Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I Before E posted:

I believe you mean theatrically released comedy Isn't It Romantic

Every time I hear about that movie, I keep wondering if Leonard Maltin saw it, and if he said the same thing he did last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

I've heard the OneyPlays LP of Simpsons Hit and Run is really good, but I can't seem to find it, apart from a video they did on it with GameGrumps (unless that video is all they did).

its only gamegrumps.

adamcantsleep posted:

Heh. That said, if anything comes out about Travis, I will not be surprised.

Zach's made the only loving Trump jokes in history. His secret? He collected all 8 Tomar emeralds.

he gets trumps cadence and pacing down and such. he is honestly the only person who did trump that i laughed at.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 12, 2019

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

A few years ago Holly posted a video where she introduced all of her birds to fellow bird-lover, JonTron. So I guess the lesson is never trust someone with a bird.

Anyone have a good summary of what exactly has happened so far?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ariong posted:

A few years ago Holly posted a video where she introduced all of her birds to fellow bird-lover, JonTron. So I guess the lesson is never trust someone with a bird.

Only trust herpers not birders.

basicaly projared said he was getting a divorce and how it was sad and how no one should make rumors. then his ex wife said he blocked her and told everyone he had cheated and alot of other abusive poo poo. holly gets called out too. then everyone turns on projared as nudes appear and horror stories coming out.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

adamcantsleep posted:

Plus, tying it back to internet critic stuff, it was interesting that they had joked about bad critic content in a lot of their videos. Oney's somewhat loving jabs at the NC and his Linkara impression reached a frequency on Oneyplays that they inspired a whole (hilarious) compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6wEdIAaRjU

Thanks to watching this YouTube recs gave me this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uod_iO661PQ

:magical:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

basicaly projared said he was getting a divorce and how it was sad and how no one should make rumors. then his ex wife said he blocked her and told everyone he had cheated and alot of other abusive poo poo. holly gets called out too. then everyone turns on projared as nudes appear and horror stories coming out.

Underaged horror stories, to be precise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Underaged horror stories, to be precise.

It started off as regular horror stories, dick pics and general cheating with other women. Then came the allegations of grooming underage fans, and the latest is actual screenshots of chat logs from a (now/then?) 15-year-old girl who is currently trying to get the authorities involved without bringing her family into it.

Things are not going to end well for ProJared.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

adamcantsleep posted:

Interesting! Blue Monkey I've seen, but The Carpenter's brand new to me

Yeah, Wings Hauser is the titular character and the female lead seems aggressively disinterested at all times.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It started off as regular horror stories, dick pics and general cheating with other women. Then came the allegations of grooming underage fans, and the latest is actual screenshots of chat logs from a (now/then?) 15-year-old girl who is currently trying to get the authorities involved without bringing her family into it.

Holy poo poo!!!!!

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Trusting people associated with frogs sounds like a real fuckin bad idea

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

21 Muns posted:

Especially if you don't have frog insurance.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Trust no one.

But post pets anyway. That frog is hella cute.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

21 Muns posted:

Never trust a toady.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

21 Muns posted:

pepe/groyper fuckfaces are an insult to herpetology nerds. frogs are pretty innocent creatures maligned by chuds.

Puppy Time posted:

Trust no one.

But post pets anyway. That frog is hella cute.

yeah, thats either tubby or bleppo. there are 4 others along with him. they are good pets.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

yeah, he is hosed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Dom(inic Noble) put out his review of Wanted, and I'd forgotten how joyless and hateful the source material is. The movie just seems generically bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

The Dom(inic Noble) put out his review of Wanted, and I'd forgotten how joyless and hateful the source material is. The movie just seems generically bad.

i never read it. the core idea is interesting but its mostly edgy trash if i remember correctly and i am weirdo who likes poo poo like the darkness.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 12, 2019

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i never read it. the core idea is interesting but its mostly edgy trash if i remember correctly and i am weirdo who likes poo poo like the darkness.

That’s Mark Millar’s output in a nutshell.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

i kinda like kickass or at least the movie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Kick-rear end movie is a good deal less nihilistic and awful than the comic, from my understanding.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m not sure what the point of doing a Wanted adaptation was when it doesn’t use the same concept at all

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ariong posted:

-Jared posts a lovely announcement that he's divorcing his wife. He then blocks her so she can't respond to it, his goal is to make her sound crazy and get ahead of the game

-Holly Conrad, Ross's ex leaves a message *instantly* saying "I'll be here for you stay strong <3"

-Jared's wife Heidi reveals that she was blocked, had no idea what he was saying, and that she has had enough.

-Heidi then says Jared has been having sex with Holly for a long time and is a cheater, and a abuser. Says she has proof but doesn't post any of it.

-PeanutButterGamer (who) rushes in to defend Jared with posts equating to "you just posted cringe bro"

-Heidi then makes a call for other people to post horror stories of Jared, and people do. Dick pics, stories about him grooming minors etc surface.

-Game Grumps and a few other channels delete all ProJared Videos

-Holly calls Heidi a lying bitch and gets blown up instantly. Locks her twitter after making a post that basically confirms everything.

-Jared pretends nothing bad is going on still, PBG apologizes to Heidi saying he just didn't want to believe his friend was this terrible. Normal Boots, Jareds studio kicks him but their wording in their announcement make it sound like they've known about his poo poo for awhile and chose to do nothing.

-16 year old Trans victim comes out with a story about Jared coming after him. Gets collaborated on with proof from his friend who was also getting groomed- Jared was apparently telling people that him and Heidi were in a open relationship to get what he wanted

-Now a 15 year old was found to be on Jareds list, said person is now contacting the feds to get Jared arrested.

I think that's everything?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

I picked up Wanted and it was such tryhard poo poo that it actually turned me off comics in general for a bit. I'm reasonably sure that it got started with the whole "What if there was a golem made of the poo poo if actual serial killers???" and the rest was just edgy filler. I didn't even know who Millar was at the time.

Then years later at a store I opened a random issue and it was about some edgy antihero who kidnapped the son and daughter of his normie enemy and used the son's sperm to impregnate the daughter and also rigged a bomb in her womb if they tried to abort it, and I just looked at the author's name, laughed and put it down like it was made of poison ivy.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Wanted is all like curved bullets and slow motion gently caress YOU keyboards like the last dregs of the Matrix and also gently caress Jared, the summary of the happenings make me hope further for endless pain coming his way

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I kind of like birds (in the wild, and seeing other people's pet birrds; I don't want to have any of my own), and yet I've managed to both not have sex with ProJared and not make friends with JonTron. :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sephyr posted:

Then years later at a store I opened a random issue and it was about some edgy antihero who kidnapped the son and daughter of his normie enemy and used the son's sperm to impregnate the daughter and also rigged a bomb in her womb if they tried to abort it, and I just looked at the author's name, laughed and put it down like it was made of poison ivy.

That's Nemesis, which is bad but still not as bad as The Unfunnies which Millar tries to pretend doesn't exist.

What's funny is that the stuff people criticised about Kingsman was entirely an invention of the movie, with Millar's book being noticeably tamer.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Arist posted:

The Kick-rear end movie is a good deal less nihilistic and awful than the comic, from my understanding.
The movie imo is even worse because it takes Kick-rear end' side. In the comic his Nice Guy crap toward the love interest gets him rightfully beat up by her boyfriend and humiliated by her. In the movie it gets him the girl. The heroes in the comic (first run at least) are all portrayed as broken people in a broken world, whereas the movie paints them as, well, heroic.
It's nihilistic and awful but that's what it wants to be. It doesn't want to be Sam Raimi's Spider-Man at the same time.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's Nemesis, which is bad but still not as bad as The Unfunnies which Millar tries to pretend doesn't exist.

I remember looking both those up when Linkara mentioned them in one of his reviews, and the summaries were just :gonk:.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

The movie imo is even worse because it takes Kick-rear end' side. In the comic his Nice Guy crap toward the love interest gets him rightfully beat up by her boyfriend and humiliated by her. In the movie it gets him the girl. The heroes in the comic (first run at least) are all portrayed as broken people in a broken world, whereas the movie paints them as, well, heroic.
It's nihilistic and awful but that's what it wants to be. It doesn't want to be Sam Raimi's Spider-Man at the same time.

The film really struggles with an identity crisis, and ends up trying to have it both ways, to it's own detriment. Like, it spends the first half making GBS threads on Spider-Man, and then totally embraces it at the 2/3 point, compromising it's own identity.

The less said about the sequel, the better.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I Before E posted:

I believe you mean theatrically released comedy Isn't It Romantic

I think it went straight to Netflix in Europe.

Vagabundo posted:

The less said about the sequel, the better.

No please lets talk more about the spectacular disaster that was Kick-rear end 2.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I remember looking both those up when Linkara mentioned them in one of his reviews, and the summaries were just :gonk:.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding.

Millar feels like he never got past that 17-year-old grimdork phase. "Like, what if Superman had to recharge his powers by raping nuns? And a big meteor was coming toward Earth? Or, or, maybe there's this universe in which all villains were hero sidekicks that got sexually abused and now they are coming back to do Jigsaw-style traps for their former mentors! This is the real poo poo we're talking about here, man!" It just tires me out instantly, and always has.

I like lots of Garth Ennis' stuff, while gladly admitting he can be quite poo poo. But most of his work, silly or edgelord as it can be, has heart. Even Crossed, which bummed me out a fair bit after reading it, had some genuinely touching moments. And his arc about sex traffickers in his Punisher run, while relentlessly grim, actual pathos behind it, showed research on the subject and never once cheapened it, which was impressive given the genre. The closing words from that series never fail to send a shiver down my spine.

Actual talented people can slip, but when they are good, they are very good. Dumb jokes like Millar are usually trite and sleazy, and even when they manage to keep from being their poo poo selves, they barely manage to reach mediocre status.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Mark Millar is proof that nobody ever went bankrupt underestimating the intelligence and moral judgment of the comic-buying public.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
you can't convince me that millar didn't steal the script of superman red son from grant morrison

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Solitair posted:

you can't convince me that millar didn't steal the script of superman red son from grant morrison

grant morrison has said in interviews that he pitched the idea of red son to millar because the two were friends

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm confused because it looked like his new vid was dunking on a nobody and I am not seeing what you saw about being parasocial and so on
It's the way he speaks about the whole thing. Like he's an authority on everything because of his tangential past connections to anyone actually involved. I might be overreacting but if you can't see how that "Tamara was being mean to me a paying fan!" comment that he also waved around in his former video isn't weird and creepy as hell I don't know what to tell you.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never read the Boys because the artwork looked atrocious and the tone was off-putting, but I did enjoy Ennis' Punisher Max series. Anything that flings venom at the irish-american support of the IRA wins points for me.

What has Millar done except make short comics as fodder for movies?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kick rear end 2 was so tucking terrible.
Like 1 is flawed as hell but Nic Cage sold it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The talk about Wanted earlier made me realize Danny Elfman recycled the theme he and Russel Shaw made for the first Fable Game and tweaked it to make the Wanted main theme.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

-PeanutButterGamer (who) rushes in to defend Jared with posts equating to "you just posted cringe bro"

-Game Grumps and a few other channels delete all ProJared Videos

-Jared pretends nothing bad is going on still, PBG apologizes to Heidi saying he just didn't want to believe his friend was this terrible. Normal Boots, Jareds studio kicks him but their wording in their announcement make it sound like they've known about his poo poo for awhile and chose to do nothing.

I think that's everything?

I think these three points need correcting.

- PBG and Furst, another NB person, were both defending Jared at first. After some time they apologized. Apparently they didn't know and only had Jared's (duplicitous) side of the story.

- GG was deleting Jared videos apparently as early as the beginning of April, which lines up with the time NormalBoots received their anonymous letter. Since GG didn't employ Jared, I assume they didn't feel the need to do an investigation.

- NB's statement reads like only the head manager, the law team, and Jared himself knew about the anonymous tip they got in early April. NB was doing an investigation and preparing to sever with Jared anyway (obviously that could be a feint, but it would be a pretty bad one and easily refutable).

That said, if Jared knew about the allegation why would he post the original tweet about his divorce? What a loving idiot. I wish I had half as many viewers as he threw away by being a pedophile shitbag.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Little Mac posted:

That said, if Jared knew about the allegation why would he post the original tweet about his divorce? What a loving idiot. I wish I had half as many viewers as he threw away by being a pedophile shitbag.

He's an egocentric moron who thought he could get away with it by presenting himself as the better man if he got ahead of things coming out and controlled the narrative.

And then Heidi nuked that little scheme into the ground. It wouldn't have worked anyway, but it probably kicked off a lot faster and a lot bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He's an egocentric moron who thought he could get away with it by presenting himself as the better man if he got ahead of things coming out and controlled the narrative.

And then Heidi nuked that little scheme into the ground. It wouldn't have worked anyway, but it probably kicked off a lot faster and a lot bigger.

I got the impression that Heidi wouldn't have even cared if it wasn't for Holly responding right after Jared about being there for him. The whole thing between those two making public statements seemed to have been planned making it even more hilarious. Holly is a big streamer as well but threw all of that away by opening her mouth when she didn't have to.