Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Or maybe just something as dumb as simple tribalism

e: also I first wondered if the teacher in erwin's flashbacks was the beast titan guy somehow, given the glasses and blonde hair/beard but the zeke reveal cleared that up :v: I guess it's just Anime Face Syndrome?

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Alright you can ignore the points I was making about theorizing as an anime watcher. If other people wanna read 'em, go for it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Are we not allowed to? Is that not the point of having segregated anime/manga threads?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Clearly there's no point to thinking about the anime as we watch it, we should turn our brains off and mindlessly consume our media.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Theories from anime only folks are welcomed and cherished here, I only ask that you:

1. Are actually anime-only.
2. Don’t bring theories that you’ve read on other sites into the thread, as these frequently feature “theories” from people pretending to be anime-only.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Imagine pretending to post a theory here that you know is a fact because you read the manga. What a pathetic oval office you'd be

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

As a manga reader my theory for the next episode is that it's going to be really good.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Anime only guy, and I'm not liking Hange's chances. I don't think they'd actually kill her off screen but it seems like Armin's arc is building towards eventually leading the scouts and she's still second in command.

Yes I'm already assuming Erwin is 100% dead as soon as they reach the basement, he might as well start talking about how he's one week from retirement and going to sail around the world with his wife.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Anime only guy, and I'm not liking Hange's chances. I don't think they'd actually kill her off screen but it seems like Armin's arc is building towards eventually leading the scouts and she's still second in command.

Yes I'm already assuming Erwin is 100% dead as soon as they reach the basement, he might as well start talking about how he's one week from retirement and going to sail around the world with his wife.

I would have bet money after season 2 that Erwin would have died before now, but I had no idea that we would have half a season without an expedition.

Erwin is 1000% not caring about what happens to himself as long as he makes it to the basement and gets to look inside, so a tragic death would be him not actually making it. Maybe they get to the house but they're stuck in battle, or Eren isn't there with the key. Comedy option is he opens the door and there's already a titan inside and he gets eaten. My other half suggested they use his body as a battering ram.

I don't think Hange is dead because it seems like overkill to remove both the commander and the appointed successor when we already have a good sense that the scouts will be gutted by this battle. Armin is way too young for a leadership position, but I suppose they could kill Erwin and Hange and then bring one of the other veterans we've seen to hold things together until they figure out who's next.

Anyone want to place bets on Connie/Sasha/Jean surviving? It's been so long since we've had a death within the 104th, and I can't imagine that all of them will be wearing plot armor.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Maera Sior posted:

I would have bet money after season 2 that Erwin would have died before now, but I had no idea that we would have half a season without an expedition.

Erwin is 1000% not caring about what happens to himself as long as he makes it to the basement and gets to look inside, so a tragic death would be him not actually making it. Maybe they get to the house but they're stuck in battle, or Eren isn't there with the key. Comedy option is he opens the door and there's already a titan inside and he gets eaten. My other half suggested they use his body as a battering ram.

I don't think Hange is dead because it seems like overkill to remove both the commander and the appointed successor when we already have a good sense that the scouts will be gutted by this battle. Armin is way too young for a leadership position, but I suppose they could kill Erwin and Hange and then bring one of the other veterans we've seen to hold things together until they figure out who's next.

Anyone want to place bets on Connie/Sasha/Jean surviving? It's been so long since we've had a death within the 104th, and I can't imagine that all of them will be wearing plot armor.

Armin is definitely way too young, but on the other hand this is anime. Hange definitely isn't dead right now but I'm nervous for her going forward.

If Sasha was gonna die it would have been in that near miss a while back, didn't the author say they were originally gonna kill her there but couldn't bring themselves to do it? I think Connie is more likely unless they need to revisit Mom-Titan first.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Are we not allowed to? Is that not the point of having segregated anime/manga threads?
You're allowed, the only reason I was railing against doing so is because...

Alan_Shore posted:

Imagine pretending to post a theory here that you know is a fact because you read the manga. What a pathetic oval office you'd be
...there are likely pathetic cunts on these forums.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad Jean got to have a couple moments this last episode. It's easy to forgot that a loooong time ago, he had an arc about becoming a good leader

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
He's without a doubt the character with the most development in the story so far after Eren and Historia.

It's nice to see an everyman character fleshed out like this, in a way that is not forced by suddenly turning him important in the grand scheme or anything; he's just a good boy doing his best after circumstance put him at the forefront all the craziness.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

He's without a doubt the character with the most development in the story so far after Eren and Historia.

It's nice to see an everyman character fleshed out like this, in a way that is not forced by suddenly turning him important in the grand scheme or anything; he's just a good boy doing his best after circumstance put him at the forefront all the craziness.

I really like that we see him wrestling with the basic questions one would have in this situation. When everything is poo poo and your friends are dying around you, how do you keep on going?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Connie and Sasha offer a nice contrast because it's the same for them, really - difference is they don't have the head on their shoulders for complex planning or to really get in there pondering matters, so their use as PoV characters is limited in that respect, but make up for it by wearing their hearts on their sleeves.

You can just tell by their expressions when they're thinking "this is hosed, I'm going to die here" or "poo poo, this plan is going to get us all killed", but pull through regardless because it's either the right thing to do, or they're trusting their comrades to make the right call. They're good kids, all.

I'd actually quite enjoy if we got a bit with Connie contemplating his mom's situation or thinking back on his family.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

ehhhhh i dunno if that's true post-season 1, he's spent an awful lot of time being little more than a head that reacts to things in a fairly basic manner

it's why i'm glad to see him have a few lines of note now

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

That second half was intense as hell. I'm going to feel lost for the rest of the day.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'm saving it for tonight to pick me up after GoT lets me down.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2019/05/19/attack-on-titan-at-its-wits-end/

quote:

So let’s get it out there quickly: yes, the rumors about studio WIT being done with Attack on Titan come directly from the core of the team. They’re not a misunderstanding based off vague stuff said on social media by animators, even if it’s those comments gaining traction that caused people involved to speak out about something they’ve known for a while. I’ll be honest and admit that before everything blew up yesterday I’d simply assumed the prior whisperings were fan speculation gone wild, but after checking multiple first and second-hand sources, I can say with certainty that these aren’t mere conjectures. WIT have said they’re done.

It's not canceled, but WIT Studios, won't be working on it anymore

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Maera Sior posted:

That second half was intense as hell. I'm going to feel lost for the rest of the day.

Absolutely. It's nuts how intense this show gets in 20 minutes where other shows can't even get close through 80 minutes.

I was sure their last-ditch counter-attack once Eren was KO'd would be threatening to kill Eren with thunder spears, to deny his power to the titans. I was wondering who'd suggest it out of Armin, Erwin and Levi. That suicide charge came as a big surprise.

theCalamity posted:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2019/05/19/attack-on-titan-at-its-wits-end/

It's not canceled, but WIT Studios, won't be working on it anymore

Has this happened mid-season with other anime, and did it have a happen ending?

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 19, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is it happening mid season? I assumed they've finished S3 part 2 already.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
OK, sorry, that's entirely possible. I skimmed the article after a certain point.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Sindai posted:

Is it happening mid season? I assumed they've finished S3 part 2 already.

They won't be doing any new season going forward. Another studio will take over for S4 and onwards. They are probably still working on S3 part 2 as their production schedule is a mess from the beginning.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This anime is so good. The only show this season that actually keeps me on the edge of my seat every episode. You guys ever think about how insanely popular this show would be if they hadn't taken a 4 year break between seasons?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SpartanIvy posted:

This anime is so good. The only show this season that actually keeps me on the edge of my seat every episode. You guys ever think about how insanely popular this show would be if they hadn't taken a 4 year break between seasons?

They had to, unfortunately. Like, the manga was only like a dozen chapters past where season 1 ends iirc at the time. It's still in the top 3 of the season, but yeah, I know, it's unfortunate that it blew up so huge while still early in the story. And while they MIGHT have kept momentum if they got the author to focus on the anime instead of the manga, that's usually not where the big bucks are made, it's manga sales. So having an insanely popular first season to hook people to check out the manga is generally what a lot of manga adaptations go for.

For this series, I'm finding reading the manga and then seeing how they adapt various scenes extremely gratifying even if I already know what will happen. Usually I tend to stick to one or the other when it comes to anime or manga.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 20, 2019

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's been years at this point so I might as well go anime-only for the duration.

Extremely hype to watch Levi gently caress that hairy rear end in a top hat up.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I thought for sure at some point the last ditch effort Erwin was going to reveal was that he was Titan.

My guess for the basement? Clones of Eren

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

P-Mack posted:

It's been years at this point so I might as well go anime-only for the duration.

I feel there'll be a year or two gap between the end of this season and the start of the next, depending on who picks it up now that WIT Studios is done with it.

By then the manga will have been over and there should be about 18 episodes worth of material to animate.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

They had to, unfortunately. Like, the manga was only like a dozen chapters past where season 1 ends iirc at the time.

The chapter that was the final episode of Season 2 came out a week and 3 days after the final episode of season 1 came out. While it probably needed a break of a year or two, a 4 year one was pretty bad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Saagonsa posted:

The chapter that was the final episode of Season 2 came out a week and 3 days after the final episode of season 1 came out. While it probably needed a break of a year or two, a 4 year one was pretty bad.
fair enough, I thought it was much closer than that.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Do the timelines match up on Erwin's dad dissapearing for Annie to be his half-sister?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Erwin's dad was killed and buried. We even have a flashback of Sannes from the MPs torturing him (it was one of his early jobs).

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Erwin's dad was killed and buried. We even have a flashback of Sannes from the MPs torturing him (it was one of his early jobs).

Oh poo poo, I always assumed beastman was Erwins dad. Welp.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

It's a loving shame WIT won't be finishing AoT but if any director from Gainax, Trigger, or maybe Mad House gets their hands on it, I'll be fine. Anyone else, though, and I'm not sure how it'll shake out. AoT has a very specific vision as an anime and the director(s) thus far have done a phenomenal job with their storyboards and cinematographer's eye. It's something plenty of studios could gently caress up so here's hoping those final chapters get the animation they deserve.

Edit: Jesus I didn't even read the article linked so I went in and saw the guy was basically name dropping who is responsible for making AoT distinctly AoT and how it's unlikely the key folks are going to touch it when WIT's done. Seems like the writer is focusing on exactly what I'm worried about. Good poo poo.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 20, 2019

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Man poo poo’s getting bleak. Hope the tone picks up soon

E: The close up frames of the Colossal Titan this ep looked really really good. I’ve yet to warm up to the cgi

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 20, 2019

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb19d08Lnec

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I feel like I shouldn't laugh, but I did.

I marathoned episodes 43-49 with someone on Saturday, and going from that to this episode was heartbreaking. Erwin went from "I will die to get a chance at answers" to "I don't really want to die" and Levi went from "I will break your legs to keep you alive" to "I'm making the choice for you, go on a suicide charge." I can't imagine the reception they're going to get when the survivors pass through the gate, we've never seen anything with this level of casualties before.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
10/10 would follow Erwin into hell :unsmith: He just delivered a more emotionally powerful speech than 8 seasons of GoT could manage.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I find it odd that the scouts developed countermeasures for the armored titan but didn't come up with anything for the colossal titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

You loving beast monster, hahaha.