Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

40% more pages! Hot drat!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Maybe a repost, but I don't know.

A friend of mine unironically suggested I read this because it's great:

It is the opposite of great.

Where do I loving start. The protagonist, Nate, is a billionaire wizard that owns his own arcane book store in St. Louis. No one in the book can match him for magical strength. He has an eidetic memory and a memory palace. Every woman he meets is both attractive and wants his dick in a huge way. Both of his friends exist only to let Nate own them in some way (one is a jealous coward and the other is a meathead FBI agent werewolf). Oh, and Nate can't stop quoting what the author thinks is obscure literature (more on this in a minute).

Nate gets into trouble trying to find a particular book for a client that turns out to be a dragon and other dragons want the book to do magic poo poo with it.

Highlights include:

-Nate getting arrested and then subsequently "owning" the cops by picking his cuffs, freezing their coffee with magic, and making the lights dim while he yells at them. They are definitely left dumbfounded and emasculated by Nate's power. Don't worry, reader, they let him go while quivering with fear.
-Going back to Nate's bachelor pad above his bookstore and getting attacked by a naked woman using seduction magic. She turns out to be a dragon! Most dragons are sexy women that could have sex with Nate BTW.
-Nate quotes Poe's "The Raven" out of nowhere, and his friends say something to the effect of "is that some of your ancient text knowledge stuff?" like this poem is not taught to every loving school child in the Western world at some point.
-Nate has an employee at said bookstore that wants to gently caress Nate in a bad way, and Nate thinks it's high time to have a relationship with said employee after a she gives Nate a sensual bath post super-rad car chase.
-Not an hour earlier Nate meets a lady cop that is super hot and also wants to ride on the wizard stick. She also reveals she is bi so she can rub on some girls when they go to a sexy party then a strip club within a couple chapters.
-Nate mansplains to the lady cop that women wear pretty dresses and makeup to simulate sexual attraction. She digs it so much that she gets super horny during the mansplaining. It's okay though because Nate was accidentally giving her a magical roofie thanks to all the power leaking out of him.
-Nate namedrops Dante's Inferno like it holds some kind of significance other than it's a classic, and it makes him seem smart. Dante's inferno comes to nothing in this book.

Oh God, there's more, but I need a loving drink to get through the rest of the book.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The original Dresden Files isn't subtle, so why should you be when ripping it off?

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I haven’t read any Dresdon stuff in many years, but I remember the protagonist getting his rear end kicked or being outsmarted all the time. This doesn’t make them good books, but at least Harry is an underdog in the books I read (the early ones).

This loving guy...

This loving guy, Nate, simply wins all his fights, outsmarts all of his opponents, and rolls with the punches with a cool head unless the author wants him to super saiyin for whatever reason.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, no. This poo poo is much worse, but it's also cribbing plot points from Dresden pretty blatantly. Like at least one Harry Dresden books has a lady cop friend accidentally drink a love potion he has sitting around, and then he has to run away from her because it's not enthusiastic consent when someone is drugged.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Elpato posted:

I haven’t read any Dresdon stuff in many years, but I remember the protagonist getting his rear end kicked or being outsmarted all the time. This doesn’t make them good books, but at least Harry is an underdog in the books I read (the early ones).

This loving guy...

This loving guy, Nate, simply wins all his fights, outsmarts all of his opponents, and rolls with the punches with a cool head unless the author wants him to super saiyin for whatever reason.

Reminds me of the absolutely awful Sandman Slim series about a guy who gets betrayed by his magic circle and sent to Hell but he breaks out and is super cool and tough and eventually finds out that he's half angel.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Elpato posted:

This loving guy...

Harry’s also as far from a billionaire as you can get. Turns out being a professional wizard in a world that doesn’t believe in magic doesn’t really get you money, so he lives in a lovely basement apartment and drives an old Beetle that’s had almost every panel replaced and is too small for him to comfortably fit in. He basically spends every book getting the poo poo beat out of him and barely winning through sheer perseverance and creativity.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Holy crap at the end of the book Nate and his “friends” become magical consultants (totally not PI’s).

Of course everyone he knows now works for him, and the enslaved dragon lady straight up asks for sex afterwards “because Nate promised her.”

What a wretched undertaking this was. I will have to dodge the question when my bud asks how i like it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So is Nate short for Nathan or...

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I'm not going back to look.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

chitoryu12 posted:

Harry’s also as far from a billionaire as you can get. Turns out being a professional wizard in a world that doesn’t believe in magic doesn’t really get you money, so he lives in a lovely basement apartment and drives an old Beetle that’s had almost every panel replaced and is too small for him to comfortably fit in. He basically spends every book getting the poo poo beat out of him and barely winning through sheer perseverance and creativity.

Everyone forgets that the whole thing with Dresden Files originally was a riff on private detective stories but with magic, and thus uses similar themes of the protagonist generally barely surviving and rarely getting paid.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Everyone forgets that the whole thing with Dresden Files originally was a riff on private detective stories but with magic, and thus uses similar themes of the protagonist generally barely surviving and rarely getting paid.

And being beaten to a pulp and tossed in the river being an important marker that you're making progress on a case.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

PYF terrible book reader:

I Read At Parties And That's Okay
https://bookriot.com/2019/03/04/i-read-at-parties/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

And being beaten to a pulp and tossed in the river being an important marker that you're making progress on a case.

And the knock that Harry is the wizard equivalent of a dumb brute who can throw fireballs but needs massive prep to do anything remotely subtle

The other Harry also twists it in that he's a student wizard who over the years of the books eventually becomes average and becomes a decent deulist through effort because he needs to if he's to survive.

Basically if your protagonist becomes the best wizard at everything you're doing it even more wrong than the popular hacks.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

grittyreboot posted:

PYF terrible book reader:

I Read At Parties And That's Okay
https://bookriot.com/2019/03/04/i-read-at-parties/

This lady should move to ebooks. As a compulsive reader this is definitely me, but I just put all my books on my phone and it makes it way easier! Sure, it looks like I'm a vapid social mediaite, but I get my ~6-8 hours of book reading in a day so I'm happy. Also I've gone through a good 700 in the past two years and they're all on a little tiny chip smaller than my fingernail which is hella cool.

so much more transportable too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And the knock that Harry is the wizard equivalent of a dumb brute who can throw fireballs but needs massive prep to do anything remotely subtle

The other Harry also twists it in that he's a student wizard who over the years of the books eventually becomes average and becomes a decent deulist through effort because he needs to if he's to survive.

Basically if your protagonist becomes the best wizard at everything you're doing it even more wrong than the popular hacks.

I remember laughing when it was pointed out to me that Harry Potter basically just uses Expelliarmus for everything. He learned one super basic thing when he was 12 and uses it in every single fight because it turns out that making wizards lose their wands is the most powerful game breaker.

And the entire ending is based on him thinking about the implications of wand loyalty and realizing that punching a kid in the face and stealing his wand accidentally made him invincible in the final duel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember laughing when it was pointed out to me that Harry Potter basically just uses Expelliarmus for everything. He learned one super basic thing when he was 12 and uses it in every single fight because it turns out that making wizards lose their wands is the most powerful game breaker.

And the entire ending is based on him thinking about the implications of wand loyalty and realizing that punching a kid in the face and stealing his wand accidentally made him invincible in the final duel.

Pretty much. It's effective against things that aren't wands too! Mind you, Voldemort does the same thing with Adava Kedavra, because it turns out just flat out killing the wizard is also pretty effective.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much. It's effective against things that aren't wands too! Mind you, Voldemort does the same thing with Adava Kedavra, because it turns out just flat out killing the wizard is also pretty effective.

Harry and Voldemort are just two different incarnations of that guy in PvP who finds an exploit in the metagame and spams it in every fight.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I bought a book at the dollar store.

Maybe this book is actually amazing, a hidden gem. There's a lot of praise for it on the back. I don't know. I mainly bought it for the map in the front of the book:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

I bought a book at the dollar store.

Great "hurry up and finish this dumb photoshoot, I want to go home" expression for the woman on the left

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I think the most fantastical thing in this book might be that a guy named Rudi Mackenzie named his daughter órlaith.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think someone writing as S.M. just might be going too far, but who knows.

Props for choosing the Kamandi way of mapping whoever

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

RoboRodent posted:

Maybe this book is actually amazing, a hidden gem. There's a lot of praise for it on the back. I don't know. I mainly bought it for the map in the front of the book:

Given “New Deseret” I’m guessing this is yet another example of why Mormons shouldn’t write genre fiction.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Only devout Catholics should be allowed to write genre fiction. But Anglicans will do in a pinch

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Harry and Voldemort are just two different incarnations of that guy in PvP who finds an exploit in the metagame and spams it in every fight.

Harry plays Kirby in SSB and jumps off the map, then spits you out and floats back up to the ledge while you fall and die.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

I loving love that they didn't change the font of the original map.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Elpato posted:

Nate gets into trouble trying to find a particular book for a client that turns out to be a dragon and other dragons want the book to do magic poo poo with it.

I read this as the book itself turned out to be a dragon and that sounds like a more interesting story.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It’s an interesting variant of this in that anyone doing really subtle magic needs lots of preparation and concentration, because Dresden magic is actually about using these rituals and props as a way to focus the mind and get the magic flowing in the right way. So everybody needs to put a ton of effort into careful thaumaturgy while just flinging fireballs from a staff is relatively easy for a trained wizard.

Harry just usually faces problems that take direct solutions like guns and fire rather than day-long rituals to find a specific person in a city.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

SHOCKING: dresden files actually good, says goon

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Djeser posted:

SHOCKING: dresden files actually good, says goon

'Good' is probably a stretch. 'Not terrible'?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

that's actually not true, at the start of the series harry is actually way better at the subtle stuff. like finding lost kids was his specialty (his problem is usual delicate things) but because all the bad guys know him from is him throwing fireballs they assume he's just dumb muscle (and sometimes he is)

chitoryu12 posted:

well wizard duels are basically described as long range sword fights (book 2 even describes a dueling grip as a sword grip) so it makes sense in a fight that harry's spells are block and disarm Voldemort and most everyone else goes for "kill"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Samuringa posted:

I think someone writing as S.M. just might be going too far, but who knows.

Props for choosing the Kamandi way of mapping whoever

good_names_for_rock_bands.jpg

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

good_names_for_rock_bands.jpg

"WE ARE THE SNOW WIZARDS, AND WE'RE HERE TO CHILL YOU OUT AND ENCHANT YOU WITH OUR SWEET FUKKEN BASSLINES!"

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't know, goons are EXTREMELY eager to talk about it every time it comes up

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Djeser posted:

Anything a lot of people have read is going to get talked about more. Ready Player One always gets a lot of discussion whenever it comes up, and that book is garbage.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Djeser posted:

By this metric, tubgirl and goatse are high art.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Captain Monkey posted:

By this metric, tubgirl and goatse are high art.

They are. They are striking reflections of our society that only grow truer and purer as time passes.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Lemonparty depicts the owning class and their ideals.

Also the movie "Society".

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 07:30 on May 19, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah, they're not exactly classic American novels but they're also not bad. They're good to pick up and read casually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
This is the correct thread for the Dresden Files, yes.