Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What are these tiny black bugs in my gardenia flowers? Thrips? I think they are making the flowers turn brown much faster than they should which hurts my feelings because gardenias are the best loving smell in the world. It’s a huge bush, but I did treat it a month or so ago with some Bayer systemic fungicide/insecticide stuff that I thought would help. What else could I try? They’re just now blooming and already covered-I’d hoped the systemic would prevent this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I loving love the smell of gardenias. It reminds me of my grandma’s house in Alabama.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

I loving love the smell of gardenias. It reminds me of my grandma’s house in Alabama.
Growing up we had one by the back door and it always bloomed in early June right around my birthday, and whenever I smell one I think it’s my birthday because smell memories are pooowerful. This one blooms earlier (sometimes as early as April). They’re supposed to be super easy to root so I should go root a cutting off my parents’ for a longer bloom season. At some point when I moved back south I decided I didn’t want to live anywhere that I couldn’t grow gardenias. It’s also a plant that just suits its cultural climate-old southern people draw it out into a wonderful word almost devoid of hard consonants-“Gawd-EEn-ya”

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What are these tiny black bugs in my gardenia flowers? Thrips? I think they are making the flowers turn brown much faster than they should which hurts my feelings because gardenias are the best loving smell in the world. It’s a huge bush, but I did treat it a month or so ago with some Bayer systemic fungicide/insecticide stuff that I thought would help. What else could I try? They’re just now blooming and already covered-I’d hoped the systemic would prevent this.

They look like thrips to me, too, and the damage is pretty classic thrip damage. The dark ones could be predatory thrips (hard to tell without getting seriously close up) - it looks like there are some lighter colored ones on the petals that are likely pests.

If you have predatory thrips, they're probably responding to the infestation by pest thrips. Thrips are not easy to remove with a single application of insecticide. The only things I can think of are
  • Bring in more predators
  • Research more specific insecticides (knowing they'll probably kill off the predators, too) and apply it on a recurring schedule
  • Prune away the heavily damaged parts to get rid of heavily infested areas

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I’ve successfully used orthene/acephate for thrips. Sucks to use a systemic on a flowering plant though..

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I would murder untold thousands of bees for a month of perfect gardenias, but it looks like most systemics aren’t very effective against thrips anyway. The stuff I had used didn’t have acephate in it-I’ll give it a spinosad bath if it ever quits raining and try more drastic measures if that doesn’t work.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I hope this is the right place to post this because you're all so good with keeping plants alive, but i'm new to it and having difficulty with my lawn (which is technically a plant).

Basically, It's a new build house we moved into in October 18 and this was freshly laid turf (provided by the housebuilder) put in just before we moved in. I watered it a couple of times and cut it once in October before winter started in November then did nothing with it until the beginning of March.

However, in march it rained quite a bit and revealed a drainage issue and essentially everything but the bottom right corner of the garden was squelchy, soft and far to easy to sink into (boggy basically) and the soil composition is clay. When it eventually dried off enough to cut in the beginning of April, the pictures below is how it looked. I gave it another watering since then at the end of April, but it got a bit boggy again so i held off.

You'll see my neighbours garden in one of the pictures too. They moved in and had the turf installed at roughly the same time, but the only issue they have is where it connects to mine under our fence. It's otherwise looking like i'd expect 6 month old turf to look. They've insisted that they've not done anything to it other than the occasional watering and mowing.

Any idea what it could be? Something you'll notice is that the left most rows of turf are a darker shade of green. This was like that when we moved in and it actually has a much faster rate of growth than the rest of the garden. To me it feels like that's been healthier turf put in, while the rest has been
put it from an older batch or something maybe? It's also not suffered from shrinkage, those gaps were there between the turf when we moved in. We were told it would stitch together themselves, but that clearly hasn't happened.

Another thing to note is that i've seen a LOT of birds pecking at the grass and digging up some kind of insect, so presumably the turf is full of them but i heard that birds are good for aeration.

Kin fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 11, 2019

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Add sand to the boggy part
Rake with a metal rake where there's lots of dead grass but no new growth
Apply a long release fertilizer to all of it?

OR:

Rip up the sod where it's boggy, dig about 12" in, and make a mound of logs and sticks. Bury the mound with the dirt you dug up. Congratulations, you now have a hugelkultur raised bed. Plant native pollinators, perennial culinary herbs, or whatever you want to be lovely and useful in your yard.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I bought some succulents a couple months ago, repotted them, and I've had them under a grow light since I bought em. The other day I noticed that two of the leaves (I think?) are far less sturdy than the other ones, and are slightly red.

Like, I water the plant once a week like my other succulents, gets the same type/amount of light (if anything these two leaves are slightly closer to the window) but this one (don't know the species) is the only one experiencing this. the white stuff comes from a bit of our local hard water that didn't get filtered out, I don't know where to start on the Whats Wrong thing since, like I said, everything else is getting the same amount of stuff and I'm not sure what thing is different between this one and everything else.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 12, 2019

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I bought some succulents a couple months ago, repotted them, and I've had them under a grow light since I bought em. The other day I noticed that two of the leaves (I think?) are far less sturdy than the other ones, and are slightly red.

Like, I water the plant once a week like my other succulents, gets the same type/amount of light (if anything these two leaves are slightly closer to the window) but this one (don't know the species) is the only one experiencing this. the white stuff comes from a bit of our local hard water that didn't get filtered out, I don't know where to start on the Whats Wrong thing since, like I said, everything else is getting the same amount of stuff and I'm not sure what thing is different between this one and everything else.

That plant looks overwatered. Also you should clean off that white stuff with alcohol in case it’s a fungus.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Kin posted:

I hope this is the right place to post this because you're all so good with keeping plants alive, but i'm new to it and having difficulty with my lawn (which is technically a plant).

Basically, It's a new build house we moved into in October 18 and this was freshly laid turf (provided by the housebuilder) put in just before we moved in. I watered it a couple of times and cut it once in October before winter started in November then did nothing with it until the beginning of March.

However, in march it rained quite a bit and revealed a drainage issue and essentially everything but the bottom right corner of the garden was squelchy, soft and far to easy to sink into (boggy basically) and the soil composition is clay. When it eventually dried off enough to cut in the beginning of April, the pictures below is how it looked. I gave it another watering since then at the end of April, but it got a bit boggy again so i held off.

You'll see my neighbours garden in one of the pictures too. They moved in and had the turf installed at roughly the same time, but the only issue they have is where it connects to mine under our fence. It's otherwise looking like i'd expect 6 month old turf to look. They've insisted that they've not done anything to it other than the occasional watering and mowing.

Any idea what it could be? Something you'll notice is that the left most rows of turf are a darker shade of green. This was like that when we moved in and it actually has a much faster rate of growth than the rest of the garden. To me it feels like that's been healthier turf put in, while the rest has been
put it from an older batch or something maybe? It's also not suffered from shrinkage, those gaps were there between the turf when we moved in. We were told it would stitch together themselves, but that clearly hasn't happened.

Another thing to note is that i've seen a LOT of birds pecking at the grass and digging up some kind of insect, so presumably the turf is full of them but i heard that birds are good for aeration.

This sucks, man. You should not be having this problem with properly installed sod on properly prepared new construction.

1) Do you get standing water, or does it just get kind of soft?
2) It's a little bit hard to tell from pictures, but are the actual *individual clumps* in the bad section less healthy, or do they look just as healthy but far thinner (and surrounded by dead grass)?
3) After a few dry days, do the "Screwdriver Test" in a bad part and compare it to a good one: How easy is it push a long, straight probe like a slot-head screwdriver down into the soil? Is there a distinct difference?
4) Do a "Pull Test" in the same areas. Reach down and grab a good handful of blades near the soil and give it a firm (but not violent) tug -- it should be enough that you wouldn't dislodge normally healthy turf. Does the good section feel more firmly rooted than the bad one? Does the bad section pull right out? Bonus Q: Do this near the corner of a sod "tile" and see if the sod itself lifts right off.

A few theories:

A - Bad Sod: The fact that this almost seems to align directly with the sod lines makes me think it *could* be something stupid like they did the first section with fresh sod and then finished up with a bunch that had been sitting out for way too long and so had a lot of die-back; however, while that would explain general thinness the grass that was able to establish should be roughly as healthy by now (or certainly a month or two from now).

B - Compaction: Since it's new construction the bad areas may correspond to highly compacted soils from heavy equipment that they didn't properly grade and finish before puttting down the sod. I could totally imagine that happening if they had only done the grading and soil work up to your neighbor's house (for example) when the sod guys showed up and they just slapped the grass down everywhere regardless of whether it was properly prepped.

C - Waterlogging / Drainage: It's a little bit hard to tell from the photos, but to me it looks like the bad areas correspond to a general "bowl-like" depression in the yard that's going to collect water, and the severity of the grass problems seems to correspond to the depth of the perceived depression (which would make sense). This in turn is going to lead to waterlogging of the soil beneath the sod layer, preventing the roots from penetrating there and ultimately causing that grass to thin out and die. The fact that the soil seems to mound up towards the fence with your neighbor seems like a dead give-away that something is screwed up about the grade. This is potentially caused by the same hypothetical situation as (B) -- the grading they did sucked and it washed out/compacted unevenly.

D - Fungus/Disease: It's probably not a fungus/disease.

Unfortulately, if it is an installation/grading/drainage problem then there aren't really any cheap/easy/non-disruptive ways to fix it. On the other hand, if you have any kind of warrenty from the builder (long shot perhaps) then it in my mind it should be completely on them to fix this. There's really no excuse for that kind of drainage problem in new construction besides laziness/cost-cutting. You might need a landscaper to come out and confirm "yeah this is a problem". If the builder won't make it right then you've got a few options, the best of which might be digging a french drain/swale along the fence (maybe talking to the neighbour about splitting the cost/doing both sides if it affects them as well) and top-dressing the low areas with a mix of coarse sand and calcined clay.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Mr. Vile posted:

New additions!

One month later...

click for enormous

Do all purpureas have ridiculous leaf size jumps? My venosa did this as well.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hubis posted:

This sucks, man. You should not be having this problem with properly installed sod on properly prepared new construction.

1) Do you get standing water, or does it just get kind of soft?
2) It's a little bit hard to tell from pictures, but are the actual *individual clumps* in the bad section less healthy, or do they look just as healthy but far thinner (and surrounded by dead grass)?
3) After a few dry days, do the "Screwdriver Test" in a bad part and compare it to a good one: How easy is it push a long, straight probe like a slot-head screwdriver down into the soil? Is there a distinct difference?
4) Do a "Pull Test" in the same areas. Reach down and grab a good handful of blades near the soil and give it a firm (but not violent) tug -- it should be enough that you wouldn't dislodge normally healthy turf. Does the good section feel more firmly rooted than the bad one? Does the bad section pull right out? Bonus Q: Do this near the corner of a sod "tile" and see if the sod itself lifts right off.

A few theories:

A - Bad Sod: The fact that this almost seems to align directly with the sod lines makes me think it *could* be something stupid like they did the first section with fresh sod and then finished up with a bunch that had been sitting out for way too long and so had a lot of die-back; however, while that would explain general thinness the grass that was able to establish should be roughly as healthy by now (or certainly a month or two from now).

B - Compaction: Since it's new construction the bad areas may correspond to highly compacted soils from heavy equipment that they didn't properly grade and finish before puttting down the sod. I could totally imagine that happening if they had only done the grading and soil work up to your neighbor's house (for example) when the sod guys showed up and they just slapped the grass down everywhere regardless of whether it was properly prepped.

C - Waterlogging / Drainage: It's a little bit hard to tell from the photos, but to me it looks like the bad areas correspond to a general "bowl-like" depression in the yard that's going to collect water, and the severity of the grass problems seems to correspond to the depth of the perceived depression (which would make sense). This in turn is going to lead to waterlogging of the soil beneath the sod layer, preventing the roots from penetrating there and ultimately causing that grass to thin out and die. The fact that the soil seems to mound up towards the fence with your neighbor seems like a dead give-away that something is screwed up about the grade. This is potentially caused by the same hypothetical situation as (B) -- the grading they did sucked and it washed out/compacted unevenly.

D - Fungus/Disease: It's probably not a fungus/disease.

Unfortulately, if it is an installation/grading/drainage problem then there aren't really any cheap/easy/non-disruptive ways to fix it. On the other hand, if you have any kind of warrenty from the builder (long shot perhaps) then it in my mind it should be completely on them to fix this. There's really no excuse for that kind of drainage problem in new construction besides laziness/cost-cutting. You might need a landscaper to come out and confirm "yeah this is a problem". If the builder won't make it right then you've got a few options, the best of which might be digging a french drain/swale along the fence (maybe talking to the neighbour about splitting the cost/doing both sides if it affects them as well) and top-dressing the low areas with a mix of coarse sand and calcined clay.

Cheers for the information

It's not the greatest video, but i took a shot of how it was 'squelching' back in April before i was able to cut it:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16AI_8Y64jY8dVu74Kr1TsNEAirDG0DVn

1) Basically, it was soft but if any sort of pressure was applied to it, out would come water, especially around any area that i did a test dig for soil composition.
2) Here's a better shot of that bit from last month as well as a couple of new pics from today (i cut the grass again yesterday) which show where the grass is thinning out even in the 'healthy' looking area.

To me (in between the clippings) it looks like there are a handful of healthy bits, but on the whole the patch looks unhealthy. This was actually the first bit to go bad and started to turn yellow in November. This is also where the gaps between the turf were the worst. This bit was always a lot dryer than the other parts of the garden though, can you get drainage issues in the other direction too. I.e. some parts don't drain well enough others drain far too much?

3) I did the screwdriver test a few weeks after moving in. I couldn't really tell the difference and it went into the ground firmly (i.e. with slight resistance), but fairly easily in both places.
4) I gave the pull test a try and what's there seems fairly rooted to the point where i could hear the blade of grass start to break rather than coming out of the soil.

Theories:
Cheers for these, especially the first one. I figured bad/old turf probably wan't helping but it's good to get a second opinion from someone who thinks the same. The really odd thing is that the bad patch in the lower right of the garden always seemed to be dryer than the rest of the garden. I.e. it never squelched. you can see these in the last 2 photos. They were taken at the same time today but the soil on the left has a lot more moisture in it.

The garden itself slopes from the back fence to the house yeah, but the slope from right to left is gradual at best. However, the house to the left of me slopes down towards my garden, so that bottom left corner will be getting hit from the other side.

Would it be safe to say then, that the issue is due to a combination of poor sod, installation and drainage. One of the contractors came around and insisted that the quality/installation of the sod was fine, so this is why i'm looking for other opinions form folk in the know about garden care.

I think i'm "lucky" in that the video is shot within 3 metres of the house which means it's within the NHBC guidelines of the house builder needing to install drainage. I've flagged with both them and the housebuilder but it's been over 8 weeks now since i originally reported it. I don't really want to do too much to it incase they try and claim it's from my negligence, but i do think it's only going to get worse. If they install drainage, i'll be looking to get them to replace the damaged turf while they're at it, but i'll try and find a local gardener who'd be up for giving me a survey too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mr. Vile posted:

One month later...

click for enormous

Do all purpureas have ridiculous leaf size jumps? My venosa did this as well.

Looks like maybe it’s not getting enough light. It needs full sun or a dedicated light if it’s indoors.

You’ll know it’s getting enough if it’s purple and the “fins” stay compact.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Looks like maybe it’s not getting enough light. It needs full sun or a dedicated light if it’s indoors.

You’ll know it’s getting enough if it’s purple and the “fins” stay compact.

I know, but sadly I'm on the wrong side of the building for full sun. I'm doing what I can with plant lights but so far it's not been enough to get that gorgeous purple colouration back.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'd like to send my mom a ginkgo sapling as a (late) Mother's Day gift. Can anyone recommend a good mail order nursery?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Where are you located? I've had very good luck with Wallace Woodstock, located in Wisconsin.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ColdPie posted:

Where are you located? I've had very good luck with Wallace Woodstock, located in Wisconsin.

They're in eastern Washington. I'll check out Wallace Woodstock

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Pham Nuwen posted:

They're in eastern Washington. I'll check out Wallace Woodstock

Eastern Washington should have some pretty good nurseries. I think this is the kind of gift where the shorter the shipping distance, the better. A local so-so tree might arrive in better condition than a great one that has to travel 1000 miles.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Well this is a cool cactus planter

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I need to know where to buy more cool planters

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Could somebody help me ID this? It lives in SoCal on undeveloped/unmaintained land.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

:byodood: Looks like a buckeye (Junonia coenia).

Yellow yarrow, maybe?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Possibly some escaped lantana? Pictures of leaves/stems and the whole plant would help.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My awesome Picture This app IDs it as golden yarrow.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

My awesome Picture This app IDs it as golden yarrow.

I agree.

And it's native, tolerant as poo poo, and the butterflies obviously love it, so I'll try to blanket my garden with their seeds.

Thanks.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
And now you have a yarrow garden!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I had to neaten up my garden recently so why not :justpost:

I'm greenhousing the fig because we are coming to winter at the moment

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

theHUNGERian posted:

I agree.

And it's native, tolerant as poo poo, and the butterflies obviously love it, so I'll try to blanket my garden with their seeds.

Thanks.

Yarrow is awesome. There are also different colors if you’re interested.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I recently planted some yarrow 'moonshine' and it's just about to start flowering.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I had no idea the UK's knotweed problem was this bad

https://slate.com/technology/2019/05/japanese-knotweed-invasive-plants.html

Sounds worse than privet and wisteria, somehow

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Back when I was in the Washington Conservation Corp, we had had to directly inject undiluted glyphosate into the stalks of japanese knotweed to kill it, it was that invasive.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Back when I was in the Washington Conservation Corp, we had had to directly inject undiluted glyphosate into the stalks of japanese knotweed to kill it, it was that invasive.

the article actually talks about this being done in Oregon

The most amazing thing is that, at least in the UK, every knotweed plant is a clone of the first one brought to the country.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Solkanar512 posted:

In the moment, this felt absurd, a demented instruction from the Wile E. Coyote guide to gardening. This was before I knew that two full-time knotweed fighters had, in 2004, shot glyphosate into more than 28,000 knotweed stems along Oregon’s Sandy River. Or that in the United Kingdom, it has been a crime to plant or transport unsealed knotweed since 1990. Or that right here in New York City, more than 200 acres of parkland have been overtaken by the plant.

Anyway, it didn’t work.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jestery posted:

I had to neaten up my garden recently so why not :justpost:

I'm greenhousing the fig because we are coming to winter at the moment

You are making me want to bonsai something. Now to find a brick...

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

I got this Oncidium from work. The only thing it's really done since I've brought it home (been a few weeks) was put out a new set of leaves which are thinner and paler green. I'm afraid I won't have enough light for this lovely thing to thrive. As you can see, the space is fairly bright but it's all from a north facing window.

This is another work rescue. It was part of a tray of assorted unlabeled succulents. I finally pinned it down to Senecio articularis. It was looking so bad before, with only two leaves and fairly pruney stem. It seems to have perked up nicely since, gaining a full set of leaves and fattening up nicely.

Okay, so they're all rescues. Too bad I don't have any before pictures of this Phlebodium. It's bounced back extremely well and keeps getting bigger and better.

And finally, look who decided to rear its ugly head! Shame on you, flower! Go hide your genitals elsewhere you hussy! (I kind of like that there's just one flower lol)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

the article actually talks about this being done in Oregon

The most amazing thing is that, at least in the UK, every knotweed plant is a clone of the first one brought to the country.

Yeah, I was a little triggered from my personal experience to read the whole thing before posting. :p

The shallow root systems really gently caress with the rivers. All it takes is for a storm to knock some of it down into the river itself (along with dirt/mud/silt/etc), but it also means that those bits float downriver to be established elsewhere.

Holy loving poo poo do I hate this plant. Genocide is too good for it.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Holy poo poo, we have that on my parent's farm in new hampshire but I had no idea it was that until now - we just called it bamboo. As a kid I'd get broomsticks and spend hours pretending to be Donatello whacking through bamboo canes, because they give an extremely satisfying pulpy, watery explosion.

It's still there, so I can't recommend that method for control, but it's definitely fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Nosre posted:

Holy poo poo, we have that on my parent's farm in new hampshire but I had no idea it was that until now - we just called it bamboo. As a kid I'd get broomsticks and spend hours pretending to be Donatello whacking through bamboo canes, because they give an extremely satisfying pulpy, watery explosion.

It's still there, so I can't recommend that method for control, but it's definitely fun.
That sounds like a very effective way of spreading it, considering pieces of the stems can become new plants. :zombie: