Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Our recruiting process is slowly ramping up and the lol-worthy applications are rolling in. This one is from a Hungarian with 14 page pdf resume, where each job is listed in painstaking detail on its own page, while still keeping half of it as a whitespace because of weird formatting, and another attachment was 20 scans of old certificates like "setting up network environment using Windows 2003". :suicide:

There was also a cover letter, but I didn't read it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Xarn posted:

Our recruiting process is slowly ramping up and the lol-worthy applications are rolling in. This one is from a Hungarian with 14 page pdf resume, where each job is listed in painstaking detail on its own page, while still keeping half of it as a whitespace because of weird formatting, and another attachment was 20 scans of old certificates like "setting up network environment using Windows 2003". :suicide:

There was also a cover letter, but I didn't read it :shrug:

Yeah I had a lot of those come in at my old job, mostly foreigners and/or students who probably didn't get that generally 3+ page resumes are generally frowned upon here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, or just that long resumes, up to a full curriculum vitae, are expected in that part of the world

you ever get one from a country where the applicant is expected to include a photograph of themselves and their marital status? Weird

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Acer Pilot posted:

another good point. I'm just gonna ride off into the sunset and go somewhere where I feel more appreciated :dukedog:

I made a bunch of pros and cons list for 3 options I had in my last job search. One of the pros for leaving was 'sticking it to old job' I didn't even dislike that job! But sticking it to em still counted as a pro lol

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

Well, or just that long resumes, up to a full curriculum vitae, are expected in that part of the world

you ever get one from a country where the applicant is expected to include a photograph of themselves and their marital status? Weird

Yes I once got a resume from a dude who included a full awkward smile face shot. He was a cool guy though and he got hired in the end.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

barkbell posted:

how do I get into machine learning

pick a good CSV editor

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

take a solved problem and tell people you solved it but with machine learning

take an unsolved problem and farm it out to mechanical turk and tell people you solved it with machine learning

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Applied to a company as practice and after 3 rounds got an offer that was pretty weak. Guess I'll practice negotiating too.

grats to all the new nerds jobs btw

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
lol I got fobbed off this morning with 'not enough room in the budget' for a promotion to my old boss' position (whose job I'm now doing) and have since received an email congratulating HR team leaders to their new director level positions. Time to brush off the CV and reach out to the recruiters...

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Under paying your employees and having them leave as a result is just part of the beautiful circle of life

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
From the inbox:

Thanks for your interest in Sphere.

We are an early AI startup and our sights are set high. Our goal is to become the next big name in tech, and to that end, we look for people who will embody our mission to simplify people’s lives through automation. Our selection process is uniformly stringent and includes a cognitive test, work assessment, and interview.

We have developed a tool that automatically creates social events between friends based on mutual interests and available times. We are now working on a new product that automatically matches job seekers with employers. We will be charging employers 10 percent of the yearly salary of each employee we find for them.

If you are chosen for the role, you will be expected to work at least 40 hours/week. As specified in the description, the starting compensation for this role is 10 percent of profits up to $1 million per annum along with shares, between 2.5% and 7.5% equity based on ability and performance. Please note that we are pre-revenue and expect to become profitable in one year.

Given the breadth of our ambition and the enormity of the challenge, we only consider those who will be a natural fit in our high-performance culture. Before you start the process, we need to know whether you are willing to make our mission your life’s work. Please read our company culture at ... and tell us why you believe you would be a good fit.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
as if I'm gonna read a whole job description

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

From the inbox:

Thanks for your interest in Sphere.

We are an early AI startup and our sights are set high. Our goal is to become the next big name in tech, and to that end, we look for people who will embody our mission to simplify people’s lives through automation. Our selection process is uniformly stringent and includes a cognitive test, work assessment, and interview.

We have developed a tool that automatically creates social events between friends based on mutual interests and available times. We are now working on a new product that automatically matches job seekers with employers. We will be charging employers 10 percent of the yearly salary of each employee we find for them.

If you are chosen for the role, you will be expected to work at least 40 hours/week. As specified in the description, the starting compensation for this role is 10 percent of profits up to $1 million per annum along with shares, between 2.5% and 7.5% equity based on ability and performance. Please note that we are pre-revenue and expect to become profitable in one year.

Given the breadth of our ambition and the enormity of the challenge, we only consider those who will be a natural fit in our high-performance culture. Before you start the process, we need to know whether you are willing to make our mission your life’s work. Please read our company culture at ... and tell us why you believe you would be a good fit.

the problem here is that anyone qualified to do the job can do math

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
theres an opening on apples job site for my city that’s a keyword for keyword perfect match for my resume. i just applied but if anyone wants to gamble their professional reputation on me in exchange (I’m assuming) for a referral bonus pls PM.

btw how bad is the amzn onsite? specifically the barrage of soft skill 14-words questions? I’ve never had to prepare so much for this part of an interview. Recruiter told me to prepare STAR format responses involving at least 8 anecdotes that exemplify at least 10 amazon values among them. and I need metrics on each one since they’re gonna drill me and compare notes for inconsistencies. I have enough I think sans exact metrics on everything... but it seems like all of that is gonna be hard to keep straight during an all-day interview

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Flat Daddy posted:

btw how bad is the amzn onsite? specifically the barrage of soft skill 14-words questions? I’ve never had to prepare so much for this part of an interview. Recruiter told me to prepare STAR format responses involving at least 8 anecdotes that exemplify at least 10 amazon values among them. and I need metrics on each one since they’re gonna drill me and compare notes for inconsistencies. I have enough I think sans exact metrics on everything... but it seems like all of that is gonna be hard to keep straight during an all-day interview

What position? The ancetdoes advice is good, just know their values and have stories that showcase those values; doesnt have to be from 14 different projects.

As for metrics? I don't know, I know I didn't focus too much on that other than orders of magnitude; I wouldn't feel comfortable telling exact numbers even if I knew them out of nda concerns from previous jobs. If you're worried about it maybe take some cheat sheets with talking points and stats on them, I think that would be a good look in terms of being prepared.

Also remember to have good questions for them; I always gently caress this up since after a 50 minute talking session the last thing I wanna do is talk more, but it's factored into the evaluation

I didn't think the on-site was too bad but ymmv

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

the problem here is that anyone qualified to do the job can do math

As if they are looking for actually qualified ppl

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ADINSX posted:

What position? The ancetdoes advice is good, just know their values and have stories that showcase those values; doesnt have to be from 14 different projects.

As for metrics? I don't know, I know I didn't focus too much on that other than orders of magnitude; I wouldn't feel comfortable telling exact numbers even if I knew them out of nda concerns from previous jobs. If you're worried about it maybe take some cheat sheets with talking points and stats on them, I think that would be a good look in terms of being prepared.

Also remember to have good questions for them; I always gently caress this up since after a 50 minute talking session the last thing I wanna do is talk more, but it's factored into the evaluation

I didn't think the on-site was too bad but ymmv

frontend engineer, position asks for 5 years exp. nice I’ve already made a cheat sheet for prepping, I didn’t think of actually bringing it with me in fear of seeming inauthentic but I might now. also now that I think about it if orders of magnitude are ok I can say things like bug reports reduced at least 10x after a rewrite etc for some of mine. gently caress I hope I get this lol. Big4 positions are far and few between here

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Flat Daddy posted:

theres an opening on apples job site for my city that’s a keyword for keyword perfect match for my resume. i just applied but if anyone wants to gamble their professional reputation on me in exchange (I’m assuming) for a referral bonus pls PM.

i'm heading to seattle for an onsite on monday and my recruiter didn't say anything about metrics... i wonder if one of that recruiter's previous candidates got caught in some sort of crazy lie or if the scale of a particular project he used for every example mysteriously got a few 0s over the course of the day

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

hobbesmaster posted:

i'm heading to seattle for an onsite on monday and my recruiter didn't say anything about metrics... i wonder if one of that recruiter's previous candidates got caught in some sort of crazy lie or if the scale of a particular project he used for every example mysteriously got a few 0s over the course of the day

yea he said that happened, not sure if it was as far as extra 0s. he did emphasize having data points a lot, but who knows, it could just be his idea of what they want??? another thing I’m worried about is all the different ways they can ask about each value. Like how the sample questions for “are right, a lot” I found online are either a time I disagreed or a time where I hosed up. More to add to the cheat sheet I guess...

good luck on yours. let’s gently caress them up and take their figgies

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

despite the principles coloring them those are all normal STAR behavioral questions

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was gonna say I posted bad examples but they’re all kinda easy like that. I guess it’s helping writing out what my worries are and seeing they’re not actually that bad and it might be ok. neat

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I have three on site interviews next week with three different places. It's nice to have multiple options and it's surprisingly easy to get dev interviews. But god does interviewing suck.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

what

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://www.amazon.jobs/en/principles

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
14 words is a white supremacist thing, it refers to the length of some quote they like by idk david duke or whoever

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Flat Daddy posted:

I was gonna say I posted bad examples but they’re all kinda easy like that. I guess it’s helping writing out what my worries are and seeing they’re not actually that bad and it might be ok. neat

Yeah it's really not that bad. They take those values pretty seriously so just keep it in mind, it's not like other company's where they put them on posters or whatever and that's as far as it goes

Of all the values though customer obession is number one, it's taken very seriously here, so you can score some points especially as a front end dev talking about how you think about design and customer interaction and stuff

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Flat Daddy posted:

I winged it and got an offer. every interviewer read their assigned questions off of their laptop then nodded sagely at my response.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i had an interview today and idk how well I did but I did enjoy myself

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Doccykins posted:

lol I got fobbed off this morning with 'not enough room in the budget' for a promotion to my old boss' position (whose job I'm now doing) and have since received an email congratulating HR team leaders to their new director level positions. Time to brush off the CV and reach out to the recruiters...

Did your old boss get laid off? Because that's perfect if so.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

my current company had a big meeting with our exec, all the dev managers, and some HR people. no team leads were invited. maybe I should wait to hand in my notice and see if I'm lucky enough to get a severance package!

the faang also never got back to me about whether or not they made a decision yet so I'll be signing the other offer. read over the posting again, which they reposted even before my onsite lol, and saw that they had msc preferred at the bottom. Ugh.

I'll just email her one last time to thank her for everything and to keep me in mind for any other positions. which I doubt she will but doesn't hurt I guess!

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Acer Pilot posted:

I'll just email her one last time to thank her for everything and to keep me in mind for any other positions. which I doubt she will but doesn't hurt I guess!

You'll be counting yourself out by doing that, so don't? Just let them ghost you if that's their thing. You won't change their mind with an email. If they're just busy then you get an offer in 2 weeks and quit the current place

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Not getting back to candidates is extremely poor form, especially for a faang. It also sounds like the hiring manager is an indecisive rear end in a top hat. Consider yourself lucky.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

which faang is it? every google recruiter ive known has been very communicative even when the message was “hiring committee still hasn’t met,” and amazon has a 2 working day slo on delivering the results to you. name and shame

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Google ghosted me after my onsite but that was a few years ago

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

Not getting back to candidates is extremely poor form, especially for a faang. It also sounds like the hiring manager is an indecisive rear end in a top hat. Consider yourself lucky.

my recruiter at Apple was a disorganized moron who required constant harassment and handholding at every step. also he has gray hair yet wears Affliction tee shirts on the reg

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Arcsech posted:

hey now, some of them will pivot and have founders that are skilled enough at scamming VCs to get money to do something reasonable

and/or acquihired by a bigco and assigned to work on something else

at least 5% of them aren't even blockchain companies to begin with and are just lying to vcs for funding

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

qhat posted:

Did your old boss get laid off? Because that's perfect if so.

No he moved to advance himself and instead of rehiring his role they've rejigged the org chart and put contractors under me. That was six months ago so this formal request being declined is p much the last straw

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 11, 2019

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ive never heard anything good about apples recruiting. I sent a resume when I was searching for jobs last (the same round I got google and amazon offers); the job req was right up my alley and I never heard poo poo. I complained about it online and a couple apple folks were like “you dummy never use our recruiting site, send it to me next time”

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I think apple is pretty non-evil as far as large companies go and it hurt my feelings, maybe I’m still a little salty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Apple recruiters are belligerently stupid and incompetent. I had one schedule several calls with me then miss every single one, eventually just giving me up and scheduling me for a phone screen. then gave me the phone screen date wrong by an entire month. I thought they were just ghosting me until I randomly got a voice mail about an apple phone screen.

two years later I had nearly the exact same experience with an entirely different group

loving idiots