Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KillHour posted:

Abject? Or is there a meaning of object I'm not familiar with?

An object lesson is a notable practical demonstration.

Eg; "Do you want to see what happens if you fail?"

:commissar:

"Get back to work".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I'm trying to boot a computer into safe mode and was shocked to discover that it requires a BitLocker key. I'd pull the hard drive and just dump it but BitLocker is going to shut that down too. Guess I'm gonna have to copy all the files over via command prompt.

Windows Explorer is corrupted to gently caress and I can't get past the login screen.

But you can get to the login screen? Then you should also be able to access the machine via network, e.g. the C$ share.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

nielsm posted:

But you can get to the login screen? Then you should also be able to access the machine via network, e.g. the C$ share.

It gives a black screen with a cursor, but doesn't log into Windows. I tried manually running Explorer via Task Manager but no dice. I did manage to get into a File Explorer window by right clicking a process and using "show process location". Fun part of this is that any time I right click the window crashes. Somehow I'm managing to copy files over to an external hard drive with this broken OS shell and keystrokes.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
Documentation!

I'm curious how you all do documentation for your systems. We currently have a spreadsheet, which is something we want to get away from. I setup confluence about 2 years ago and use it for SOPs and application/integration stuff. But I'm tryin to figure out the "system" of documenting our infrastructure (hardware, VMs, special snowflakes etc). I went way overboard in planning for one system that used a lot of tags and dynamic lists within confluence, but I am thinking that it is probably too complicated (read: error prone and not useful if you don't manually do everything.)

I would like to do it in such a way as to be able to see our lists from different perspectives, (by OS, SQL version for example).

Anyone done something like this before and have any straightforward ways to do it. I just don't want to spin my wheels and build a rocket ship to the moon just to have a good inventory of what we have.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

ptier posted:

Documentation!

I'm curious how you all do documentation for your systems. We currently have a spreadsheet, which is something we want to get away from. I setup confluence about 2 years ago and use it for SOPs and application/integration stuff. But I'm tryin to figure out the "system" of documenting our infrastructure (hardware, VMs, special snowflakes etc). I went way overboard in planning for one system that used a lot of tags and dynamic lists within confluence, but I am thinking that it is probably too complicated (read: error prone and not useful if you don't manually do everything.)

I would like to do it in such a way as to be able to see our lists from different perspectives, (by OS, SQL version for example).

Anyone done something like this before and have any straightforward ways to do it. I just don't want to spin my wheels and build a rocket ship to the moon just to have a good inventory of what we have.

Ours is a combination of things. We have a pretty decent Inventory/Asset management solution (Lansweeper). And we have the benefit of having a really robust Document Management System (cause Law Firm) with full text indexing and searching. Lastly our KB in Service Now is really fleshed out for all support type documentation.

Lansweeper can be checked, or configured with reports, to tell you pretty much anything about any system or group of systems in our entire environment. And in our DMS we created some standard documentation that is filled out on the creation of any system/solution. Since the DMS has full text searching you can search the IT repository in it for anything you need to know and find any document that references it. KB articles in Service Now get added any time there are multiple Incidents for an issue (even if it doesn't warrant a "Problem").

TheFace fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 7, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Our new guy has been annoyingly productive and efficient about getting all the documentation tasks and various "we can't be arsed" jobs we set him done in a timely manner, and frankly it's going to make the rest of us look bad.

We may have to kill him. Or explain the Scotty doctrine of engineering (Tell them four hours, when you can do it in two.)

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

TheFace posted:

Ours is a combination of things. We have a pretty decent Inventory/Asset management solution (Lansweeper). And we have the benefit of having a really robust Document Management System (cause Law Firm) with full text indexing and searching. Lastly our KB in Service Now is really fleshed out for all support type documentation.

Lansweeper can be checked, or configured with reports, to tell you pretty much anything about any system or group of systems in our entire environment. And in our DMS we created some standard documentation that is filled out on the creation of any system/solution. Since the DMS has full text searching you can search the IT repository in it for anything you need to know and find any document that references it. KB articles in Service Now get added any time there are multiple Incidents for an issue (even if it doesn't warrant a "Problem").

This is not a bad logical separation. Our ticket system is bad and we should feel bad. OTRS from about 4 years ago. Need to do updates but its just been so on the bottom of the list. Newer versions might actually be ok, need to test those out, Otherwise, I think we can work with something like that.

Thanks!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Our new guy has been annoyingly productive and efficient about getting all the documentation tasks and various "we can't be arsed" jobs we set him done in a timely manner, and frankly it's going to make the rest of us look bad.

We may have to kill him. Or explain the Scotty doctrine of engineering (Tell them four hours, when you can do it in two.)
Don't you love competent new people?

We brought in a junior guy a few months ago to, among things, keep the ticket queue down. I don't know if I've seen an open and unassigned ticket in 2 months.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not sure if I prefer unassigned tickets with no notes in that are being actively worked on by somebody who just doesn't feel the need to communicate with their peers, or an unassigned ticket with no notes in just because nobody has picked it up yet.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you have any printers that need administration? Point him that way and watch the earnestness drain away.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

ptier posted:

Our ticket system is bad and we should feel bad. OTRS from about 4 years ago. Need to do updates but its just been so on the bottom of the list. Newer versions might actually be ok, need to test those out

Been there. Last year in fact. (Or rather, last updated OTRS in 2016 and ran through June 2018). Replaced it last June with Freshdesk. Gotta say, not running/updating your own ticket system is great. For us OTRS kept being exactly what you said - shoemaker's children syndrome, updating it bottom of the list in terms of importance because there was always something else more important and it was quote working. I'd strongly suggest looking into a SaaS system if you're able/have budget simply because unless you've got people devoted to keeping the ticket system going, i.e. ServiceNow, it's just gonna always be bottom of the list.

Plus OTRS' smartphone app was an atrocious piece of poo poo and it's nice having a real app now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seconding that a good remote app makes a huge difference. It enables stuff like chucking quick notes into tickets while you're working, rather than trying to remember that stuff to update it later.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I literally just got the approval for Freshservice today. After messing around with the trial for the last couple weeks I am seriously looking forward to a real ticket system.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

I literally just got the approval for Freshservice today. After messing around with the trial for the last couple weeks I am seriously looking forward to a real ticket system.

I mean all those good words said, I have to say that Fresh* does have an Apple-ish feel to it in that it does things the way it does things, and if you wanted to do things another way, well, sir, you best go find yourself another service desk.

There's probably more examples but the one that comes to mind is that if someone sends in a ticket and CCs the world, by default whenever you hit reply the ticket response will re-include the CCs. You can manually delete them off the response, but you can't have it not CC them automatically. As far as I was concerned that should just be a checkbox in the admin settings, e.g. "Always CC original ticket CCs on reply". I sent in a ticket / feature request for that, but not only did they say they didn't have it they insisted they weren't going to implement it because it wasn't how service desks should work. My response to that was a (only-slightly-cleaned-up) version of "where the gently caress do you get off telling me how my service desk SHOULD work? Customer's always right loving applies in this situation, moron".

I think they may have eventually said something later about "well OK we've made it so that if you delete the CCs the first time it won't do it again" - I actually haven't checked back on that but that's because most of our customers are nice enough to not CC everyone when they email in tickets, something for which believe me I'm very glad of, so I haven't had to deal with that issue often. But yeah there are ways in which the thing isn't quite as flexible as other service desks, never mind something like SNow. (Except you don't need your own development team either...)

Also, they do hide some of the best features in the upper plans. I pushed my boss for whatever plan was the minimum that included SSO, and got lucky - he was reading the feature comps, saw that the "Forest" plan or whatever the gently caress their second-highest tier is contained the "see when other people are viewing the same ticket" feature and went nuts for it. Which, I mean, sweet, thanks boss. But you should check the feature comparison cause the minimum plans aren't necessarily that great.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm not sure if I prefer unassigned tickets with no notes in that are being actively worked on by somebody who just doesn't feel the need to communicate with their peers, or an unassigned ticket with no notes in just because nobody has picked it up yet.

I have been telling my boss for months that if I don't pick up tickets, they sit unclaimed in the system for WEEKS. I had a loving mental breakdown over my ticket load because it felt like nobody else was doing poo poo about our queue, and I was burning myself out trying to keep it down.

It took the breakdown for my team lead to get everyone to take some of my tickets. They stayed good about this for all of... one week. Then it went back to unassigned tickets just sitting there until I grab them.

gently caress everyone, I'm not grabbing them. I'll work a few, but gently caress them if they think I'm going to take the entire load myself again.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

chin up everything sucks posted:

I have been telling my boss for months that if I don't pick up tickets, they sit unclaimed in the system for WEEKS. I had a loving mental breakdown over my ticket load because it felt like nobody else was doing poo poo about our queue, and I was burning myself out trying to keep it down.

It took the breakdown for my team lead to get everyone to take some of my tickets. They stayed good about this for all of... one week. Then it went back to unassigned tickets just sitting there until I grab them.

gently caress everyone, I'm not grabbing them. I'll work a few, but gently caress them if they think I'm going to take the entire load myself again.

That sounds insane. Are you the only one supposed to be working on tickets? What is everyone else doing?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

That sounds insane. Are you the only one supposed to be working on tickets? What is everyone else doing?

There are four of us in helldesk. The Team Lead is the only one who has a license for our purchasing system, so he gets stuck spending most of his day doing inventory poo poo. Our newest person has been pretty much stolen by our Business Applications department, and spends most of his time working on that stuff and ignoring tickets... and our final person is more of an AV guy than helldesk, and he just tends to gently caress off doing whatever, but we can't get rid of him because he's good at schmoozing and is also the only person who knows AV poo poo.

I handle 3x more tickets than the rest of them combined. And I'm done pulling that poo poo. If they can't handle helping with their primary duty, and estaff won't let us have more staffing, then I'm not going to kill myself to keep our department afloat any more.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Protip just assign tickets to them.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

skipdogg posted:

Protip just assign tickets to them.

Nope. That would make it look like they are doing something. They can either pick up their own drat tickets, or live with the giant queue ballooning. My level of fucks given is approaching zero.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

There are four of us in helldesk. The Team Lead is the only one who has a license for our purchasing system, so he gets stuck spending most of his day doing inventory poo poo. Our newest person has been pretty much stolen by our Business Applications department, and spends most of his time working on that stuff and ignoring tickets... and our final person is more of an AV guy than helldesk, and he just tends to gently caress off doing whatever, but we can't get rid of him because he's good at schmoozing and is also the only person who knows AV poo poo.

I handle 3x more tickets than the rest of them combined. And I'm done pulling that poo poo. If they can't handle helping with their primary duty, and estaff won't let us have more staffing, then I'm not going to kill myself to keep our department afloat any more.

So, I have no doubt that you’re being shat-upon and I don’t mean to do so further.

But:
Guy 1: manager, SME for purchasing system.
Guy 2: Sounds like he’s getting slow-motion poached by the dev team.
Guy 3: AV SME.
Guy 4: That’s you. You aren’t a SME and you haven’t been poached by another department.

Your time is worth the least, so (from the business’ perspective) why wouldn’t you have to be ticket bitch?

This tweet recently delivered a nasty shock to me, what the Alcoholic Anonymous bunch might call a “moment of clarity”, I thought I’d share it here:
https://twitter.com/chaosprime/status/1115729227100434432?s=21

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

So, I have no doubt that you’re being shat-upon and I don’t mean to do so further.

But:
Guy 4: That’s you. You aren’t a SME and you haven’t been poached by another department.

Your time is worth the least, so (from the business’ perspective) why wouldn’t you have to be ticket bitch?

This tweet recently delivered a nasty shock to me, what the Alcoholic Anonymous bunch might call a “moment of clarity”, I thought I’d share it here:

I'm actually the guy who got a promotion to Sr helldesk dude, and is being groomed to be promoted to sysadmin sometime in the next year. I -should- be spending a hell of a lot more time helping our overworked sysadmins...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Also, lol at an AV SME. That’s money better spent on a dedicated desktop guy that can reimage poo poo in an hour instead of wasting time trying to clean up any infections.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Audio-visual, presumably

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Probably means audiovisual like teleconference rooms and projectors and poo poo?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

But:

Nah man, if he is on a team with 4 other people then those 4 other people need to be pulling tickets as well. If your company is big enough to have a "SME for purchasing system" and "AV SME" then you are big enough not to put all the poo poo work on one guy.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Audio-visual, presumably

This is correct, he handles conference room support, arranging for new conference rooms to be built, and liasoning with vendors when we run big production events a couple times a year. I've mentioned before that he should really be Facilities instead of IT, but....

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I don’t know your situation but it sounds pretty familiar (of course, I could also be overgeneralizing from my lovely career path onto yours). But now that guy #2 (the new guy) is being soft-poached by dev your boss probably won’t look too favorably on systems doing it to him again.

The first guy to escape Alcatraz has it easier than the second, you know?

And, of course, I haven’t actually figured out a way out yet either.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

I'm actually the guy who got a promotion to Sr helldesk dude, and is being groomed to be promoted to sysadmin sometime in the next year. I -should- be spending a hell of a lot more time helping our overworked sysadmins...

promotions are an illusion and it doesn't matter how many tickets you do, apply for sysadmin roles at other companies

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

But:

Seconding this post - I read the initial complaint and was like 'dude doesn't have a side piece, that's why you're doing tickets'

who's responsibility is it to make sure tickets are done, stop doing tickets, do your SysAd stuff and let whoever's problem it is dish out tickets 4 ways.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I did so poorly in a job interview last week that I basically talked myself out of the position, but now the hiring manager wants to call me at noon today. Hopefully it's not just to tell me that I do, in fact, suck, but man the whole job search process really is the worst.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sirotan posted:

I did so poorly in a job interview last week that I basically talked myself out of the position, but now the hiring manager wants to call me at noon today. Hopefully it's not just to tell me that I do, in fact, suck, but man the whole job search process really is the worst.

I feel like people tend to overblow how bad they did in interviews. Even if you don't end up getting the job, good chance you didn't do as bad as you think.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sickening posted:

I feel like people tend to overblow how bad they did in interviews. Even if you don't end up getting the job, good chance you didn't do as bad as you think.

Likely. Just figured the process would be easier since this is the first time I've ever looked for a job when I didn't actually *need* to switch jobs. Think I just need to Always Be Interviewin', for practice.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sirotan posted:

As somebody who has conducted interviews, being honest about limitations and talking about technical topics without getting too deep in the weeds are extremely important factors.

You may have gone up against people who promised the world or dove so deep into a specific technology that the interviewers were lost. I always appreciated those who would say 'I don't know this, but here's exactly two sentences on how I would learn it' and 'Oh yes I have lots of experience in this tech, how are you implementing it? Great.' and not expand for 20 minutes to prove how much they know.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have to interview a high school kid today to be an IT intern here. I've never interviewed anyone. I've never managed anyone. This kid has never had a job and has never had an interview.

Fun!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just talk about interests. It'll be easy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I was hoping we'd get someone from the local tech college with a year under his belt. Apparently I have 2 other interviews next week and I get to pick which one.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I have to help interview someone for a role that would eliminate our involvement in a project were bidding on. Nice conflict of interest

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sickening posted:

I don't know... I've had a couple bad interviews that still haunt me to this day.
The worst one started with me being pawned off onto some other poor IT guy for a 'tour' of the place while we waited for his managers to come interview me. He spent the whole time warning me to 'get out as fast as I can.'

The actual interview consisted of me answering a bunch of technical questions just fine until they asked me "What would you say DNS is?"
I knew exactly what DNS was and thought I answered their question acceptably. Until they asked me again, "But what would you say DNS is?"
15 more minutes of me explaining how DNS works, what it's for...
"Yes, but what would you say DNS is?"
Another half hour of doing a whole top down explanation of DNS from the high level overview of 'DNS translates hostnames/domain names to ip addresses' to explaining what each nameserver does, A records, reverse lookup zones, dynamic DNS, the steps involved in a DNS lookup, what ICANN is and so on...
At this point I think I'd probably talked for about an hour about just DNS.
Then they asked me, "okay so what is DNS then?"

I just said that I guess I didn't really know, and to this day I'm still left wondering about the philosophical merits of DNS.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I don't know... I've had a couple bad interviews that still haunt me to this day.
The worst one started with me being pawned off onto some other poor IT guy for a 'tour' of the place while we waited for his managers to come interview me. He spent the whole time warning me to 'get out as fast as I can.'

The actual interview consisted of me answering a bunch of technical questions just fine until they asked me "What would you say DNS is?"
I knew exactly what DNS was and thought I answered their question acceptably. Until they asked me again, "But what would you say DNS is?"
Another half hour of doing a whole top down explanation of DNS from the high level overview of 'DNS translates hostnames/domain names to ip addresses' to explaining what each nameserver does, A records, reverse lookup zones, dynamic DNS, the steps involved in a DNS lookup, what ICANN is and so on...

I just said that I guess I didn't really know, and to this day I'm still left wondering about the philosophical merits of DNS.

The internet's phone/address book?

It sounds like they wanted you to talk like a person instead of an IT robot to see if you can explain complex ideas to non-technical people.

v--- or that perhaps!

MF_James fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Did you ever actually say the words "Domain Name System?"