Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just saw this in rental listings:

This house is literally loss.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
perfect place to park this

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just saw this in rental listings:

For a second I thought it was a loss edit.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

denver.jpg

Here is what that boxhaus used to be

All 1920s craftsman bungalows shall be assimilated

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
also portland.jpg

That fence is seriously offensive to me. Looks like poo poo AND no one else in the neighborhood seems to have their front yard enclosed like that...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Youth Decay posted:

denver.jpg

Also in Denver and I've been thinking lately. I get why the bungalows aren't popular. Small bedrooms with small closets, closed floor plans, smaller square footage, older homes that are expensive to heat and don't cool usually. Or maybe they're popular enough but there's more to be made on the cube houses.

But why aren't there any updated styles of bungalow being built? Same character of the neighborhood with modern styled floor plans, good insulation and windows? Bump the square footage obviously but keep the local look?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

StormDrain posted:

Also in Denver and I've been thinking lately. I get why the bungalows aren't popular. Small bedrooms with small closets, closed floor plans, smaller square footage, older homes that are expensive to heat and don't cool usually. Or maybe they're popular enough but there's more to be made on the cube houses.

But why aren't there any updated styles of bungalow being built? Same character of the neighborhood with modern styled floor plans, good insulation and windows? Bump the square footage obviously but keep the local look?

Mcmansions make the builder more money.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Most architectural styles that become an area vernacular were just the cheapest thing to build at the time that lasted to the present day. Something newer is cheaper now and gets built instead.

This is the core of replacement cost versus reproduction cost, where getting a craftsman built with modern materials is going to cost more than the boxy form and is unlikely to capture that premium in the sales price.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Things I miss about Colorado:
The beer
The weed
The climate
Municipal gigabit fiber

Things I don't miss about Colorado:
Californians
Anything to do with real estate or money
Californians

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Youth Decay posted:

denver.jpg

I just want to scream at it and never stop screaming. That poor house. :smith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

You know what, I like it

Its me, the guy with lovely modernist tastes that thing is marketed to

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I know it's probably a local ordinances thing, but fences that aren't right up against the footpath and have that six inches of meh along their entire length look so bad.

Wait a couple of weeks and nasty thistles are going to start growing in the narrow stone bed and will never stop coming back.

Plus all those little stones are going to end up underfoot and eventually makes their way to the nature strip to be caught while mowing and smack the owner in the shins at a million miles an hour.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

help it along by blowing dandelions nearby

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The shipping container aesthetic is strong.

I wouldn't want to live in a shipping container.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Platystemon posted:

It’s blocking a lane of the road and has been for five years.

If blocking the road is that annoying I'm surprised nobody comes along in the night and pulls it away.

Edit: just looked at the other pic. All you'd need to do would be to come along with a spanner and remove all the nuts, then use a crowbar to lift the corner up an inch.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 9, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nevermind blocking the road, it's in the UK, I'm surprised it lasted the first Friday night.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If that was on my commute it'd be maybe a month before I took a midnight stroll with a spanner.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nevermind blocking the road, it's in the UK, I'm surprised it lasted the first Friday night.

It's in the rear end end of scotland, maybe they do things differently there.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

StormDrain posted:

You seem to have a weird conception of craftsman bungalows. The only way that describes our 1920s craftsman is that the kitchen is closed off from the dining room by a wall. They tend to have a more open floor plan than other styles of the era because the living room and dining room are one space and the bedrooms open right into the common rooms. If the crawl space, attic and windows are properly maintained they're not any harder to heat or cool than average build quality modern housing. If anything being single story makes them easier to cool.

Like another poster said, there are companies that build craftsman bungalows. They're just more expensive to build than cookie cutter mcmansions.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Bungalows are terrible because they are small and cramped because for some reason, people think it's good to try to fit everything into a single floor.

Or even if there is an upstairs, there are still rooms downstairs wasting space.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

StormDrain posted:

Stuff like this?
https://thebungalowcompany.com/house-plan/

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

StormDrain posted:

A few years ago, one of the blocks near my house was in a state of decay - it was all rotten Victorian-era tenements, a couple boarded up commercial buildings, ugly vacant postwar houses, and empty overgrown lots.

Then a developer came along, bulldozed everything, and...

...built all these adorable little cottages :3:

They are not quite bungalows, but bungalows weren't really a thing here in Pittsburgh. You had lots of modest two story worker houses like this, many built in the 1910's and 20's (and often had Craftsman detailing). These new houses are quite reminiscent of that style housing.

This side of town isn't on fire (yet), so new development is actually sane, and it's not typically profitable to scrape a perfectly habitable house and replace it, so you see mostly gut remodels. The tech/hipster-infested neighborhoods is where you see the interesting old rowhouses getting bungled up by lovely flippers or outright replaced by overpriced modern boxes. Also it helps that the cool thing to do here is to buy a cruddy old Victorian and fix it up instead of overpaying for some dumb trendy box, though it's getting more and more difficult to find un-flipped fixer uppers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hooray for acceptable modest architecture and a reasonable massing of housing.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

This thing just went up for sale in my town...I thought it was a commercial office or something at first, nope, it's a single family 4br house.

Here's the listing - it's up for $2MM which is 500K-1MM higher than every other house in that neighbourhood. The agent said they're "marketing it to out of towners from New York or the west coast" so maybe I just don't get it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's like Cameron's house but not nearly as good.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wow, that definitely looks like the sort of structure you find adjacent to a strip mall, probably housing a dentist or a branch of a credit union.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Glumslinger posted:

You know what, I like it

Its me, the guy with lovely modernist tastes that thing is marketed to

I don't like this one, but there's something in that style in my neighborhood that I do like. It helps that they didn't dig up everything green around it and replace it with gravel. Just having some plants around makes it fit into the neighborhood better so it's more of a quirky feature than an incongruous behemoth.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The explosion of commercial architecture in residential design is something that makes me so upset. You'll see these big square all-glass-fronted buildings with 24/7 flood lighting shining down from the sofits to illuminate the facade, ground lighting to show off all the concrete sculptures in the front yard. Lit window displays showing some extremely generic pottery arts in little display windows.

You'd think it was a little museum or a professional building or an art store or something? Nope, it's a house, because houses now need to look like fancy hotels or retail.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

They say you shouldn't bring your work home with you. Never expected that idea to become quite so literal.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

totalnewbie posted:

Bungalows are terrible because they are small and cramped because for some reason, people think it's good to try to fit everything into a single floor.

Or even if there is an upstairs, there are still rooms downstairs wasting space.

Nah, gently caress stairs

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

It's like Cameron's house but not nearly as good.

Needs a Ferrari through the glass.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Youth Decay posted:

denver.jpg

I absolutely can not stand when realtors photoshop the sky in pictures

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:nws: https://i.imgur.com/PPoyLCH.jpg

Edit: Apparently art is NSFW.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 9, 2019

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I absolutely can not stand when realtors photoshop the sky in pictures

Yeah. The contrast is cranked up so hard on the first image that it looks like the wooden boards on the roof overhang have mildew on them already.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Dude, make that a link and mark it NSFW.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GotLag posted:

Nah, gently caress stairs

yeah seriously, there's no limit on square footage of a bungalo either, nor do rooms have to be small, the main advantage of building up is that it can be used to limit suburban sprawl which is 100% cool and good, but like, stairs suck

stairs kill 12,000 people annually

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Replace the stairs with a ramp. You can slide down them, and if you want to go up there's a winch, tow rope, and a section of carpet to sit on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if I had a 2+ story home I legit want a fireman's pole

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

21,000 people annually fall victim to the terrible secret of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Leperflesh posted:

If anything we need more stairs.

I like having my bedrooms all upstairs and my living spaces all downstairs. It makes my room feel more private.