Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It started in the comics where Dr light is revealed to be a serial rapist and the Justice League kept covering it up by erasing memories.

Also when people started thinking Mark Millar and Garth Ennis were good writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gaunab posted:

It started in the comics where Dr light is revealed to be a serial rapist and the Justice League kept covering it up by erasing memories.

Also when people started thinking Mark Millar and Garth Ennis were good writers.

Hitman was great and I will fight you over that.

Except it is absolutely grimdark seeing as Dogwelder existed in it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pilchenstein posted:

I think Raimi's Spiderman was what opened the floodgates.

The Raimi Spider-Man is campy and fun, even if Green Goblin has a scary mask and disintegrates several people.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I guess I'd have to determine what "grimdark" is. To me that is things dealing with more mature themes (personal psychology, trauma, the actual effects of violence). As stated earlier, the comics run that Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Neil Gaiman et al experienced in the 80's really paved the way for the idea of more serious comic book movies. Yeah, there was the Dolph Lundgren Punisher film but that's just violence without really looking at his unpleasant past. I still say the 1989 Batman taking from The Dark Knight Returns was big in that it was financially successful in bringing the "grimdark" comic book movies that came out later. Sam Raimi's Darkman was his take on a tragic superhero story, and despite what the initial audience/box office would have you think, Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy was surprisingly close to the source material.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is only my opinion but for Grimdark Id use the original ninja turtles comic as a benchmark.

It is stoic nihilism, ultraviolence, and cape comics slamming into each other. If a character ruminates on what the purpose of it all is why continuing to inflict staggering violence on the nameless and faceless while something patently absurd is happening like a bunch of ninjas attacking bipedal turtles its grimdark

Barudak has a new favorite as of 03:27 on May 16, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Grimdark is when someone looks at their hands wondering what they’ve become.

Unless they’ve literally transformed into something else. That may not be grimdark.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Raimi Spider-Man is campy and fun, even if Green Goblin has a scary mask and disintegrates several people.
Grimdark is probably the wrong word but it's definitely in the "being a superhero is a miserable burden" camp.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Gaunab posted:

Garth Ennis is a good writer, his Superman is the problably the most anti-grimdark iteration of the character in the last 30 years.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Barudak posted:

This is only my opinion but for Grimdark Id use the original ninja turtles comic as a benchmark.

It is stoic nihilism, ultraviolence, and cape comics slamming into each other. If a character ruminates on what the purpose of it all is why continuing to inflict staggering violence on the nameless and faceless while something patently absurd is happening like a bunch of ninjas attacking bipedal turtles its grimdark

I'd agree. Those comics were bleak. It's amazing how it was turned into a successful children's cartoon.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I mean, the Joker in The Dark Knight feels edgy but they don't show a lot of the violent stuff directly. And then the next movie has Bane, who holds the city hostage with a dressed up cartoon bomb.

Being pg-13 makes dark superheroes weird.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mister Nobody posted:

Garth Ennis is a good writer, his Superman is the problably the most anti-grimdark iteration of the character in the last 30 years.

The Hitman issue where Tommy meets Superman is fantastic.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Batman Returns was dark enough to upend the franchise.

The secondary villain dies by being forced to kiss a taser.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Len posted:

Hitman was great and I will fight you over that.

Except it is absolutely grimdark seeing as Dogwelder existed in it.

Dogwelder exists because Ennis asked a bunch of his comic friends to come up with the dumbest name for a superhero ever. I think it was Steve Dillon who drunkenly suggested "Dogwelder".

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

jojoinnit posted:

If it was the same one wouldn’t he have just come in the door or something and handed back the unused vial?

They were outside, and when Cap didn't come back, they started looking around and saw an old man nearby looking at a lake. So he was already there, but didn't come back through the device.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
In a movie with all kinda flying space wizards, the thing I just could not accept was Robert Downey Jr being born in 1970.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Davros1 posted:

Dogwelder exists because Ennis asked a bunch of his comic friends to come up with the dumbest name for a superhero ever. I think it was Steve Dillon who drunkenly suggested "Dogwelder".

Section 8 in general is definitely the entertaining results of a drunken 'come up with the dumbest ideas for superheroes' competition.

Like a lot of the stereotypically grimdark comic writers, Ennis actually likes Superman and mostly uses pisstake brutal parody to express his dislike for all the other dumb poo poo comics do.

Superman in general seems to be pretty boring most of the time, but in the hands of a good writer and/or director can make for great stories, which tend to go underrated or forgotten because most people want punch mans and are confused and angered by any attempt at nuance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pilchenstein posted:

Grimdark is probably the wrong word but it's definitely in the "being a superhero is a miserable burden" camp.

That's basically Spider-man in a nutshell though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Davros1 posted:

Ennis credited him for it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lucid Nonsense posted:

They were outside, and when Cap didn't come back, they started looking around and saw an old man nearby looking at a lake. So he was already there, but didn't come back through the device.

There's a hundred ways he could've come back on his own though, without their device. Maybe he met a Celestial or something, who the gently caress knows.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wait...where were they? Outside of Shield HQ? In a random park? It just occurred to me that their headquarters are a smoking pit and the surrounding landscape looks like Verdun. Were they doing time travel in a public park where old Steve Rogers could just wander in and sit on a bench undetected? WTF? Does no one have a backyard with a fence?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wait...where were they? Outside of Shield HQ? In a random park? It just occurred to me that their headquarters are a smoking pit and the surrounding landscape looks like Verdun. Were they doing time travel in a public park where old Steve Rogers could just wander in and sit on a bench undetected? WTF? Does no one have a backyard with a fence?

I think it was Tony's place, which was by a lake with some woods wasn't it? Seemed like that's where they were anyway.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I believe it is close to the battlefield. You can see a construction site in the background. I definitely got the impression “they are slowly rebuilding, but they just recently started”.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Outside the Avengers HQ building.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Endgame: I just wanted to use spoiler tags and be one of the cool kids.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Roblo posted:

Outside the Avengers HQ building.

They're slacking on the security then. Used to be even AntMan couldn't sneak by their defenses.

Avengers getting lazy.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Krispy Wafer posted:

They're slacking on the security then. Used to be even AntMan couldn't sneak by their defenses.

Avengers getting lazy.

well. Yknow. A fair bit of stuff happened. Building got a bit hosed up n' that.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's not like the amount of time between the battle ending and them taking the stones back actually matters, and presumably they'd have to wait at least as long as it takes Pym to make enough particles for 5-6 jumps anyway.

Anyway I was trying to find a screencap of that last bit but my googling is weak, but goddamn all they had to do is be a bit more explicit about the multiverse poo poo to cure any confusion. 'No you can't change the past to fix it, you can't do grandfather paradoxes and any significant change causes a branching timeline with a new future' instead of an explanation I had no issue with but others, including the people that made the movie, do.

None of this matters and I don't even like the movie that much ahhhhhhh.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Endgame: Why did Ant Man's daughter age like 10 years in the 5 year time skip?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Clam Chowdown posted:

Well half of everyone was dead, so everyone left gets twice as much time. Basic maths.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Clam Chowdown posted:

The new actress is 17, the original actress is 11.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Clam Chowdown posted:

How old do you think the actress is?
Wikipedia says 17 at the moment, I imagine she was 16 during filming. The new actress is 6 1/2 years older than her predecessor.

e;f,b

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Endgame: I just wanted to use spoiler tags and be one of the cool kids.

Truly the worst part of the movie.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Gitro posted:

It's not like the amount of time between the battle ending and them taking the stones back actually matters, and presumably they'd have to wait at least as long as it takes Pym to make enough particles for 5-6 jumps anyway.

Anyway I was trying to find a screencap of that last bit but my googling is weak, but goddamn all they had to do is be a bit more explicit about the multiverse poo poo to cure any confusion. 'No you can't change the past to fix it, you can't do grandfather paradoxes and any significant change causes a branching timeline with a new future' instead of an explanation I had no issue with but others, including the people that made the movie, do.

None of this matters and I don't even like the movie that much ahhhhhhh.

The Back to the Future discussion with Scott and the smart people laid out the rules pretty plainly. If you go into the past, you are still in your "present". What you think of as "the future" from that point of view is in your past because you already experienced it. Anything you do cannot change your past, but it can change the future of the timeline you are currently in which means it has to create a tangent timeline. It's only through the magic of the quantum realm that you can ever return to your original timeline at all. Otherwise, you'd be stuck in the tangent timeline forever and if you went into the future, you'd be in a new future, not your previous present.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

The Back to the Future discussion with Scott and the smart people laid out the rules pretty plainly. If you go into the past, you are still in your "present". What you think of as "the future" from that point of view is in your past because you already experienced it. Anything you do cannot change your past, but it can change the future of the timeline you are currently in which means it has to create a tangent timeline. It's only through the magic of the quantum realm that you can ever return to your original timeline at all. Otherwise, you'd be stuck in the tangent timeline forever and if you went into the future, you'd be in a new future, not your previous present.

Yes,i agree and thought all of that was pretty clear in the movie too. It's why nebula can kill a past nebula and they can't just send Thor back to get it right the first time. Lots of people seem to disagree with this, though, including some of the people that made the movie. I just think it could've been avoided by being slightly more explicit on the 'no, it's multiverse' front.

Which doesn't matter, because it is how it works in the movie, or at least it's how its explained and nothing contradicts that interpretation, but here I am getting invested in comic book movie time travel mechanics anyway.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Clam Chowdown posted:

Also Ant Man 2 takes place right after CW, so maybe a year or two before IW, so she'll have aged even more.

I think it's just the reverse of casting people in their 30s to play teenagers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ant Man and the Wasp takes place during Infinity War. It's on TVs occasionally in the background.

It's a little more than 2 years after Civil War, because Scott is just finishing his 2 year house arrest deal during the movie.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Gitro posted:

Yes,i agree and thought all of that was pretty clear in the movie too. It's why nebula can kill a past nebula and they can't just send Thor back to get it right the first time. Lots of people seem to disagree with this, though, including some of the people that made the movie. I just think it could've been avoided by being slightly more explicit on the 'no, it's multiverse' front.

Which doesn't matter, because it is how it works in the movie, or at least it's how its explained and nothing contradicts that interpretation, but here I am getting invested in comic book movie time travel mechanics anyway.

They saved the multiverse reveal for the Spider-Man Far From Home Trailer.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aphrodite posted:

Ant Man and the Wasp takes place during Infinity War. It's on TVs occasionally in the background.

It's a little more than 2 years after Civil War, because Scott is just finishing his 2 year house arrest deal during the movie.

Clint was still wearing his ankle monitor when the snap happened.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Aleph Null posted:

They saved the multiverse reveal for the Spider-Man Far From Home Trailer.

Of course there is a huge chance that Mysterio is massively bullshitting about that, as he is wont to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dr Christmas posted:

Of course there is a huge chance that Mysterio is massively bullshitting about that, as he is wont to do.

I can imagine it ends up being a mix where both are true. He comes from another world, but like some kind of supervillain version of Booster Gold, he brought the bad things so he could play hero.