Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Goddamn I loving hate it when I'm right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does this have anything to do with the hit Tom Hanks movie Forrest Gump ?

Nah, it's based on Saving Private Ryan.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I've started cleaning up my neighborhood by trapping and skinning boomers. I just dug a big pit, threw some sticks and leaves on top, and then left a VHS of Forrest Gump and a dog-eared copy of a Dave Barry collection right next to it. Thinking of making a shrimp trail to the pit to lure in even more boomers.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So do they play an edited version of Gump at this cursed restaurant or does everyone nervously look away with Forrest "ruins the roommates bathrobe"?

Also funny how Forest ends up in the only Army troop in 'Nam that never killed another enemy. I mean, Lt. Dan was firing blindly into the bush but I doubt he hit anything.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does this have anything to do with the hit Tom Hanks movie Forrest Gump ?

Indeed it does! Come on down to your local Bubba Gump Shrimp Company and try the Forrest’s Seafood Feast, Jenny’s Catch, or a plate of Lt. Dan’s Surf n Turf! Browse the gift shop and get yourself one of several “I Gotta Pee” T-shirts or a “Stupid Is As Stupid Does” magnet! Or you can just pull up a seat at the bar and watch the movie!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Jenny’s Catch sounds awful

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

poisonpill posted:

Look, the movie never says AIDS, okay?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Indeed it does! Come on down to your local Bubba Gump Shrimp Company and try the Forrest’s Seafood Feast, Jenny’s Catch, or a plate of Lt. Dan’s Surf n Turf! Browse the gift shop and get yourself one of several “I Gotta Pee” T-shirts or a “Stupid Is As Stupid Does” magnet! Or you can just pull up a seat at the bar and watch the movie!

Sold. Do they accept reservations?

edit: Holy poo poo Jenny's Catch is a real item.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

poisonpill posted:

It's the clap

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Your dad is a literal boomer retard and your mom died of ultra herpes

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Mods please rename this the Bubba Gump thread

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Boomer coworker just informed me that his granddaughter didn't learn anything in High School because they didn't bother to teach her cursive.

When pressed on why it was important, "because what if the computer breaks." He, also failed to tell me when the last time he used cursive was.

So, boomers love the idea of cursive handwriting.

Mom and dad went on this same rant, recently. They did an escape room with my sister and some younger people and a few of the younger ones didn't read cursive and this means millenials are stupid. I did the same thing you did and my dad insists that people write in cursive all the time, and "nobody uses block lettering."

Boomers love loving lying like crazy to look smart.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Plan Z posted:

Mom and dad went on this same rant, recently. They did an escape room with my sister and some younger people and a few of the younger ones didn't read cursive and this means millenials are stupid. I did the same thing you did and my dad insists that people write in cursive all the time, and "nobody uses block lettering."

Boomers love loving lying like crazy to look smart.

Admittedly, it's possible everyone THEY know uses cursive, be a use they're all boomers who refuse to not use it.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I think my girlfriend (48) and her daughter (15) might be boomers. They love going to Bubba Gumps, can't really use computers very well, and they did a did a themed 5k this past weekend. I got roped into the 5k as well, but put my foot down at going to Bubba Gumps, so they decided to go to the Hard Rock Cafe instead.

Am I gonna get infected with the boomer too?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

diremonk posted:

I think my girlfriend (48) and her daughter (15) might be boomers. They love going to Bubba Gumps, can't really use computers very well, and they did a did a themed 5k this past weekend. I got roped into the 5k as well, but put my foot down at going to Bubba Gumps, so they decided to go to the Hard Rock Cafe instead.

Sorry, the boomer is already inside you

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Woven belts. Also, ironically, wearing jeans with no belt and shirt tucked in. Paired with a 20 year old pair of Kappa shoes that were all white when new, but are now halfway green because he refused to pay some punk kid to mow his lawn.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

diremonk posted:

Do you wear baseball caps that you got for free at work while indoors?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Plan Z posted:

Do you wear baseball caps that you got for free at work while indoors?

Trick question. Why would you need more than one? This one is perfectly good!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

If you have a Boomer telling you about cursive, have them do this test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7WSgC9oGic&t=29s

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Boomers like having a dining room table and inviting company over and they all show up in suits to eat a dinner you prepared and set out the good china for

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Knight posted:

Boomers like having a dining room table and inviting company over and they all show up in suits to eat a dinner you prepared and set out the good china for

TBL: Conspicuous consumption

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Sorry, the boomer is already inside you

NOOOOOO, wait. I feel like I could go for some shrimp, who cares if the smell of seafood makes me sick. Hey shrimpstress, I'll take a some peel and eat shrimp. That's it, she's gonna get no tip, maybe I should write something funny on the tip line instead. Let me look it up on the facebook.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yes! Though they do hang a sign that says they don’t. It’s a bit confusing

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

diremonk posted:

NOOOOOO, wait. I feel like I could go for some shrimp, who cares if the smell of seafood makes me sick. Hey shrimpstress, I'll take a some peel and eat shrimp. That's it, she's gonna get no tip, maybe I should write something funny on the tip line instead. Let me look it up on the facebook.

Just get the Shrimp Shack Mac & Cheese ;)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Jenny was the name of the shrimping boat dude.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I love pointing out to boomers who bitch about cursive that they don't know how to type in the year 2019 and that poo poo is a lot more useful.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Relevant Tangent posted:

Watching the ads on the TVs at gas stations.

you know those ones where even if you press the button, it doesn't mute? it should be legal to dismember those with a god damned hatchet

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Stretch Marx posted:

I love pointing out to boomers who bitch about cursive that they don't know how to type in the year 2019 and that poo poo is a lot more useful.

Yeah, well....do you know how to start a fire with two sticks, you smart-mouthed punk?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Boomers like to inch their car up at a stop light "just to be sure I tripped the sensors"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
trying to do that is a good way to gently caress up your palms. it's knowledge from tv that they have never actually tried but are still inexplicably proud of, which is boomer as gently caress.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Landline phones.

:stonk: What if something happens?

Use the 4 cell phones that are already here?

:stonk: What if it's a disaster the cell phones don't work?

Who the gently caress do you think is going to come, at that point?

Major regional disaster, but the emergency services will just be hanging around waiting for people who still have landlines to call and will be there promptly. All the cell phone people will sure wish they had it. I'm sure nothing will happen to that infrastructure either.

And then they proceed to complain about the 6 scam calls a day they get that they can't filter and fill the house with noise. Cue literal shrieking into the phone at them, as if that will help.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Knight posted:

Ha ha funny, they never use the good china

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's
Boomers think Levi 501s are flattering
They also still think that khakis with pleats look just fine.
Boomers who finally just accepted DVD are frustrated and angry at Blu Ray for trying to trick them into buying another player
Boomers will start a long winded rant about how my business is going under because I offered to text them a receipt instead of offering a paper one.
If you open your retail business a minute after open they will glibly yell out "party too much last night?"

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

skooma512 posted:

Landline phones.

:stonk: What if something happens?

Use the 4 cell phones that are already here?

:stonk: What if it's a disaster the cell phones don't work?

Who the gently caress do you think is going to come, at that point?

Major regional disaster, but the emergency services will just be hanging around waiting for people who still have landlines to call and will be there promptly. All the cell phone people will sure wish they had it. I'm sure nothing will happen to that infrastructure either.

And then they proceed to complain about the 6 scam calls a day they get that they can't filter and fill the house with noise. Cue literal shrieking into the phone at them, as if that will help.

Sounds like a great time to remind them of the telegraph. If they try to talk poo poo be like "oh yeah, then how'd we kill the aliens in Independence Day, fucker?"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
To this day I still can't write the cursive lowercase z because I was absent from school the day they did that one and the teacher was just like "Yeah we already did that, figure it out.". But I also haven't used cursive in over twenty years. What is the loving obsession with cursive?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you’re handwriting, cursive is faster than printing. Also sometimes illegible.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Having some magical aura that causes all standard ball-point pens to stop working correctly when they start using it so they can then slam it on the counter and repeatedly exclaim "THIS PEN DOESN'T WORK!"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

CPL593H posted:

To this day I still can't write the cursive lowercase z because I was absent from school the day they did that one and the teacher was just like "Yeah we already did that, figure it out.". But I also haven't used cursive in over twenty years. What is the loving obsession with cursive?

YOU NEED THIS FOR COLLEGE is what I was told up until 9th grade (87 or 88) when teachers switched to "must be legible, I don't care how you write".

My Dad kept all the letters his sister and mother wrote him while he was in Viet Nam. They are all in cursive and I can only read maybe every 3rd or 4th letter because of how sloppy it is. But if family lore is to be trusted, most of them is his mother blaming him for being drafted.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bonzo posted:

YOU NEED THIS FOR COLLEGE is what I was told up until 9th grade (87 or 88) when teachers switched to "must be legible, I don't care how you write".

All though grade school it was "YOU MUST WRITE CURSIVE, IN HIGH SCHOOL NO PRINTED WORK WILL BE ACCEPTED!!!" Then in high school nobody cared and almost everyone stopped using it. By then papers were expected to be typed anyways.

There is still a lot of cursive around so it makes sense to know how to read it, but spending loads of time learning to be proficient when writing it doesn't make much sense anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Shooting video in portrait mode