Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Is this real? At some point it starts to feel like satire, but then again... *waves hands at everything going on right now*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I loved First Class and I think it’s the best of the X-Men films, so I don’t really understand why it got a bunch of praise when it first came out and now everyone’s forgotten it exists.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

I loved First Class and I think it’s the best of the X-Men films, so I don’t really understand why it got a bunch of praise when it first came out and now everyone’s forgotten it exists.

There have been so many superhero movies since then.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

There have been so many superhero movies since then.

True, but even amongst the X-Men movies. Everyone’s like “aw yeah X2 and DOFP! gently caress First Class tho” and I’m like :confused:

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
There's a lot of corny stuff in First Class but Matthew Vaughn gives no fucks and the cast is great so it works.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
First Class fuckin' owns. My favorite ridiculous thing in it is, I mean I know who the guy is in the comics but just going by the movie itself, uh, some kind of dapper Satan is around and Emma Frost can whistle whenever she needs him to teleport someone somewhere for her? :laffo:

They killed Darwin though and that they killed Darwin and the way it was done will forever mar and otherwise very good movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

First Class really does own, and Kevin Bacon is amazing in it. I just wish Emma Frost was played by anyone else. She has negative charisma in that movie (I never watched Mad Men, so I have no idea how she is in anything else). I swear to god, I think they killed the character in between movies so they had an easy excuse to not have to use her again.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I like First Class because apart from 5 second Wolverine cameo it's completely it's own film and separate from the increasingly convoluted X-Men movies. It felt really fresh and different at the time, I really liked the 60s aesthetic, and I loved it.

CityMidnightJunky fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 14, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I really liked the 69s aesthetic

:agreed:

Also, nice

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
First Class was a period piece with superheroes and that was enough to set it apart at the time.

The idea that Chuck fucks up the first team he assembles is good and close to comics accurate too.

But the sequel pretty much said "Yeah gently caress all that noise, just remember the big points" so it's not surprising it's been forgotten.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Well, it was also taken over by Bryan Singer, and he wanted to go back to making Bryan Singer X-Men movies. Days of Future Past is pretty good (and I like that take on Quicksilver), although it's not anywhere near as stylized or fun as First Class. Apocalypse is a shitshow, but I liked the casting for Scott Summers, Jean Grey, young Storm, and Nightcrawler. Also, Oscar Isaac is no Ivan Ooze.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

thrawn527 posted:

First Class really does own, and Kevin Bacon is amazing in it. I just wish Emma Frost was played by anyone else. She has negative charisma in that movie (I never watched Mad Men, so I have no idea how she is in anything else). I swear to god, I think they killed the character in between movies so they had an easy excuse to not have to use her again.

Did they kill Emma Frost, though? I know they killed Insect Girl and Not Nightcrawler's Dad from the pictures Mystique looks at in DOFP but I'm extremely bad at catching Easter eggs like that, it seems. I googled what happened to Banshee and apparently it was mentioned somewhere in DOFP that he was killed and I'm like ???

Anyway, Havoc lives and that's all that matters.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Grendels Dad posted:

Did they kill Emma Frost, though? I know they killed Insect Girl and Not Nightcrawler's Dad from the pictures Mystique looks at in DOFP but I'm extremely bad at catching Easter eggs like that, it seems. I googled what happened to Banshee and apparently it was mentioned somewhere in DOFP that he was killed and I'm like ???

Anyway, Havoc lives and that's all that matters.

https://xmenmovies.fandom.com/wiki/Emma_Frost

quote:

Erik mentions that Emma Frost, along with Azazel and Angel Salvadore, had been killed in 1963 and blames Charles for their deaths. She was most likely among those experimented on and killed by Bolivar Trask, since Mystique seeks revenge on Trask and a Sentinel is shown to use her powers.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Oh right, Magneto mentioned her, thanks. I wouldn't have connected that back to Trask or the Sentinels, those seemed to have pretty generic countering powers. I guess I assumed that Frost was just killed in a nondescript mission and then quickly forgot.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Dark Phoenix kinda makes no sense to me as a follow up to Apocalypse. It just seems like a rehash of Apocalypse crossed with a rehash of X3, two disappointing movies nobody gives a gently caress about.

Is it a science experiment to see exactly how blatantly we can get Jennifer Lawrence to phone it in?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The real question is why do they keep letting Bryan Singer come back.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The real question is why do they keep letting Bryan Singer come back.

He's not directing it?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

He's not even producing anymore. Dark Phoenix is Simon Kinberg making his debut as director.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
For some reason I thought he was but I still think my question is a valid one.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The worst part about the X-Men prequels is how the further the series gets along, the more they lose being stylized for the decade they are supposed to be in. First Class trying to copy a 60s Bond aesthetic, Days of Future Past made less effort but the movie (in the past parts) generally felt like the 70s, then Apocalypse poo poo the bed and kind of referenced the 80s but really missed what the previous 2 (especially First Class) films were doing with their eras.

Can't wait for Dark Phoenix to reference the 90s with a pop song and not much else. If they aren't going to do more than reference pop culture, they should have the next film set a decade later. Especially when they don't make effort to have the actors look 10 years older than the previous film.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Spacebump posted:

The worst part about the X-Men prequels is how the further the series gets along, the more they lose being stylized for the decade they are supposed to be in. First Class trying to copy a 60s Bond aesthetic, Days of Future Past made less effort but the movie (in the past parts) generally felt like the 70s, then Apocalypse poo poo the bed and kind of referenced the 80s but really missed what the previous 2 (especially First Class) films were doing with their eras.

Can't wait for Dark Phoenix to reference the 90s with a pop song and not much else. If they aren't going to do more than reference pop culture, they should have the next film set a decade later. Especially when they don't make effort to have the actors look 10 years older than the previous film.

Lazier than Captain Marvel on that front is my guess.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

His two movies were profitable.

However, I think Jennifer Lawrence signed on for another movie specifically because Singer wasn't involved.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Rewatching Homecoming and I now agree with everyone about their complaints with Tony mentoring Pete.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bogus Adventure posted:

His two movies were profitable.

However, I think Jennifer Lawrence signed on for another movie specifically because Singer wasn't involved.

Both her contract and Fassbender's were up after Apocalypse, and Lawrence in particular had been vocal about hating both the makeup and the low pay (Fox struck gold by signing them to three-movie deals just before they got huge, Lawrence in particular). Occam's Razor suggests that they agreed because Fox dumped a truck full of cash on their front doors, and in Lawrence's case agreed to simplify her makeup even more and also be written out of the movie 15-20 minutes into it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timby posted:

Both her contract and Fassbender's were up after Apocalypse, and Lawrence in particular had been vocal about hating both the makeup and the low pay (Fox struck gold by signing them to three-movie deals just before they got huge, Lawrence in particular). Occam's Razor suggests that they agreed because Fox dumped a truck full of cash on their front doors, and in Lawrence's case agreed to simplify her makeup even more and also be written out of the movie 15-20 minutes into it.

There's a long and illustrious history of good actors getting paid heaps of money to not give a poo poo about comic book movies

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spacebump posted:

Can't wait for Dark Phoenix to reference the 90s with a pop song and not much else.
The post-credits stinger will be a few guys in a garage strumming some chords that sound like a rough Smells Like Teen Spirit and someone else going "Aw cmon Kurt get serious" and then when the dude in a hand-me-down cardigan looks up you get the Mystique Eyes for 3 frames.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He's only had one outright flop since going full studio journeyman with X-Men, and it's Jack The Giant Slayer, which god only knows why that movie was made in the first place (yes, I know, it's 100% because of Alice in Wonderland being a billion-grosser). Otherwise he pulls in a solid near half a billion to almost a billion every time he puts something out at this point.

Like, somehow, despite the absolute garbage end product, Bohemian Rhapsody broke $900 million worldwide. No, I don't get it either, I didn't think that people were clamoring that bad for the dumbest version of the Queen story.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Timby posted:

I saw this when I double-checked whether Singer was involved in Dark Phoenix:

https://www.newsarama.com/37682-no-singer-no-chaos-on-x-men-dark-phoenix-set-says-lawrence.html

quote:

According to Lawrence, she made the right decision - and feels "more connected to her character than ever before" - because the set of X-Men: Dark Phoenix was markedly different from her previous experiences making X-Men films, which she described to Entertainment Weekly as "fun amidst chaos."

“It was unrecognizable,” Lawrence explained of the Dark Phoenix set. “Everything was on time. Everything was organized. These movies have always been fun amidst chaos, and now they were fun with no chaos.”

Lawrence didn't spell out the x-factor that drove previous movies into disarray, but EW drew a line between Lawrence's comments and the alleged behavior of the franchise's previous director Bryan Singer, who has also been accused of sexual harassment and absences on the set of previous films. Singer directed all of Lawrence's previous X-Men films except X-Men: First Class.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Singer threw a chair at Halle Berry on the set of X2 (or threw a chair at the ground within "bouncing" distance of Halle, depending on the story) and was known for screaming rage fits if things went wrong or time was running low on the day, if people are wondering about stories of on-set behavior that isn't "he's trying to gently caress a teenage boy instead of make the movie he's being paid to make".

He's a nasty little poo poo of a person who gets pretty tyrannical unless there's someone who can put him in his place on set. He was evidently absolutely a perfectly good boy making Valkyrie - on set, anyway - but then again, his lead actor was also his producer and could fire him without even stepping away from his mark if Singer stepped out of line; and in the end, Cruise ended up clicking with writer Chris McQuarrie instead, as evidenced by making three more movies with him and zero more with Singer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Cameo posted:

Singer threw a chair at Halle Berry on the set of X2 (or threw a chair at the ground within "bouncing" distance of Halle, depending on the story) and was known for screaming rage fits if things went wrong or time was running low on the day, if people are wondering about stories of on-set behavior that isn't "he's trying to gently caress a teenage boy instead of make the movie he's being paid to make".

He's a nasty little poo poo of a person who gets pretty tyrannical unless there's someone who can put him in his place on set. He was evidently absolutely a perfectly good boy making Valkyrie - on set, anyway - but then again, his lead actor was also his producer and could fire him without even stepping away from his mark if Singer stepped out of line; and in the end, Cruise ended up clicking with writer Chris McQuarrie instead, as evidenced by making three more movies with him and zero more with Singer.

I love that McQuarrie got so many gigs. It was going to be tragic for 'The Way of the Gun' to be his only directing credit.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Cameo posted:

And worst of all? He never used the Magneto theme from First Class in any of the sequels he directed.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I thought worst of all was raping kids.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

No its definitely the Magneto theme thing

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bedshaped posted:

I thought worst of all was raping kids.

Guess what music he did it to?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Surprisingly the theme from Gremlins

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

X Gon’ Give it to Ya?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Doom Patrol finally did it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm3x0HWHQBc

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The only problem I have with Doom Patrol is that they'll never cross over with Legends of Tomorrow.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

OMG Flex Mentallo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Edward Mass posted:

The only problem I have with Doom Patrol is that they'll never cross over with Legends of Tomorrow.

Berlanti is producing it, so there's a teeny tiny chance...