Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play "Tetris Friends"

Tetris Friends is a collection of various browser games that offer addictive little spins on everyone's favorite puzzle game. The idea was to log in, play the games, compete with friends, compare scores and badges and buy things. It was a quick, cute go-to place for all your most basic Tetris needs, and had a flavor to suit just about anyone.

What happened?

The games are all based in Flash, and Flash is dying. It's a sad state of affairs, but soon Tetris Friends and its games will be gone forever. Preserving them for future generations to play would be incredibly difficult, because they seem to only load when they detect an online advertisement is running properly before start-up. The games won't blow anyone away, but they still deserve to be preserved.

I have a friend that deeply loves Tetris, and I'll be using their footage while providing commentary about the various games from both an expert and casual player's perspective. Don't expect an emotional rollercoaster, but it should still be enjoyable.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Tetris, Tetris, all they talk about it Tetris.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

cokerpilot posted:

Tetris, Tetris, all they talk about it Tetris.

There's a surprisingly large amount to talk about with all the different ports. Not in these specific games, but the other ports.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can check if it's been archived on flashpoint, and if not, request it be added to the archive.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

General Revil posted:

You can check if it's been archived on flashpoint, and if not, request it be added to the archive.

Already had someone pretty familiar with flash try to archive it, but I'll check there next. Doesn't change the fact that the social networking aspects and multiplayer functionality would be gone, though.

Edit: Put in a request on Flashpoint for the other games.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 8, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This is where I'd put footage of Tetris Burst, if I could.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It turns out it's much worse than I anticipated, and over a dozen Tetris game are going down at once on May 31st, not just Tetris Friends. I may close the thread and focus on preserving as many of them as possible with a different method, we'll see.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Our march continues with arguably the most straightforward score attack game ever produced.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's like Tetris Ultra, but not really

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Oh what? I finish a game of Tetris Survival like every day, and it's going away at the end of the month?

:(

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Zeniel posted:

Oh what? I finish a game of Tetris Survival like every day, and it's going away at the end of the month?

:(

The entire Tetris Friends website is being removed after May 31st, yeah.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

"nblxo is gross"

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

i have great comedic timing

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Death is near.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Time for one last game I suppose...

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Zeniel posted:

Time for one last game I suppose...

I'm sure there are a lot of people giving it one last spin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rest in peace, Tetris Friends