Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

Potence has always been a violation. Clock a guy extra hard with a baseball bat? Probably fine. Huck a car at him? Jump three stories up? Not fine.

It's not that a given discipline is mystically a 'violation,' it's 'doing things that make the Kine go 'hey, wait a minute....'' is a violation.

Now, if you scream 'drat THAT'S GOOD PCP' right before you haul off and punch a dude in half, that's probably OK.

Sorry, shoulda been clerarer. I meant with respects to BL1 where they just implemented it as a flat bonus to melee damage. I kinda liked that there were things you could do by spending blood without it breaking the Masquerade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Now I'm just curious if they'll follow RAGE 2's lead and have a cheat system in the game. Having the tutorial laugh at you for cheating is Bloodlines tradition.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

frajaq posted:

As long as we get a comfy Tremere hideout like the first game I'll probably go with these vampire mages :smugwizard:

did my first full playthrough as a nosferatu and never knew that you get a sewer hideout.
speaking of do you have to kiss lacroixs arse to get the nice skyline apartments hub? seemed like i tried my best to please him but never got it.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

did my first full playthrough as a nosferatu and never knew that you get a sewer hideout.
speaking of do you have to kiss lacroixs arse to get the nice skyline apartments hub? seemed like i tried my best to please him but never got it.

You can't insult him and you have to 100% stealth the Elizabethan Rendezvous mission in order to receive the downtown Haven.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tetrabor posted:

You can't insult him and you have to 100% stealth the Elizabethan Rendezvous mission in order to receive the downtown Haven.

And that is ridiculously easy. I didn't realize that if you have any social skills all you have to do is:
talk to the cop
put the password he gives you into the computer
look at every camera on the monitor
grab a book in the nearby room

And that's it. I had Intimidation so I did all that except for the last step. Cue my dumb rear end trying to sneak passed all those guards when I had absolutely no points in stealth. I didn't get quest complete because I missed the book so I thought I had to sneak over to the Sarcophagus and look at it myself.

But if you talk to that cop you can finish the quest in five minutes after going through like two or three rooms and you shouldn't have to kill anybody. I ended up going to the sarcophagus and then killing everybody on the way back because they were blocking the doorway.

Still, I don't even see why Havens exist? Do the later ones actually give you any sort of reward? I never went back to the dump in Santa Monica after the start of the game.

whenimmashoo
Jun 12, 2013

Maybe this was a plus patch change but I remember getting the apartment by just running past all the cops with celerity active. As long as you don't kill anyone you should be fine. Either way you get a second chance before the museum quest where if you've been kissing rear end up until that point he'll give you the keys to the apt before sending you off. That's your last shot as far as I remember though.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Beyond eye candy? Not really. They do send you sidequests at your haven email, so you still should check it regularly though.
E: answering to NikkolasKing above

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

And that is ridiculously easy. I didn't realize that if you have any social skills all you have to do is:
talk to the cop
put the password he gives you into the computer
look at every camera on the monitor
grab a book in the nearby room

And that's it. I had Intimidation so I did all that except for the last step. Cue my dumb rear end trying to sneak passed all those guards when I had absolutely no points in stealth. I didn't get quest complete because I missed the book so I thought I had to sneak over to the Sarcophagus and look at it myself.

But if you talk to that cop you can finish the quest in five minutes after going through like two or three rooms and you shouldn't have to kill anybody. I ended up going to the sarcophagus and then killing everybody on the way back because they were blocking the doorway.

Still, I don't even see why Havens exist? Do the later ones actually give you any sort of reward? I never went back to the dump in Santa Monica after the start of the game.

You get regular emails with maybe a handful of optional quests across the game. Once you get that ghoul chick you've got blood on tap, there's storage for when your inventory is full, the tv and radio which change as the game progresses and are a bit of fun, and you also get quest rewards dumped in your mail box sometimes.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

Where do you house your ghouls, then? Don't tell me you leave them in storage units, that's barbaric.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

NikkolasKing posted:

They're mainly used to check for mail quests and to talk to your Ghoul after every major adventure to get the end-game armor. You can also store all those extra tidbits you find if you're maximizing your loot grabbing.

The Downtown Haven is one of the suckier ones because you have to deal with the elevator every time you visit, the Tremere Haven is probably the best because it's right next to the alleyway where you can feed off roaming NPCs.

whenimmashoo posted:

Maybe this was a plus patch change but I remember getting the apartment by just running past all the cops with celerity active. As long as you don't kill anyone you should be fine. Either way you get a second chance before the museum quest where if you've been kissing rear end up until that point he'll give you the keys to the apt before sending you off. That's your last shot as far as I remember though.

This. Technically, the prince tells you not to kill anyone, but it's also ridiculously easy to stealth the entire thing if you have a few points in a conversation skill.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I frequently have to deliberately piss of the prince so he doesn't give me the downtown apartment with the sucky elevator and remote corner location. :shrug:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I beat the first game with Tremere so I may just roll 'em again for 2. I hope Blood Shield comes back, though they'll probably nerf it because it was busted in 1.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 8, 2019

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Poil posted:

I frequently have to deliberately piss of the prince so he doesn't give me the downtown apartment with the sucky elevator and remote corner location. :shrug:

But on the plus side it has no windows. Santa Monica is like "let's give this dipshit vampire a studio to sleep in that's 50% windows and no curtains or blinds"

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I was surprised as a Ventrue that I never got a haven in the swanky hotel. How the prince expected my loyalty while expecting me to live like some kind of proletarian, I will never know.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A shame blood shield is still probably going to violate the masquerade or whatever. :rolleyes:

communism bitch posted:

But on the plus side it has no windows. Santa Monica is like "let's give this dipshit vampire a studio to sleep in that's 50% windows and no curtains or blinds"
Sure but you have to weigh that against the Lacuna Coil poster. Wait... now that you mention it. None of those apartments have windows. Someone built a multistory apartment building but didn't bother to make any windows at all? Are there windows on the outside? Are they painted on? :psyduck:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Blood shield's out.

Also, being covered in seething blood is a pretty clear Masquerade violation IMO.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Poil posted:

A shame blood shield is still probably going to violate the masquerade or whatever. :rolleyes:

Sure but you have to weigh that against the Lacuna Coil poster. Wait... now that you mention it. None of those apartments have windows. Someone built a multistory apartment building but didn't bother to make any windows at all? Are there windows on the outside? Are they painted on? :psyduck:

Pretty sure the exterior shows windows, but nothing inside.

But you do get a built-in 10,000 gallon fish tank.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 8, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Can you fill it with blood?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Well the average human body contains about 1.2 gallons of blood.
So the real question is: do you want it enough?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's only a bit over 8000 people. Or 95000 donors for the more humane option if you're squeamish but with a lot of patience. Sounds ok to me.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hold up! The linked LP tells me there's a "completed" Werewolf computer game that was never released? I have never heard of Heart of Gaia! I'm guessing it's not really so completed and/or would have been a trash fire?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Seems it wasn't fully completed before its dev ran out of cash:
https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Werewolf:_The_Apocalypse_-_The_Heart_of_Gaia

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is the tactful thing to pretend like there never were any Hunter video games?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Of course you're the mythical pure lost cub white howler in that game. Good riddance.

Edit: the first hunter game was a mediocre gamecube version of diablo. Not unspeakably bad

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Captain Monkey posted:

the first hunter game was a mediocre gamecube version of gauntlet

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'm really curious about what Toreador will get now that Celerity and Auspex are both taken.

Poil posted:

There are tiny windows near the elevator but generally speaking the game does not give a gently caress about exterior and interior consistency. For example, the very apartment we're talking about has more floors on the inside.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Captain Monkey posted:

the first hunter game was a much better gamecube version of fallout: brotherhood of steel

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

YaketySass posted:

I'm really curious about what Toreador will get now that Celerity and Auspex are both taken.

Why would they not get them? There was always overlap in Disciplines, even in Bloodlines 1, have they announced they wouldn't do the same here?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Why would they not get them? There was always overlap in Disciplines, even in Bloodlines 1, have they announced they wouldn't do the same here?

There could be overlaps, but the explicit plan is to make each clan feel more unique so I wonder what they're gonna do for Toreador. So far they announced that each clan gets two Disciplines and the third one is a Thinblood one chosen at the beginning.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They want different clans to actually feel different to play, they don't want a repeat of Bloodlines 1 where there was no real playstyle difference between Brujah and Toreador because they were both Celerity/Presence classes that played pretty identically.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Toreador was the most optimal clan for a gun playthrough but outside of that they and Brujah were easily the least unique clans.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Well in that case (and thank you, I missed that) seems to me the logical Toreador emphasis will be on Presence.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

YaketySass posted:

There are tiny windows near the elevator but generally speaking the game does not give a gently caress about exterior and interior consistency. For example, the very apartment we're talking about has more floors on the inside.

What makes you hopeful that Toreador will be picked for the first five over Ventrue? As boring as Brujah and Tremere are for being expected picks, at least in this setting their clans are active and doing poo poo either in the leader of the New Anarch movement or the mages being free radicals all over the goddamn place. They're hopefully not just sitting in a bar talking poo poo or in a Chantry, they're active parties in the chaos going down in Seattle. And as boring as Ventrue is, them being paranoid leaders of the ever fearful Camarilla is kind of a choice pick, even though the tech scene could be good fit for Toreador.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 9, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WoD Vampires can't go to specific locations like "consecrated ground"? I never heard of this weakness in this universe before.

I'm reading State of Grace right now (and it is very good) and it starts off by talking about Christian vampires and how they have to make their own churches and communities because conventional Christian gatherings are before sundown, a priest might have True Faith and, finally, churches are often built on holy ground.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey so what was the actual gameplay loop of V:tM? I can't watch LPs, I dont have the patience, so i don't know how the game actually worked. Did every clan have a different starting area? How are disciplines handled?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey so what was the actual gameplay loop of V:tM? I can't watch LPs, I dont have the patience, so i don't know how the game actually worked. Did every clan have a different starting area? How are disciplines handled?

Everybody has the same starting situation. You've just been embraced, and your sire gets whacked by the Prince of LA for embracing without permission. You're compelled to do jobs for the guy to "prove your worth" lest you share your sire's fate. This mostly involves running around various parts of the city and doing quests, often involving violence. You can play in first or third person, go melee or firearms. You have a blood pool on screen which gets decreased whenever you activate a discipline, which usually lasts somewhere from 10-30 seconds depending on the discipline and your rank in it. Stealth and stealth kills can get you pretty far but eventually you'll run into boss battles you have to fight, and I hope you've got the stats, skills, and gear to handle it when they show up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is the tactful thing to pretend like there never were any Hunter video games?

If you had three friends to play with, they were a delight.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

NikkolasKing posted:

WoD Vampires can't go to specific locations like "consecrated ground"? I never heard of this weakness in this universe before.

I'm reading State of Grace right now (and it is very good) and it starts off by talking about Christian vampires and how they have to make their own churches and communities because conventional Christian gatherings are before sundown, a priest might have True Faith and, finally, churches are often built on holy ground.

Oh yeah, True Faith, regardless of what it believes in, is usually what makes a hunter or powerful mortal actually dangerous even if the vampire has numbers on their side. True Faith is what makes crosses burn at the touch, what consecrates ground to the point where even werewolves revert to human form and empty their rage if they touch it, resist mind altering disciplines like Dementate, have a literal constant holy aura that makes a vampire feel immense guilt or pain to the point where they can be forced to flee (especially if they're too intelligent as that makes the effect worse); or if the DM allows it,through enough bullshit, cleanse a vampire of their embrace or reach Golconda - but, the vampire has to want this and earn it.

True Faith isn't just limited to mortals, but its something that requires you to commit and build faith points in to utilize the powers and miracles that come with it. Like you need at least faith 6 to successfully banish a spirit through sheer force of will.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 9, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I don't think the game ever mention the concept of True Faith, leading to that bit where the first time someone tries to use a crucifix (in the Mandarin quest) nothing happens and you're left killing the poor sap, while the second time it's Bach and he straight up blinds you with it, all the while entirely unexplained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Crabtree posted:

What makes you hopeful that Toreador will be picked for the first five over Ventrue? As boring as Brujah and Tremere are for being expected picks, at least in this setting their clans are active and doing poo poo either in the leader of the New Anarch movement or the mages being free radicals all over the goddamn place. They're hopefully not just sitting in a bar talking poo poo or in a Chantry, they're active parties in the chaos going down in Seattle. And as boring as Ventrue is, them being paranoid leaders of the ever fearful Camarilla is kind of a choice pick, even though the tech scene could be good fit for Toreador.

Because they goofed and revealed the Toreador early.