Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Admiral Ray posted:

me, Game of Thrones writer: gently caress! Call the plumber, I subverted the toilet's expectations again!

Me, a plumber pouring cement down your toilet: heh, what did you expect? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Raccooon posted:

Baffling that the intro shows the change to Kings Landing's landscape. Either the intro makers noticed the gently caress up, didn't tell anyone, and fixed the intro or everyone made the conscious decision to be like eh gently caress it KL is totally different now.

I mean this is the same show that recast the Mountain in S2 as a long, somewhat lanky dude (then recast him again as a gigantic baby), and Daario from a blonde, clean-shaven, angular guy to a dark-haired, bearded hipster. They've never really cared about these type of inconsistencies (and those are definitely more noticeable than King's Landing landscape, which most people are not going to have any memory of).

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Gianthogweed posted:

But in season 5, D&D went way too far with their plot cutting/trimming down and started speeding through things way too fast.

Honestly the show would probably be a bit better if they'd cut even more things.

Seasons 5, 6, and 7 have this weird tendency to adapt strands of the plots of the later books, but only a little bit. A little bit of the Iron Islands stuff. A little bit of Dorne. A little bit of Riverlands. All this stuff ends up adding extra big players that alter the balance of power too much, which then have to be written out hastily.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mister Perky posted:

Single Combat for the city of Mereen, in fact, but yes and while it wasn't quite Strong Belwas taking a dump on the guy in the corresponding book scene it was a decent enough substitution for a TV adaptation

Daario #2 taking a #2 on a dead opponent was the perfect alley-oop, so of course it didn't go that way!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

TulliusCicero posted:

Plus Smart boi Victarion is coming to "woo" her and he has part of the Iron Fleet so :shrug:

This is my Victarion/Dany fanfiction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEqdINMLAec

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Can we all agree that Sword of the Morning is a boner joke though?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

They are shown through her lens so they're gonna be good. She thinks she's justified, but so does every tyrant.

e: I do agree that the writing/framing needed to be different to set the tonal shift, though. Her burning all the Khal's to death after spitting in their faces was pretty nuts, but gently caress that sequence was so good.

Complete random movie opinion:

"The Last King of Scotland" was a cool movie.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Episode 1 and 2 were good. Enjoyed them alot. Episode 3 and 4 are two of the worst in the show so far.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have heard of a incredible dumb theory,... that the dragons lay a lot of eggs, and we are about to live the reborn of the dragons era.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Tei posted:

I have heard of a incredible dumb theory,... that the dragons lay a lot of eggs, and we are about to live the reborn of the dragons era.

That scene from Aliens, but Dany is lovingly caressing Drogon's face.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

speaking of casting the northern conspiracy stuff being cut for no reason is especially a bummer because ian mcneice (town crier from rome) would've been a great manderly.

esperterra posted:

Davos was such a horndog in season 7

my favorite thing is when they were getting ready for the shadow baby scene davos's actor told melisandre's that her tits looked great (thinking they were fake like the stomach). turns out they were real. and they were spectacular.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I mean this is the same show that recast the Mountain in S2 as a long, somewhat lanky dude (then recast him again as a gigantic baby), and Daario from a blonde, clean-shaven, angular guy to a dark-haired, bearded hipster. They've never really cared about these type of inconsistencies (and those are definitely more noticeable than King's Landing landscape, which most people are not going to have any memory of).

i didn't realize the second mountain was supposed to be the mountain until tywin called him "clegane" lmao. he also seemed too old on top of being thin.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 9, 2019

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

my favorite thing is when they were getting ready for the shadow baby scene davos's actor told melisandre's that her tits looked great (thinking they were fake like the stomach). turns out they were real. and they were spectacular.

:lol:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wait, is this real? There's no way this actually happened, although if it did I certainly can't blame him.

Edit: lol wow. It's at the end here, last 20 seconds or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBGjbGb-1ww

Groovelord Neato posted:

i didn't realize the second mountain was supposed to be the mountain until tywin called him "clegane" lmao. he also seemed too old on top of being thin.

I kept getting the second Mountain confused with the other tall bearded guy who ended up getting killed by Jaqen's poisoned dart or whatever. They really should've just left him pillaging offscreen until they got the powerlifter guy to come in. He can't act for poo poo but he's imposing at least.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 9, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

My friends and I have a joke that the books are based on a D&D campaign that hasn't finished because they can't find the time to play, so he can't finish the books

lol, the "Wild Cards" series GRRM edits is literally based on an RPG that he's the dungeon master of with all his author buddies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Cards

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

esperterra posted:

Indira Varma's great and I'm sad she was wasted on how crap Dorne ended up being.

It was just weird in general how they completely flipped Ellaria Sand's personality around lmao. In the books she's the main advocate for getting the gently caress over Oberyn's death and doesn't agree with the Snakes' plans at all.

Oh poo poo, I had forgotten all about that. Didn't she lock them all away so they couldn't seek revenge?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

Wait, is this real? There's no way this actually happened, although if it did I certainly can't blame him.

the video link is dead but:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/1f2txa/s2e4_liam_cunningham_davos_and_carice_van_houten/

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Davos for the Iron Throne

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

bobjr posted:

Davos for the Iron Throne

This would be the absolute best case scenario, imo. The realm needs a dad.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

For some reason my country's main betting agency is now giving the best possible odds ($2.50) on... Bran

https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/entertainment/game-of-thrones

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

From the way this season has conducted itself so far, it surely has to be either Jon or nobody/indeterminate/Sopranos-fade-to-black

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ladbrokes in the UK also has Bran in the lead with identical odds! Who the gently caress is putting this money down?

https://www.ladbrokes.com.au/novelty/entertainment/72055309-game-of-thrones-season-8/72055309-game-of-thrones-season-8/

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Groovelord Neato posted:

Then he and Carice Van Houten went on to be BFFs.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Seems weird to accept bets on something that a lot of people 100% know the answer to. I assume they'd decline any huge bet for that reason.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Mat Cauthon posted:

Now i'm wondering if Ser Davos wouldn't have been better if they had kept Liam Cunningham's native accent. That said, is there a group of characters on the show who have Irish accents? I know the North and King's Landing are supposed to roughly correlate to Northern and Southern English accents.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m sure Littlefinger used an Irish accent at least once among others

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Apparently someone went through all the episodes of the show last year and did a bigass writeup of why they thought Dany would be the endgame villain: https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/151496-the-queen-of-ashes-foreshadowing/

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

freebooter posted:

From the way this season has conducted itself so far, it surely has to be either Jon or nobody/indeterminate/Sopranos-fade-to-black

I'll be pretty surprised if it's not Gendry. He's officially a Baratheon now, assuming Danny's claim is legit and she has the power to legitimize him. Once Dany is dead, and with Jon always trying to avoid power, Gendry clearly has the best claim. That has to be the entire show-reason he was legitimized; having a name isn't necessary to become a lord of a castle or even one of the 7 kingdoms (see Bronn and Littlefinger).

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Steve Yun posted:

They already subverted my expectations for the last two

Neg my poz expectations

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

lezard_valeth posted:

I just looked the scene up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g5UvrhJFVQ

Back then and even now in hindsight I just love how menacing Roose looked in this scene. While Walder Frey is stroking his own ego, Roose is thinking about the ramifications of their betrayal. Everything from the way he stands to how he talked gave a no nonsense vibe. He felt like someone more dangerous than Tywin Lannister.

Having Roose die like a chump was pinnacle E X P E C T A T I O N S subverted material.

I also like how genuinely weirded out everyone is by how cold and stiff Roose is, and how he always "doesn't partake"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mat Cauthon posted:

I kept getting the second Mountain confused with the other tall bearded guy who ended up getting killed by Jaqen's poisoned dart or whatever. They really should've just left him pillaging offscreen until they got the powerlifter guy to come in. He can't act for poo poo but he's imposing at least.

These commentaries sound pretty cool.

"We're going to need wasp repellent."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZAv_EAONmY&t=238s

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

I'll be pretty surprised if it's not Gendry. He's officially a Baratheon now, assuming Danny's claim is legit and she has the power to legitimize him. Once Dany is dead, and with Jon always trying to avoid power, Gendry clearly has the best claim. That has to be the entire show-reason he was legitimized; having a name isn't necessary to become a lord of a castle or even one of the 7 kingdoms (see Bronn and Littlefinger).

Nah it was just so he could be on Arya's social level to propose to her (and get turned down). I expect we've seen the last of him [barring an epilogue where Arya changes her mind]

It's coming down to characters who were in Season 1 Episode 1. Jon will reluctantly accept the crown "for the greater good" and be miserable the rest of his life.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Seems weird to accept bets on something that a lot of people 100% know the answer to. I assume they'd decline any huge bet for that reason.
There's generally a cap (~$500-1000) on bets that select few people know the outcome to. They're only there to drive traffic.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been waiting for some author to base a book on a D&D campaign, you'd think it'd make for more believable characters since you wouldn't have one author manipulating them all towards and end goal per se.

Know of anything like that?

Critical Role is like that but it's becoming a TV show, not a book. It's really good though; highly reccomend

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 9, 2019

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The witch's prophecy said Cersei would be replaced by a younger more beautiful woman. If it's not dany, and no way would arya want it, that only leaves sansa, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The witch's prophecy said Cersei would be replaced by a younger more beautiful woman. If it's not dany, and no way would arya want it, that only leaves sansa, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Meera Reed will pop out of nowhere.... to subvert expectations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Alec Eiffel posted:

Meera Reed will pop out of nowhere.... to subvert expectations.

Margaery will appear Stoneheart-esque and strangle Cersei

SUBVERTED

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Witch views the future in preparation for her prophecy, sees Jon take the Iron Throne.

"That girl has beautiful hair."

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Roland Jones posted:

Witch views the future in preparation for her prophecy, sees Jon take the Iron Throne.

"That girl has beautiful hair."

Tormund certainly thinks Jon's pretty

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The witch's prophecy said Cersei would be replaced by a younger more beautiful woman.

That was regarding Jaime and Brienne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Also I just want to say that I love the only time Margarey's mask dropped for even a second was to tell Cersei she would hurt her for having her imprisoned and call her a hateful bitch, where as she kept her cool through everything else.