Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

My assumption would be that Jared (and probably Holly) bought the hype of his reputation and assumed that more followers = more loved so therefore he'd be able to coast the same way he has before. It's actually pretty heartening that we're at a point in our culture that "he cheated and lied" was enough to lose him a shitload of subs, even before the rest of the poo poo torpedoed him.

It's definitely worth noting that it's not really productive to approach these situations with the assumption that people are doing anything logically; if someone were logical, they probably wouldn't be in the situation in the first place. Cheating and abuse are very emotional actions, and generally are the sign of someone with problems with emotional regulation. Their actions won't make sense to someone with better emotional health, because emotionally healthy people generally don't feel the need to cheat and abuse. It's kind of the same thing as asking a depressed person, "Why don't you just cheer up?"- if that were an option to their brain, they wouldn't have gotten that far in the first place.

(Which is not to say that abusers shouldn't be condemned; whatever the motivation, they still at the very least should not continue to be in positions of power for obvious reasons. It's just a really lovely situation all around, and not one that's easily dealt with.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

We need to stop talking about PROJARED and start talking about PRO DOOM 2, a new video from Civvie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sephyr posted:

Actual talented people can slip, but when they are good, they are very good. Dumb jokes like Millar are usually trite and sleazy, and even when they manage to keep from being their poo poo selves, they barely manage to reach mediocre status.

They both have this thing where it gets super uncomfortable that these two white dudes enjoy writing racial epithets in their stuff, but it's justified because it's edgy or whatever.

I remember Millar bald-faced lying that the movie version of Wanted is what he wanted to do all along, which is stupid because if he wanted a generic assassination society or whatever he'd do that in the first place. Then I found out Millar just kind of lies a lot.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I never read the Boys because the artwork looked atrocious and the tone was off-putting, but I did enjoy Ennis' Punisher Max series. Anything that flings venom at the irish-american support of the IRA wins points for me.

What has Millar done except make short comics as fodder for movies?

Well, he got a lot of goodwill for writing Superman Adventures, based off the Dini/Timm comic which were in fact very good. That said some folks think they were at the least co-written by Grant Morrison. Millar followed Warren Ellis on The Authority, which was the first time people got to see him being edgelord. He went on to be a big player in Marvel's Ultimates line, with Ultimates and X-Men (both of which were well-regarded at the time but do not hold up at all save art-wise) and then got enough cred to do whatever he wanted like Wanted, Kick-rear end and The Unfunnies.

He wants you to forget that last one, like somebody upthread said, but always remember.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I said come in! posted:

I got the impression that Heidi wouldn't have even cared if it wasn't for Holly responding right after Jared about being there for him. The whole thing between those two making public statements seemed to have been planned making it even more hilarious. Holly is a big streamer as well but threw all of that away by opening her mouth when she didn't have to.

It sucks for all the content creators that are now also caught up in the crossfire of this. Ross is obviously affected by it, he tweeted very briefly about it. The Grumps have to remove any of the videos with Jared in them (Holly videos are a little harder because she's in a lot more videos), Jirard I think basically runs Normal Boots or is at least high up in it, so he and the rest of the crew have to deal with that. Anna Prosser and Nathan Sharp are now either gonna have to end their DND show or find replacements now because they can't have Jared or Holly on there. There's a handful of other streams and youtubers this ends up affecting too.

Jared is stupid in a thousand ways here, but man was that a boneheaded move by Holly make that tweet.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
What's the consensus on Jame's Gunn's Super? Iirc a lot of reviews at the time complained that it felt 'mean spirited' towards it's audience but if anything I thought the ending was a lot more upbeat than what the film felt like it was headed towards. Looking back I'm not sure its a very sensitive representation of mental illness but it did a fine job of deconstructing superhero power fantasy at least?

loving wild movie to precede directing Guardians tho.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I haven't seen it in years but even at the time certain stuff about it was a big oof.

Very interesting movie worth a watch unless but can have some triggers in it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

Holly is a big streamer as well but threw all of that away by opening her mouth when she didn't have to.

she sure did

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

-Jared posts a lovely announcement that he's divorcing his wife. He then blocks her so she can't respond to it, his goal is to make her sound crazy and get ahead of the game

-Holly Conrad, Ross's ex leaves a message *instantly* saying "I'll be here for you stay strong <3"

-Jared's wife Heidi reveals that she was blocked, had no idea what he was saying, and that she has had enough.

-Heidi then says Jared has been having sex with Holly for a long time and is a cheater, and a abuser. Says she has proof but doesn't post any of it.

-PeanutButterGamer (who) rushes in to defend Jared with posts equating to "you just posted cringe bro"

-Heidi then makes a call for other people to post horror stories of Jared, and people do. Dick pics, stories about him grooming minors etc surface.

-Game Grumps and a few other channels delete all ProJared Videos

-Holly calls Heidi a lying bitch and gets blown up instantly. Locks her twitter after making a post that basically confirms everything.

-Jared pretends nothing bad is going on still, PBG apologizes to Heidi saying he just didn't want to believe his friend was this terrible. Normal Boots, Jareds studio kicks him but their wording in their announcement make it sound like they've known about his poo poo for awhile and chose to do nothing.

-16 year old Trans victim comes out with a story about Jared coming after him. Gets collaborated on with proof from his friend who was also getting groomed- Jared was apparently telling people that him and Heidi were in a open relationship to get what he wanted

-Now a 15 year old was found to be on Jareds list, said person is now contacting the feds to get Jared arrested.

I think that's everything?

I didnt hear about holly attacking heidi. last thing i heard is she may have helped jared find victims too. assholes both of them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I got the impression that Heidi wouldn't have even cared if it wasn't for Holly responding right after Jared about being there for him. The whole thing between those two making public statements seemed to have been planned making it even more hilarious. Holly is a big streamer as well but threw all of that away by opening her mouth when she didn't have to.

I think holly was gonna feel the heat from this sooner or later, but she hosed up by attacking people. she might survive longer then projareds career but i am not sure.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 12, 2019

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I refuse to engage my old videos from loving 2009 because I don't wanna melt through the floor in case I call something retarded but I guess I should be thankful I didn't trip over a gamecube controller cord and land on pedophile abuser or neonazi.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think holly was gonna feel the heat from this sooner or later, but she hosed up by attacking people. she might survive longer then projareds career but i am not sure.

I think Holly's gonna get some real heat just from inquiries about how much of this poo poo she knew about or was complicit in.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

I never read the Boys because the artwork looked atrocious and the tone was off-putting, but I did enjoy Ennis' Punisher Max series. Anything that flings venom at the irish-american support of the IRA wins points for me.

What has Millar done except make short comics as fodder for movies?

I don't blame you, but I ended up reading it all on a subscription service one week and it gets a lot better after the fourth volume or so.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's Nemesis, which is bad but still not as bad as The Unfunnies which Millar tries to pretend doesn't exist.

What's funny is that the stuff people criticised about Kingsman was entirely an invention of the movie, with Millar's book being noticeably tamer.

Alright I've gotta step in here, The Unfunnies is the absolute worst loving comic I have ever read in my life and I've been wanting to do a video essay picking it apart and screaming at Millar for making it exist for a couple years now

TheMonkRocks45
Apr 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
And of course, his content was "reviewing other reviewers" which is kind of a sticky wicket seeing as...well, his vids weren't exactly that good in the grand scheme of things. I mean sure they may have been good compared to the vids of "PissedOffVideoGameRager6969" but that's not a high bar
[/quote]

Funny enough, Asaleri is now a furry. (Seriously look at his latest YouTube videos and it is shocking).

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Alright I've gotta step in here, The Unfunnies is the absolute worst loving comic I have ever read in my life and I've been wanting to do a video essay picking it apart and screaming at Millar for making it exist for a couple years now

If a comic can make Mark Millar of all people ashamed of its existence, I'm almost curious.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It blew my mind that a comic like the unfunnies would use awful GIS photographs. The comic is offensive before you get to the paedophilia/abortion/prison-rape.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think Holly's gonna get some real heat just from inquiries about how much of this poo poo she knew about or was complicit in.

i am unsure how much she knew. i wouldnt surprise me if she knew and helped him.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

idk crossed/or whatever its called, exists.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm surprised we haven't seen more videos on it. Of course that entails reading it, which I can't really support.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mr Phillby posted:

What's the consensus on Jame's Gunn's Super? Iirc a lot of reviews at the time complained that it felt 'mean spirited' towards it's audience but if anything I thought the ending was a lot more upbeat than what the film felt like it was headed towards. Looking back I'm not sure its a very sensitive representation of mental illness but it did a fine job of deconstructing superhero power fantasy at least?

loving wild movie to precede directing Guardians tho.

It’s loving up in every way and I love every second. It makes me cry. It just ends on such a oddly sweet note that doesn’t really absolve frank, but it does show that something good can come from compete horror and violence.

I dunno I love the ending a whole lot.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk crossed/or whatever its called, exists.

I'm not a huge fan of Crossed, but I don't hate it to nearly the extent that I hate The Unfunnies. I specifically think the first run by Ennis is actually pretty okay for what it is (it's supposed to be unrelenting brutality so I can't really dock it for that), and Crossed+100 is just a straight up loving good comic.

The closest comparison I can give for The Unfunnies is, it's like how Roger Ebert saw that movie Clifford, with Martin Short playing a kid. Clifford's attempting to go for comedy, but Ebert wasn't laughing; everything about the movie from its basic premise up just unsettled the living gently caress out of him. The Unfunnies is similar. I'm clearly supposed to be laughing at everything that happens, but... well, the title's accurate: it's not funny. It's just horrifying, and the fact that it exists makes me think there is something seriously, genuinely wrong with Mark Millar.

e: Like, whenever Millar does talk about it, he tries to claim it's a horror comic... and I think that's just a backpedal. Everything about it is very loving bluntly meant to be taken as black comedy, similar to something like Happy Tree Friends or Wonder Showzen that similarly injects bizarre horror elements into a kid-aesthetic framework. Millar just doesn't have any loving clue what a joke is, so it works out as a bunch of horrifying poo poo happening to cute cartoon characters for no reason beyond, quite literally (as in this is an actual plot point from the comic), their author being a sick gently caress who draws power from their suffering.

e2: And yes, you're reading that right, the comic eventually turns out to be basically Edgy Duck Amuck but with a serial killer instead of Bugs Bunny and that has got to be Millar's subconscious telling him he was making something ballfuckingly terrible

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 13, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also worth noting: Millar's wife apparently reads a large chunk of what he writes, and she loving threw The Unfunnies at him.

Keep in mind this is someone who tolerates Mark Millar to the extent of marrying him, and that (surprisingly) her throwing one of his works at him is a somewhat rare occurrence. The Unfunnies was bad enough that it left her genuinely pretty shook about her husband's mental state, and angry that he would even be capable of writing it.

That's how you know you're not dealing with a regular bad comic, but rather, a loving Hellmouth that someone managed to compress into paper form.

e: this comic makes me pretty loving angry, y'all.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Perhaps the Unfunnies could form the basis of a Let's Read Thread that dissects the work and how terrible it is, and how it could have been salvageable. People liked that serious Flintstones comic right?

Not me, though. I can appreciate the odd child-death in an Adult-Swim but this would be too much.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 13, 2019

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, seconding this. I read it ages back and it was the one and only time I've read a comic where I just legit assumed the people making it were genuinely hosed in the head. I've never had that reaction before and I used to binge read/buy Avatar comics sight unseen so I had a lot of lovely edgy schlock.

I wasn't surprised in the slightest when I noticed that Mark was trying to forget it ever happened and never includes it in his list of works.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e2: And yes, you're reading that right, the comic eventually turns out to be basically Edgy Duck Amuck but with a serial killer instead of Bugs Bunny

More specifically a child molester/child killer because of course he is. gently caress you, Mark Millar.

edit- it can't be understated how much child rape/murder there is in this thing. Like if anyone connected to the book got busted for CP I don't think I would bat an eye in surprise.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Perhaps the Unfunnies could form the basis of a Let's Read Thread that dissects the work and how terrible it is, and how it could have been salvageable. People liked that serious Flintstones comic right?

Not me, though. I can appreciate the odd child-death in an Adult-Swim but this would be too much.

Oh, please, please let this happen. We can always censor the panels for the sake of people's stomachs, too.

Wait. That'd blur out every page, wouldn't it?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I didnt hear about holly attacking heidi. last thing i heard is she may have helped jared find victims too. assholes both of them.

She made a tweet that I can't get to because the status of her account but it was basically
"If you'd rather believe a hyperbolic statement by some other person with nothing but their word to go on you do you. You shouldn't take peoples words so easily" or something along those lines. Very next tweet was "You all know me, I would never actually do anything to harm another person so I'm clearly innocent. *peace sign emoji*"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

She made a tweet that I can't get to because the status of her account but it was basically
"If you'd rather believe a hyperbolic statement by some other person with nothing but their word to go on you do you. You shouldn't take peoples words so easily" or something along those lines. Very next tweet was "You all know me, I would never actually do anything to harm another person so I'm clearly innocent. *peace sign emoji*"

These are still the last two tweets on her account:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Little Mac posted:

I wish I had half as many viewers as he threw away by being a pedophile shitbag.
Lol.

And how can anyone on here say that all bird owners are bad when bird mod is one of the two only truly good and pure mods we have?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Birds are fine, Bird People... less so.

It's like with cats, or any pet really, where having one or a few is normal and healthy but when someone starts collecting them like pokemon it's time to worry.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sarcopenia posted:

Lol.

And how can anyone on here say that all bird owners are bad when bird mod is one of the two only truly good and pure mods we have?

But Literally A Bird is just a bird? Owning other birds would be akin to slavery, no?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leal posted:

But Literally A Bird is just a bird? Owning other birds would be akin to slavery, no?

Owning them with pithy tweets would be par for the course, however.

Also:

https://twitter.com/PushinUpRoses/status/1127741332129288193

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

that Flintstones comic isn't even in the same universe as this, even if you don't like it. the Flintstones comic used its setting, premise and archetypes as a way to legitimately, in some cases poignantly, explore modern social issues (and relate them back to how a prehistoric society might have handled them); it's literally the exact opposite of The Unfunnies, because whereas The Unfunnies is literally just a bunch of horrible things happening to cute cartoon characters so the author can get off on it, that Flintstones comic is made with absolute, utter sincerity.

I'm almost not sure if a Let's Read would work because The Unfunnies is honestly borderline :nms:.

e: actually, that's a good compare-contrast for a video essay: being "mature" vs. being mature.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Wikipedia posted:

Millar expressed dissatisfaction with Williams' initial artwork, and instructed him to "make it shittier."

I think this says a lot

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

while the new flinstones isn't horrible, Dinosaurs did it better

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Flintstones comic is extremely good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
actually, if I did do a Let's Read over in BSS, would people read it? I really wanna get this out of my system and I don't know if I can wait until I have a new mic, but... it's potentially the worst comic ever writen, on every possible level, and I'm not entirely sure if I want my Forums Brand to be griping about terrible comics creators (as opposed to now, when I'm mostly known for being everywhere and frequently having bad takes)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm willing to give it a read, or a watch if someone makes a video.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't think it would kill me to revisit it and it could be lots of fun!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Pushing Up Roses has a lot to say about ProJared:

https://twitter.com/PushinUpRoses/status/1127713158175580161

I am so angry that the plethora of abusive men in games culture/streaming/videos has steered her away from doing something she really loved, although her TV stuff is top notch.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
New OSW Review of WrestleMania 35. I realize it's a huge event, but holy gently caress, the bloat. 7 and a half hours? 14 commentators? 16 matches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

rudecyrus posted:

New OSW Review of WrestleMania 35. I realize it's a huge event, but holy gently caress, the bloat. 7 and a half hours? 14 commentators? 16 matches?

The WWE product in general has suffered massive bloat over the past few years in roster, overbooking, and television time, and it reached a point that I could barely stomach it BEFORE the Saudi Arabia blood money shows. From what I hear it hasn't gotten better in the slightest since I quit.