Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

jassi007 posted:

It was gradual. Duplo for 2-5ish years old, then some basic lego buckets, then some sets. The Duplo motorized train was a big hit, as were barnyard animals. My older son never really cared that much about cars and trucks, he's also loved video games and dino's etc. So minecraft and Jurassic Park sets are great. My younger son loves cars, so speed champions, police sets with bad guys are a big hit with him. We've branched into some super hero stuff also, they both like DC and Marvel. Star Wars has not been a big hit with them. My older son loves to build things, but doesn't play with them a TON. My younger son isn't as interested in building, though he is a little, but he likes playing more.

Regarding sails. I have a Black Sea's Barracuda and Caribbean Clipper that need new sails. I've been eyeballing these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Substitut-...353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Substituti...353.m1438.l2649

Repro's but who cares about that for the sails? I haven't pulled the trigger yet, the ships are at my dads house. He loves them from my childhood so they're on his dresser in his bedroom.

Thanks for your thoughts, it is much appreciated. Great find on the sails. I had no idea there was a market large enough for someone to justify making them like that. I am going to see if there is a UK seller who produces some. I bet the merchant ones from the trading post are a harder find though because of the print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Does Lepin make sales? Is there a difference between Lepin products and those ebay auctions?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I did this in my daughter's nursery, she had no chance on not liking Lego....

I started her off with Duplo and graduated to normal Lego. I gave her a massive chunk of my loose bricks and I bought a huge Friends collection and combined those together. Now I won't build a new set without her help and barely a week goes by without us playing Lego.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mitochondritom posted:

I was thinking back to my youth and I can remember getting a "big" set on Christmas or my Birthday and it was a huge deal for me. My collection as a child was built up over a decade and today, my daughter stands to inherit at least 3x that with my impulsive adult spending.

It's kind of funny looking back at my Lego collection as a kid and how I always thought I had a lot of Lego, and my mom always said I had too many Legos. When I picked up my childhood collection from my parents house it was a single 5 gallon detergent bucket full. If I disassembled all of the sets I've bought over the last 5 years since I got back into it, I'm pretty sure I could fill 30 of those lol. Not to mention an entire corner of a closet full of spare parts.

Now I think I officially probably have too much Lego.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
My laptop just took a crap on me, and I have some architecture sets I'd like to unload to help finance a replacement. Anyone interested in the below, all complete with box and instructions. If I could sell them as a lot that would be ideal

Robie house - bl pricing $250

Villa Savoye - bl pricing $70

Imperial Hotel - bl pricing $83

Sungnyemun - bl pricing $113

Also have a mini modular I could part with. - bl pricing $111

I'll nuke this if not allowed. It's been a while since I've put something up and I can't find much actually sold here or in SA mart.
e: pics, xposted in SAMart

Figured I'd offer here before ebay, BL, or CL

[ts]xenophobe fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 8, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

mitochondritom posted:

A question for those amongst us with children. How did you introduce your Lego to your children and how did they respond?

I have recently become a father and while it is still four or five years until my daughter will be ready for Lego, I am already starting to wonder what I should do with all my stuff.

I have what I would call a modest collection (at least based on my years of browsing Eurobricks, here and Reddit) and last year I bought some storage units with the grand aim of parting out my collection, to hopefully inspire me to either rebuild childhood sets or make a real stab at doing some creative moc type stuff. Here is the state of my sorting as of today.

My efforts sorting have stalled because:

1. Newborn.
2. I realised that what I had was not sufficient to sort into the level of granularity I had in mind.

Step two was partly because there is a lot of stuff and also because, drat, there are so many types of element now. The two boxes on the right of the image contain baseplates and the remainder of my collection to be sorted. The Ikea units and acro-mils type drawers are practically saturated. Essentially taking a step back, I realised that for many years I have intended to start doing stuff with my Lego, but really I have just been acumulating it because I love the stuff. I am really looking forward in the future to playing with my daughter, but wonder if my efforts sorting will be futile when in a few years time it will be better to dump it all into a pile for her.

Another thought was that it could be quite intimidating to just let her at all this. Perhaps it would be better to "portion" it out or something as I wouldn't want her to be overwhelmed and put off. I think it would make me really happy to see her playing with Lego as it meant so much to me growing up, so I am anxious not to gently caress it up. Has anyone had a similar experience? How did it go? I should stress that I am not an extreme jorts collector, I am not fussed about the purity of my 1990's stuff getting mixed with newer Lego. I don't think it will bother me to let her dismantle my Death Star and I very much intend for it to be "our" Lego and not "my" Lego. I know that some people keep their stuff separate from their children's Lego.

Anyone's thoughts or experiences would be really useful.

I have a 6 year old who likes it.
We used to have Duplo, which he liked but wasn't that crazy for. But to be fair, I found the roleplay value of the stuff we had to be a little lacking until a lot later when he was nearing Lego age anyway.

When he got his first Lego cars (A little over 4 years) he immediately took a liking to them. He loves cars and loves taking cars apart. So lego cars with their amazing ability to roll really well and being capable of being taken apart and being put back together was exactly his jam.
He received some of his own Lego and played a little with some of my old Lego back when it was still with Grandma.

Now all Lego has found it's way to us, including the Lego belonging to my brother-in-law. My wife and I bought the same cabinets you have and sorted it by color. We also have 2 crates for complete sets or stuff that he's built that he's proud of.
Figures and windows/transparent canopies were put in the same drawer.

At first he was a little rough with it, but I didn't mind. Lego is mostly indestructible anyway.
Though I did remove smaller/rarer/more fragile stuff. Like Antennas/small lights.
I later on discovered old space helmets were also quite fragile so those have been removed from play as well.

I have my own (Starwars) collection set up in my office. He's actually allowed to play with that if he wants to, but only when there are no friends over. Thing is, I trust him. I don't trust his friends. (and I've been proven right so far)
But everything else he can just access freely. We occasionally build something from instructions. I have all of our instruction bound together in a big folder we can leaf through.

We do play a lot together though. :) Both building and general playing.

The only thing I've noticed now that's starting to worry me is that he plays differently from me. That sounds wrong, but what I mean is that almost all of my figures are pretty much pristine despite my many hours of playing with them.
Like I never realized the joke with Bennies helmet/emblem, because all of my classic space men are in perfect condition.
I have perfect helmets, perfect prints and heads/legs that stay attached of Mtron, Blacktron, Classic Space, Black Knights, old City you name it.
It's because I rarely swapped parts from my mini figs. He however does regularly swap shirts/pants, which is causing some of the older (and even some newer) stuff to become very loose. :(

I'm contemplating removing some of the classic space/Black knights/Mtron/Blacktron stuff from the box for now, because I know those are well loved and may be worth something later on if they remain in their current condition.
But I don't really want to remove them either because they're also meant to be played with.
In addition, he has taken a liking to a lot of the stuff I used to love and that just warms my heart.

Now regarding the parting out, something I haven't seen mentioned yet.
But in retrospect it's not quite perfectly ideal for (all) kids depending on the age.
My son had a tendency to only grab 1 color making extremely boring constructs. Especially since I don't have every type of plate/slope in every color.
Us big kids now exactly which parts exist in which colors and where to find them. He only knew about bricks and wheels. He didn't know hinges, different slopes, foldy thingies, plates with centralized studs, "binoculars", wings etc. And I didn't have all those in the 1-2 colors that he preferred.
It took a bit of aging and me playing with him (woe is me) for him to learn the different pieces available and start grabbing other boxes to make more imaginative constructs.

Sorting for us has worked perfectly by the way, he doesn't dump stuff into the wrong color and set his friends straight if they do it.

While a nightmare for us, I do think a big box of everything works better for kids creativity.
I would suggest making a selection of parts to work with, dump that into a box and have them start with that.

mitochondritom posted:

I sorted these guys out to keep them safe from myself. The classic space guys pre-date me. I think they were my uncles. I am of the Space Police II, Blacktron II, Ice Planet and Spyruis era.
I didn't think about those Mtron panels. He doesn't use them, maybe I should remove them from the box as well.

Since we're talking about kids and Lego's.
I have a whole bunch of sets I bought and still want to make, but I haven't yet. As I don't want him to see me constantly getting new toys.
Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I don't think that I set a good example if he seems me constantly buying stuff that I want whenever it strikes my fancy.
I also want to teach him that saving money is also a good idea and that you can't get everything you want. (and that lesson stands as long as he doesn't look in the attic)
In general, I will reward myself with something if I do something really good. (like finally hanging that shelf)

Do any of you guys ever consider that, or do you just buy it anyway?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Darth TNT posted:

Since we're talking about kids and Lego.
I have a whole bunch of sets I bought and still want to make, but I haven't yet. As I don't want him to see me constantly getting new toys.
Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I don't think that I set a good example if he seems me constantly buying stuff that I want whenever it strikes my fancy.
I also want to teach him that saving money is also a good idea and that you can't get everything you want. (and that lesson stands as long as he doesn't look in the attic)
In general, I will reward myself with something if I do something really good. (like finally hanging that shelf)

I'm thinking a lot about that too right now. My son is only 7 months old so there's still a lot of time, but I would agree. I think it sets a bad example to constantly be buying yourself Lego (or any other luxury item for that matter) as it can encourage bad spending habits with kids who have no concept of budget. Personally I'm stocking up on stuff I want now while I can get away with it, and when my son gets older I'll cut back. It's an advantage being into vintage themes as I don't have to worry about new sets coming out!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
On the Duplo topic I have a 2641 from my childhood that my kids like and it's really a shame that there's no equivalent "jumbo" plane in Duplo today.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I have two kids (3 and 8). They are lightly interested in Lego, but don't dig them out too often. The older one mainly gets as far as putting the minifigs together and then ignores the rest of the set to play with them.

On a related note, I just watched The Lego Movie 2 with my sick younger kiddo and really liked it. Probably because we're dealing with the main conflict of the movie on a daily basis.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Darth TNT posted:

Since we're talking about kids and Lego's.

Yes. If I come across crazy sales/clearances for interesting sets or ones I really want, I'll buy them but stash them in the garage until some later point where I think it's borh appropriate and not gratuitous. Probably 8-10 seta of various type in there now, ranging from $10 Nexo Knight cannons (half price, 5c pp avg, lots of angles gold tile pieces) to Destiny's Bounty (33% off), and the UCS Snowspeeder (30% off).

And then as far as the kids are concerned, daddy only gets a new set on Father's Day or his birthday or Hanukkah or something.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWhQNQoWo9s

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

I wonder how much distance/power you could get out of using motors and gearing to drive a couple of wheels and launching stuff like a pitching machine.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Vonreg's TIE Pimpterceptor is hell of swooshable. I don't know anything about the character, but his ride is fly as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That set sort of just makes me mad lol. Don't get me wrong it's cool, but and interceptor has been at the top of my want list for years and they finally do one and it's loving red.

Lego has done a lot of color swapped repeats lately though so I am hoping that means a proper interceptor is in the works soon. They did it with the Disney Tie and X wing within like 6 months so I'm hoping that's the case again. Saw it the Lego store and it's a very nice set though. I just cannot bring myself to buy a red Tie.

Edit: I guess that's have to do more than a palette swap though. It's more of a Tie Advanced with interceptor wings that an exact copy now that I'm looking at it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 7, 2019

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I probably have thousands of dollars worth of out of production lego sets right now and the first thing Im doing when my niece turns like, 8, is breaking everything down and giving the tubs to her. I have my saturn v and two cars at my work desk, thats enough for me

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You will probably regret it after a while... I am not kidding.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Build your coffin and gravestone out of Lego. Fill your coffin with Lego, too.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
I got our two daughters into Lego young by the best hook possible: bricklink'd a ton of Duplo figures and animals. I believe we are around 40 people and 70 animals. I tried to get at least one of every animal, and multiples of the ones they love. Turned out to be a great way for them to learn animal names, seeing and playing with brown bears, black bears, baby bears, panda bears, and polar bears. Almost every day turns up into them making a zoo and building bricks for the animais to have homes or places to eat. Over time, those homes start to resemble a house instead of a few flat bricks and some windows.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Hopper posted:

You will probably regret it after a while... I am not kidding.

Yeah don't do this, those sets will disappear forever. Just get some of those tubs that have a mix of pieces in them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's lego. Missing parts can be replaced if it ends up being important.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

xzzy posted:

Not if it was a rare piece that costs ten dollars.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

xzzy posted:

Replaced, yes. By Lego? No, if it's rare. (cue evil laughter from BrickLink-seller)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The pieces don't even need to be missing, the stuff will never get rebuilt and you'll have giant tubs no kid is interested in. As long as I had Lego I had a mix of sets built like the box and also random blocks I could build whatever with.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

xzzy posted:

[laughs classic spacily]

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

[laughs classic spacily]

I've replaced several classic space parts via bricklink. :shrug:

I even bought a TV antenna. Obviously I paid through the nose but I got the part.

At any rate, if it's that big a deal, just filter out the expensive parts during disassembly and stash them away. This isn't rocket surgery.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Waltzing Along posted:

Build your coffin and gravestone out of Lego. Fill your coffin with Lego, too.

Obviously I’m going to be interred in a full size replica of the mausoleum of Theoderic made entirely of Lego.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Anyone trading Disney CMFs? I’ve got two extra Hades, a Chip (the one with the acorn), and a Jasmine. I’m looking for Hercules, Scrooge McDuck, and Jafar.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As always, I preordered the whole set in advance. Which I always recommend other people do, as well. It's not as much fun as pulling them yourself, but you also don't sit there for an hour feeling packs and possibly screw one up. And you end up paying the same or less.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-10/meth-found-lego-box-second-hand-shop/11100158

That is a lot of loving lego

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Smoke it before sorting, you'll be done in no time!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, they could have just sold all of that meth and had almost enough money to buy one of the bigger Star Wars sets.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I finished up building the 20th anniversary Slave 1 and drat it's a nice piece. Kinda makes me wish I got the USC Slave 1 but I couldn't ever justify the price and I think anything bigger would have been too much. While I like the swiveling feature of the cockpit I'm not too bit on how the cockpit itself looks; kinda empty and not really... cockpit..y. Oh well, overall great piece and I'm surprised that it's taken be this long to get a Boba Fett minifig.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

What can you build with that.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Your addiction...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It didn't seem odd that the box was shrink wrapped?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

It didn't seem odd that the box was shrink wrapped?

Sure, if your wardrobe is filled with jorts.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
it was brought second hand, i dunno how it is in the states but here some of those stores shrink wrap boxes of things like lego to prevent people from opening them and gutting the contents

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I finally took the plunge and dropped :20bux: on a pair of 6571's. My pieced together Mars Rover is finally complete and the rocker-bogie suspension is really loving cool to play with.
:hellyeah:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really enjoy my Mars Rover. It's a cool design. Also, it launched on my birthday, which is really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nth Doctor posted:

I finally took the plunge and dropped :20bux: on a pair of 6571's. My pieced together Mars Rover is finally complete and the rocker-bogie suspension is really loving cool to play with.
:hellyeah:

Why $20?