Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Jimbot posted:

New RDO update

Poker, ponchos, new missions, new gun, new clothes.

Wow this sounds hugely exciting - maybe I'll come back and give it another shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Now put the poncho in single player.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Jimbot posted:

How's the reload animation? Do you pull out a powder horn, put the ball in, pack it with the ram lever then replace the percussion cap?

You use the ram lever to kick out the spent cap and pop another one on :haw:

Mantis42 posted:

Now put the poncho in single player.

Yeah, it sucks Rockstar is doing the same thing they did here they did with GTA5 where all the cool new poo poo for Online never went to single player :(

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

You use the ram lever to kick out the spent cap and pop another one on :haw:

Bah. I honestly expected this yet I'm still disappointed. I don't need elaborate reload animations but if you're not going to put the work in then why bother putting a black powder revolver in the game? There are bazillions of revolvers out there with similar reload mechanisms as the guns you have in the game, so just put those in. Or break space and time and add some semi-automatics that weren't around but would be fun to have anyway (1911, ect.).

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Jimbot posted:

Bah. I honestly expected this yet I'm still disappointed. I don't need elaborate reload animations but if you're not going to put the work in then why bother putting a black powder revolver in the game? There are bazillions of revolvers out there with similar reload mechanisms as the guns you have in the game, so just put those in. Or break space and time and add some semi-automatics that weren't around but would be fun to have anyway (1911, ect.).

I mean at least it's not a complete goofjob like it was in the first game where it was a break open gun like the Schofield :v:

But if you want something a little different with similar mechanisms,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O4msUTg16k

:swoon:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
One dumb question, does the honor system ever really gently caress you over? Like, I'm planning to not go crazy "only bad options" but I do 100% intend to Rob banks and stick up stores and junk. Will I ever wind up, say, unwelcome in a town with this whole reputation system, or is it more traditional gta where everyone's all "hey there's the guy that robbed our store and killed all those cops...well he got away so who are we to judge?"

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

One dumb question, does the honor system ever really gently caress you over? Like, I'm planning to not go crazy "only bad options" but I do 100% intend to Rob banks and stick up stores and junk. Will I ever wind up, say, unwelcome in a town with this whole reputation system, or is it more traditional gta where everyone's all "hey there's the guy that robbed our store and killed all those cops...well he got away so who are we to judge?"

Beyond atmospheric stuff I think there's some honor locked clothing maybe? It's not much, go hog wild

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Sort of spoilery but, you're a gang of outlaws and bank robbery is probably inevitable.

You will get a bank robbery mission at some point. Make sure you get all the safes as it's dark in there, the gang will be pressuring you to leave, and will happily let you walk out without getting all the money. It's the biggest score in the game and you probably want get all of it.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

it only becomes massively relevant to determining what late game side quests are available and the ending you get. but by that point you’ll know you’re closing in and there are several sidequest chains where you can swing your honor all the way one direction or another so you’re not hosed

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

I mean at least it's not a complete goofjob like it was in the first game where it was a break open gun like the Schofield :v:

But if you want something a little different with similar mechanisms,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O4msUTg16k

:swoon:

That sure is a fine revolver.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Jimbot posted:

That sure is a fine revolver.

Yeah they're super radical, wouldn't mind getting one some time.

Also this shotgun barrel is a riot

https://i.imgur.com/2MDmppS.gifv

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

One dumb question, does the honor system ever really gently caress you over? Like, I'm planning to not go crazy "only bad options" but I do 100% intend to Rob banks and stick up stores and junk. Will I ever wind up, say, unwelcome in a town with this whole reputation system...

Sort of. I went kill crazy in Valentine once and even though my honor wasn't bottomed out, the next time I was there, everyone was really hostile to me. I went over to the campground area and used a fire to craft something and a guy there immediately became aggressive and attacked me. With the way the game works, retaliating when you aren't the aggressor has no bearing on anything and you'll be treated as a criminal, so it wasn't ideal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Other than the lack of honor hit, seems pretty accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra0-SDmtX4k

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Haven't played online since it came out, has it changed much?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Foehammer007 posted:

yo check it

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Foehammer007 posted:

I played a bit last night. Poker is easy money because no one seems to know how to play.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I still haven't found a moose lol, fml

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Just lol at these pathetic attempts to keep RDO alive.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My advice to all new RDR2 players is that it’s a “life in an anarchist commune” simulator. Treat it that way and you’ll find the game a lot more interesting and the story more engrossing. Try to do whiz bang action all the time and you’ll be frustrated at every turn.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

With this patch, it’s officially out of beta so maybe it’ll be good now

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Is overrun a new addition? That is actually pretty fun - it's basically capture multiple flags by running through a fire lit next to them. Pretty easy and fast.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I'm not a super-regular player but are there any goon posse's in RDR2 for PS4?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

Is overrun a new addition? That is actually pretty fun - it's basically capture multiple flags by running through a fire lit next to them. Pretty easy and fast.

I really like King of the Castle. If you ignore the castle objective and find a nice spot, you can pick off other players as they run for the objective and rack up a nice K/D ratio.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Another Bill posted:

I really like King of the Castle. If you ignore the castle objective and find a nice spot, you can pick off other players as they run for the objective and rack up a nice K/D ratio.

I don't think I've played that yet...you can do the same thing in Overrun too on a couple of the maps.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Foehammer007 posted:

I managed to play for a quick 25 minutes without getting randomly attacked by the people I met!
There are new co-op missions, so that's nice?
Going to try my hand at poker later!

titties
May 10, 2012

Comfortador posted:

I'm not a super-regular player but are there any goon posse's in RDR2 for PS4?

Posses work kind of like CEO or MC organizations do in GTAO in that they're on-demand and anyone can have one.

There is LLJK, the R* social club crew that many of us use, you can apply in this thread.

We have a goon community on PSN, as well as a group text chat that we use to organize. Add me on PSN and I will invite you, PSN: mr_dread

Leave a note for me in the message line when you send a friend request so I know you're not a heinous pubbie.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Really hope they actually implement gangs or whatnot in the future. Even just a group camp that's up when one of you is on and you can contribute to it.

E: Noticed that the game automatically puts you in offensive mode when you log in. This is even if you set it to defensive in a previous session.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 15, 2019

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Actually seems like there's some halfway decent poo poo on the horizon, especially with the implementation of specific roles.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Defensive mode is a good addition but it still feels like a half step. Ostensibly people who choose that option are doing it because they don’t want to be murdered by strangers, but if I’m reading the notes correctly, it stops just short of that; you can’t be lassoed, and you can’t be auto-aimed at, but strangers can still murder you if they want it enough. Why not just make you immune to open world pvp entirely (outside of events where that’s part of the game)?

titties
May 10, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Defensive mode is a good addition but it still feels like a half step. Ostensibly people who choose that option are doing it because they don’t want to be murdered by strangers, but if I’m reading the notes correctly, it stops just short of that; you can’t be lassoed, and you can’t be auto-aimed at, but strangers can still murder you if they want it enough. Why not just make you immune to open world pvp entirely (outside of events where that’s part of the game)?

I think it also gives you some slight damage reduction. I'm kind of into it, actually, I mean the atmosphere and setting really loses something if it feels "safe". I'm a hella carebear immersive player who mostly just wants to find fun ways to interact with the world and help my friends grind cash but even I want a little spice, you know?

Making others have to go out of their way to kill you and getting a big boost to their visibility when you press charges against them means that at least the laziest opportunists will probably just leave you alone and you have a decent warning of who's going to be a cock and who will probably be chill.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

One thing is that the game really does offer you sort of handcrafted open world experiences.

There is a selection of coach robberies and specific shops to rob with little narratives to the robbery. There are really clear robbery victims like a shepherd you can hogtie so you can get some mutton, gold diggers who make good finds that you can free them of, and so on. The fence system for stolen wagons and horses is not great in terms of offering money, but kind of fun to get a sense of routine of Arthur going out, smoking a cigarette on the side of a road, pulling up his mask, and pulling a shotgun on a passing coach.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

Eh, it seems to be working so far. I've been in multiple towns, and there are a lot more players just hanging out. In the past, it's always just been constant gunfights.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I guess the important question is if you can still get a knife in the ear while you're just minding your business fishing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I mean I haven’t played RDO in ages so maybe in practice defensive mode is good enough to dissuade the murderers from coming at you at all. It just seems odd that they’d go “we understand that there’s a contingent of players who don’t want to be murdered, and we’re going to give you 90% of that” when it’s probably just simpler to have an option to turn open world pvp damage off entirely.

But if it works it works I guess, whatever

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnline/comments/boyore/id_say_defensive_mode_is_effective/ Is a good video of defensive mode in action. Most of my deaths have happened because of this very same situation too (because the minimap disappears when you fish).

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

How do you press charges against someone? Some red dotted dick killed me and when I killed him back he pressed charges against me. I didn’t have that option any where - is it level locked? I’m only like a 10.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I’m a huge moron but how do you turn on defensive mode.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Nash posted:

I’m a huge moron but how do you turn on defensive mode.

It’s under the player menu (hold down the left directional arrow) under online options. It’s kind of buried.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
People really can’t play poker online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Chuds McGreedy posted:

People really can’t play poker online

Yeah if you're vaguely aquainted with poker, like maybe you played 3-4 times, expect to clean up.