Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gimme the rundown on what's hot in the rpglb archives, the statgazers and robotrek runs were aces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

gimme the rundown on what's hot in the rpglb archives, the statgazers and robotrek runs were aces

Super Hydlide: The Musical, starring Mike Uyama.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Captain Invictus posted:

I really liked the Dragon Quest 3 race from 2018. Also the Phantasy Star 4 run.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ah I meant from the one that just ended, sorry

and the super hydlide one is decent yeah

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
dat sims run on frame fatale right now: :stare:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

That's certainly a category one can run in Sims 4

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dont know poo poo about rom hacking, but im kinda digging this tutorial session

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

was the "random boomer accidentally figures out the most important speedrun mechanic for goldeneye" an early april fools prank or did that legit happen because if it did that's gotta be the best speedrun discovery.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

was the "random boomer accidentally figures out the most important speedrun mechanic for goldeneye" an early april fools prank or did that legit happen because if it did that's gotta be the best speedrun discovery.

that actually happened. he read "put your head down and run" as a strategy for something and thought it meant look down, and it turned out he discovered that you reduce lag by doing that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ge64 runners must be kind of dumb because kids figured that out during casual play 20 years ago

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
This TAS submission is everything that is cool about video games and speedrunning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoEFp5RBVfY
http://tasvideos.org/6347S.html

Inputs were discovered with a brute force attack. The submission text is a fantastic tale.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 14, 2019

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

SeXReX posted:

This TAS submission is everything that is cool about video games and speedrunning

Inputs were discovered with a brute force attack. The submission text is a fantastic tale.

hell ya this is dope as poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
christ that started to give me anxiety, but it rules

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SeXReX posted:

What I find crazy is

2 levels were already optimal and one was only 5 frames off

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i can't believe theres like, an ending to that game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

site posted:

i can't believe theres like, an ending to that game

The premise of the sequel, Doh It Again, is that Doh is still alive and hunting the colony ship that the paddle-scout is protecting while it finds a new homeworld.

No, really.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I've been seeing Arkanoid: Doh It Again near the very top of SNES game lists for over half of my existence and I literally didn't know that it was a Breakout clone until today.

That video above is not particularly impressive as TASes go...until you read the story behind it. Don't be like me and watch the video first; read the tasvideos.org page first!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

timp posted:

I've been seeing Arkanoid: Doh It Again near the very top of SNES game lists for over half of my existence and I literally didn't know that it was a Breakout clone until today.

That video above is not particularly impressive as TASes go...until you read the story behind it. Don't be like me and watch the video first; read the tasvideos.org page first!

I was tempted to make an effort post with a tldr but honestly every single sentence of the page is worth reading

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeXReX posted:

duplicates the entirety of the relevant game logic outside of the game bit for bit, game only has 3 inputs, still needs to make massive assumptions about optimal inputs in order to cut down the runtime to only a year straight of a six core CPU running it

quote:

There's a lot of potential in this type of brute-forcing and I'd love to see this happen for more games.

I think this dude just wants others to suffer too :v:

But seriously that’s extremely impressive just in terms of pure dedication.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's so satisfying when the stages wrap up and the three balls (moving in totally different directions) hit the three final bricks (in totally different places) in unison.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Here's a comparison of it and the previous one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETVtesaYKts

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Last night in MegaMan 7...

https://twitter.com/TheSuperSNES/status/1128131282238672901

General community response has been "PJ what the gently caress"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Everybody posted:

PJ what the gently caress
:hmmyes:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you know, im actually kinda glad chrono trigger ended up not happening because we're getting several more games in that timeslot. 7+ hour runs are best left for overnighters and stuff imo

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
All the RPGLB VODs are up on their YouTube now https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8PZB25uZuZ6RMA11_QduQUvLa98DhWd9

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

site posted:

you know, im actually kinda glad chrono trigger ended up not happening because we're getting several more games in that timeslot. 7+ hour runs are best left for overnighters and stuff imo
Overnighters for who? There's no single timezone where everyone wants to watch those 7+ hour runs.
I really wish these events would realize that it's a self-perpetuating issue, and that they would get more people watching and donating if they didn't make everyone else suffer while US primetime gets the best stuff.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
long games should just be a second stream thing imo

barring something like rpglb where playing a bunch of long games is the whole point

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think it'd be interesting if they ran a second game (not as a separate stream but as something they'd be checking on occasionally throughout the week) of a Baten Kaitos 100% run but that's just out of morbid curiosity more than anything.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The baten kaitos run is a full week longer then the event itself

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Well that's why you'd split it up between AGDQ 2020 and SGDQ 2020

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

long runs are fun

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

Overnighters for who? There's no single timezone where everyone wants to watch those 7+ hour runs.
I really wish these events would realize that it's a self-perpetuating issue, and that they would get more people watching and donating if they didn't make everyone else suffer while US primetime gets the best stuff.

Hey now this wasn't an issue for neither of the GDQ events for the past year tbh. I've managed to catch a lot of stuff live, including the Awful and Silly blocks and I live in Europe. There's a lot of good runs happening at all times of day. Plus there's a lot of different interest between the continents, Europe is more likely to watch Sega, PC and Playstation games, while US is and always was all about that Nintendo/Xbox stuff. So if you, living in one timezone think "hey that's unfair, this run I get in primetime should be also avaliable to other people" it's very likely someone across the ocean is going "oh good this boring poo poo is in the late night".

Basically, everyone gets a nice chance to watch good runs so don't fret about timezones.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

FirstAidKite posted:

Well that's why you'd split it up between AGDQ 2020 and SGDQ 2020
Literally between. 100% WoW speedrun between the two events.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I would've loved to watch the CT 100% Glitchless run during my graveyard shift at the hospital.

drat you Comcast :negative:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

FirstAidKite posted:

I think it'd be interesting if they ran a second game (not as a separate stream but as something they'd be checking on occasionally throughout the week) of a Baten Kaitos 100% run but that's just out of morbid curiosity more than anything.
This is what Really Really Long a Thon did the first time. The actual Baten Kaitos gameplay was split up into different segments throughout the two weeks but they would show that the game is on and idling while people were playing other long speedruns.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

One of the GDQ events did a Simcity SNES speedrun where they built the city then did another run while the city filled up which was neat

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Booourns posted:

One of the GDQ events did a Simcity SNES speedrun where they built the city then did another run while the city filled up which was neat

This awesome speedrun. It's really good and also a neat look back if anyone hasn't seen what GDQ used to be like in the early days.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Booourns posted:

Apparently a 100% speed run of The Witness involves waiting in one place holding a button down for about an hour, the only video of that run I've ever seen had the player pull in another smaller window and speed run Super Mario Bros. 2 for a while.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/pidgezero_one/status/1129250857214717953

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Better burn would've been linking gdq or nasa