Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

spwrozek posted:

Awesome man. Looks like fun!

When in doubt I am always skinning. The whole point is keeping the weight off your back.

Skinning looked a whole lot easier. I guess I need to buy a split board now, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

il serpente cosmico posted:

Skinning looked a whole lot easier. I guess I need to buy a split board now, too.

You can do what I do, have a split and an AT setup......

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Skinning is definitely a whole lot easier. Another stopgap would be a pair of snowshoes - you won't get the glide but it's way nice to not have to worry about postholing or your feet sliding around every step. Try to get a pair with risers if you go that route.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Counterpoint snowshoes suck and are garbage. Just get a split, or make a split! My first split was homemade!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Spime Wrangler posted:

Skinning is definitely a whole lot easier. Another stopgap would be a pair of snowshoes - you won't get the glide but it's way nice to not have to worry about postholing or your feet sliding around every step. Try to get a pair with risers if you go that route.

:lol: I have a pair of snowshoes with risers, but we decided to leave them at camp because the snow firmed way up over night :suicide:

We were postholing up to ours waists at times. This trip was most definitely educational.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Skinning looked a whole lot easier.

Holy poo poo buddy, if you post holed your way up and still enjoyed yourself, you'll love skinning. It is exponentially easier and more efficient.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

ironlung posted:

Holy poo poo buddy, if you post holed your way up and still enjoyed yourself, you'll love skinning. It is exponentially easier and more efficient.

I think regular mountaineering conditioned me to suffering a bit. In my mind I was doing what I've done before (albeit with a snowboard and boots on my back), but I was turning the most tedious part (the decent) into the most fun part. But yeah, I'd definitely like to get into split boarding.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
It’s good.

Desert was good. Here’s a ~2000 year old person giving birth and a guy with a monster dong.

Back to skiing.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I think regular mountaineering conditioned me to suffering a bit. In my mind I was doing what I've done before (albeit with a snowboard and boots on my back), but I was turning the most tedious part (the decent) into the most fun part. But yeah, I'd definitely like to get into split boarding.

You went up in different boots than your snowboard boots?!? Your mind might explode when you get setup right.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

spwrozek posted:

You went up in different boots than your snowboard boots?!? Your mind might explode when you get setup right.

lol yeah. It involved 2-3 miles of bare trail and bushwacking through the forest, plus I wanted to bring my crampons, so I decided to go up in my mountaineering boots

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ah, yeah. I would probably have been in hiking shoes for that first 3 miles as well. I have semi auto crampons which are great since they are good on my ski and snowboard boots.

The real key here is you had an awesome time and I hear you are getting a splitboard.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
get a hardboot splitboard setup

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Landsknecht posted:

get a hardboot splitboard setup

Don't listen to this nerd. Snowboarding on hard boots outside of pure carve boards is a soul sucking fun taker. The weight savings are just not worth the lovely ride. If you want hard boots just get skis.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I really love my Malamutes, which are pretty stiff as it is. Going with a hard boot setup at this point would feel really off to me, I think, and I don't know that I'd want to go into the back-country with a setup that feels weird compared to 99% of my other riding.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I just bought some Vans that have a North Face zippable waterproof skirt, supposedly to make them better for trekking.

Looking forward to not having wet feet after blowing out the laces on my old boots.

Supposing they're big enough (I'm that idiot that buys boots online) I'm gonna try them out at Mammoth this weekend, I'm psyched!

Also finally gonna take advantage of the hot springs on the way up. Anybody got a favorite spot?

Zisky fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 7, 2019

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Alternatively, go with a soft boot ski setup

https://www.apexskiboots.com/

Ski hard, walk easy

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Don't listen to this nerd. Snowboarding on hard boots outside of pure carve boards is a soul sucking fun taker. The weight savings are just not worth the lovely ride. If you want hard boots just get skis.

they're not a lovely ride if you have the right setup; and they're lighter, more durable, and much better for anything involving kicking steps; also you can transition way faster

Eejit posted:

Ski hard, walk easy

those look dumb

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Eejit posted:

Ski hard, walk easy

Whoa, have you used these? Do they have tech toe pieces?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Moot . posted:

Whoa, have you used these? Do they have tech toe pieces?

anyone who has reviewed them says they're terrible for actual skiing

you're better off with some soft superlight skimo boots

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Landsknecht posted:

they're not a lovely ride if you have the right setup; and they're lighter, more durable, and much better for anything involving kicking steps; also you can transition way faster

You can do whatever you want. There are benefits to hard boots for sure. I have a split and a ski setup, I get it.

Fwiw my light weight roxa ski boots weigh just a bit more than my deeluxe split boots. All in karakorum setups are as light as phantom (granted less moving weight on the uphill). Kick steps are nice I will admit. If it is steep enough that I have to kick up it though I usually want crampons on, might be just the kind of riding I do.

If you go with a phantom setup the cost is just crazy imo. Between that, boots, mods, more mods, it really gets out of hand. Basically people mod the crap out of the boots to get them to be soft enough to ride well.

People do it though and if it works for you that is great.

E: just to add, if you are having fun that is all that matters.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 7, 2019

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

spwrozek posted:

You can do whatever you want. There are benefits to hard boots for sure. I have a split and a ski setup, I get it.

Fwiw my light weight roxa ski boots weigh just a bit more than my deeluxe split boots. All in karakorum setups are as light as phantom (granted less moving weight on the uphill). Kick steps are nice I will admit. If it is steep enough that I have to kick up it though I usually want crampons on, might be just the kind of riding I do.

If you go with a phantom setup the cost is just crazy imo. Between that, boots, mods, more mods, it really gets out of hand. Basically people mod the crap out of the boots to get them to be soft enough to ride well.

People do it though and if it works for you that is great.

E: just to add, if you are having fun that is all that matters.

I have a friend with the plum bindings and he uses some superlight 1kg skimo boots, seems to work well

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Welp, I ordered the Rome Whiteroom. Seems like a good balance of overall riding performance and easy uphill travel. Plus I got it for $350 on clearance after the Ebates cash back.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice job man. I would consider replacing the tip and tail clips with the new karakorum ones with lock out. Having the clips come loose is the worst. I really like being able to lock mine, especially in consequently terrain.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Why are you guys making GBS threads on hard ski boots. I see the super cool, old ski instructors use them and they do great skidded turns on flat groomers. You gotta follow the pros

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
LOL

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
really the cool people are doing tele turns in leather boots

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Landsknecht posted:

really the cool people are doing tele turns in leather boots
or they're on a monoski

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Varg posted:

or they're on a monoski

Have you considered tandem monoski?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Eejit posted:

Are you tired of getting a divorce for the same old reasons? Now you don’t have to gently caress your secretary, or lose your rear end in Vegas, just strap you and your wife in and head directly down to her sisters, because that’s where she’s going anyway

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Eejit posted:

I keep one in the garage right next to my tandem recumbent bike.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Are you tired of getting a divorce for the same old reasons? Now you don’t have to gently caress your secretary, or lose your rear end in Vegas, just strap you and your wife in and head directly down to her sisters, because that’s where she’s going anyway

Best sales pitch ever.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eejit posted:

Apocalypse Snow hell yeah! (for those unaware, this is from an 80's French ski film, whole thing is on youtube, highly recommend)

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Nice job man. I would consider replacing the tip and tail clips with the new karakorum ones with lock out. Having the clips come loose is the worst. I really like being able to lock mine, especially in consequently terrain.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will take a look at those for sure.

I should probably put together the rest of the setup while everything is on sale and not yet sold out.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I sincerely appreciate whichever one of you in Denver voted to decriminalize mushrooms today and I can’t wait for it to be on the next ballot here where it’ll pass with flying colors

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot . posted:

I sincerely appreciate whichever one of you in Denver voted to decriminalize mushrooms today and I can’t wait for it to be on the next ballot here where it’ll pass with flying colors

:hfive:

I actually thought it was not going to pass when I went to bed.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Drug Mecca of the US!

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I lived in London when it was “legal” to sell mushrooms and I feel like we were so far in the minority that even though you could be melting face in public, you wouldn’t.

Also don’t go to the torture museum in London on mushrooms. And don’t eat Hawaiian mushrooms just to be safe.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Ordered me some Spark R&D Arc bindings and related accessories, karakorum clips, and Backcountry / G3 Alpinist skins. Now I just need some poles, I guess.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Poles that can break down completely and fit in your bag are kinda nice. I clip mine on the outside but it can be a bit annoying especially if you don't have the right bag.

G3 skins are not bad. I like mohair/nylon mix better personally. Having owned G3, BD, & Pomoca I like pomoca the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Not gonna lie, I got the G3s because they were cheap (90 bucks on clearance + ebates cash back) and got pretty good reviews. I'll mainly be using my setup in spring conditions in the PNW, so I figured a full synthetic would be a good bet. But I also figured I'd use them until they wore out, and then I'd have a better idea if I wanted to switch things up in the future to a different material or brand.