Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

LoreOfSerpents posted:

This is the most bizarre thing. Why are so many people building McMansions? We actually gave up on buying a house because it's too hard to find a reasonably-sized house that isn't a fixer-upper. Are there really that many adults in America who need/want/can afford gigantic houses, compared to people who just want 3 bedrooms?

In my area developers buy the reasonably sized, not updated homes then either remodel it as cheap as possible with the new look that's everywhere (grey laminate flooring, recessed lights, tiny tiles for the kitchen backsplashes) and put it on the market within a few months, or add on as much as possible to the size (as cheap as possible) and now you're selling a 3000 sq ft 5 bedroom house instead of a 1500 sq ft 3 bedroom house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

add on as much as possible to the size (as cheap as possible) and now you're selling a 3000 sq ft 5 bedroom house instead of a 1500 sq ft 3 bedroom house.

So much of real estate seems to go based on price per sq. foot. It's a really perverse incentive to build huge shoddy homes.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

MomJeans420 posted:

In my area developers buy the reasonably sized, not updated homes then either remodel it as cheap as possible with the new look that's everywhere (grey laminate flooring, recessed lights, tiny tiles for the kitchen backsplashes) and put it on the market within a few months, or add on as much as possible to the size (as cheap as possible) and now you're selling a 3000 sq ft 5 bedroom house instead of a 1500 sq ft 3 bedroom house.

Yeah, that's what happens here, too. The flippers make sense, but how is the industry getting enough people to buy gigantic houses? You have to heat/air condition/clean 3000 sq ft. instead of 1500 sq ft. No part of that seems like it makes financial sense for the average family, unless I'm totally off base. Yet people must buy them, otherwise builders wouldn't be doing it so frequently.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My wife and I laugh here in Orlando as we walk around the lakes just south of downtown, in which relatively small bungalows with huge yards have been bought, knocked down and monster McMansions built in their place using almost the entire property. It’s almost comical, you’ll see a small house for sale, then walk past a month later and it’s knocked down, or sometimes they’ll spray DEMO on it on large letters.

Then, bam, massive eyesore built in its place and the requisite Lexii parked in the driveway, or occasionally, the modern midlife crisis mobile - an immaculate, lifted, angry eyes Jeep Wrangler with green or red circular headlights, complete with snorkel and winch.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I have an incredibly elegant solution for you and it's to go ahead and click this link:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30635

and then a button at the bottom right of the page which will mean you never have to endure another assault on your status at my soft, well-manicured, bejeweled hands.
Is there a way to also block the posts of people quoting people you have on ignore?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Simpsons Reference posted:

But it can buy you love, for a couple hours
I think silent judgment paired with casual acceptance is the best GGGC can shoot for with his money.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Dik Hz posted:

Is there a way to also block the posts of people quoting people you have on ignore?

If there was, yospos wouldn't have to have its series of pictures telling folks not to quote stymie

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

McMansions are distilled BWM. Do we have a thread about them? Can we have a McMansion theme week?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

McMansions are distilled BWM. Do we have a thread about them? Can we have a McMansion theme week?

Required reading: https://mcmansionhell.com

Bonus pics:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vox Nihili posted:

Bonus pics:

This website is amazing and will ruin your ability to Not Notice Bad Architecture

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

You have to do some really gross scripting in greasemonkey or something similarly low level. I tried it and it wasn’t worth the hassle, people posting that badly often spend a lot of time unable to post.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Uber’s arbitration clause backfires hilariously and Uber has to pay a non refundable $1500 up front each time.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Crappy Construction Tales: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431884

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Who could have possibly seen this coming?

quote:

Binance says more than $40 million in bitcoin stolen in ‘large scale’ hack

https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/07/binance-breach/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If bitcoin is such a stable store of value why are these breach amounts always reported in filthy fiat USD?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

This rules.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
gently caress yes, I love seeing these horrible companies get their poo poo kicked in.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SpartanIvy posted:

gently caress yes, I love seeing these horrible companies get their poo poo kicked in.

You'll probably get to see some more Friday

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Not surprising at all.

I am guessing the class action was not going to cost $19M in legal fees...

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'd guess a fair amount more than $19 million

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I'd guess a fair amount more than $19 million

article negates this

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Trreeeeeee laawwwwwwww (and none of that fake poo poo on Reddit this time):

California couple to pay nearly $600,000 for uprooting tree

quote:

Sonoma, Calif. – A California judge ordered a couple to pay nearly $600,000 for uprooting a 180-year-old oak tree that later died and causing other damage to a protected property about an hour north of San Francisco.

The damage was discovered in 2014, when a concerned neighbor reported heavy equipment and digging on a property protected under a conservation easement.

Sonoma Land Trust Stewardship Director Bob Neale went to check and found more than 3,000 cubic yards of dirt and rock had been removed and a 180-year-old oak tree had been uprooted without permits for any of the work, the Press Democrat reported Wednesday.

The heritage oak was uprooted and bound so that it could be dragged to an adjoining ranch where property owners Peter and Toni Thompson had built a new estate home. That heritage oak and two others the landowners sought to move over a haul road they bulldozed through the previously undisturbed site all died, along with a dozen more trees and other vegetation, according to court records.

The damage prompted the Sonoma Land Trust to sue the Thompsons.

In a judgment finalized last week, Sonoma County Superior Court Judge Patrick Broderick sided with the land trust, calling out the Thompsons for “knowing and intentional” violations of a legally binding conservation deal. He said the couple had “demonstrated an arrogance and complete disregard for the mandatory terms of the easement.”

Broderick ordered the couple to pay more than $586,000 in damages toward environmental restoration and other costs.

Shortly after Broderick’s ruling, the Thompsons put the protected property and a neighboring ranch on the market for $8.45 million.

The couple is filing for a new trial on claims that their trial attorney could not provide proper representation amid a private family matter that arose before the court proceeding, said Richard Freeman, their new attorney.

“There are so many personal tragic issues throughout this case that were very painful to deal with and actually really affected the ability to tell our side of the story,” Peter Thompson said. “In our opinion, there’s a lot of evidence that our side of the story really didn’t get a chance to explain.”

RIP:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Bonus pics:

That’s a great blog, but it gets repetitive since McMansions are so repetitive. There’s only so many huge rear end roof chins or off center windows you can highlight.

She reprinted another blog’s article on circa 1900 Sears catalog homes and how to identify them in your town which was really good.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Sirotan posted:

Trreeeeeee laawwwwwwww (and none of that fake poo poo on Reddit this time):

California couple to pay nearly $600,000 for uprooting tree

RIP:

Day late and a page short my dude, but again glad to read about these idiots getting what's coming to them.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Day late and a page short my dude, but again glad to read about these idiots getting what's coming to them.

aw dangit, somehow I missed the entirety of the last page

Please accept this BWM as penance:

24, baby on the way 31k secured, 25k unsecured debt

quote:

Please give my situation a read...

I’ve made a lot of poor decisions financially. From the age of 21-23 I made roughly 100k a year at a job I got a ridiculous amount of overtime at that is no longer available to me. I now make $21 an hour and get basic 40 hour weeks with occasional overtime. 21 year old me was given a ridiculous credit limit and maxed out that limit, and took out loans etc. Now I am trying to escape.

I’m bringing about $700 a week in currently after taxes.

$17000 @ 9% interest (2012 truck worth approx 12k)
$13500 @ 13% interest (2005 jeep Worth approx 8k)
$22500 @ 15% interest (credit card through credit union
$2600 @ 24% interest (credit card through chase)

I also owe $3200 in taxes to the irs. And the Jeep is not registered as of now because I owe California $1300 before I can transfer the title to my name from the previous owner.

My monthly bills are $1400 for Rent (2 year lease)

$420 for Truck
$300 for Jeep
$300 for auto insurance
$300 for gas
$200 for food
$13 for gym( use this 5 days a week )

I have spoken to a bankruptcy lawyer about filing for chapter 7 and he is saying possibly because the bank does not have my title for the Jeep yet that I may be able to get out of the debt for the Jeep scotch free if I file.

Regardless, I’m looking for my best option here to handle all of this because I do have a baby on the way and I am really lost right now on what to do. Do I grind it out? Do I file bankruptcy? Looking for advice. Thanks.

$60,100 in debt which includes $13.5k on a Jeep he can't even legally drive. Is about to be a dad. :chanpop:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

That’s a great blog, but it gets repetitive since McMansions are so repetitive. There’s only so many huge rear end roof chins or off center windows you can highlight.

She reprinted another blog’s article on circa 1900 Sears catalog homes and how to identify them in your town which was really good.

It was good for a chuckle, but the blog grew stale really fast. It's just so elitist. McMansions are bad, but so is a condescending, high brow attitude about architecture and other people's houses. Pointing out obvious excess is funnier than quipping about the clashing styles of windows, which 99% of people who aren't architects don't give a poo poo about.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Sirotan posted:

$60,100 in debt which includes $13.5k on a Jeep he can't even legally drive. Is about to be a dad. :chanpop:

This guy claims $700 a week take home at $21/hr which seems impossible but this could also be why he owes the IRS so much already.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Sirotan posted:

I love to base all of my debt load on non-guaranteed overtime.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thesaurus posted:

It was good for a chuckle, but the blog grew stale really fast. It's just so elitist. McMansions are bad, but so is a condescending, high brow attitude about architecture and other people's houses. Pointing out obvious excess is funnier than quipping about the clashing styles of windows, which 99% of people who aren't architects don't give a poo poo about.

is this "let people enjoy things," but for McMansions?

The point is that McMansions are supposed to display the owner's wealth and taste, but they are actually cheap and tacky.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The fact the fancy Greek columns in all these McMansions are just plaster and stucco was a surprise for me.

The blog has allowed me to appreciate good architecture more. But yeah, it’s repetitive and would have probably already died off if Zillow hadn’t made it famous.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Thesaurus posted:

Good news, the author is an architecture critic and the blog is written for people enthusiastic about architecture as one of our society's forms of cultural expression. Literally architecture as art. There's no reason for you to read the blog! It documents and chronicles an architectural style in the United States that arose in a postmodern hell of opulence without meaning, mass-market prosperity; clashing styles of windows has everything to do with the vacuousness of the style and the paucity of reasoning for how and why these abominations were crafted, hence why the architectural critic who writes the site focuses on these details.

It's not a terribly "fun" site to confront, because it's a good reminder that the US in 2019 deals largely with superficial consumption peddled as meaning, but it's probably good for the soul.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Good news, the author is an architecture critic and the blog is written for people enthusiastic about architecture as one of our society's forms of cultural expression. Literally architecture as art. There's no reason for you to read the blog! It documents and chronicles an architectural style in the United States that arose in a postmodern hell of opulence without meaning, mass-market prosperity; clashing styles of windows has everything to do with the vacuousness of the style and the paucity of reasoning for how and why these abominations were crafted, hence why the architectural critic who writes the site focuses on these details.

It's not a terribly "fun" site to confront, because it's a good reminder that the US in 2019 deals largely with superficial consumption peddled as meaning, but it's probably good for the soul.

....ok

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

whatever you say, doctor three hundred k a year

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
My new hot take is that making fun of dipshit rich people and their gaudy stuff is elitist.

mcmansion hell is cool and good

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
lol this thread turning on itself

petition for thread title change:

BWM: a good reminder that the US in 2019 deals largely with superficial consumption peddled as meaning

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Well, I think it is fun.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

The second season of This Old House focused on renovating some gigantic house built in the 19th century, it was like 20,000 square feet and every goddamn window was off center and different from all the others.

They all acted like it was some kind of architectural masterpiece so I don't think we are allowed to say that off center and eclectic windows mean anything.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/watch/newton-house

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
"Hi I'm Bob Villa and today we're taking a look at the Winchester Mystery House"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Droo posted:

The second season of This Old House focused on renovating some gigantic house built in the 19th century, it was like 20,000 square feet and every goddamn window was off center and different from all the others.

They all acted like it was some kind of architectural masterpiece so I don't think we are allowed to say that off center and eclectic windows mean anything.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/watch/newton-house

pic of house if you don't feel like clicking:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fitzy Fitz posted:

pic of house if you don't feel like clicking:

Whoever inspected and approved that must have been utterly mad!