Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Also we can say yes Dany was always hinted at as being unhinged, prone to harsh punishments and revenge against those that wronged her. But it no way was it hinting she was full on encouraging a dragon to burn little girls alive mad. I would have preferred if they'd have her just burn all the soldiers who surrendered, which whilst yes is still crazy, isnt such a leap from breaker of chains to roasted kiddies. There's absolutely no way she comes out of this not a babbling mess, as opposed to if she'd burnt the surrendered soldiers she could have had some backwards logic of "oh they'd have fought for another tyrant if given the chance" etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Arya gonna kill dany cause she still has to shut dome green eyes according to the fire lady and prophecies matter on this show...sometimes

Only when D&D remember them.

I’m still sitting here waiting for a little brother to strangle Cersei.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Midgetskydiver posted:

Agree on this, except maybe for Jaime if only because it felt so rushed for him to basically fall for Brienne and then go right back to Cersei and inevitable death within the span of one episode. It just felt too rushed- and Jaime's callousness toward Brienne was not in keeping with how much he had apparently grown to respect and care for her.

Self-hating people do that poo poo all the time. Get something good, freak out, then bounce.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Scoss posted:

I'm open to being convinced that Dany's turn works better than I'm giving credit, and it's possible I've just forgotten earlier parts of the show--

To that end, can anyone actually list prior examples of her killing people who didn't somehow earn it? Even situations where she wanted to but was convinced to take a lighter approach?

Well that's the thing isn't it? This was one more step on a long progression toward fully embracing any means to an end for her. Yeah people she murdered in cold blood previously were bad, but the transition from that to murdering people who aren't bad but will help her achieve her ultimate goal isn't that much of one at all. She was already a cold blooded, calculating murderer and has been for some time.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Xae posted:

10 Episodes would have really improved the pacing.

Either that, or episodes 3-6 needed to be 2 hours each.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcbexx posted:

I mean, if this doesn't get you in the mood

https://i.imgur.com/mRQGr4I.mp4

then probably nothing would have.

:black101:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Admiral Ray posted:

Self-hating people do that poo poo all the time. Get something good, freak out, then bounce.

This is a good point and I'm reevaluating my opinion now.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I liked the good ole boys in the northern army. Lannisters surrender, they see the weird foreign slaves and mongolians just start slaughtering unarmed civilians, women and children, etc.

They’re like... hell yeah let’s do this! **slash slash** Man, this is so much easier than fighting soldiers

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Midgetskydiver posted:

Well that's the thing isn't it? This was one more step on a long progression toward fully embracing any means to an end for her. Yeah people she murdered in cold blood previously were bad, but the transition from that to murdering people who aren't bad but will help her achieve her ultimate goal isn't that much of one at all. She was already a cold blooded, calculating murderer and has been for some time.

She went from murdering people who deserved it to murdering people because it was convenient (the Dothraki Crones, Mereen nobles) to murdering because she enjoyed it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ybbaaabby/status/1127784972973162497

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Arya gonna kill dany cause she still has to shut dome green eyes according to the fire lady and prophecies matter on this show...sometimes

See this is the dumbest poo poo of all. Dany should have violet eyes like almost all Targs, which makes this entire setup contrived , which is loving stupid

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Wheel of Time gonna blow their CGI budget on braid-tugging.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

Agree on this, except maybe for Jaime if only because it felt so rushed for him to basically fall for Brienne and then go right back to Cersei and inevitable death within the span of one episode. It just felt too rushed- and Jaime's callousness toward Brienne was not in keeping with how much he had apparently grown to respect and care for her.

Jamie wasn’t callous to Brienne, he couldn’t stay with her because he fundamentally could not believe he wasn’t a bad person, the type of person who would deserve Brienne.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

lol Dany killed kids

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

She went from murdering people who deserved it to murdering people because it was convenient (the Dothraki Crones, Mereen nobles) to murdering because she enjoyed it.

Right, so a progression. Thanks for making my point that this wasn't some switch that suddenly got flipped.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Raccooon posted:

She literally stops the Dothraki from raping people. Drogo kills a guy over it.

Exactly, thank you. So to go from seeing that to essentially saying "oh she'd be kill with Drogo raping thousands of women" is kind of absurd and i think ignores the character she's supposed to be up until well this episode.

Slowpoke! posted:

I think in the books they spend a lot more time in Slaver’s Bay and she does some pretty awful poo poo, but it’s been so long I don’t remember specific examples.

Nothing like this though. I thought for sure she was just going to burn down the castle when she took off. It was pretty heavy handed and I’m sure Dany is dead next episode and this was the set up to soften the blow.

That's 100% the way i was trying to describe her turn: heavy handed. It's absolutely just to make her inevitable death palatable to an audience who cried that Missandei was killed. Instead of this powerful woman whose gone through rape, being sold to others, attempted assassinations, loss of her figurative children, having to deal with being a woman trying to hold power in a society that is male dominated etc etc having her throne just taken out from under her by Jon, they can now be satiated by the fact that it's ok because she was Dragon Hitler and had no redeemable qualities and that feels lazy to me.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 13, 2019

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

The Veep ending was good at least.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
lol that was so much worse than I'd imagined. Absute hilarity.

I can only assume the Lynchian dream horse at the end was supposed to tip off the viewer that Arya was knocked out by that guard when she and the Hound tried to get past the Team Dany line and everything in the episode after that was just her hallucinating.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Delthalaz posted:

I liked the good ole boys in the northern army. Lannisters surrender, they see the weird foreign slaves and mongolians just start slaughtering unarmed civilians, women and children, etc.

They’re like... hell yeah let’s do this! **slash slash** Man, this is so much easier than fighting soldiers

Red Wedding payback.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Oh and not only is Dany now a genocidal maniac, but apparently Grey Worm is cool with killing surrendered soldiers now?

COOL.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lol at the people mad at danys supposed heel Tien. She was always an entitled prick who likes to murder people who defied her. She thought she could just roll into Westeros and break the wheel or whatever by conquering the place and setting herself up as the queen.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Dany's God complex always should have been off putting. You think that you are breaking the wheel when really you're just Making The World Safe For Dothrak Children.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W8j6wOvxuo

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Whoever said Euron won the game of thrones earlier was dead on. Dude died with a loving smile on his face. He only fought Jamie Lannister (and mostly won) because he happened to run into him and they kinda didn’t get along.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Based on the post battle math in the north i'm calculating roughly a dozen people died in kings landing.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I hope the golden company got paid well.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I know it was because controlling a startled horse is hard to do without someone or the animal getting hurt, but if the horse was at least circling around in a bit of a panic instead of just standing there waiting for Arya to walk up to it, it wouldn't have looked so bad.

The way they filmed it though, the only way that would have worked was if the hound was holding the lines, repeating Fezzik's lines from the end of princess bride.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Majorian posted:

Oh my God I didn't think of it on that level.

I was thrilled just to have all the YAS KWEEN dipshits sad.

You've made my evening.

There's so much to work with even outside of Dany's dubious heel turn. The idea of arya laying down her seasons long omertà at the behest of a father figure is just :kiss:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Scoss posted:

I'm open to being convinced that Dany's turn works better than I'm giving credit, and it's possible I've just forgotten earlier parts of the show--

To that end, can anyone actually list prior examples of her killing people who didn't somehow earn it? Even situations where she wanted to but was convinced to take a lighter approach?

There are none. The show does a piss poor job on convincing the audience that the lady that sacrified half of her army and one of her dragons to protect the realm from the night king would do this.

I'm all for mad queen dany, and there is certainly foreshadowing for the mad queen ending in both the books and the show. She's fine with the dothraki raping and pillaging villages as long as she could use them to bring fire and blood down on her enemies or whatever. She crucifies and buncha slave traders. She executes tons of people with her dragon fire, which is a direct comparison to how her dad the mad king did things by burning people alive.

But she never burns thousands of innocent children alive herself lol. Pretty sure she was always anti kids being killed lol

But some of her buddies got murdered in a two episode span, her nephew wouldnt gently caress her, and she lost a coin flip so :shrug:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I'm really looking forward to next week. I have high anticipation. Not because I will enjoy the episode, though I might. Not because I will finally be free of this, though I will be. Because of this:

Wizard Master posted:

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

I have been dying to know, ever since this guy started doing this years ago, how it will end.

Will it just be the exact same thing?
Will it be the series was garbage?
Will it be a swerve to thinking the series was great?

So many possibilities!

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Monaghan posted:

Lol at the people mad at danys supposed heel Tien. She was always an entitled prick who likes to murder people who defied her. She thought she could just roll into Westeros and break the wheel or whatever by conquering the place and setting herself up as the queen.

She was always played as having a one track mind to getting that throne. And was always painted as harsh to her enemies. But she was never painted as a maniac who'd laugh while she burned innocent women and children alive. This is a woman who freed slaved, stopped rapes etc. Her view was she'd be the best queen and to stop anyone who'd prevent that but that's a long way from psychopath who'd kill children.

It's like they put Ramsey Bolton on a dragon.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Broken Record Talk posted:

Only when D&D remember them.

I’m still sitting here waiting for a little brother to strangle Cersei.

That one prophecy actually wasnt in the show.

Book jamie gonna totally kill cersei though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Loke seriously the northners asked her if hey can we run our own poo poo and she tells them to go gently caress themselves she's really breaking chains everybody

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought that was extremely well-executed.

I mean, the plot beats were trash, but I guess I'd come to grips with that since they leaked like 2 weeks ago.

Outside of that though, it was all very well done.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

mcbexx posted:

Boy am I happy that I'm dumb enough to just sit back and enjoy this show for what it is. Can't imagine how pissed I would be if I could no longer nitpick and backseat direct this poo poo after next week.

I'd also be interested to hear opinions on what would have made a better Cleganebowl. I mean, if this doesn't get you in the mood

https://i.imgur.com/mRQGr4I.mp4

then probably nothing would have.
Hatewatching is one hell of a drug, one can only assume.

that is such a great shot, it just makes me angrier about the rest of the epside(or season) because it just shows it had so much potential. I would've preferred a bit more brutal fighting between the two and The Mountain not stripping down but overall it wasn't complete poo poo like the rest of the episode

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Every last noble in mereen deserved to die and lol at people putting them in the "undeserved" column.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I thought Emilia Clarke did a great job with Dany's turn but the writers didn't give everyone a whole lot to work with.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bip Roberts posted:

I hope the golden company got paid well.

Hopefully they manage in 30 seconds next week to have a scene where a single ship sails into Braavos with naught but a bunch of burned up bodies and chestplates on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Both her siblings and her dad were Targaryen crazy, her mum isn't really mentioned that much.

The bigger asspull is that Jon is somehow sane.