Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Germans did it in WWII. As we all know the Nazis were big into "Strife breeds greatness! Arrragh!" poo poo, and thus decided to apply this to their industry and as a result there was a stupid amount of infighting and duplication of effort between industrialists and elements of the Nazi party and so on. Like higher ranking Nazis would send the SS to kidnap workers from factories run by their rivals or by lower-ranking Nazis, or would send the army draft board after the workers at those factories, and the guys at the top like Goering would intentionally keep the infighting going to prevent their subordinates from getting enough political power to threaten them. One of the best German night fighter designs never got built in any great number because the head of the Reich Aviation Ministry was a fan of a different design and kept sabotaging the aircraft and also arranged for it's main proponent, one of the Luftwaffe's more capable commanders, to get exiled to Norway.

I've heard a lot of this kind of thing about Nazi Germany, and every time I hear something new I reflect that we (meaning the rest of the world) got lucky that there was so much incompetence among the Nazi high command. Like, Hitler was paranoid about his generals and began issuing battle plans himself (He was no better a strategist than he was a painter), even to the point of not allowing forces in the field to retreat without his explicit orders. To say nothing of his expenditures on various paranormal boondoggles and quests for legendary relics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Dareon posted:

I've heard a lot of this kind of thing about Nazi Germany, and every time I hear something new I reflect that we (meaning the rest of the world) got lucky that there was so much incompetence among the Nazi high command. Like, Hitler was paranoid about his generals and began issuing battle plans himself (He was no better a strategist than he was a painter), even to the point of not allowing forces in the field to retreat without his explicit orders. To say nothing of his expenditures on various paranormal boondoggles and quests for legendary relics.

If you want even more of this. a recent book hits on an angle most people didn't really consider that led to some fascinating research.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, there's a reason 'Nazi efficiency' gives actual historians of any competence an aneurysm. The whole regime was built to appease egos and hatreds first and foremost, and everything flowed from that.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

As we can see with some of the winners holding offices these days when your ideology encourages you to be a stupid rear end in a top hat, your regime becomes a confederacy of dunces

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

As we can see with some of the winners holding offices these days when your ideology encourages you to be a stupid rear end in a top hat, your regime becomes a confederacy of dunces

I see you are familiar with Justin Trudeau.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone remember the Land of the Dead game? I was mucking about in some boxes the other day and found my PC copy. It was utterly poo poo and clearly made by amateurs with zero budget but I still liked it. There's something about the incredibly slow pace that makes it seem realistic. I installed it and actually ended up playing through the whole thing in one sitting (only takes three hours). It's now not just poo poo but incredibly dated yet I had a good time.
Either way, it certainly belongs in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC26DOjFxRo

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Imagine a Venn diagram, where one circle is "developers attempting to make an ironically lovely game" and the other circle is "lovely developers ironically failing to make a game". From what I can see, this one is sitting solidly in the intersection of the two sets.

Phucker in the Gulag
It's a nice sunny day at Syringe Beach and roided up beefster Ryukaze and his wise old friend Orcmaster Jones are soaking up the rays and oogling at the babes. Their life of luxury is soon interrupted however when an old acquaintance bursts into their lives with an offer they simply can not refuse.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Germans did it in WWII. As we all know the Nazis were big into "Strife breeds greatness! Arrragh!" poo poo, and thus decided to apply this to their industry and as a result there was a stupid amount of infighting and duplication of effort between industrialists and elements of the Nazi party and so on. Like higher ranking Nazis would send the SS to kidnap workers from factories run by their rivals or by lower-ranking Nazis, or would send the army draft board after the workers at those factories, and the guys at the top like Goering would intentionally keep the infighting going to prevent their subordinates from getting enough political power to threaten them. One of the best German night fighter designs never got built in any great number because the head of the Reich Aviation Ministry was a fan of a different design and kept sabotaging the aircraft and also arranged for it's main proponent, one of the Luftwaffe's more capable commanders, to get exiled to Norway.

To be fair though America did implement competition in its production chains but did it in a much safer way; whoever did the best got a bonus but nobody got punished for being the bottom. They'd have their production target, they'd get a bonus if they exceeded it, and whoever exceeded it the most got another bonus. Despite that so long as you were meeting your quotas nobody got fired.

A certain level of competition is a good thing it's just that level of cut throat competition is very bad. "You have to fire the bottom X% of performers every Y period of time" is one of the worst ideas possible in a work environment. One of the reasons is that you have people who are totally happy just coasting along at the minimum expectations to not get fired and aren't interested in the competition or the fat bonus. That's totally fine and that person shouldn't be punished.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 3, 2019

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Earlier in the thread someone mentioned Lust for Darkness and since gory poo poo is my jam I decided to look into it. After reading a couple of threads on the Steam forum I snapped it up and God drat does it deliver. I've never seen so much horrible poo poo in a game ever. These devs don't shy away from showing you various genitals and utterly gruesome mutilation. I never played more of Agony than the alpha, but I refuse to believe it throws half as much gore and debauchery at you as this thing. It also does a good job of portraying the other dimension as a mix of Lovecraft, Clive Barker and Giger.
Also maybe worth mentioning that it mostly is a walking sim but it does have some sneaking and running sections. These are a piece of piss tho. SOMA and A Machine for Pigs are more difficult.

So yeah, if you're the type of person who wants to stumble across a demon using a torso as a fleshlight (I'm not joking) then this is the game for you.
Praise be to Gabe and Valve for not giving a single gently caress what people toss up on the store anymore.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lodin posted:

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned Lust for Darkness and since gory poo poo is my jam I decided to look into it. After reading a couple of threads on the Steam forum I snapped it up and God drat does it deliver. I've never seen so much horrible poo poo in a game ever. These devs don't shy away from showing you various genitals and utterly gruesome mutilation. I never played more of Agony than the alpha, but I refuse to believe it throws half as much gore and debauchery at you as this thing. It also does a good job of portraying the other dimension as a mix of Lovecraft, Clive Barker and Giger.
Also maybe worth mentioning that it mostly is a walking sim but it does have some sneaking and running sections. These are a piece of piss tho. SOMA and A Machine for Pigs are more difficult.

So yeah, if you're the type of person who wants to stumble across a demon using a torso as a fleshlight (I'm not joking) then this is the game for you.
Praise be to Gabe and Valve for not giving a single gently caress what people toss up on the store anymore.

:stonk: okay I've gotta see this for myself

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Lowtax played Lust from Beyond and it seemed pretty boring? Like it was just 2 hours of him wandering around a house, opening cabinets, finding wooden dildos? loving happened a couple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV8yk_-5NZM

Maybe Lust for Darkness is more entertaining?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tobermory posted:

his wise old friend Orcmaster Jones

Please don't doxx me.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

Lowtax played Lust from Beyond and it seemed pretty boring? Like it was just 2 hours of him wandering around a house, opening cabinets, finding wooden dildos? loving happened a couple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV8yk_-5NZM

Maybe Lust for Darkness is more entertaining?

That's an old rear end alpha that was given to game journalists so it's not surprising if it's boring. Either way, I just backed the kickstarter for it because I want more of this horror show.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

:wtf: in what world does pitting your team against itself a good idea? Didnt SEARS do something similar?

Edit: or fostering an environment that would cause that to happen. Sounds like Valve would implode if not for the storefront.

Sears was even stupider if you believe that. At Sears each department was considered separate from each other and had to buy material in company ad space like the weekly mailer with their own money. Not every department is equal in size, so for instance father days sales flyers consisted mostly of womens clothing.

The best was this brilliant problem. Kenmore was in an inhouse brand, but technically distinct from the appliances department. Therefore every kenmore applince sold would have half its value applied to the Kenmore division and half to the appliance department, whereas if they sold a non kenmore the appliance department got credited rhe whole sale. If you realize that this means the applince department immediately stopped promoting inhouse brands to the point of hiding them or lying about them, congrats you are smarter than a billionaire

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
autocannibalism is a feature, not a bug.

:capitalism:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
DID SOMEONE SAY AUTOCANNIBALISM

sorrry not sorry, not a bad game

acems
May 8, 2019

Lodin posted:

Anyone remember the Land of the Dead game? I was mucking about in some boxes the other day and found my PC copy. It was utterly poo poo and clearly made by amateurs with zero budget but I still liked it. There's something about the incredibly slow pace that makes it seem realistic. I installed it and actually ended up playing through the whole thing in one sitting (only takes three hours). It's now not just poo poo but incredibly dated yet I had a good time.
Either way, it certainly belongs in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC26DOjFxRo

I remember this game! I played it on PC after seeing it on xplay (I think?). Really helped solidify my love of jank.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Love to have games on Steam where you kill the survivor of a school shooting.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ymgve posted:

Love to have games on Steam where you kill the survivor of a school shooting.

There's a little button where you can report this to Steam, also, send a link to Hogg so his legal team can light this dude up.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Taintrunner posted:

There's a little button where you can report this to Steam, also, send a link to Hogg so his legal team can light this dude up.

Already did.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You know, I got worried that the alt-reich would take any action to take the game down as an attack on them.

Then I realized it would be an attack on them, and that they really had it coming (unlike the victims they choose to mock). So yeah, flag and report away!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

A little secret about Valve/Steam is that the best way to get any sort of action taken on anything is to actually email Valve and not go through any of the automated channels. The reason being, probably, if you email them and a person sees it they can't defend not doing something about it if you were to take that email and post it somewhere about how Valve refused to do anything, whereas if the system is automated they can feign ignorance. I skipped right over reporting this guy for excessive racism in a Dota game and instead send a recording of the game to Steam support and the dude hasn't played a game of Dota since

Don't bother reporting on Steam, just email Valve that screenshot along with the steam store page

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
It sucks that Valve is so terrible otherwise because they've literally done more for Linux gaming in the last two years than any company ever.

Thanks to Proton integration in Steam, you can now play just about everything except *live services* games and it just works. Linux gaming has gone from "you can play indie games and, uhh, Civ 5" to "you can play Skyrim and The Witcher 3 in one click without loving with scripts and terminal commands for an hour and a half."

In a world where Epic bought Rocket League and is *crowing* about bringing it to their store and shutting the Mac and Linux ports down, it makes it hard to support anyone else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think the real problem with Valve is mostly wasted potential more than anything.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1073220/Teeth_Brushing_Simulator/

tags: action, simulation, violent

more brilliant games
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Kavkaz%20Sila%20Games

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1002580/Cell_Defender/

Osmosis Jones really went places.

Edit: Wow, that 9fps trailer: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1060470/Global_Infection/

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 13, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I love how the plane and spaceships are clearly just like...airborne cars

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Can't wait to finally get my wank on!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1007840/Wanking_Simulator/

The best wanking experience known to mankind, from the comfort of your home. Visit Gay Bay and deliver some delightful changes to the town's community.

You play as Winston Gay, a man whose house was taken away by the corrupt government after being called out for wanking too loud by his neighbours. Now, Winston is on a mission to make everyone in the town pay a price for taking away his home.

Wanking Simulator is a mix of destruction & wanking - you are thrown into a town called Gay Bay consisting of a church (God bless), a number of houses and a few other places, such as high school, a garage etc.
The main goal is to destroy as many things as possible before getting caught by the police and collect points by wanking to the chaos we caused.
You are free to go wherever you want, and destroy anything you want.
Our protagonist is given unlockable superpowers, such as making gravity weaker, spawning a rifle in your panties, teleport etc.

The only sexual content in the game is our main character masturbating. No sexual organs are visible.

semi :nws:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So it's Postal 2, but with way more prefab Unity assets, and really leaning into the idea that naming things "Gay" is funny all by itself.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Paranormal Wanktivity

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Popular Human posted:

It sucks that Valve is so terrible otherwise because they've literally done more for Linux gaming in the last two years than any company ever.

unreal and unity, the two most popular engines/development environments on the market from indie all the way up to AAA, have natively included compile-for-linux for probably the last five years at least so uh...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fart of Presto posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1007840/Wanking_Simulator/

The best wanking experience known to mankind, from the comfort of your home. Visit Gay Bay and deliver some delightful changes to the town's community.

You play as Winston Gay, a man whose house was taken away by the corrupt government after being called out for wanking too loud by his neighbours. Now, Winston is on a mission to make everyone in the town pay a price for taking away his home.

Wanking Simulator is a mix of destruction & wanking - you are thrown into a town called Gay Bay consisting of a church (God bless), a number of houses and a few other places, such as high school, a garage etc.
The main goal is to destroy as many things as possible before getting caught by the police and collect points by wanking to the chaos we caused.
You are free to go wherever you want, and destroy anything you want.
Our protagonist is given unlockable superpowers, such as making gravity weaker, spawning a rifle in your panties, teleport etc.

The only sexual content in the game is our main character masturbating. No sexual organs are visible.

It's like a game about that Oglaf comic where the guy can destroy buildings by loving them.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fart of Presto posted:

pffff I play games to get AWAY from reality

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

One of them is Russia Simulator

Looks legit

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bottom screenshot looks far too illegal for Russia.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

(God bless)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Blood 'n Bikinis

quote:

Save the world and find the girl of your dreams among 8 hot candidates in this sexy 'zombie invasion' style RPG/Simulation adventure!

From the screenshots it involves a mechanism called "obedience points", which I'm perfectly happy not understanding in depth.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Finally, the sexy zombie invasion RPG/sim I've been waiting for!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

ultrafilter posted:

Blood 'n Bikinis

From the screenshots it involves a mechanism called "obedience points", which I'm perfectly happy not understanding in depth.

Terrible Awful Games: Earning Obedience Points From the Girls is Grueling (Like Real Life, lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"hypergamy"

Eerurgh