Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

finish the drat movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

King Vidiot posted:

So which is the better "I _____ the Devil" movie, I Saw the Devil or I Trapped the Devil? Because I Saw the Devil was pretty dope, it set the gold standard for "I ______ the Devil" movies.

I Saw, easily

Also Butterfly Kisses is the best found footage since S&MAN

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

MNSNTZR posted:

I sincerely wish people would make more films that just immediately go completely off the rails into concentrated, aggressive surrealism. I feel like I'm stuck watching the same three movies.

Is one of the three Hausu? Because if not, I've got good news.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I finished it. It was okay. I feel a little disappointed with it honestly. I think my biggest issue is the characters. There isn't much there. It's all very very surface level, which wouldn't be bad if poo poo goes bonkers and we're just stuck in it, but it's mostly a character study with characters who don't really deserve it. From the get go I felt a little off because it does that "the end is the beginning" thing that I really don't like, but then it goes to our main characters, and they silently go to a persons house, and you're left wondering what's happening.

Felt like pieces were missing.

The core idea is really awesome, but the film doesn't really do much with it. They wanted to have a mystery build up, but you sorta kinda get what's going on fairly quick, so it just feels it's just moving it's way towards the end without much tension. And then when things do happen, it's just...eh. There's also a weird theme drop at the end about faith and belief, but it's only for that scene and doesn't do anything else.

And then it ends.

But it's super well shot. It looks amazing with all the christmas lights and the reds, greens, and blues. It has a fantastic atmosphere, and a neat premise, which, as far as most movies go, ain't too bad.

I dunno. I wish I liked it more. But it isn't bad at all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
why are we discussing films that arent butterfly kisses, holy poo poo

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I just noticed that Severance is on Shudder. Fun and funny horror flick about a corporate retreat gone horribly wrong, well worth checking out IMO.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Franchescanado posted:

Synecdoche, New York

I love Charlie Kaufman but I havent been able to finish this because its like having a panic attack. As I think of it though, it's probably the closest feeling to what my wife went through while watching Mother! (With our first child being about 1 at the time) so, maybe I just need to Woman Up and finish it...

Edit: Butterfly Kisses was disappointing. The characters were stupid. I really wanted to like it, too.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is one of the three Hausu? Because if not, I've got good news.

It's on the periphery of the three, just like Eraserhead, being that they're older, but I genuinely want some good modern poo poo with modern tools created a la Kuso, When Black Birds Fly and The Greasy Strangler, warts and all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gejimayu posted:

Edit: Butterfly Kisses was disappointing. The characters were stupid. I really wanted to like it, too.

Congrats on being wrong

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Infection or Invasion depending on where you look, this looks tight. Gives me serious Evidence vibes

ATTN: This movie has a 20-minute ending credit sequence. Twenty solid minutes of white text on a black background. Albert Pyun is a national treasure.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

filmcynic posted:

ATTN: This movie has a 20-minute ending credit sequence. Twenty solid minutes of white text on a black background. Albert Pyun is a national treasure.

Yo that whips rear end. Does anyone not like that

Also re butterfly kisses what does she say st the very end? I couldn't make it out

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

filmcynic posted:

ATTN: This movie has a 20-minute ending credit sequence.

Jesus christ, why.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Franchescanado posted:

The Beach Bum is everything but depressing. My favorite flick of the year so far. So loving funny.

So glad to hear this. Korine making a movie where McConaughey plays my dad is very intriguing to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

married but discreet posted:

I'm a huge sucker for cats being given prominent roles in movies, so I thoroughly enjoyed Black Cat. Your Vice... almost lost me due to what happens to the cat (yeah huge warning an animal is graphically wounded in that one).
What are some other cat themed horrors?

Black Cat's Revenge
Cat's Eye
Two Evil Eyes (not seen that one)
Uninvited (not seen either)

The Uncanny, Tales from the Darkside The Movie, Coraline.

E: Roar.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 16, 2019

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

what are the saddest horror movies

deep cuts plz

I don't know if it counts as horror (it's pretty dark) but Lilya 4-Ever is sad as gently caress.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Kvlt! posted:

what are the saddest horror movies

deep cuts plz

Mama

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I need to rewatch this cuz I really liked it in theaters, and it’s got some impressive physical effects.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It's also got Javier Botet, an actor with marfan syndrome, as the monster...to great effect imo

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just watched Waxwork for the first time and holy poo poo that movie owns. I wish I'd found it when I was 15.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I re-watched Candyman last night, I love that movie so much. Are any of the sequels worth checking out?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I just watched Waxwork for the first time and holy poo poo that movie owns. I wish I'd found it when I was 15.

Now watch Waxwork II: Lost in Time, it's ridiculous but it owns. One segment is a riff on The Haunting featuring Bruce Campbell. Also it ends with a rap song about the events of the movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

egon_beeblebrox posted:

This happens to me a lot. Although I feel like my thirst for horror comes from my lack of exposure to horror when I was 15.

gey muckle mowser posted:

I re-watched Candyman last night, I love that movie so much. Are any of the sequels worth checking out?

No

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MNSNTZR posted:

May as well throw Todd Solondz in there if Korine counts.

My two cents, I love Harmony Korine but can't really stand Todd Solondz beyond Welcome to the Dollhouse. It's all just too loving negative.

But Julien Donkey-Boy was one of the most harrowing, horrifying movies I've ever seen. That movie's a goddamn nightmare, but not as much of a nightmare as Clean, Shaven. Now that's real Depressing Cinema.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

man aint that the truth. the ending is downright biblical

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

My two cents, I love Harmony Korine but can't really stand Todd Solondz beyond Welcome to the Dollhouse. It's all just too loving negative.

But Julien Donkey-Boy was one of the most harrowing, horrifying movies I've ever seen. That movie's a goddamn nightmare, but not as much of a nightmare as Clean, Shaven. Now that's real Depressing Cinema.

I watched Julien Donkey-Boy last night, and I think it might be my favorite Korine film. It's pretty horrific and terrifying--to the point that I'd argue it's actually a horror movie--and really alienating. It's not as entertaining as The Beach Bum and Spring Breakers, since a lot of the film's humor (which is there) gets lost in the viewer's pity and despair at the character's situation, but it is his most ambitious, creative and effective film. It's not devoid of optimism, since a major underlying theme is overcoming obstacles you're born with (the armless magician drummer, the blind kids/teens, arguably Pearl's matriarchal role in the family), but that gets lost in the horror that is undiagnosed violent mental illness.

What I really like about Harmony Korine is that he doesn't really seem to believe in God or religion, but he seems to really believe in faith. I dunno if that comes from the way he was raised, or because of his history of substance abuse, but faith vs religion comes up in almost all of his films.

Also, Werner Herzog was terrifying.

Anyway, my main take-away is that it's such an incredibly well made movie that, despite 90% of the movie being disturbing, I could watch this over and over again. I don't know if I've seen a portrait of mental illness that manages to accomplish as much as this movie. Maybe A Page of Madness.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Noroi: The Curse is extremely good. I know it's well known around here but don't sleep on it like I did.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

Noroi: The Curse is extremely good. I know it's well known around here but don't sleep on it like I did.

Noroi is a great example of a director making it look easy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Also, Werner Herzog is terrifying.

Fixed.

I love Werner Herzog, but if I'm ever contacted by the man, I know it's not going to be a good time.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Basebf555 posted:

Remind me what the directors follow up was called. Not Shirome. The one with THAT ending.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

I watched Julien Donkey-Boy last night, and I think it might be my favorite Korine film. It's pretty horrific and terrifying--to the point that I'd argue it's actually a horror movie--and really alienating. It's not as entertaining as The Beach Bum and Spring Breakers, since a lot of the film's humor (which is there) gets lost in the viewer's pity and despair at the character's situation, but it is his most ambitious, creative and effective film. It's not devoid of optimism, since a major underlying theme is overcoming obstacles you're born with (the armless magician drummer, the blind kids/teens, arguably Pearl's matriarchal role in the family), but that gets lost in the horror that is undiagnosed violent mental illness.

What I really like about Harmony Korine is that he doesn't really seem to believe in God or religion, but he seems to really believe in faith. I dunno if that comes from the way he was raised, or because of his history of substance abuse, but faith vs religion comes up in almost all of his films.

Also, Werner Herzog was terrifying.

Anyway, my main take-away is that it's such an incredibly well made movie that, despite 90% of the movie being disturbing, I could watch this over and over again. I don't know if I've seen a portrait of mental illness that manages to accomplish as much as this movie. Maybe A Page of Madness.

Check out the aforementioned Clean, Shaven and also definitely Safe

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

weekly font posted:

Remind me what the directors follow up was called. Not Shirome. The one with THAT ending.

Occult

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

weekly font posted:

Occult

I'm also a big fan of Cult, another flick by him. Still need to check out his grudge vs ring. Need more Koji in my life.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Iron Crowned posted:

Fixed.

I love Werner Herzog, but if I'm ever contacted by the man, I know it's not going to be a good time.

I'm extremely hype for the Mandalorian Star Wars tv series that's happening because he's been hyping it up a lot because it supposedly has a lot of practical camera work and set trickery instead of being all green screen and that he'll be playing a person in two or three episodes "whom you cannot trust." I mean given the absolute zero fucks attitude he's always had when talking about Hollywood and big budget stuff in general if he dislikes it it was kind of crazy to see him leveling this amount of praise at the production even if it is something he's involved in.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 16, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

Check out the aforementioned Clean, Shaven and also definitely Safe

Both are on my Watchlist, but I'll try to get to them sooner. Thanks!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm extremely hype for the Mandalorian Star Wars tv series that's happening because he's been hyping it up a lot because it supposedly has a lot of practical camera work and set trickery instead of being all green screen and that he'll be playing a person in two or three episodes "whom you cannot trust." I mean given the absolute zero fucks attitude he's always had when talking about Hollywood and big budget stuff in general if he dislikes it it was kind of crazy to see him leveling this amount of praise at the production even if it is something he's involved in.

Even the Mandalorian's ship is a 3D printed model composited in rather than purely CGI. And it has an IG-11 assassin droid voiced by Taika Waititi. And an episode directed by Taika Waititi.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you went back in time and told 70s/80s Herzog that he would one day be a Star Wars character he'd probably shoot you in the face.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm so sick of Star Wars these days, but the Mandalorian is the only Star Wars I have any interest in.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Fixed.

He seems chill in interviews. :shrug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

He seems chill in interviews. :shrug:

He's chill now, but that's because he's Seen Some poo poo.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

gey muckle mowser posted:

IT WAS ALWAYS YOU, GEY MUCKLE MOWSER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

As I've finally broke down and made a Twitter account to keep up on horror news, what's this about a reboot of SAW with Chris Rock?