dragons, who are big and firey and tied to the presence of magic in the world, probably would do pretty well against them too.

Then in the battle of Winterfel, the Night King completely no-sells being bathed in a dragon's fire. Is he tougher than regular White Walkers? Maybe, but getting shanked in the kidney by a Valyrian steel dagger kills him instantly all the same. So does that dagger have more fire magic than a Dragon? Are dragons more mundane than we were lead to believe? Is dragon glass regular obsidian or is it a magic-infused variety? What is going on?!

I'm going to put this under irrationally irritating because I know going into the series that its magic is mysterious and surprising, more akin to miracles. Even the people who delve deep into it are continually mystified. No one has a complete picture of what's going on. Something big is behind the magic of the fire god R'hillor, but that doesn't explain all stuff the Greenseers can do. But I still want to rules lawyer the White Walkers.

Maybe because dragonfire is a component of dragonglass it's not as effective by itself. Bleach and vinegar separate versus together.

Conversely, a wizard did it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Guyver posted:

A What If movie series would be fun. Maybe shorts on Disney's streaming service.

There is a What If series being produced for the Disney streaming service.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
From everything I can gather, I think it was a mistake to introduce time travel to the MCU.

I know, I know. "LOL a 2.2 billion dollar record shattering 'mistake'"

I just mean, from a storytelling standpoint, loving around with time travel mostly just serves to reduce any dramatic stakes and creates all sorts of weird, sprilaling arguments about why the t-1000 can't just go back and murder Sarah Conner's great grandparents, etc. etc.. I've never been a huge fan of it as a plot device unless it's really limited and self contained to the point that you almost forget about once the film gets rolling.

It just collapses under its own weight most of the time and usually fairly quickly. The MCU was already getting rather leaden, continuity and character wise and just like the comics. I know I'm well in the minority but I've simply lost interest.

To contribute:

What's the ratio of eye patches in movies to eye patches in real life? Because I've never seen an actual one in real life unless a person was just coming off surgery but in movies an eye patch always means "this person is a total badass" (Nick Fury, Snake Plisken, Jack Sparrow, Darrly Hannah in Kill Bill, Battlestar Galactica, Moody from Harry Potter... the dudes from Lost and Oz) and not "gently caress, what happened to your eye?"

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
My Irrational Irritation is that I literally can't enjoy time travel stories due to all the massive plotholes it always creates :v:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Rep Dan Crenshaw has one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People like Nick Fury shouldn't even be allowed to carry a gun because of his lack of depth perception.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

BiggerBoat posted:

From everything I can gather, I think it was a mistake to introduce time travel to the MCU.

I know, I know. "LOL a 2.2 billion dollar record shattering 'mistake'"

I just mean, from a storytelling standpoint, loving around with time travel mostly just serves to reduce any dramatic stakes and creates all sorts of weird, sprilaling arguments about why the t-1000 can't just go back and murder Sarah Conner's great grandparents, etc. etc.. I've never been a huge fan of it as a plot device unless it's really limited and self contained to the point that you almost forget about once the film gets rolling.

It just collapses under its own weight most of the time and usually fairly quickly. The MCU was already getting rather leaden, continuity and character wise and just like the comics. I know I'm well in the minority but I've simply lost interest.

I normally feel the same way, but

Endgame did enough to limit the power of time travel that I still enjoyed it. They made it very explicit that you cannot change the present by altering the past, which heads off most of the problems it usually introduces to a story.

They also just did a huge refresh on their core cast so if this is where you get bored I'm not sure what you're looking for from them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They literally immediately explain the limited, specific uses of time travel in Endgame before they even do any of it.

The problem isn’t time travel it’s the internet.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Panfilo posted:

Rep Dan Crenshaw has one.

And even though I don’t agree with a majority of his policies, his eyepatch does indeed make him look like a badass.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dr Christmas posted:

The directors explained it as being stabbed in the same place the person who became the Night King was stabbed in the ritual to create him.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

The directors explained it as being stabbed in the same place the person who became the Night King was stabbed in the ritual to create him.

Was that in an interview and if so can you link it? I'd like to see that.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Endgame Spoilers.

I just realized just the presence of all the Lebowski jokes are just another tug at the first Ironman and coming full circle, just because Jeff Daniels was in the first Iron Man movie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Van Dis posted:

Was that in an interview and if so can you link it? I'd like to see that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ1yC3yESLQ&t=565s

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

PicklePants posted:

Endgame Spoilers.

I just realized just the presence of all the Lebowski jokes are just another tug at the first Ironman and coming full circle, just because Jeff Daniels was in the first Iron Man movie.

Bridges. The movie would have been way different if Ironmonger had been done in Dumb & Dumber style and I think I want to see that now. :v:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Bussamove posted:

Bridges. The movie would have been way different if Ironmonger had been done in Dumb & Dumber style and I think I want to see that now. :v:

Whoops!

Bridges. You're right.. I even had the IMDB page up. My bad! Still, there was even a Lebowski easter egg in Iron Man, that may have been cut? I remember seeing it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aphrodite posted:

They literally immediately explain the limited, specific uses of time travel in Endgame before they even do any of it.

The problem isn’t time travel it’s the internet.

What was it? I thought the main limit was that Tony didn't want his child erased. What if people decided there are more important things than this one kid?

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Mu Zeta posted:

What was it? I thought the main limit was that Tony didn't want his child erased. What if people decided there are more important things than this one kid?

Voyager I posted:

They made it very explicit that you cannot change the present by altering the past

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Then why was Tony worried about that very thing happening

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Deadpool would make a snide remark to the camera about how time travel is fine.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

because he hadn't figure out how it worked at that point, then afterwards he does a montage where he figures out how it works

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mu Zeta posted:

It's possible that having all the Infinity Stones would have let them rewind their own timeline (they're always vague about what exactly this kind of cosmic power entails), but even ignoring the part where it un-creates Tony's daughter along everyone who came into existence in the intervening fives years, it still comes with the normal costs of obtaining and using the stones - it's a mortal hazard for the bearer, and the Soul Stone's bargain cannot be undone. Imagine the mess if they'd set things back only for the gauntlet to fry one of the Avengers while Gamora and Black Widow continued to not exist.

Edit: and also the above.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo people
(Endgame)
Tony was worried about unmaking his daughter with the un-snap, not ever with the time travel!

He was somewhat worried about dying himself during the heist or making things somehow even worse with the stones after they got them but at no point thought time travel alone could change the timeline. They made a huge point about how all the actually smart people were already clear on this, goofing on Ant Man for believing movie logic

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

I guess everyone just gets used to their new realities where there are, for all intents immortals just wandering around. Like no one seems at all concerned that Thor is thousands of years old and has just relocated his similarly ageless Asgardians to Earth where even the stupidest of them will be demigods. Which brings up something else, is Thor better than other Asgardians? He's extra strong and has a hammer, but is he still biologically similar to a Asgard dirt farmer? Did Earth just get a bunch of Thors?

Big part of that that you're missing is that his full name is Thor Odinson. Because he's one of Odin's kids. So yes, he's a little bit better than other Asgardians because he's one of the kids of a big figure in Norse mythology. Which puts him a bit beyond the run of the mill, handcuff-tearing Asgardians.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BiggerBoat posted:

What's the ratio of eye patches in movies to eye patches in real life? Because I've never seen an actual one in real life unless a person was just coming off surgery but in movies an eye patch always means "this person is a total badass" (Nick Fury, Snake Plisken, Jack Sparrow, Darrly Hannah in Kill Bill, Battlestar Galactica, Moody from Harry Potter... the dudes from Lost and Oz) and not "gently caress, what happened to your eye?"

There's Rosamund Pike in A Private War, but that is a biopic for Marie Colvin. Since she was a journalist operating in warzones, she was a case for both: lost her eye during work, wanted to look hardened (I think). I also imagine it is less maintenance when you are frequently surrounded by rubble and dust.

Mu Zeta posted:

People like Nick Fury shouldn't even be allowed to carry a gun because of his lack of depth perception.

If you are blind in one eye, do you still need to shut that eyelid to focus when using a sniper scope tho? Half joke, half serious question

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I saw a guy bike by me wearing an eyepatch last week

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Prosthetics are more common, but they are made to be unnoticeable, so movies use patches.
When they do use fake eyes, they have to spend extra time drawing attention to them, like MacKenzie Crook's wooden eyed pirate or Charles Dance in Last Action hero

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
A big endgame iIIMM for me was how the hell did Cap return the stones to the original timeline, when they were changed? I mean, the space gem came out of the tesseract, so he can't really return the cube. The reality gem was a stone, and not a big angry red cloud (that he somehow has to inject into Natalie Portman), and the Mind gem was originally in the scepter but whoops they had to break the stone and get it out. I can't remember if they took the power gem out of the holder before they poofed out to return to nowadays, but if they didn't, then it wasn't in the little orb when Cap headed off.

If they are supposed to return everything as it was, that's gonna be a problem.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

A big endgame iIIMM for me was how the hell did Cap return the stones to the original timeline, when they were changed? I mean, the space gem came out of the tesseract, so he can't really return the cube. The reality gem was a stone, and not a big angry red cloud (that he somehow has to inject into Natalie Portman), and the Mind gem was originally in the scepter but whoops they had to break the stone and get it out. I can't remember if they took the power gem out of the holder before they poofed out to return to nowadays, but if they didn't, then it wasn't in the little orb when Cap headed off.

If they are supposed to return everything as it was, that's gonna be a problem.

I don't think the point was to return everything where it was so that nobody would notice that they were gone. I think the point was just that the Infinity Stones had to exist in the dimension to prevent some kind of wibbly wobbly dimensiony fracturey things from happening.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

I don't think the point was to return everything where it was so that nobody would notice that they were gone. I think the point was just that the Infinity Stones had to exist in the dimension to prevent some kind of wibbly wobbly dimensiony fracturey things from happening.

Endgame Did the stones have to exist in that timeline so that Thanos could still create his Infinity Gauntlet and the Avengers defeat him?

Wouldn't it be weird if really old Steve Rogers got erased in the Snap and the only reason he's still alive 4 years later to give Sam the shield is because he was 'paused' along with half the universe and apparently ALL of Spider-man's high school friends.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Endgame [spoiler]Did the stones have to exist in that timeline so that Thanos could still create his Infinity Gauntlet and the Avengers defeat him?

Deleted because I dunno wtf

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 15:18 on May 7, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Not for that specific reason no, but more generally the
Your spoiler should start about three words sooner

Edit: you edited it out but the existence of the ancient one in Endgame is itself a spoiler

Vv oh, whelp vV

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Your spoiler should start about three words sooner

Something weird is going on, the spoiler tag isn't working and I can't figure out why so I was randomly editing to try to figure it out but I'm at a loss.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Endgame: Thanos’ second Snap destroyed all the stones in 2019. So for five years the universe has no Infinity Stones. Which the Ancient One says is bad. When they get them from the past, they use them and then Steve puts them back in their proper space/time.

So what happens to the universe without any Infinity Stones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mister Mind posted:

Endgame: Thanos’ second Snap destroyed all the stones in 2019. So for five years the universe has no Infinity Stones. Which the Ancient One says is bad. When they get them from the past, they use them and then Steve puts them back in their proper space/time.

So what happens to the universe without any Infinity Stones?

That's the one every new MCU movie will take place in, so stay tuned True Believer!

(The explanation, if they bother to give one, will probably be that all of them disappearing at once is fine because balance etc. etc.)