Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Feel pretty good about this round:

Using this guy, the "Snake Cultist":

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

i'm rank 15 and have literally never ended a round above 1:1 KD

it's me, i am the pubbie

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Why do so many dregs of humanity play this game? I can't go one game without at least one racist rear end in a top hat spamming their mouth diarrhea in chat, usually a swarm of them. As soon as one spouts up, a whole group of them joins in.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 11, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

megane posted:

i'm rank 15 and have literally never ended a round above 1:1 KD

it's me, i am the pubbie

count assists cuz people "steal" kills a lot

bolster your heart, friend

edit: So the crossbow is actually pretty solid, all told. The reloads really aren't that long, so you can do it even in a melee. People will get absolutely pissy at you for playing an archer, but you'll also walk away from a match with a huge amount of assists.

I recommend grabbing dodge. You can dodge back while changing weapons, so being the helpless fool isn't so bad and it makes archery duels much easier. Grab a cheap sword of your choosing (cleaver might be sleeper op to be honest) and go nuts. Torso hits will do at a minimum thirty damage, so you're definitely helping. Just don't expect to land a lot of headshots. Picking up friendly would be a good idea, too, for hopefully obvious reasons. :v:

Also of note, if someone is charging and in your face they can't block a shot when they're swinging at you, so if you're fighting someone with a non-heavy helmet you can just delete them, at least with the crossbow. Which is extra fun because people like to bumrush the archer despite them usually being useless. Just watch out cuz, uh, you can chamber arrows, so it's not completely fool proof.

You will not get a lot of kills, as usually if you can pick someone off they're in an actual fight and getting pushed back and forth from blocking, but you'll have a mountain of assists.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 11, 2019

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Diogines posted:

Why do so many dregs of humanity play this game? I can't go one game without at least one racist rear end in a top hat spamming their mouth diarrhea in chat, usually a swarm of them. As soon as one spouts up, a whole group of them joins in.

I've been playing online games since online games were a thing, and I can assure you that this is nothing new. It isn't that the dregs of humanity play this game, it's that humanity is the dregs.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

It feels worse in this than most games I've played recently.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
I played on a duel server for about an hour straight and got my rear end thoroughly handed to me, but a nice person said I was really good considering im only level 5 :unsmith:

Swordfights are cool and good

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
most old game communities turn into into either chill bros or #gamers of shittiness, and all the chiv folk migrated to this

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Not the Messiah posted:

I played on a duel server for about an hour straight and got my rear end thoroughly handed to me, but a nice person said I was really good considering im only level 5 :unsmith:

Swordfights are cool and good

duel servers are generally a higher tier of player too

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Diogines posted:

The deus vult meme is a chud meme. The game is worse than most because it attracts the tiki torch whites.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrgYgI8W_TI

1:25 lmao holy poo poo

I love trix, goddamnit. That long stretch after the catapult thing where he's just Sauron with the eveningstar, so good

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 11, 2019

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Diogines posted:

While racists and edgy teenagers are omnipresent in online gaming, a game about medieval combat where you are restricted to playing a white dude is inevitably going to attract a certain crowd. It doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be any moderation that I've noticed. At most a player might get kicked from a server but even then they can rejoin immediately.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
can we stop pretending this game isn't an anomaly and it isn't catering to them? cheers.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

moderation is something their community manager said was high on their priority list when they start the process to pull in more staff, I believe. At least a few people who's job it is to personally respond to situations in the official servers, and some sort of official system to get their attention. I'll see if I can grill Jaxx for more information though

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Motherfucker posted:

can we stop pretending this game isn't an anomaly and it isn't catering to them? cheers.

Is a bunch of idiot kids calling each other racial slurs an anomaly? Isn't the top youtube gaming guy a white dude that "ironically" shouts racial slurs for lols?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Diogines posted:

Hey goons if you saw this post and felt the need to rush in and disagree you’re at minimum complicit in the problem. There’s no need to rehash how actually historical accuracy shows us that *farrrrrrrrrrt*

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

drat I went to make an eveningstar build and this thing is expensive. I know it seems better than the war axe but is it 3 extra points better? drat

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Had a little accident and I just know I'm never ever in a million years going to replicate it

https://i.imgur.com/mo7M1hE.mp4

Quality ain't the best, I dunno what kind of settings to use in Gooncam to make good looking gifs without making the file size enormous.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 11, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

While racists and edgy teenagers are omnipresent in online gaming, a game about medieval combat where you are restricted to playing a white dude is inevitably going to attract a certain crowd. It doesn't help that there doesn't seem to be any moderation that I've noticed. At most a player might get kicked from a server but even then they can rejoin immediately.
That is a good point, if a kick resulted in a temporary ban that might help...

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I tested the server I rented today and it works like a charm. I put it on US East even though I'm in Europe because I figured most people are coming in from US and it seemed like a decent compromise. Sadly the game seems to lack a way to add an MOTD, so I hope that's changed soon.

If folks want I'll put a password on the server for the time being and goons can go to town.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you post the server details I'll put it in the OP. Is it eventually going to be public? What kind of server is it? Duels/Skirmish? Slots? Any particular rules other than the obvious "don't say the n-word"? Also, if you plan on putting a password on it, make a post in PGS and I'll link to it in the OP as well, to help with security.

once my income stabilizes I really don't mind tossing a few bucks your way to keep the server up if people are using it. I just didn't want to run it, historically that has gone bad for me lol. Also I'd be glad to help mod it, most of the time I'm on Mordhau I'm trying to clown on dudes in duel servers anyway and I'm always available on discord, I could always pop in and ban some idiot if need-be.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 11, 2019

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

drat I went to make an eveningstar build and this thing is expensive. I know it seems better than the war axe but is it 3 extra points better? drat

I’ve been wondering about this with a few of the more expensive weapons. They all seem to have very similar but cheaper counterparts. I barely have time to sneak games in so I can’t even remember which ones specifically let alone really try out the differences for myself.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
As is often the case with .gifs, it's better with sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXNYYihFOG4

EDIT: vvv :toot:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 11, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^^ I put that in the OP lol ^^^

From what I can tell, at the very least the Spear and the Executioner sword are 100% worth it in most cases. The Exec sword is absolutely busted right now, just cleaving through pubbies with little hesitation or remorse.

e: to clarify, it doesn't seem broken, just that it's the best at doing the thing that gets you the most kills, dragging and swinging at people who kind of barely know how to play

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 11, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ritznit posted:

I tested the server I rented today and it works like a charm. I put it on US East even though I'm in Europe because I figured most people are coming in from US and it seemed like a decent compromise. Sadly the game seems to lack a way to add an MOTD, so I hope that's changed soon.

If folks want I'll put a password on the server for the time being and goons can go to town.

hell ya, whats the server info

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

^^^ I put that in the OP lol ^^^

From what I can tell, at the very least the Spear and the Executioner sword are 100% worth it in most cases. The Exec sword is absolutely busted right now, just cleaving through pubbies with little hesitation or remorse.

e: to clarify, it doesn't seem broken, just that it's the best at doing the thing that gets you the most kills, dragging and swinging at people who kind of barely know how to play

Exe sword seems bad in 1v1 to me, but in Frontlines its just devastatingly good.

Roobanguy got me hooked on bastard sword. Other than that, I've been playing a lot of longsword and war axe

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrgYgI8W_TI

1:25 lmao holy poo poo

I love trix, goddamnit. That long stretch after the catapult thing where he's just Sauron with the eveningstar, so good

I wonder if Trix always plays with no UI elements or just when recording, it certainly cuts down on distractions.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

code:
| Name                | Attack | Alt Mode         | H           | T           | L           | H               | T             | L            | Length | Windup | Combo   | Release | Point | Type           | Stop   | Can   |
|                     |        |                  | HTK         | HTK         | HTK         | Damage          | Damage        | Damage       |        |        |         |         |  Cost |                | On Hit | Combo |
|---------------------+--------+------------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-----------------+---------------+--------------+--------+--------+---------+---------+-------+----------------+--------+-------|
| War Axe             | Thrust | N/A              | 5/5/5/5     | 8/9/10/10   | 8/15/17/20  | 23/22/21/20     | 13/12/11/10   | 13/7/6/5     | 65 cm  | 575 ms | 825 ms  | 350 ms  |     5 | Two Handed     | Yes    | Yes   |
| War Axe             | Strike | N/A              | 1/1/2/2     | 1/2/2/2     | 2/2/2/3     | 130/105/80/70   | 100/75/65/55  | 80/65/55/45  | 65 cm  | 625 ms | 675 ms  | 500 ms  |     5 | Two Handed     | No     | Yes   |
| Eveningstar         | Thrust | Off              | 2/2/2/2     | 3/3/3/3     | 3/4/4/4     | 60/55/51/50     | 45/40/36/35   | 40/30/26/25  | 90 cm  | 625 ms | 900 ms  | 350 ms  |     8 | Two Handed     | Yes    | Yes   |
| Eveningstar         | Strike | Off              | 1/1/2/2     | 2/2/2/2     | 2/3/3/3     | 102/100/72/70   | 62/59/57/55   | 57/44/42/40  | 90 cm  | 675 ms | 850 ms  | 475 ms  |     8 | Two Handed     | Yes    | Yes   |
| Eveningstar         | Thrust | On               | 2/2/2/2     | 2/2/2/2     | 3/3/3/4     | 75/70/65/60     | 65/60/55/50   | 45/40/35/30  | 60 cm  | 675 ms | 950 ms  | 350 ms  |     8 | Two Handed     | Yes    | Yes   |
| Eveningstar         | Strike | On               | 1/2/2/2     | 2/2/2/2     | 2/3/3/3     | 100/73/67/66    | 60/58/52/51   | 50/43/37/36  | 60 cm  | 650 ms | 850 ms  | 450 ms  |     8 | Two Handed     | Yes    | Yes   |
I would say yah. Weapons like the eveningstar which are good at both swings and stabs means that you can choose to make the opponent chamber attacks which their weapon sucks at. Conversely, the eveningstar won't struggle chambering other weapons. The war axe is absolutely pitiful at thrust damage so it is terrible at chambering thrusts. The eveningstar also has way more range. 65cm weapons feel like you have to be practically touching the opponent to hit them, so a 90cm range is gonna make it harder for them to juke your swings.

I made a paste of the ascii table that shows hit to kill for the various weapons:
https://pastebin.com/raw/6gGGMnC2

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The real competition for the eveningstar is the exe sword since they're both around the same length and price range.
Basically you're trading the ability to cleave through multiple enemies and a little bit of length and in return getting ridiculously huge stab damage so you can more easily mix stuff up with morphs. Plus a shorter alt grip of dubious usefulness.
e: oh yeah and it can do combo swings while the executioner sword cannot.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 11, 2019

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I've noticed w/ longass weapons like an executioner's sword, a significant dueling disadvantage might be that if you try to use an underhand attack, that poo poo gets stuck on the ground. So if an observant opponent is trying to chamber you, they only have to worry about 2 different attacks from a direction instead of 3.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Billhook 2, Horses 0. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPjplyvrtLU Also a good example that the billhook's primary thrust will dismount a rider, even though it is a push, not a pull.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Is throwing your weapon acceptable in duels?

This question is more academic than anything else, because I'm not going to loving stop. I use maul and cleaver. If somebody backs off after I get a hit in I'm going to throw whatever I'm holding and if they don't die I'll finish the fight with the other weapon.

Edit: Nobody EVER seems to expect you to throw your weapon at them but I haven't had anybody complain about it yet.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

In my experience, no it's not frowned upon, primarily because the risk/reward is so great. Some people might get mad but they'd get mad at anything that wasn't 3/3/3 zweihander spin duels. Most of us will laugh about it. Some of us might even block it and gently caress you up lol

The thing that's frowned upon is bringing a weapon specifically to throw, like yeah dude wonder what the guy with three shortspears is about to do, but again it's not a huge deal. I personally just don't fight those people if I'm not in the mood to be on guard to parry a thrown weapon at all times. I kind of wish I could feint a throw, or morph into a weapon throw.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 11, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Weapon throws (or axes) are pretty decent when someone whiffs an attack at what they think is a safe distance.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't really see people use throwing weapons in duels, but I don't think its that big of a deal so long as you don't hit any other duelists. You are taking a pretty big risk by doing a throwing weapon in a duel and they can technically block them, so seems like fair game for the most part. You will definitely get some salt from time to time though I am certain.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah throw away, the only people you'll upset are the same people you'd be upsetting in some other trivial way anyway. Anyone who doesn't slide a "nice" or a "gf" after any duel that lasts more than 10 seconds is to be avoided anyway lol

Especially if it's the maul, 100% of thrown maul kills are earned and worthy imo

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

eonwe posted:

I don't really see people use throwing weapons in duels, but I don't think its that big of a deal so long as you don't hit any other duelists. You are taking a pretty big risk by doing a throwing weapon in a duel and they can technically block them, so seems like fair game for the most part. You will definitely get some salt from time to time though I am certain.

It's not really using a throwing weapon, it's throwing one of the weapons that you can throw, basically the maul or most 1 handed weapons. I've just been kinda shocked at how people never seem to parry it at all. I had one guy say "I didn't realize you could throw the maul."

I just kinda assumed that people in duel servers would get salty about any sort of ranged thing.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I never played Chivalry or the like. Is this game worth trying out for at least the Steam Refund period?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

People in duel servers are the least salty about things in my experience. Sure you'll get the occasional bitch-made but most people realize that if someone is doing something that you don't like, just don't duel that guy anymore.

Rangers, like people with throwing weapons and bows are actually really easy to deal with in a 1v1 setting, so the only rage that happens when a dude with a bow or extra swords to huck around shows up is because they're usually just randomly killing people.