Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Zirconium Joe strikes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm going to start reading every Biden quote in a Joe Quimby voice.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EBB posted:

Vote Quimby!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

BigDave posted:

Vote Quimby!

If you were running for Mayor he'd vote for you

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nick Soapdish posted:

If you were running for Mayor he'd vote for you

We wouldn't have a tire yard or a midsize roller rink.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

EBB posted:

I’m stuck between this and a mix of Dr Nick and Troy McClure.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/bobby/status/1127314834385788929

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Oh my god

They have sent a poet.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I like how every time I see it reposted it's picked up 500+ likes in the meantime. I saw it in CSPAM like, barely an hour ago.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

jesus christ

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Army Major turned regional airline pilot arrested for a triple homicide:

https://www.wdrb.com/news/update-am...d5311b436d.html

ABC news said he had been court-martialed for domestic violence while he was in.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
World needs more guys like this

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/10/yvon-chouinard-patagonia-founder-denying-climate-change-is-evil

quote:

Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard: ‘Denying climate change is evil’

The octogenarian entrepreneur, who prefers gardening to meetings, says capitalism is destroying earth

In his bridge-club cords and grandpa shoes, 80-year-old Yvon Chouinard doesn’t look the rock-star entrepreneur.

And, when he speaks, he doesn’t sound much like one either. The founder of US outdoor apparel brand Patagonia believes stock market valuations are “absurd”, investing in shares is “buying blue sky” – and modern-day capitalism is destroying the planet.

“I’d like to see an end to public corporations because we’re not going to revolutionise them, we’re not going to change them,” the self-confessed reluctant businessman told the Guardian.

It is easy to dismiss such comments as sour grapes or market envy. As a private company (Chouinard remains sole owner), Patagonia lacks the investment clout of Nike or The North Face.

Not that that has necessarily restricted the plucky Californian brand, which posted sales revenues of more than $1bn last year.

A soft-spoken former climber hailed by some as the Steve Jobs of eco-conscious commerce, Chouinard is not your usual businessman. Based in the small Californian town of Ventura, he eschews publicity and prefers gardening to board meetings. He set up his first company – a small climbing equipment firm – more than 50 years ago only because no one was selling the kind of pitons he wanted.

In 1973, he established Patagonia to help finance the low-margin equipment firm. Despite Patagonia’s exponential growth, Chouinard insists his company has sought to remain true to its eco-conscious origins. He cites the brand’s decision to use 100% organic cotton in its garments and to donate 10% of its profits (or 1% of sales – whichever is greater) to environmental charities by way of example.

Patagonia is far from perfect, however. By his own admission, the idea of a fully sustainable business or product is impossible: “There is no such thing as sustainability. The best we can do is cause the least amount of harm.”

Instead of “sustainable”, he prefers the term “responsible”, which, he argues, starts with companies treating nature not as a resource to be exploited but as a unique, life-giving entity on which we all – not least business – depend.

Chouinard may have his acolytes among eco-conscious consumers, but he doubts mainstream companies are listening to his reforming message. “I used to think that if we could show that being a responsible business is good business, then others would follow. And some do, but they’re tiny little companies. But the public companies, they’re all green-washing. I have no hope that they’re going to change.”

Nor does he hold out much hope for government to force big business to act more responsibly. Politicians are “pawns of corporations” says the man who, together with a coalition of indigenous North American tribes and grassroots groups, is currently suing the Trump administration for attempts to reduce the size of ancestral lands in Utah.

Our best hope for change lies with consumers, Chouinard maintains: “You’ve got to change the consumers first and then the corporations will follow and then government will follow the corporations. They [governments] are last in line.”

Hence, his recent appearance in New York, where Patagonia was premiering a new documentary at the Tribeca film festival about the dangers to wild salmon of fish hatcheries and open-net fish farms.

The film, entitled Artifishal, is intentionally provocative, Chouinard admits. “People don’t read any more and they make decisions based on emotions, so I think film is the best way to elicit people’s emotions.”

Eliciting consumers’ emotions is not without its risks, of course. One of the chief beneficiaries of salmon hatcheries are recreational anglers, a key consumer group for Patagonia. Chouinard says he couldn’t care less: if he loses business, so be it.

“I absolutely don’t believe in doing … focus groups and all that poo poo. Proctor and Gamble-style, no risk. Just do it,” he says.

The same thinking lay behind his decision in 2011 to run an ad campaign on Black Friday, the busiest day in the US retail calendar, with the tagline: ‘Don’t Buy This Jacket’.

On that occasion, the risk paid off: Patagonia gained 600,000 new customers and year-on-year sales quadrupled.

But 50 years of activism has seen Chouinard lose as many battles as he has won; high-profile campaigns against ocean pollution and genetically modified food are two notable cases in point.

Failure, fortunately, doesn’t seem to dishearten him. “If you expect victories, then you’re in the wrong business. Evil never stops. And it’s just a matter of endless fighting … the fight is the important thing.”

For all his talk of evil, it would be tempting to think Chouinard was religious. He is not. The money that is being spent on going to Mars “to see if God is up there”, he jokes, would be better spent on “doing some actual good”.

As he enters his ninth decade, the appetite of this business pioneer to disrupt the status quo appears to be growing, not shrinking.

Sparking his radicalism is the election of populist leaders, such as the US’s Donald Trump and Brazil’s Jair Bolsonaro, whom he accuses of riding roughshod over nature. More important still is the looming threat of climate change and massive species loss. As he told the audience at Tribeca: “The polar bear is toast.”

It’s time for brands to become more vocally political, he argues. Consumers, especially among the young, increasingly expect their favourite brands to speak out, he says.

Chouinard, for one, leaves little doubt where his politics lie. When President Trump announced his decision to slash corporate taxes, for example, Patagonia announced it would give away the money saved.

That added another $10m to its charitable outgoings, bringing to $105m (£80m) the total lifetime amount donated to environmental causes.

Chouinard sees it as an act of “karma”: “After all, we don’t need it, we’re debt-free.”

Similarly, plans are afoot to jazz up Patagonia’s political advertising. Rather than just call on the US public to vote for the environment, it now intends to specifically endorse pro-conservation candidates, says Chouinard.

“We simply can’t pussyfoot around anymore. We have to just say, you know, this administration is evil and anybody who is denying climate change is evil.”

Such moves will provoke controversy without doubt. Not that Chouinard cares. As he likes to advise graduating students, life is easier if you break the rules rather than conform to them.

“Invent your own game and that way you can always be a winner.”

Eej fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 12, 2019

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m stuck between this and a mix of Dr Nick and Troy McClure.

Troy is Buttgieg in my brain.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Eagerly awaiting the chuds rushing to buy their products so they can burn them.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Eagerly awaiting the chuds rushing to buy their products so they can burn them.

isnt patagonia stuff super expensive?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Compared to designer/grailed/YLLS poo poo? No. Compared to what I'm willing to pay? Yes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Not as expensive as 9 Line Apparel.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

psydude posted:

Not as expensive as 9 Line Apparel.

official veteran gear for patriots made by patriotic veterans demands a lot of money

edit: wow their website looks like a big dog tshirt thing, "nike" swishes that say "Just Stand" lmao

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Not emptyquoting.

Not sure which is a better joke, this or the thread title.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

There's a reason the nickname is patagucci

You buy their poo poo for the quality and the service. You can exchange or replace gear no questions asked if theres a problem, even a decade down the line.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Patagonia stuff is pricy compared to mass-market outerwear like you’d find at Walmart or Dick’s or whatever, but compared to their actual competitors in the industry like Columbia and North Face and Arcteryx etc they’re about even. They’re also pretty durable and they’ve been making a huge push lately to have everything be sustainably sourced. A lot of their plastics in the jackets and stuff are recycled at this point.

So yeah if you just want a warm jacket to wear while running errands they’re gonna be expensive for that and way overkill, but as actual outdoors wear Patagonia is good people IMO

Patagonia also put a lot of money and visibility into the fight to preserve Bear Ears Monument and the other public lands stuff the Trump admin has been selling off.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

Patagonia stuff is pricy compared to mass-market outerwear like you’d find at Walmart or Dick’s or whatever, but compared to their actual competitors in the industry like Columbia and North Face and Arcteryx etc they’re about even. They’re also pretty durable and they’ve been making a huge push lately to have everything be sustainably sourced. A lot of their plastics in the jackets and stuff are recycled at this point.

So yeah if you just want a warm jacket to wear while running errands they’re gonna be expensive for that and way overkill, but as actual outdoors wear Patagonia is good people IMO

Patagonia also put a lot of money and visibility into the fight to preserve Bear Ears Monument and the other public lands stuff the Trump admin has been selling off.

Weirdly kinda off message they also contract to make almost all of SOCOMs fancy gear.

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013
Columbia outerwear is garbage tier these days.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have a Marmot goretex jacket and a Columbia windbreaker. The Columbia one is ok, but it only cost 40 bucks at Dick's because someone put it in the clearance rack by mistake.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Only Patagonia thing I own is a backpack, that the VA reimbursed me for, and it's still in great shape eight years later.

Infinitely better quality than this lovely Armageddon bag I got from Savage on a rebate.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I haven't paid for a bag since I enlisted, so I'm honestly dreading it when I get out. I don't want to spend money needlessly, but I also don't want to be that douche vet who goes to college with camouflage bags.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just get a bag that's black. Any of the really high quality bags will always have a black option in addition to the six different military patterns or colors.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Arc Light posted:

I haven't paid for a bag since I enlisted, so I'm honestly dreading it when I get out. I don't want to spend money needlessly, but I also don't want to be that douche vet who goes to college with camouflage bags.

Take a look at Timbuk2. Find a couple styles you like, and wishlist them on Amazon, they change colors regularly, so you can get their bags marked down pretty significantly if you are patient, usually in pretty normal colors too.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Vasudus posted:

Just get a bag that's black. Any of the really high quality bags will always have a black option in addition to the six different military patterns or colors.

This; black looks good and is compliant with most if not all uniforms (at least for the Air Force).

Just lmao if you have an ABU pattern camo backpack; that stuff doesn't even look good and I knew as we were transitioning to them that we'd be in a new pattern within a few years.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 12, 2019

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I have a Timbuk2 from 1999 and it is just now starting to show significant signs if wear and tear

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I use a canvas shoulder bag/satchel/man purse because a backpack will make my back sweat when I walk to work. Paid $35 for it and it's great.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BadOptics posted:

This; black looks good and is compliant with most if not all uniforms (at least for the Air Force).

Just lmao if you have an ABU pattern camo backpack; that stuff doesn't even look good and I knew as we were transitioning to them that we'd be in a new pattern within a few years.

I'm still holding onto my APECS in hopes that someone'll figure out a good way to dye it without ruining it. I hit google up about once a year. Great jacket, but gently caress you if I'm ever putting that garbage pattern on again. I'm glad the AF is switching to the same uniform as the Army and Russians.

Also, there are people who collect the Oakley stuff. I ran into a guy at the airport last month who questioned me about my backpack; he's got a couple dozen Oakley bags because he started collecting them when he was in the Army and he thought he had all of them. He started the conversation with "What year is your bag?" which was odd.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My black tactical tailor day bag is still in great shape and is nearly 10 years old. Use it almost daily.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Any of the Patagonia black hole bags will last until the heat death of the universe, they are loving tough.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
The only good bag is a sea-bag, for throwing in the garbage.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

There's a reason the nickname is patagucci

You buy their poo poo for the quality and the service. You can exchange or replace gear no questions asked if theres a problem, even a decade down the line.

I’ve got a fair amount of Patagonia stuff, imo it’s worth the prices I’ve paid. Good product, good company.

Re: bags I’ve had a Timbuk2 messenger bag since the mid 2000s. Super solid bag even though I haven’t used it much in the last couple years. I’ve had a Patagonia retro style backpack I used for school and travel that’s held up really well.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 12, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smiling Jack posted:

I have a Timbuk2 from 1999 and it is just now starting to show significant signs if wear and tear

I have one (I think the model is Swig? Has a bottle opener on the strap) from idk maybe 2009-2010ish and it looks as new as the day I bought it. Fuckers are tough as nails.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I have a Rogue bag from timbuk2 and it’s been going strong for 5+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I travel for business and good travel gear is a great investment. I highly reccomend Tumi if you can swing the price, if not Timbuk2 is probably the best mid level option. Both are very high quality and can take a solid beating. I wouldn't ruck/hike/camp with it, but I've taken approx 80ish flights in the year or so and my Tumi stuff is still flawless.

Both are designed for high volume business travelers and will hold up to college poo poo as well and will allow you to look like a professional and not a student.

My only specific guidance would be to go with a laptop backpack bc it can double as an overnight bag in a pinch. My only regret is buying the Tumi laptop briefcase/messenger bag instead of the backpack.

E: black Friday is a great tumi day they usually discount to not insane pricing. I will probably pick up a backpack this year. Timbuk2 used to have fairly frequent web based sales