Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

That just inspired me to look up the stupid superlicense horseshit and its truly something to behold. Winning a loving Cup championship, arguably an accomplishment more grueling and impressive than anything else in racing, gives less magic points than F3 Americas. The first year series that had 4 cars show up at a race last year. It gives less points than the W series.

It is time to classify the FIA as a terrorist organization and put anyone who works with them in Guantanamo.

Somehow you have understated how stupid it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

The FIA's a political organization; nothing they do makes much sense outside of furthering their own bullshit.

It is one of the reasons some outfits like Red Bull are a little more lateral in their driver searches, why some drivers consider Formula Renault / Nippon (Superformula) a worthy career move as the official feeders can be a bit of a question mark in terms of competitiveness, not to mention astronomical cost. I think F2 budgets are not far off Indycar.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Will Buxton claimed on F1's Paddock Pass to have had Christian Horner confirm O'Ward has enough points for a superlicense already. Buxton had earlier in the video said that he'd heard gossip to that effect.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
World of Outlaws is nowhere on the super license list, F1 is a fraud

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

marshalljim posted:

Will Buxton claimed on F1's Paddock Pass to have had Christian Horner confirm O'Ward has enough points for a superlicense already. Buxton had earlier in the video said that he'd heard gossip to that effect.

I mean Christian Horner gets a lot of things wrong so...

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Is Herta gonna have a new sponsor or some poo poo? His car has been blank during orientation and even the spotter guide released today just has his car's silhouette grayed out.

Edit:

Also, good for O'Ward, that dude went through some bullshit getting into Indycar and he deserves more than he's got so far.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Reynold posted:

Is Herta gonna have a new sponsor or some poo poo? His car has been blank during orientation and even the spotter guide released today just has his car's silhouette grayed out.

If they do it’s likely TBA until after the Indy GP. Would make sense to drum up the press and interest then, and not before this weekend. Why tip that hand in rookie orientation?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Indy GP Qualifying is today at 4:30pm EDT on NBCSN

Also the NBC Gold IndyCar pass is on sale for $40 during the Month of May so you can get all your Indy 500 practice fix

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

harperdc posted:

If they do it’s likely TBA until after the Indy GP. Would make sense to drum up the press and interest then, and not before this weekend. Why tip that hand in rookie orientation?

GESS is going to sponsor him for the month of May and "a variety of other races" through the end of the season.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Theris posted:

GESS is going to sponsor him for the month of May and "a variety of other races" through the end of the season.

I put $10 on him to win the 500, I demand that he personally refund that money. He cheated me cause they didnt say it was gonna be a green car.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Red Bull believe O'Ward has enough points to earn a super license because he finished 2nd in Pro Mazda in 2016 (7 points), 1st in IMSA PC in 2017 (18 points), and 1st in Indy Lights last year (15 points). But it's unclear if PC counts as "IMSA Prototypes," which is the only class that awards super license points, or if Pro Mazda and Indy Lights met the grid size requirements to qualify. So he might have 40 points, might have none. The only thing we know for sure is that this is stupid.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
PC should count as racing a toilet

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/FastCarsin317/status/1126940342933237767

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Thought Harvey was gonna have it there for a second, cool for Felix though. First time pole sitters are Good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Big Huski Boi posted:

But it's unclear if PC counts as "IMSA Prototypes," which is the only class that awards super license points

nah that's going to be the DPis and LMP2s. That's the top pro class, PC definitely wasn't that.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
FWIW LMP2s are separate this year in a Pro-Am class. They added a little weight and forced them to Le Man's gearing to slow them down a bit, and unleashed the DPis

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

PC should count as racing a toilet

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Nice.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
It's race day for the INDYCAR Grand Prix!

Today's schedule

It's looking evermore likely to be a wet race today

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

That just inspired me to look up the stupid superlicense horseshit and its truly something to behold. Winning a loving Cup championship, arguably an accomplishment more grueling and impressive than anything else in racing, gives less magic points than F3 Americas. The first year series that had 4 cars show up at a race last year. It gives less points than the W series.

It is time to classify the FIA as a terrorist organization and put anyone who works with them in Guantanamo.

There are grid size requirements so F3 Americas only pays those points if it gets a lot more than 4 cars.

As Wicka points out, O'Ward might suffer on that score too.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This is gonna be a complete wet race :getin:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

devmd01 posted:

This is gonna be a complete wet race :getin:

I dunno it might rain near the end of the race if anything :smith:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looking at radar loops right now, the storm is coming but it seems to be moving more northeasterly than pure east. Hourly forecast is currently showing rain chances between 1-3% during the time the race is being held.

https://www.wunderground.com/radar/us/in/indianapolis/ind
https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/in/indianapolis/39.703%2C-86.275

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pretty entertaining clown shoes so far

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

thank christ for the rain, this would've been a parade otherwise

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I recorded this so I'm behind but I absolutely loving loathe the way they handle yellows in this series. Just clear the track and go green. There doesn't need to be three extra caution laps after for no reason.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The coverage of this race is among the worst I have ever seen

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

rain gonna come and TK is gonna Ralf Waldmann his way to victory :getin:

e: ok maybe not

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 11, 2019

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1127320066788397056

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

sup y'all i just realized that jack harvey is not jay howard

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

just lol

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This race has made me hate IndyCar so much. It is so loving bad.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

God bless Pagenaud for rescuing a race the series tried so hard to ruin

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Big Huski Boi posted:

This race has made me hate IndyCar so much. It is so loving bad.

And ABC wasn't the problem. NBC is just as bad. The frequent commercial breaks and the loving bumpers they play when they come out of the ad breaks totally break the flow of the race and make it hard to track different strategies.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

And ABC wasn't the problem. NBC is just as bad. The frequent commercial breaks and the loving bumpers they play when they come out of the ad breaks totally break the flow of the race and make it hard to track different strategies.

The stupid bumpers are by far the worst. I'm paying you to show me racing, advertisers are paying you to show me ads, loving no one wants to see these little 15 second vignettes. A close second worst was cutting away from every single on track battle only to cut back after a pass had happened, or maybe going picture in picture to show the 14th place car slowly trundling down pit lane.

Not to mention completely destroying the race by going yellow for what, eight laps? For Helio just loving stalling his car. Restart his car, clear the safety workers, go green. It's not difficult at all.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

The screens on track were terrible. They were stuttering and skipping all afternoon, and somebody in control must be in love with Graham Rahal because every time something cool left my sight (front straight passes, turn 1) I looked up and it was RAHAL CAM every fuckin time.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

It was never ABC, it was always the fact that ABC was completely dead by 2008.

"ABC Wide World of Sports" was one of the best friends Auto Racing ever had. It helped NASCAR reach a massive national audience and helped make "Indianapolis" a yearly national sporting event.

ESPN pre-2001? Same story. A great friend to Auto Racing. Gave dirt track/short track a national stage at the same time when TNN was showing the stuff.

I really think had it not been for a combination of ESPN having the rights to Cup (which was at it's saturation point) and TG just taking the money? This would have happened much sooner.

It blows.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Reynold posted:

The screens on track were terrible. They were stuttering and skipping all afternoon, and somebody in control must be in love with Graham Rahal because every time something cool left my sight (front straight passes, turn 1) I looked up and it was RAHAL CAM every fuckin time.

What they show on the track screens is the exact same thing as the TV broadcast at the same time (minus graphics)

And yeah there was a lot of stuttering of the track video screens.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Also NBC Sports Gold fuckin blows, everything has gigantic goddamn closed captioning on it that you can't turn off, and by the way is totally separate from the optional closed captioning. You'd think somebody could've figured that poo poo out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
That was a good race.