Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
im glad the rape guy is cooler than expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
shame about all the rape tho

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Don't worry, rape beer helped eviscerate precedent later today.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

gvibes posted:

Yeah, I had a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that this was even a case. I don't know anything about antitrust outside the standards essential patents stuff, but it seemed like a stretch to say that people don't buy apps from Apple.

The argument almost makes sense in these 3 sentences:

quote:

The problem is that the 30% commission falls initially on the developers. So if the commission is in fact a monopolistic overcharge, the developers are the parties who are directly injured by it. Plaintiffs can be injured only if the developers are able and choose to pass on the overcharge to them in the form of higher app prices that the developers alone control.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Never-mind the Epic store, who wants to join my class action against steam?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol it turns out florida can't manage to make a prostitution charge stick when they have not one but two videos of the handjobbing

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

lol it turns out florida can't manage to make a prostitution charge stick when they have not one but two videos of the handjobbing

Pretty much. I want to see the language of the order, but the case is basically done at this point.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pretty much. I want to see the language of the order, but the case is basically done at this point.

looks like it's the same as the previous ruling, lack of minimization, plus the traffic stop was also suppressed

quote:

Judge Hanser agreed in his ruling, writing, "The Court finds that the search warrant does not contain required minimization guidelines, and the minimization techniques employed in this case did not satisfy constitutional requirements ... all evidence against the Defendant obtained through and connection with the search warrant is suppressed."

Hanser added that the police stop of Kraft's car on Jan. 19 was an unlawful search, and as such, all information obtained from that search is also suppressed.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26740141/judge-suppresses-video-kraft-solicitation-case

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The stop is suppressed as a result of the video being suppressed. The stop was legal only if they have PC of an offense or reasonable suspicion of a traffic violation. They only had the former because of the officer watching the video. Without that, the stop has no predicate.

The lawfulness of the stop is predicated on the legality of the video evidence.

e: my personal guess is the attorneys assigned the misd division got cocky after kraft's attorneys had to file four motions or so each just to get their pro hac vice in order and got taken to the woodshed at the hearing by not being properly prepared.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 13, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
So now the handy video can be released, right? Charges will be dismissed, so no need for confidentiality?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

So now the handy video can be released, right? Charges will be dismissed, so no need for confidentiality?

Apparently if the charges are dropped it won’t be released.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No, the opposite— the video will be destroyed unless there’s a successful appeal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No. He'll get a protective order pending expungement once the charges get nolle prossed.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

They were arguing that releasing it could taint the jury pool. No jury, no taint.

lol

I thought the wording of the order was the release was stayed pending:

a. Trial juries being sworn in each [criminal] case;

b. The cases resolving by plea agreement;

c. The State no longer pursuing the charges against Defendant.

d. At any other time at which the Court finds the fair trial rights of Defendant are not at risk, after notice to the parties and hearing thereon.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Teddybear posted:

No, the opposite— the video will be destroyed unless there’s a successful appeal.

Video is a public record and Florida law requires it to be released.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Publicly releasing video illegally obtained by violating a person's 4th Amendment rights. As if Kraft wasn't rich enough already.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The stop is suppressed as a result of the video being suppressed. The stop was legal only if they have PC of an offense or reasonable suspicion of a traffic violation. They only had the former because of the officer watching the video. Without that, the stop has no predicate.
Bummer. I had hoped having unconstitutional bullshit happen to a rich person was helping to weaken Whren. (re: pretextual stops)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 13, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The law’s the law man

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The people of Florida deserve to see the basis for the government deciding to bring charges. Let the disinfecting light of disclosure shine on this affair so that hahahbabab

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Florida lets him assert a possibility of others' privacy invasion as a grounds to suppress against himself? Or was he asserting that the police used a drag net and he was a bycatch? How does he even have a REP in a surveillance video in someone else's business? I want to read this order. Anyone have a link to it? That ESPN article has nothing.

This whole thing smells fishy. Much like he must have smelled after visiting that place.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

BigHead posted:

Florida lets him assert a possibility of others' privacy invasion as a grounds to suppress against himself? Or was he asserting that the police used a drag net and he was a bycatch? How does he even have a REP in a surveillance video in someone else's business? I want to read this order. Anyone have a link to it? That ESPN article has nothing.

This whole thing smells fishy. Much like he must have smelled after visiting that place.

dude, no.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I was quoting the original order staying release of the video.

I have no idea about the order suppressing evidence.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BigHead posted:

The order isn't public yet as the clerk hasn't finished review. It'll probably be up early in the AM.

From the article it seems the judge's bases for suppression were an inadequate warrant and insufficient minimization procedures. This was Kraft's argument. The potential hook on appeal is this is essentially a first impression when it comes to this type of warrant for Florida law.

Otherwise, no, this video is never going to come to light. It's under a temporary protective order right now, and that will be made permanent barring any appeal as it's fruit of the poisonous tree.

The judge didn't rule on the privacy invasion because Kraft has no privacy expectation when he's committing an offense.

E: Just thought of something - this is at the county court level. This is the absolute lowest trial level. If the state appeals, this may just go to circuit court down the hall to one of the other local judges. They have to go through that first before they get to an actual appellate panel.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 14, 2019

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Cool search law that you can claim that a search is illegal based on the breach of someone else's rights

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

If only.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

The order isn't public yet as the clerk hasn't finished review. It'll probably be up early in the AM.

From the article it seems the judge's bases for suppression were an inadequate warrant and insufficient minimization procedures. This was Kraft's argument. The potential hook on appeal is this is essentially a first impression when it comes to this type of warrant for Florida law.

Otherwise, no, this video is never going to come to light. It's under a temporary protective order right now, and that will be made permanent barring any appeal as it's fruit of the poisonous tree.

The judge didn't rule on the privacy invasion because Kraft has no privacy expectation when he's committing an offense.

E: Just thought of something - this is at the county court level. This is the absolute lowest trial level. If the state appeals, this may just go to circuit court down the hall to one of the other local judges. They have to go through that first before they get to an actual appellate panel.

They've fleshed out the article on espn since my post. It looks like it was a surreptitious video recording of the inside of the business. I thought it was something else. Like if you rob a Target, you can't move to suppress Target's surveillance video (well, you can, but I'd oppose and you'd lose). This was a more of a wiretap.

Still, I didn't know "did not do enough to minimize the invasion of privacy of other customers," could be a valid path to suppression. Invading the privacy of others is the whole point of a search warrant! Because people have a reasonable expectation of privacy! There must be more to it. Maybe there are special wiretap rules, I bet that's it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
It's so interesting to see what kind of procedural buggery actually matters to your courts. Over here, procedure fuckups usually tie in to time limits, procedural fuckups with the courts (such as selecting lay judges from a non-random pool) and issues of prosecutorial authority (three part system in which police prosecutors have this complex and dumb system to determine where prosecutorial authority lies). The policemen themselves can pretty much do whatever the gently caress they want, and there's no such thing as fruit of the poison tree thing. No way would I ever get evidence from a traffic stop suppressed under any circumstances, I don't think I can even cite you a case where that's happened.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BigHead posted:

They've fleshed out the article on espn since my post. It looks like it was a surreptitious video recording of the inside of the business. I thought it was something else. Like if you rob a Target, you can't move to suppress Target's surveillance video (well, you can, but I'd oppose and you'd lose). This was a more of a wiretap.

Still, I didn't know "did not do enough to minimize the invasion of privacy of other customers," could be a valid path to suppression. Invading the privacy of others is the whole point of a search warrant! Because people have a reasonable expectation of privacy! There must be more to it. Maybe there are special wiretap rules, I bet that's it.

The thing is, it might not be a valid path to suppression. The prosecution dropped the ball. This is a matter of first impression in FL, and they let Kraft’s people tell the only story.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

a criminal defendant in a case I'm monitoring just made the argument that solitary confinement is unconstitutional because Jesus absolved him of all his sins

I'm not redacting anything this poo poo's on Pacer and it owns. my favorite excerpts:

my only criticism is that there's only 5 pages of this poo poo, usually sovcits don't stop until they run out of paper

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I, the living being and not the ENS LEGIS SUI JURIS ex post facto, am not subject to the laws and corporate policies and procedures of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Also putting me in jail is a violation of my rights under the US Constitution. Furthermore and hereinafter,

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

a criminal defendant in a case I'm monitoring just made the argument that solitary confinement is unconstitutional because Jesus absolved him of all his sins

I'm not redacting anything this poo poo's on Pacer and it owns. my favorite excerpts:

my only criticism is that there's only 5 pages of this poo poo, usually sovcits don't stop until they run out of paper
Paul is a terrible choice for 'get me out of jail.'

State's response: Render unto Caesar or go to hell, bitch! Romans 13 at 1-5.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I, the living being and not the ENS LEGIS SUI JURIS ex post facto, am not subject to the laws and corporate policies and procedures of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Also putting me in jail is a violation of my rights under the US Constitution. Furthermore and hereinafter,

I, Soothing Vapors, living soul and natural person, declare that Charlize Theron refusing to date me violates my 12th Amendment rights

joat mon posted:

Paul is a terrible choice for 'get me out of jail.'

State's response: Render unto Caesar or go to hell, bitch! Romans 13 at 1-5.

lol that's a really good point

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Soothing Vapors posted:

Curious, is it standard to not cite which translation you used in biblical quotes? I guess it doesn't really matter as it's not a legit legal argument lol

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

I, Soothing Vapors, living soul and natural person, declare that Charlize Theron refusing to date me violates my 12th Amendment rights
Those are electors, not erectors.

Plus, it's "Soothing: Vapors, living soul and natural person, the authorized representative for SOOTHING VAPORS ENS LEGIS" You did the spell wrong, so you get Roseanne Barr

Hoshi posted:

Curious, is it standard to not cite which translation you used in biblical quotes? I guess it doesn't really matter as it's not a legit legal argument lol
Good point. SovCits are required to cite to the KJV, not the ESV. Dude should lose for that,

Plus the big one:
He wasn't even citing to Rom 8:28, he was citing Acts 16:26 (God breaks the jail even though Paul was in there for being a dick and disobeying Jesus. Paul stayed in jail anyway until he was released by the earthly authorities)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 14, 2019

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Hoshi posted:

you're supposed to cite the translation, version, editor/publisher, and year I believe but I dont think this dude is blue booking his motions

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Soothing Vapors posted:

lol that's a really good point
Trying to create joinder eh?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

EwokEntourage posted:

you're supposed to cite the translation, version, editor/publisher, and year I believe but I dont think this dude is blue booking his motions

I realized like half an hour ago there's a good chance that dude thinks the Bible was actually written in English

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The Bible was written in English by lily white Anglo Saxons

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

Plus, it's "Soothing: Vapors, living soul and natural person, the authorized representative for SOOTHING VAPORS ENS LEGIS"

I want to feel Soothing Vapors En my Legis

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Defendant admits in his own pleading that there is only illusion of confinement. Illusory confinement is ipso facto not confinement. Confinement is found only in the mind of the unawakened and unsaved. Defendant claims to have been saved. Those who are saved are not, by definition, confined. The temporal, physical world is the world of the flesh and is irrelevant, for Jesus was entombed and did ascend, without necessity of appeal to the arbiters of the physical world. Those who are with Jesus are free, regardless of the state of the body. Defendant is free in the spiritual realm. Should defendant continue in defendant's whining regarding confinement, defendant shall be advised to transcend his limited understanding of the Lord, and git gud with Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Law school a good idea in 2019? I don't know any lawyers and I wasn't sure where to ask.