Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

show bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

She was always played as having a one track mind to getting that throne. And was always painted as harsh to her enemies. But she was never painted as a maniac who'd laugh while she burned innocent women and children alive. This is a woman who freed slaved, stopped rapes etc. Her view was she'd be the best queen and to stop anyone who'd prevent that but that's a long way from psychopath who'd kill children.

It's like they put Ramsey Bolton on a dragon.

She's been loved by the populace each time that happened and now she's had the harsh truth of people not giving her unquestioning adulation. She never dealt with that before and ran straight into her messianic complex

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

grack posted:

Why is half of the Northern army not wearing loving helmets? Like, you're about to go in to a massive battle and half of these idiots are like, "What, head protection? gently caress that noise, that's for the WEAK. Oh, my brain seems to be leaking out of a crack in my skull. Ah well."

At least it's better than having every single person wearing helmets EXCEPT for the named characters like I usually see.

That one fight between Brienne and the Hound would have been a lot different if they just wore helmets before a fight like they are supposed to. If they just wore helmets there would be no ear biting or face punching or head smashing with a rock like they did.

I also remember armor actually working a few times early in the series, which I thought was cool as hell. In the later episodes though, they do what every other movie does and armor turns to cardboard and is for looks only. I like how the Hound just stabs through a thick metal plate, through the Mountain's body, then all the way through another metal plate on the other side.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I thought that was extremely well-executed.

I mean, the plot beats were trash, but I guess I'd come to grips with that since they leaked like 2 weeks ago.

Outside of that though, it was all very well done.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. This episode was good but the lead up to it was bad. Like it would be great if it made better sense in the broader context,

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Midgetskydiver posted:

Right, so a progression. Thanks for making my point that this wasn't some switch that suddenly got flipped.

Yeah, I'm not sure how anyone missed it.

"Hay guise, I'm the last scion of a deposed tyrannical dynasty and I'm going to invade the country during a civil war with an army of slaves, barbarians and monsters!"
--Things a Hero totally says.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Both her siblings and her dad were Targaryen crazy, her mum isn't really mentioned that much.

The bigger asspull is that Jon is somehow sane.

He stuck his dick in crazy, brought her home and stuck around her to watch her unleash her crazy on everyone else. He's crazy in a :downs: way

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I'm all for mad queen dany, and there is certainly foreshadowing for the mad queen ending in both the books and the show. She's fine with the dothraki raping and pillaging villages as long as she could use them to bring fire and blood down on her enemies or whatever. She crucifies and buncha slave traders. She executes tons of people with her dragon fire, which is a direct comparison to how her dad the mad king did things by burning people alive.

They definitely foreshadowed this level of psychotic poorly.

None of those things are anything close to what happened in this episode though, And I dont think she was fine with the Dothraki raping anyone, like someone said she stops one of them raping a woman in the later episodes, i think she just didnt have the control at that point so she really had no choice.

Also all the Targ's burnt people alive as a form of execution,and tbh Vary's death looked pretty quick, but the mad king did it for fun iirc, also to torture and gently caress with his enemies.

And tbh those slave traders deserved worse fates.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Both her siblings and her dad were Targaryen crazy, her mum isn't really mentioned that much.

The bigger asspull is that Jon is somehow sane.

He's half Stark. Danny is all inbred Targ.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
It was well directed at least. Some good shots, I liked the match cuts of Arya and the hound.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Armour working is legitimately a plot point in season 1.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The worst thing to me is that cleganebowl didn't have any unique music. The hound slowly walking up the stairs to face the mountain is such a :darksouls: scene that I was like, okay an awesome piece of music is going to play now.... But then it never happened.

(this episode was a dumpster fire)

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I can imagine that this was in GRRM`s notes about how the battle generally goes since its a takedown of Aragorn in Lord of the Rings, which GRRM has mentioned before

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Episode was good.
Tyrion and Jaime was good.
Hound and Mountain was good.
Dany finally going full Targ was good.

GRRM was the one who planned all the plot points so while it is sad, it's not really disappointing to see that Jaime ultimately can not let go of Cersei. I think some of y'all have gotten brain worms too from creating headcanons for over a decade thinking about how Jaime was going to also be a queenslayer or oooo GRRM does it again! The prophecy actually means Jaime is the one! etc. But it's not your fault that you got brain worms, it's the fat man for not writing.

It makes sense that Dany will go mad in the end, it makes sense that Jaime won't kill his freaking twin that he loved all his life and is essentially the only tragic flaw of his otherwise good character. What GRRM *would've* done differently if he had written anything was just make the journey to the ending take five more books with a lot of side track diarrhea.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Just Chamber posted:

None of those things are anything close to what happened in this episode though, And I dont think she was fine with the Dothraki raping anyone, like someone said she stops one of them raping a woman in the later episodes, i think she just didnt have the control at that point so she really had no choice.

Also all the Targ's burnt people alive as a form of execution,and tbh Vary's death looked pretty quick, but the mad king did it for fun iirc, also to torture and gently caress with his enemies.

And tbh those slave traders deserved worse fates.

No you are correct she used her limited power she had at the time to stop the rapes of as many women as she could.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
The proper ending to this show would be Dany and her army starving to death because they burned the entire city and have nowhere to shelter and have no food. Good thing the show forgot it's supposed to be winter cause I'm sure those Dothraki screamers would be real effective in 10 foot snow drifts. Plus the crown is in deep debt and her advisors with experience on the small council and ruling the kingdoms have gone full retard and have forgotten about all this stuff.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I will say the one thing I like is the full circle of Dany sacking KL with a Northern army and utterly destroying the Lannisters like they did to her family. And the Northern army looking for revenge for the Red Wedding, putting the Boltons in charge, and the death of Ned and Robb is pretty good justification in their minds for the wanton looting.

The Lannisters are said to have opened the gates to the city and surprise attacked a city that tried to surrender. At least Dany blew the gate down so they knew what was coming.

Does not justify or even explain Dany going full genocide on civilians though

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Hearing the mountain let out an oof as castle ceiling landed on him made me wanna play dark souls again for some reason

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 13, 2019

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Raccooon posted:

I'm pretty much in the same boat. This episode was good but the lead up to it was bad. Like it would be great if it made better sense in the broader context,

It would have been much better if she made the choice to decimate Cersei's army with dragonfire, but knowingly burned thousands of women and children alive in the process and not giving a gently caress.

But she just goes on a murder spree cause shes mad.

Ah well, the scenes with the panicked citizens burning alive WERE well done. So im over it now i guess.

Also just realizing now (cause im a dummy) that the horse poo poo with arya was that she was getting on the pale horse of death lol

Bananasaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 13, 2019

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Just Chamber posted:

That's 100% the way i was trying to describe her turn: heavy handed. It's absolutely just to make her inevitable death palatable to an audience who cried that Missandei was killed. Instead of this powerful woman whose gone through rape, being sold to others, attempted assassinations, loss of her figurative children, having to deal with being a woman trying to hold power in a society that is male dominated etc etc having her throne taken out from under her by Jon, they can now be satiated by the fact that it's ok because she was Dragon Hitler and had no redeemable qualities and that feels lazy to me.

I would have been perfectly happy with her getting pissed at the bells then flying to the keep with a wild look in her eye and destroying it at the cost of the thousands of people surrounding it. Killing innocents as collateral damage while trying to get revenge for Missandei and everything else makes sense. Her looking angry at the surrender then slowly and methodically murdering everyone and leveling the entire city from the outside in while her army is actively invading it is just so stupid and out of line with her character. She has acted intelligently (if brutally) this entire time and now in the 2nd to last episode she suddenly becomes absolutely bonkers insane "cuz Targaryen." This lazy rear end writing plagues the whole season.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 13, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Xae posted:

"Hay guise, I'm the last scion of a deposed tyrannical dynasty and I'm going to invade the country during a civil war with an army of slaves, barbarians and monsters!"

I think the Targaryens werent supposed to be anymore tyrannical than any other ruling family, they just happened to have the longest dynasty, like if say the Lannisters ruled for hundreds of years. In fact i think many of them were loved by the populace, but the mad king kind of hosed that up for everyone.

But yea she has always been painted as having this one track right to rule mentality, probably because it was ingrained in her as a a child from her mad brother and those around her. But I suppose when your entire family were brutally murdered, men, women and children and deposed, leading a bunch of freed slaves to go across and kick out those ruling families who let your relatives, babies included be killed doesnt sound so bad.

Like a Dany prior to her going full Targ crazy, where she has mostly spent her time freeing slaves, stopping brutal regimes etc, takes over, becomes queen and unites all the houses etc under one rule sounds pretty ok on paper, but once she starts frying little boys and girls all bets are off.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Inkel posted:

The proper ending to this show would be Dany and her army starving to death because they burned the entire city and have nowhere to shelter and have no food. Good thing the show forgot it's supposed to be winter cause I'm sure those Dothraki screamers would be real effective in 10 foot snow drifts. Plus the crown is in deep debt and her advisors with experience on the small council and ruling the kingdoms have gone full retard and have forgotten about all this stuff.

Pretty sure that debt was owed by the Lannisters rather than the crown. The iron bank has to be broke af losing the entire Stannis army and now these golden company dorks to Cersei. I guess they got a bunch of treasure last season though.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Inkel posted:

Good thing the show forgot it's supposed to be winter

...hey yeAH WAIT A FUCKIN' SECOND

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the whole song of ice and fire is a cautionary tale of what happens when you put women in charge

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The only person they really did dirty to this episode was my boy Qyburn. Not because he died like a cracked watermelon to his own creation, but because of the showrunner's anti magic attitude, he never got a chance to do any crazy experiments after zombie mountain. I hope in the books that will never come out that he gets to play with more zombie experiments with no one to stop him.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Let me sum up. We got

- Swordfighting
- Multiple beatdowns and ragdoll throws
- Impaling the Mountain with a bigass sword
- the Mountain pulling out the bigass sword
- Gouging of both eyes, going for what we can safely assume was supposed to end in the "Viper manoeuvre 2.0"
- Stabbing of the eye with a dagger
- Trying to pull out said dagger
- Both smashing through a brick wall, falling 200 feet into a sea of fire

A goon:

Gresh posted:

I would've preferred a bit more brutal fighting between the two

:rolleyes:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

the panicked citizens burning alive WERE well done.

Ha.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Episode was good.
Tyrion and Jaime was good.
Hound and Mountain was good.
Dany finally going full Targ was good.

GRRM was the one who planned all the plot points so while it is sad, it's not really disappointing to see that Jaime ultimately can not let go of Cersei. I think some of y'all have gotten brain worms too from creating headcanons for over a decade thinking about how Jaime was going to also be a queenslayer or oooo GRRM does it again! The prophecy actually means Jaime is the one! etc. But it's not your fault that you got brain worms, it's the fat man for not writing.

It makes sense that Dany will go mad in the end, it makes sense that Jaime won't kill his freaking twin that he loved all his life and is essentially the only tragic flaw of his otherwise good character. What GRRM *would've* done differently if he had written anything was just make the journey to the ending take five more books with a lot of side track diarrhea.

Excuse me, I think you will find the man the myth the legend Darkstar stops all this destruction from happening :smug:

Xae posted:

The Targs had a bunch of good kings too, hell Aerys' father was a good king for the most part.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Dany turning villain was rushed but understandable. But burning your home city, your birthright and entire reason for sailing across the narrow sea AFTER you've won? Pure nonsense.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcbexx posted:

Let me sum up. We got

- Swordfighting
- Multiple beatdowns and ragdoll throws
- Impaling the Mountain with a bigass sword
- the Mountain pulling out the bigass sword
- Gouging of both eyes, going for what we can safely assume was supposed to end in the "Viper manoeuvre 2.0"
- Stabbing of the eye with a dagger
- Trying to pull out said dagger
- Both smashing through a brick wall, falling 200 feet into a sea of fire

A goon:

:rolleyes:

lmao

this thread is still in hatewatching mode when the show has clearly shot the moon, just roll with it folks, zero expectations

:krad: CLEGANEBOWL :krad:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

I will say the one thing I like is the full circle of Dany sacking KL with a Northern army and utterly destroying the Lannisters like they did to her family. And the Northern army looking for revenge for the Red Wedding, putting the Boltons in charge, and the death of Ned and Robb is pretty good justification in their minds for the wanton looting.

The Lannisters are said to have opened the gates to the city and surprise attacked a city that tried to surrender. At least Dany blew the gate down so they knew what was coming.

Does not justify or even explain Dany going full genocide on civilians though

Yea they could have had some Northern soliders shouting "For Robb" etc as they started killing the Lannisters who surrendered, maybe you introduce a Northern general as a minor character as a friend of Jon's who tries to convince Jon to kill them all, says these are the ones who killed Ned Stark etc, test Jon's resolve, show him resisting and what makes him such a potential good king as he prevents his men from joining in the slaughter, that would have been a nice touch.

But tbf i do like the idea that once Grey Worm threw that spear all bets are off, battles are just too chaotic for any sort of speech. Though i also kind of wish there was more build up to him doing that, like show just how devastated he is that Missandei is dead, maybe that's what extra episodes would have done for his character.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Season 7 did fanservice the good way. Season 8 is doing fanservice the bad way. This is my opinion, thanks for reading.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

frankenstein makeup / off-brand darth vader mountain was extremely embarassing imo. also i made this joke picture

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Just Chamber posted:

They have repeatedly established that Dany will gleefully murder her enemies.

And I think over the last few episodes they have pretty clearly set up that Dany now considers the people of Westeros her enemies.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

AnEdgelord posted:

Every last noble in mereen deserved to die and lol at people putting them in the "undeserved" column.

The real victim of slavery was Scarlett O'Hara.
-Most Americans, probably

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The mountain right was rad as poo poo wtf is wrong with some people

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I can't tell if I don't like the Greyjoy dude because he was badly written, badly acted, or both.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Hughmoris posted:

I can't tell if I don't like the Greyjoy dude because he was badly written, badly acted, or both.

Badly written by GRRM. Victarion was better.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Dany going mad was telegraphed for such a long time that it was no surprise.

Cleganebowl owned.

But I'm really glad we spent 20 minutes of the episode with closeups of Arya running and getting knocked around.

also lmao the horse at the end, thats just D&D taking a piss off everyone who still took this series seriously.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I've always said the Lannister siblings romance was the heart of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Hughmoris posted:

His costume was dumb. He looked like a drunk hobbit and a half.

Actually I guess that's what he was supposed to look like.