Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is super dorky, but where can I find long sleeve the Next Generation uniform shirts? I want to get one for my wife and I. :3: We are on season 7 of TNG, this is her first time watching anything Star Trek and she really loves the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Star Trek also has a huge Libertarian following. Right wingers love to enjoy poo poo on a purely surface level whilst completely ignoring any and all subtext, no matter how on the nose it may be.
It's not even subtext! Star Trek in its text is seriously anticapitalist!

Kibayasu posted:

From a certain point a view Star Trek is a show about the morally and logically superior humans going around the galaxy showing all the weird aliens how dumb and backwards they are.
There it is. gently caress.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
A lot of the libertarian/right-wing love for Trek comes from people who are primarily fans of TOS, which is considerably less obvious in its anti-capitalist sentiment than more modern Treks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

deepfake that puts nimoy onto discovery spock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZj0dni-qGo

Oh I hate this

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Oh I hate this

would you prefer it to be applied to Star Trek Continues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipL9ecBLTfk

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pakled posted:

A lot of the libertarian/right-wing love for Trek comes from people who are primarily fans of TOS, which is considerably less obvious in its anti-capitalist sentiment than more modern Treks.

That's true, the Federation isn't expressly luxury gay space communism until TNG.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

It's not even subtext! Star Trek in its text is seriously anticapitalist!

Well don’t let these dipshits know :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgRlzFIgm1E

of course king idiot himself, Gary loving Johnson, shows up in that

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

This is super dorky, but where can I find long sleeve the Next Generation uniform shirts? I want to get one for my wife and I. :3: We are on season 7 of TNG, this is her first time watching anything Star Trek and she really loves the show.

I was literally thinking this today and I'd also like to know

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

I said come in! posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Uniform-Star-Trek-Long-Sleeve/dp/B01MDN7WSP

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
How does one buy the proper full uniform?

Asking for a... friend.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Bedshaped posted:

Asking for a... friend.

For which show

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

For which show

Lexx

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What's with the markings all over it though, in the image? Looks like a pretty poor quality shirt, but i'm also having a very difficult time actually finding anything myself so I can't complain too much. :v:

Missing DW-Link
Feb 14, 2019

by VideoGames

Don't kink shame.

Bedshaped posted:

Asking for a... friend.

Is it really that hard to search amazon?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lots of heavy embroidery, the loudest colours possible, then dye it all black. Also, strap a plastic scorpion to your wrist.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That reminds me did the Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra original shirt guys go out of business or something? All that appears to exist is lovely knock-offs lacking the back image which is half the joke.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Pakled posted:

The most libertarian guy I know loves Voyager, because...

Kibayasu posted:

From a certain point a view Star Trek is a show about the morally and logically superior humans going around the galaxy showing all the weird aliens how dumb and backwards they are.

This x100 with Voyager but the aliens are even more brown. *cough* Kazon *cough*

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In TOS it's very obvious the federation are a super idealized stand-in for the USA while the Klingons and Romulans and such represent rival superpowers like the Soviets and Chinese, while the various other minor civilizations they encounter are the 3rd world.

It's a show about a dashing womanizing all-american captain going around in a mighty warship to teach lesser races important moral messages while also not giving an inch to those drat commies, who he will gladly punch and shoot. It's a show that celebrates the military, technological, and moral superiority of the west and their benevolent role in the world guiding and protecting lesser races and fighting off the various evil empires that seek to oppress and enslave.

A lot of those people were pissed when TNG started. "This is PC liberal bullshit"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of those people were pissed when TNG started. "This is PC liberal bullshit"

The ship is so feminine and curved! Bring back my stack of dicks

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

The ship is so feminine and curved! Bring back my stack of dicks

Probably also didn't like that the pale Sex Robots were going to take their jobs in the future either.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Data actually was a sex robot. Goddamn. :psyduck:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Lots of heavy embroidery, the loudest colours possible, then dye it all black. Also, strap a plastic scorpion to your wrist.

Note: this also works for a Section 31 uniform.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Animal-Mother posted:

Data actually was a sex robot. Goddamn. :psyduck:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Baronjutter posted:

It's a show about a dashing womanizing all-american captain going around in a mighty warship to teach lesser races important moral messages while also not giving an inch to those drat commies, who he will gladly punch and shoot. It's a show that celebrates the military, technological, and moral superiority of the west and their benevolent role in the world guiding and protecting lesser races and fighting off the various evil empires that seek to oppress and enslave.

Uh, this is not really a good description of TOS.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I've been on a soundtrack binge lately to provide myself with some Trek-ish ambiance for work. Have we ever ranked the soundtracks? I'm gonna.

1. TMP
2. TWOK
3. Insurrection
4. First Contact
5. Final Frontier
6. Generations
7. Undiscovered Country
8. Search for Spock
9. Voyage Home
10. Nemesis

That's my hot take on Insurrection, it's pretty underrated IMO. I wish I could have actually seen the rich, romantic movie Jerry Goldsmith thought he was scoring with that one.

As usual, Nemesis is bottom of the barrel in everything.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paradoxish posted:

Uh, this is not really a good description of TOS.

It's not, but it's what a lot of people who missed the point of a show they didn't pay attention to thought about it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I've been on a soundtrack binge lately to provide myself with some Trek-ish ambiance for work. Have we ever ranked the soundtracks? I'm gonna.

1. TMP
2. TWOK
3. Insurrection
4. First Contact
5. Final Frontier
6. Generations
7. Undiscovered Country
8. Search for Spock
9. Voyage Home
10. Nemesis

That's my hot take on Insurrection, it's pretty underrated IMO. I wish I could have actually seen the rich, romantic movie Jerry Goldsmith thought he was scoring with that one.

As usual, Nemesis is bottom of the barrel in everything.

I'm about to go out to dinner so I'll have to start doing my own thinking on this but my immediate response to your list is a very large frown.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The best Star Trek soundtrack is that 6-hour loop of the TNG Enterprise's engine hum

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The best Star Trek soundtrack is that 6-hour loop of the TNG Enterprise's engine hum

1. TWOK
2. Search For Spock
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo
4. Everything else

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

the defiant's is better

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
That playlist lacks "The Ritual/Ancient Battle/Second Kroy'kah."

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Verviticus posted:

the defiant's is better

In college when I was having trouble sleeping, I'd put on the menu screen of the ds9 DVDs and listen to the Ops noise loop

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The First Contact theme is underrated

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Did any movie use the Amok Time battle theme? Because missed opportunity if not.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Did any movie use the Amok Time battle theme? Because missed opportunity if not.

Michael Giacchino said he put a few bars of it during the Spock vs. Khan fight in Into Darkness.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

MillennialVulcan posted:

In college when I was having trouble sleeping, I'd put on the menu screen of the ds9 DVDs and listen to the Ops noise loop

https://youtu.be/nQWW6ikPUq0

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah, the Cable Guy, Jim Carrey "sings" it using "bumm"s and "ee-yah"s while fighting with Matthew Broderick at Medieval Times and misquotes the episode.

Oh, you mean Star Trek movies?

(Off topic -- I've always loved the Cable Guy, which would have probably been received a lot better if it weren't so famous for Jim Carrey being the first actor paid $20MM or whatever for a movie.)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Admiralty Flag posted:

Yeah, the Cable Guy, Jim Carrey "sings" it using "bumm"s and "ee-yah"s while fighting with Matthew Broderick at Medieval Times and misquotes the episode.

Oh, you mean Star Trek movies?

(Off topic -- I've always loved the Cable Guy, which would have probably been received a lot better if it weren't so famous for Jim Carrey being the first actor paid $20MM or whatever for a movie.)

Recently I rewatched Amok Time and was primed for the lines Carrey uses, but do any of them get said at all? I don't think Spock says much of anything while they're down on the surface.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Drink-Mix Man posted:

1. TMP
2. TWOK
3. Insurrection
4. First Contact
5. Final Frontier
6. Generations
7. Undiscovered Country
8. Search for Spock
9. Voyage Home
10. Nemesis

Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Name the next Star Trek movie.

Star Trek: The Motion Pincher - Data goes haywire and starts pinching anything that moves.

Star Trek: The Wraith of Khan - Khan's ghost comes back to finally exact his revenge.