Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ghostlight posted:

luv 2 attend two hour meetings starting at 12:30 where the entire context is "apps workshop, details to follow" that are updated on the day with the additional details of "this is now a physical meeting".

Tuesday: "We're meeting about the proposed re-org on Friday."
Thursday: "We're postponing the re-org proposal meeting after realizing the leaders of the respective teams were not aligned on how to move forward."
Monday: "We've discussed, and we're meeting tomorrow to share our findings."
Today: "The re-org is never happening. Also, this meeting is now an open forum to discuss how you feel about your boss and how badly he's hosed this whole thing up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My god, what have I done? :stonklol:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

outcome of the meeting: an additional meeting will be organised with a third-party to discuss the framework for initiating a project that the stakeholders see as an "easy win" for the company despite the fact that i began and half-completed the project in-house two months ago on my own initiative but put it on hold awaiting a response from the stakeholders regarding necessary process details known only to their team.

attendance: mandatory

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghostlight posted:

outcome of the meeting: an additional meeting will be organised with a third-party to discuss the framework for initiating a project that the stakeholders see as an "easy win" for the company despite the fact that i began and half-completed the project in-house two months ago on my own initiative but put it on hold awaiting a response from the stakeholders regarding necessary process details known only to their team.

Then you keep mum about it, let them work out the timeframe they expect it in, and then deliver it in a reasonable time under that expectation while taking things easy as you finish off what you did months ago.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

One of my biggest things I gotta tell new team members is the Scotty method. Always give more time than needed. You never know what could come up or happen.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

ticket posted:

I don’t think I know [email password]. If I guess it correctly could you tell me?

Is it D@rkstar69

lol

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

All i see is ************

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

You ever feel like you're watching an organization crumble around you?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I've just repaired the E key on my laptop with a youtube video and a loving swiss army penknife, thanks to our internal politics making laptops impossible to replace.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Start submitting PO's for penknives?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

duz posted:

It's like I'm hosting nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all.

serverless.png

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yo, xsf421, you going to Dark Lord Day this weekend?

Out of state, not oncall, not driving, time to drink to forget.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

AlexDeGruven posted:

Shut up Meg posted:

I've just repaired the E key on my laptop with a youtube video and a loving swiss army penknife, thanks to our internal politics making laptops impossible to replace.

:golfclap:

Our tech refresh recently went from 3 years to 4 years on most job roles. Meanwhile, we have a series of ultrabooks that had to go through 4 hardware revisions before we got one that won't burn itself up running Google's lovely chat video codecs. They built them super light and thin, to the detriment of cooling. And now the people who've been stuck with those for the past 2-3 years just found out they're stuck with them for another whole year.

Also, my initiative to show management how much these piece of poo poo are affecting productivity fell on deaf ears.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

Both Methanar’s and Vulture Culture’s companies shut down yesterday so I’m guessing yes.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Both Methanar’s and Vulture Culture’s companies shut down yesterday so I’m guessing yes.

We're not there yet, but a recruiter said their resumes from here are up more than 1000% on the year.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

AlexDeGruven posted:

You work for the us government?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

AlexDeGruven posted:

After the month I’ve had, yes. Yes, I know what it feels like to watch an organization crumble around me.

So I’ve decided I am going to tear down and rebuild a deck in my backyard. It will be a nice deck. With more direct access to my hot tub, a more open plan, steel cable railings instead of vertical wood slats for a more unobstructed vista view and a spot for a hammock that I will be able to lie in and watch all of my fucks float away in the gentle Spring breeze.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

El Jebus posted:

You work for the us government?

Fortunately, no. But sometimes the idiocy of decisions is pretty on par.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

:golfclap:

Our tech refresh recently went from 3 years to 4 years on most job roles.
We went from 3 years to 5 years and most recently 7 years. Can't wait to hear people bitch.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Agrikk posted:

After the month I’ve had, yes. Yes, I know what it feels like to watch an organization crumble around me.

So I’ve decided I am going to tear down and rebuild a deck in my backyard. It will be a nice deck. With more direct access to my hot tub, a more open plan, steel cable railings instead of vertical wood slats for a more unobstructed vista view and a spot for a hammock that I will be able to lie in and watch all of my fucks float away in the gentle Spring breeze.

This sounds nice :unsmith:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

TWBalls posted:

We went from 3 years to 5 years and most recently 7 years. Can't wait to hear people bitch.

7? I mean... What??

I know business machines don't really need more power for most people now but the drag that will have to be is something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A laptop will be hosed after four years

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thanks Ants posted:

A laptop will be hosed after four years

Oh come on.

I give the average user 2 weeks before they gently caress it up somehow.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm just glad if they still know where the laptop is after four years.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Ghostlight posted:

I'm just glad if they still know where the laptop is after four years.

Oh god, welcome to my new hell: figuring out how to nuke machines that have gone walkabout from orbit.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My desktop at work has an i3 3320 and 4gb of RAM.

It takes 7-10 minutes to reboot when it decides to stop responding from the horrible load of Chrome taking up 600MB of RAM. My goddamn T430 would run circles around it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I recently had a machine turn up in a police station half the country away (which is walking distance, because Ireland). It was stolen before I started work with this client, and someone decided that the best thing to do was just remove the asset number from the asset DB entirely. Took a lot of work to find a backup which didn't have a suspicious hole in it...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My desktop at work has an i3 3320 and 4gb of RAM.

It takes 7-10 minutes to reboot when it decides to stop responding from the horrible load of Chrome taking up 600MB of RAM. My goddamn T430 would run circles around it.

The other day I was at a customer site helping them try to migrate a bunch of random HVAC tuning applications over from an old XP laptop to a brand new machine. Decent Core i5, but it had 4GB of RAM and a 5400 RPM pile of spinning rust junk. The XP laptop was faster in every way.

My seven year old, third-gen i7 shitbox laptop ran circles around it with 8GB of RAM and a SSD.

5400 RPM drives these days are like sub-1080p displays, they only exist to hit a pricepoint and anyone responsible for buying one in the last few years should have their genitals attacked by rabid weasels.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yo, xsf421, you going to Dark Lord Day this weekend?

Out of state, not oncall, not driving, time to drink to forget.

Sadly I'm celiac, so no beerfests for me. I managed to get my system engineer promotion though, which is definitely a sign of the company crumbling around us.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

wolrah posted:

5400 RPM drives these days are like sub-1080p displays, they only exist to hit a pricepoint and anyone responsible for buying one in the last few years should have their genitals attacked by rabid weasels.

Add 4GB of ram to this. Anything an end-user is going to use - 8gb (hell, we spec out 16 here because we want to make sure we get 5 years).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Sadly I'm celiac, so no beerfests for me. I managed to get my system engineer promotion though, which is definitely a sign of the company crumbling around us.

Ahh, no fun there. I'll drink plenty in your stead.

Also, lol. If you had said architect it would have had more impact.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

wolrah posted:

Unless you need storage space for some reason, a workstation machine in this day and age should have an SSD rather than a spinning disk.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PremiumSupport posted:

Unless you need storage space for some reason, a workstation machine in this day and age should have an SSD rather than a spinning disk.

If it’s important enough to need it’s important enough to store. Storage should be on a nas or a san, no loving exceptions and no loving spinners.

:mad:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Schadenboner posted:

If it’s important enough to need it’s important enough to store. Storage should be on a nas or a san, no loving exceptions and no loving spinners.

:mad:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean no single-spinners on endpoints, obvs. Big spinners on RAIDed and backed-up storage is fine unless you’re :homebrew: af and can spring for all-flash arrays in which case “you do you” (as the kids say these days).

But spinners on desktops/laptops in 20-loving-19 are malpractice per se in my book.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
100% agreed on SSDs and 8GB of RAM, but I'm at least willing to let 7200 RPM drives slide without calling for the weasels because that usually at least means someone was trying to get a decent machine and not just the cheapest thing they can find. Stupidity vs. malice and such.

To me, a bare minimum standard for a general purpose computer in 2019 is four cores, 8 GB of RAM, and a SSD boot drive.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
For us, our retail store machines are generally i3 or i5, 4-8GB of RAM and 120GB SSD. More often than not these are refurbs, we don't generally buy new anymore. 99% of the use on these machines is remote desktop for our POS software, or Internet via Chrome with a bit of LibreOffice every now and then. Don't need much for that.

Corp. office machines are usually new, i5 or better and at least 8GB of RAM. Still only 120GB SSDs generally though as no need for local storage.

Spinners for desktop machines are a big NO. Still used for servers though.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
If your company uses Salesforce you're probably about to have a very interesting day and outages.

https://www.reddit.com/r/salesforce/comments/bpq336/salesforce_enables_modify_all_in_all_user_profiles/

quote:

The Salesforce Technology team is investigating an issue impacting Salesforce customers who use Pardot, or have used Pardot in the past. The deployment of a database script resulted in granting users broader data access than intended. To protect our customers, we have blocked access to all instances that contain affected customers until we can complete the removal of the inadvertent permissions in the affected customer orgs. As a result, customers who were not impacted may experience service disruption. In parallel, we are working to restore the original permissions as quickly as possible. Customers should continue to check Trust for updates.
via https://status.salesforce.com/products/all

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Ticket came in from the company lawyer: does anyone know of a file recovery program with a Server / Client setup so that I can silently push to a remote laptop, and run the file recovery client from here?

I need proof that someone was downloading some pirated stuff, but browsing their C$ doesn't show the incriminating files. I'm like 90% sure if I run Recova or something I'll see the evidence they tried to ditch, but I don't want to tip them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If there's a way to stealthily get an all-sectors image of his drive you could then browse it away from his computer.