Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Loving the text box being bigger the the title box

Gah thanks you son of a bitch, now that will never go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That's a line of powder falling from the turret top to the magazine.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Same guy who made the ship made the pop-up. Hardly a surprise.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is really pissing me off.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

V for Vegas posted:

This is really pissing me off.

What is pissing me off in this moment:

quote:

404 Not Found
The requested URL /files/SAI/RTW2Demo_Setup.exe was not found on this server.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just tried downloading the installer version and it worked for me :shrug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
They didn't spring for the additional bandwidth :grin:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Alikchi posted:

What is pissing me off in this moment:

http://www.navalwarfare.net/files/SAI/RTW2Demo_Setup.zip

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Wish they'd spring for an HTTPS cert.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Thanks!

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
didn't they say something about being able to do the line-art for your fighter designs? how do I do that?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

OddObserver posted:

Wish they'd spring for an HTTPS cert.

They are literally free. There's no reason not to have one these days.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I opened it up and clicked around for a bit but no idea what I was doing or how to start a cool naval battle. The ship designer is intimidating (I know that's kinda the point but still, it's hard to get a foothold).

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Hypnobeard posted:

They are literally free. There's no reason not to have one these days.

I said that it was perfectly secure in 1996, so it is perfectly secure now. What part of this aren't you getting?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Gewehr 43 posted:

I said that it was perfectly secure in 1996, so it is perfectly secure now. What part of this aren't you getting?

puts on pickelhaube

Right! Ignore that! Grog grog grog grog! Yarr!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So a test run of the rtw2 authenticity system for my reviewers copy took 10 mins to get the key back.
Of course, that may well be because there are not many review copies.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A small part of me is amazed they’re doing review copies.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A small part of me is amazed they’re doing review copies.

well with variable techs on, they never discovered tier 3 Storefront techs, but their Pre-Release Doctrines was untouched

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
[]

Here we go! a 1920 start, where I go from seaplane carriers to CVL crusier conversions!

proper text based LP coming in a few days, when everyone else can get their hands on it!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, $5 off if you owned RTW and preorder... But no preorders.

Where can I buy stupid game with emailed code?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

MrYenko posted:

So, $5 off if you owned RTW and preorder... But no preorders.

Where can I buy stupid game with emailed code?

No preorders. Just the discount. Which will be processed as a $5 refund.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Pirate Radar posted:

Hahah christ.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Pirate Radar posted:

calling a refund a discount is disingenuous, they need to stop calling it a discount and just call it a $5 refund, but hey we all know how dumb and bad they are, the even hosed up making a good demo

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Haven't had a chance yet, what's wrong with the demo?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

There is a bug that affects aviation strikes, you can't build a CVL or a CV, planes are being made with negative speeds, ships with seaplanes have to come to a stop to launch seaplanes, unspecified errors.

On the plus side the secondary turrets move with super structure and turret placements

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ships with seaplanes having to stop makes sense cause they have to crane the plane into the water so it can take off.

Unless you mean catapult launched seaplanes.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

You're right, it was exactly that, it's a mechanic that makes since on paper and historically, that is bad for gameplay

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The manual would probably be helpful, too (unless it's available and I just missed it?)

But also I started as Japan in 1920 and had a hard time doing anything Air than building some land bases and converting cruisers to have scout planes which I couldn't get to launch.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Tythas posted:

You're right, it was exactly that, it's a mechanic that makes since on paper and historically, that is bad for gameplay

Welcome to historical war games? Do you think they should ignore that detail?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
The game does all the launch operation automatically once you set them up as far as I can tell, including stopping or turning to the wind to launch. And I think you can't research purpose built carrier within the demo timeframes and have to convert from old hull.

A small strike of some interwar biplane is surprisingly effective. A strike force of 18 TB managed to land 3 torpedoes hits with a loss of 2 planes to AA fire and 2 to accident in my first ever actual carrier use in combat.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

I wouldn't say ignore it but make a better mechanic for it, like start with the ship already stopped or the float plane already launched at least,with the option to launch more, at least a better mechanic to it that lends to smoother gameplay while still being historically accurate.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Tythas posted:

Is it too late to change the thread title?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

The demo's great, I played through it about 3 times. The one thing I can already tell is going to be really annoying though is retrofitting all your ships with anti-aircraft guns. It's a really easy thing to forgot to do and it takes loving forever to get your entire fleet. I feel like AA rebuilds should be something the player should be allowed to automate.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The restrictions regarding building your first CV are bullshit!!!!!

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

The restrictions regarding building your first CV are bullshit!!!!!

I wonder if they did that just for the demo or because they actually forgot that the Hoshu and the Hermes existed in 1920

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The answer is stupider

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

sum posted:

I wonder if they did that just for the demo or because they actually forgot that the Hoshu and the Hermes existed in 1920

Uh excuse me, Langley? She’s not just a coal bucket (anymore) you know. :colbert:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

OddObserver posted:

The manual would probably be helpful, too (unless it's available and I just missed it?)

The manual is in the demo's files. There's a manual folder.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

pedro0930 posted:

The game does all the launch operation automatically once you set them up as far as I can tell, including stopping or turning to the wind to launch. And I think you can't research purpose built carrier within the demo timeframes and have to convert from old hull.

A small strike of some interwar biplane is surprisingly effective. A strike force of 18 TB managed to land 3 torpedoes hits with a loss of 2 planes to AA fire and 2 to accident in my first ever actual carrier use in combat.

Ships without catapults have to be manually told to stop in order to crane the planes into the water (to be clear, having to stop is historical and realistic, I have no problem there) but also even that often doesn’t work because they forgot to test launching planes from ships without catapults.

When asked why they made the demo 1920 instead of some other year they made it clear that it’s actually a lot of work for them to set up a new start date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

[]

Here we go! a 1920 start, where I go from seaplane carriers to CVL crusier conversions!

proper text based LP coming in a few days, when everyone else can get their hands on it!

Thanks for the video! First thing I noticed was the world map still has all the c. 2000 political boundaries. Never change, grog devs.