Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blind Rasputin posted:

This can’t be real right?

I work on drones for fun and am a software/hardware engineer and I could make these work most likely. They might accidentally kill children but hey can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

soy posted:

I work on drones for fun and am a software/hardware engineer and I could make these work most likely. They might accidentally kill children but hey can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs right?

How are you getting that much computational power onto something that weighs 100 grams and doesn't bomb a bright spot reflected off the soldier that launched it half the time.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

soy posted:

can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs right?

unrelated to your post in general, fuuuck I hate that phrase. It's almost always just used as a way to either excuse something terrible or a lovely process.

"Uh, you did remove the tree stump, but also the transmission is blown out on the truck."

an idiot: OMELETTE EGGS MOTHERFUCKER VROOM VROOM

"Wow, you beat the poo poo out of a literal child to find out who took your $1."

OMELETTE EGGS!

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Syncopated posted:

how would it be possible to find a better clip than this though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwO5rnJvzT4

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hexyflexy posted:

At least it isn't MARPAT or other digital camo, everyone wearing that stuff shows up like a loving beacon after a bit of image processing.

How/why does that work?

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Hexyflexy posted:

How are you getting that much computational power onto something that weighs 100 grams and doesn't bomb a bright spot reflected off the soldier that launched it half the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hornet_Nano
This thing is only 16g and is already in use. Face/head tracking is so basic that its built in to even simple cameras, it doesn't take powerful computers. Or really chips today are just powerful. Combine them with a little bang and the job's done.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hexyflexy posted:

How much processing power is in a modern phone? How much do you think that weighs without a case/screen/battery?

aphid_licker posted:

How/why does that work?
computers are very, very good at pattern recognition, and also computer vision is a thing.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It’s gonna be real awkward for the first few minutes of the next world war when every side shows up to fight in Multicam.

Russian, German, American, Finn, Brit, Australian, Polish, Canadian, Peshmerga.

Pepperridge remembers when different teams had different color jerseys.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

computers are very, very good at pattern recognition, and also computer vision is a thing.

So they pick typical pixel configurations of marpat out of the general mess of pixels of the picture? That is nuts.

e: wouldn't that also work with Multicam? That should also be a repeating pattern, can't imagine they randomize every dot.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 12, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Vahakyla posted:

Russian, German, American, Finn, Brit, Australian, Polish, Canadian, Peshmerga.

“Aw jeeze, this is awkward. Well, at least ONE of us has to go home and change...”

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hexyflexy posted:

As said above, computation is actually extremely minimal for this sort of thing. Plus I’d probably secretly send all operators preferences to /dev/null and just make it kill any vaguely human shaped target.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

aphid_licker posted:

So they pick typical pixel configurations of marpat out of the general mess of pixels of the picture? That is nuts.

e: wouldn't that also work with Multicam? That should also be a repeating pattern, can't imagine they randomize every dot.

Couple of false colour filters, then you run the same algorithm Goatskcd used and boom, you’re almost there.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
In the future this will be the only two viable camouflage patterns

and

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

https://youtu.be/XCG_ETMZvyg

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hexyflexy posted:

Any flagship smartphone from the last 4 years would be overkill, then consider the weight savings from ditching the case, screen, and battery beyond what's needed for 5-10 minutes.

Flying facial recognition mines are absolutely 100% coming within a decade.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The real fun poo poo will be when someone realizes that one-shot kinetic weapons are inefficient, they write visual targeting software to avoid armor and clothing, and start playing with chemical or energy payloads.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Who would’ve imagined that the future was going to be that one Tom Selleck movie with gene Simmons in it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scratch Monkey posted:

In the future this will be the only two viable camouflage patterns

and

Hell yeah

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

Any flagship smartphone from the last 4 years would be overkill, then consider the weight savings from ditching the case, screen, and battery beyond what's needed for 5-10 minutes.

Flying facial recognition mines are absolutely 100% coming within a decade.

I remember some political person was already almost murdered by a remote control bomb drone or something not too long ago.

I think building deathbots on the micro-quad scale would be pretty doable, on the mini-quad or above scale it would be virtually trivial. My mini can fly for 4-5 minutes flat out going 80+ mph and I strap a gopro to it, putting an enhanced compute payload on it + bomb would be no problem at all.

MIT and whatever robot dorks in highschools already have the whole self navigation thing pretty much perfected at that scale.

soy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 13, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Irrt-9h4U

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

soy posted:

MIT and whatever robot dorks in highschools already have the whole self navigation thing pretty much perfected at that scale.
Any aircraft above the 100g scale can already carry a flight controller that's totally user-programmable for mission planning. It'd be absolutely trivial for anyone with a CS degree to add computer vision so they can tell it "go loiter over there and fly into the first thing you see that looks like a live human".

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

soy posted:

I remember some political person was already almost murdered by a remote control bomb drone or something not too long ago.

Maduro.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evil_bunnY posted:

Any aircraft above the 100g scale can already carry a flight controller that's totally user-programmable for mission planning. It'd be absolutely trivial for anyone with a CS degree to add computer vision so they can tell it "go loiter over there and fly into the first thing you see that looks like a live human".

I could probably get it working and the only degree I have is in googling stackoverflow

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The only real question is does the tiny assassin drone destroy itself or just deliver a payload and get reused.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Can't wait for manhacks to be as annoying irl as they are in half life 2.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Human-hunting murder machines developed in the US will be the first face/skin recognition tech geek invention where they make sure it can properly “work” for people of color.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

mlmp08 posted:

Human-hunting murder machines developed in the US will be the first face/skin recognition tech geek invention where they make sure it can properly “work” for people of color.

drat

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mlmp08 posted:

Probably better at telling PoC apart than most white people

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Speleothing posted:

The only real question is does the tiny assassin drone destroy itself or just deliver a payload and get reused.
It doesn't matter when they're ~$100 to make

mlmp08 posted:

yeah one million percent

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Syncopated posted:

Can't wait for manhacks to be as annoying irl as they are in half life 2.

I just saw a trailer for something on Netflix where manhacks are the main plot point. Buildings had giant wrought iron cages for people to flee into when the blades of death come.

Can't remember what it was though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Probably better at telling PoC apart than most white people

Telling, tearing, who's to say

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evil_bunnY posted:

It doesn't matter when they're ~$100 to make

as a military contractor I'll charge the military $10,000 per but they'll still throw them around like they cost $100

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1128285764742189056

Check your bingo card for different camo patterns and surplus US military gear from the early-mid 2000s.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/N_Waters89/status/1126470214151962625

Apparently the sword hellfire can hit a car without damaging the engine or the contents of the trunk.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/N_Waters89/status/1126470214151962625

Apparently the sword hellfire can hit a car without damaging the engine or the contents of the trunk.

As long as it doesn't do water damage it won't hurt the resale value too much.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
I would bet blood gets into all sorts of places though

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Probably get an awful shock when they turn on the air conditioning.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Advertise it as having a sunroof. Also previously owned by a person famous in DC circuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
No tire kickers, I know what I got!!