Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

Is it any more expensive than a normal burger?

Both are much more expensive than ground beef in my area. At the supermarket 2 175g patties are $8.99 so $18 for a family of 4 vs about $9 for that amount of beef. But I expect as supply ramps up price will go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
One way or the other they’ll be cheaper than meat soon. Just bought some BYOND shares, thanks for the post, Rime!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

VideoGameVet posted:

WetBulb temps are measured (at least as I remember it) by having a thermometer on a stick with a handle that allows you to spin it, and with wet cotton on the 'bulb' of the thermometer. It tells you how much you can cool with evaporation. There are more advanced devices nowadays.

If it exceeds 95ºF you will die. There was some areas in the Persian Gulf that approached this recently.

When I did temperature reading and logging for heat-stress management we used this:

The bulb on the left records radiant heating, the middle is a distilled water reservoir with a wick that tracks evaporative cooling, and the right bulb is air temp.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Conspiratiorist posted:

Like 45%

On a desert deep in the continent, the threat is dehydration and getting loving fried by the heat; high wet-bulb temperatures are a threat for tropical and subtropical areas.

ED: Phoenix is dying within 10-20 years anyway.

Phoenix is getting wetter. Im worried were gonna get hit with rain during a hot period and flash past the 35 wet bulb limit. I guess we have better ac service than the persian gulf. But homeless or near homeless people gonna get wrecked

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

thewalk posted:

I find the wet bulb wikipedia confusing.

tl;dr: Sweat cools by evaporation. At 100% humidity, sweat can't evaporate.

quote:

How much humidity does it take at 115F before your going to die?

According to this calculator, ~47%.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rime posted:

loving gently caress me sideways, I missed the Beyond Meat IPO last week while I was loving around in Sandon, and it's already gained 200%. :negative:

This is a nice little trampoline for me to bounce into the thread. My wife and I want to stuff some cash into companies trying to address climate issues and it's hard to come up with even basic lists. You try to look up stuff related to water and just get some water utilities or something. Trying to go with "climate change" in a search will just get you droned out with feel-good stuff from huge corporations. Does anybody have some list? Are there specific buzzwords and jargon I'm supposed to use?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Accretionist posted:

tl;dr: Sweat cools by evaporation. At 100% humidity, sweat can't evaporate.

According to this calculator, ~47%.

I've bike commuted in absurd temperatures (112ºF last summer), and once worked for a bike tour company in Virginia one summer, but even acclimation isn't going to save me when we get to these levels.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

thewalk posted:

Phoenix is getting wetter. Im worried were gonna get hit with rain during a hot period and flash past the 35 wet bulb limit. I guess we have better ac service than the persian gulf. But homeless or near homeless people gonna get wrecked

I suspect you've never experienced what high heat in the humid tropic is like. 85-90F, at 80% humidity, at night, and that's just a normal mean summer.

gently caress yeah that kind of poo poo would kill a whole bunch of Americans that have never even seen the ocean in their lives, but it's not what we're talking about here.

Phoenix is becoming inhospitable but its not because of high wet bulb temperatures.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 15, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I was in New Delhi India a few weeks back with 110f.

Even after three bottles of water in the morning I felt no need to use the restroom.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I was in New Delhi India a few weeks back with 110f.

Even after three bottles of water in the morning I felt no need to use the restroom.

How was the air quality

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If anywhere in the US is likely going to get hosed by the combination of lethal high heat and humidity, it'll be the gulf coast. Houston regularly already has high 90s to low 100s raw temperature days and very high humidity at the same time. There are places in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, abd Florida that are basically the same.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RIP Syndrome posted:

That might be a problem with the water scarcity kicking in too, but something tells me that even in the midst of the most severe drought there will be ♫ Always Coca-Cola ♫

fake edit: Actually their 1995 slogan works better in the kind of world we're expecting -- "Always and Only Coca-Cola".

real edit: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/14/world/americas/mexico-coca-cola-diabetes.html

Coca-Cola's got what plants crave

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Speaking of Phoenix..

Two of the states to be most severely impacted by Climate Change (Arizona and Florida) are also two of the fastest growing by population growth!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/01/31/population-growth-rate-fastest-growing-shrinking-states/38918791/

6. Arizona

• 1-yr. pop. growth: +1.56 percent (+107,628)
• Current population: 7.0 million (14th largest)
• 1-yr. change in median home value: 8.5 percent (6th highest)

5. Florida

• 1-yr. pop. growth: +1.59 percent (+327,811)
• Current population: 21.0 million (3rd largest)
• 1-yr. change in median home value: 8.2 percent (7th highest)

Fun times ahead when the music stops, those home values plummet, and millions begin to flee north. Not even to mention the trillions in lost property/economic value.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
As an aside, if you've never experienced it, 'wet vs. dry heat' really is insane.

Last time I was in Atlanta, it was ~90F and high humidity. I felt cool while standing in front an AC vent but was still pouring sweat.

Last time I was in Denver, it was ~95F and ~10% humidity. I was walking around in a hoodie and it was fine. Blew my mind!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Sure beats a chain / mercury thermometer / wet rag.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

thewalk posted:

I find the wet bulb wikipedia confusing. How much humidity at 95fahrenheit does it take before people straight up die sitting in the shade?

I ask because Phoenix gets to 115-120F how does the body cool off even when its 0% humidity in those kinds of temperatures. How much humidity does it take at 115F before your going to die?

Especially of interest because

1) I have workers out in the heat

2) climate change is loving with weather patterns and phoenix is getting wetter

For anecdotal context, I used to work unloading trailers in the deep south in the summer. It would regularly be 110-120 on the dock and thus 160-180 or so inside the trailer. You can work fairly hard in those conditions IF you have constant access to water. Our corporate-mandated safety rule was that after each unload, you drink water until you piss clear again. That would sometimes take 2-3 gallon jugs of water to accomplish. The problems come in when there's not constant, effectively free access to water. Like, say, attempting to cross a desert border when authorities deliberately destroy water caches left to help people. In places where water faucets that produce effectively free unlimited cool water aren't readily available, high temps can and will kill the hell out of people. And without said unlimited water access, 90's honestly pretty high.

Way back (hundreds to thousands of years ago) when salt was precious and not present in our diets in overabundance you had to also consider salt loss from that kinda thing, but for modern folks if you run into actual salt-balance problems you're probably running a marathon in the blazing heat or some other extreme circumstance. Even then most people are gonna be fine on salt, although it DOES crop up from time to time as a real issue.

My experience here is largely Alabama/Georgia, so 80+% humidity, meaning sweating's helping a lot less than it would somewhere that's dry heat like Phoenix.

tldr: you can stay healthy at high activity levels in some stupidly high temperatures IF AND ONLY IF you have unlimited access to water.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Yea if anything I suspect issues to access to clean water are going to become real apparent as 100+ with high humidity become the norm in tropical regions. I especially worry about SE Asia in this regard, and the area around the Gulf in the Middle East.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

chairface posted:

Way back (hundreds to thousands of years ago) when salt was precious and not present in our diets in overabundance you had to also consider salt loss from that kinda thing, but for modern folks if you run into actual salt-balance problems you're probably running a marathon in the blazing heat or some other extreme circumstance. Even then most people are gonna be fine on salt, although it DOES crop up from time to time as a real issue.

I do a bit of randonneuring (longer bike rides with check points), just the 200km stuff (some of the events go 1200km). You can drink a lot of water on a hot day doing this (I have 110 ounces on the bike). Fellow riders discovered the best way to prevent cramping is to get some salt, and the fast way is 7-11 and V8 juice.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

VideoGameVet posted:

I do a bit of randonneuring (longer bike rides with check points), just the 200km stuff (some of the events go 1200km). You can drink a lot of water on a hot day doing this (I have 110 ounces on the bike). Fellow riders discovered the best way to prevent cramping is to get some salt, and the fast way is 7-11 and V8 juice.

Agreed, but I would consider a 200km bike ride "extreme" and thus in that category. Plus I'm guessing the kinda person that kinda long distance biking attracts isn't eating McD's value meals and taking a week's worth of salt in at a go.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

VideoGameVet posted:

I've used to be a 100-200 miles a week rider and gently caress cramps my god. I've had a few and they are excruciating and usually I'd have a limp for a few days after. I got one in my apartment once and my then roommate thought I was being a huge cry baby about a charlie horse and I never forgave him.

edit: oh yeah and one neat thing about sweating is that its actually extremely efficient use of your body's salt. Your body pushes salts onto your skin and that's the mechanism by which water leaves your pores. You reclaim almost all of that salt and integrate it back into the cells which is insane if you think about it. You have a sweat a lot to get any kind of salt build up because most of it makes its way back into you.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 15, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

I've used to be a 100-200 miles a week rider and gently caress cramps my god. I've had a few and they are excruciating and usually I'd have a limp for a few days after. I got one in my apartment once and my then roommate thought I was being a huge cry baby about a charlie horse and I never forgave him.

edit: oh yeah and one neat thing about sweating is that its actually extremely efficient use of your body's salt. Your body pushes salts onto your skin and that's the mechanism by which water leaves your pores. You reclaim almost all of that salt and integrate it back into the cells which is insane if you think about it. You have a sweat a lot to get any kind of salt build up because most of it makes its way back into you.

I commuted 33mi RT during the late 1990's (It was a factor in losing 140lbs in 1996) that included lots of climbs. 8000 miles/year in '97-'99 (I was in my 40's). Didn't have to worry about salt and at the time it was a fish+veggies diet. The 200km in a day stuff is way harder because you're (ok I'm) pedaling for 10hours+ or more. I've had shirts caked in salt after one of those.

Anyway, while the summer I worked in Virginia made me heat tolerant, we're going to see wet-bulb temps in some parts of the USA come close to the fatal levels.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Vitamin Me posted:

How was the air quality

When I first flew into the city I thought it was overcast. Nope, it's all pollution. It's that drat bad but according to the locals it's been much worse and this was a good day.

Walking around the city (Old Delhi) after a few hours I kind of got a weird metallic taste in my mouth along with my eyes watering. This wasn't near a high traffic area just a temple/park. What's also interesting is that India - a Country that's not wealthy at all - is building several Nuclear Power Plants. It's so freaking backwards that of all places India is doing this yet the United States even some parts of Europe are incapable of doing so.

On a final note, India is a great example of externalities. I'm in The Woodlands a Houston Suburb and every manhole shows "Made in India". We all know smelting iron, steel, etc. is extremely toxic and all we've done is essentially put that pollution somewhere else.

It's really hosed up but as I said everyone was pretty happy with the way things were because things had gotten so much better. :smith:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

On a final note, India is a great example of externalities. I'm in The Woodlands a Houston Suburb and every manhole shows "Made in India". We all know smelting iron, steel, etc. is extremely toxic and all we've done is essentially put that pollution somewhere else.

It's not just the smelting. The shipbreaking industry is concentrated there, and the pollution it creates is pretty horrible.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

My manhole reference was just a small example of externalities.

How the hell do you have ship breaking in New Delhi? It’s land locked.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Most of the ship breaking is in Alang.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Alang doesn't do much breaking any more, got too expensive.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This is a nice little trampoline for me to bounce into the thread. My wife and I want to stuff some cash into companies trying to address climate issues and it's hard to come up with even basic lists. You try to look up stuff related to water and just get some water utilities or something. Trying to go with "climate change" in a search will just get you droned out with feel-good stuff from huge corporations. Does anybody have some list? Are there specific buzzwords and jargon I'm supposed to use?

Any private company is going to try to make money or some kind of non-financial return, but "impact investing" is probably the buzzword you're looking for

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I live in Bangkok, the temperature is almost always in the 35-40º range even at night, and the humidity rarely drops below 75%. When I lived in Northern Europe, a 4km walk to work was nbd - 45 minutes or so was fine. Here, my limit is 15 minutes. I can see my office from my condo, and on hot days I still take a motorcycle taxi to work because otherwise I'll arrive too wet to work.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
is breaking a ship like breaking in a horse, i'm getting a great mental image

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

nankeen posted:

is breaking a ship like breaking in a horse, i'm getting a great mental image

Nah go watch Working Man’s Death. The last vignette is shipbreaking.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Helen Highwater posted:

I live in Bangkok, the temperature is almost always in the 35-40º range even at night, and the humidity rarely drops below 75%. When I lived in Northern Europe, a 4km walk to work was nbd - 45 minutes or so was fine. Here, my limit is 15 minutes. I can see my office from my condo, and on hot days I still take a motorcycle taxi to work because otherwise I'll arrive too wet to work.

Those temps are normal correct?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What you are looking is for ESG(Environmental, Social, Governance) ratings, which various market research companies provides. The type of investment strategy you are doing is call Socially Responsible Investment. I can't give you a list, because everyone lies.

Tab8715, if you believe in externalities, why do you give a poo poo how much carbon china/india produces, do they have a choice?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Femur posted:

Tab8715, if you believe in externalities, why do you give a poo poo how much carbon china/india produces, do they have a choice?

:raise: Because I care about my fellow man that's essentially being exploited even if I don't speak their language, understand their culture and even if they're nearly halfway across the world?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
‘Extraordinary thinning’ of ice sheets revealed deep inside Antarctica

quote:

New research shows affected areas are losing ice five times faster than in the 1990s, with more than 100m of thickness gone in some places.

quote:

A complete loss of the West Antarctic ice sheet would drive global sea levels up by about five metres, drowning coastal cities around the world. The current losses are doubling every decade, the scientists said, and sea level rise are now running at the extreme end of projections made just a few years ago.

quote:

From a standing start in the 1990s, thinning has spread inland progressively over the past 25 years – that is rapid in glaciological terms,” said Prof Andy Shepherd, of Leeds University in the UK, who led the study. “The speed of drawing down ice from an ice sheet used to be spoken of in geological timescales, but that has now been replaced by people’s lifetimes.

Atmospheric Methane Levels Are Going Up—And No One Knows Why

quote:

The air in the flasks shows that the concentration of methane in the atmosphere had been steadily rising since 1983, before leveling off around 2000. “And then, boom, look at how it changes here,” Dlugokencky says, pointing at a graph on his computer screen. “This is really an abrupt change in the global methane budget, starting around 2007.” The amount of methane in the atmosphere has been increasing ever since. And nobody really knows why. What’s more, no one saw it coming. Methane levels have been climbing more steeply than climate experts anticipated, to a degree “so unexpected that it was not considered in pathway models preparatory to the Paris Agreement,” as Dlugokencky and several coauthors noted in a recently published paper.

quote:

we know that there are about 1,850 molecules of methane in the atmosphere for every billion molecules of air—typically shorthanded as parts per billion, or ppb—in today’s atmosphere. That’s compared to about 700 parts per billion in the pre-industrial era.

quote:

And still others argue that the culprit isn’t a surging source at all, but the steady, or perhaps very sudden, disappearance of a traditional methane “sink.” After an average residence time of about a decade, methane is oxidized into carbon dioxide and water vapor through chemical reactions with hydroxyl radicals (OH). This atmospheric removal process may be weakening, though, possibly because OH levels are declining due to reactions with other anthropogenic pollutants.

I increasingly feel that participating in any form of modern society, vs. aggressively trying to raise a revolutionary movement every waking moment of the day, is effectively committing suicide.

Rime fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 16, 2019

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Rime posted:

‘Extraordinary thinning’ of ice sheets revealed deep inside Antarctica

Atmospheric Methane Levels Are Going Up—And No One Knows Why

I increasingly feel that participating in any form of modern society, vs. aggressively trying to raise a revolutionary movement every waking moment of the day, is effectively committing suicide.

If it makes you feel any better, our fates were sealed decades ago. We committed suicide a long, long time ago. What matters now is unfucking the future as best we can and at least try to give future civilizations and everything else a chance in the ruined world we're giving them.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Those temps are normal correct?

We're 13° north of the Equator, plum in the middle of the Tropic of Cancer. So yeah, that's a normal range. Like everywhere else in the world though, the records get broken every year.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Lost Time posted:

If it makes you feel any better, our fates were sealed decades ago. We committed suicide a long, long time ago. What matters now is unfucking the future as best we can and at least try to give future civilizations and everything else a chance in the ruined world we're giving them.

That's my thought as well. All of this crap that has occurred happen before I was born or when I was a baby.

Future generations are going to absolutely us and those in the past. The least we will be able to do is prepare them for a radically different world.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Wow.

Bloomberg posted:

Gerard Braud has no plans to leave his handsome Creole-style house with its 15-foot-high front porch on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, a short drive from New Orleans. “Peacefulness and tranquility” is how he explains the appeal of living here.

Except that thanks in part to climate change, the lake keeps hopping the short seawall in front of Braud’s house and taking over his neatly manicured lawn—not just during hurricanes, but also when the tide is high and the winds are strong. His flood insurance premiums have almost doubled to $5,000 a year, making him wonder how difficult it would be to sell even if he wanted to.

In flood-prone areas across southern Louisiana, residents such as Braud risk running out of choices: living in homes that are hard to leave but put them in harm’s way. In response, the state on Wednesday issued a sweeping blueprint—the first of its kind in the U.S.—for managing the ongoing population movement away from its coastal areas, and preparing inland communities to receive an infusion of people.

Louisiana Unveils Ambitious Plan to Help People Get Out of the Way of Climate Change

It's freaking sad but at least they're getting people out ahead of times especially those that have no means to do so. Louisiana loses on average a football field of land every day. Hopefully New Orleans will survive a bit longer. There's so much more than just binge drinking.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Tab8715 posted:

Wow.

Louisiana Unveils Ambitious Plan to Help People Get Out of the Way of Climate Change

It's freaking sad but at least they're getting people out ahead of times especially those that have no means to do so. Louisiana loses on average a football field of land every day. Hopefully New Orleans will survive a bit longer. There's so much more than just binge drinking.

New Orleans is one of the best cities I've ever visited. The music, the food, the people. I have never run into a midnight tuba-fight taking place in the middle of the street anywhere else. The difference, though, between the downtown and surrounding areas is stark. There were so many abandoned homes that were a quarter of the way through repairs started 14 years ago. Pallets of concrete that cured years ago from the rain sitting in the street. Windows, Tyvek home wrap, felled trees just sitting. It was eerie. I've been to abandoned mining towns in the southwest but this was something else. I walked through each night I was there and it was unsettling. It didn't feel dangerous, just empty.

A lot of towns are gonna be like New Orleans that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Rime posted:

Suicide and murder. But I aint doing poo poo other than supporting the first person of power that can slap everyones hands away from cookie jar at same time

thewalk fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 16, 2019