Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also I'm pretty sure the whole dueling Chucky adaptations (with Mancini doing his TV show) precludes the movie from doing anything too similar to the stuff from the original series

It does, however, raise the possibility that the rights will one day be settled and we'll get Chucky Vs Chucky. It'll be like Kramer vs Kramer but slightly funnier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Chris Rock is an intelligent, thoughtful guy so I have no doubt he could write a solid horror flick, but I still had to laugh at this quote:

“When Chris Rock came to us and described in chilling detail his fantastic vision that reimagines and spins-off the world of the notorious Jigsaw Killer, we were all-in,” said Lionsgate motion picture group chairman Joe Drake in a statement

Not a sentence I ever thought I'd read but here we are.

It's interesting to think celebrities write fanfic too. Just, they get to go to meetings and get their fanfic made into movies.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
new child's play looks v bad, but it has aubrey plaza as a hot mom so i'll 100% see it in theaters

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mikeycp posted:

new child's play looks v bad, but it has aubrey plaza as a hot mom so i'll 100% see it in theaters

Same.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

mikeycp posted:

same tbh

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mikeycp posted:

Kvlt! posted:

same tbh
all of you stay away from my Hollywood wife

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
YOu could watch Aubrey Plaza in like 50 other, better movies

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, like the Grumpy Cat movie

RIP :smith:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Iron Crowned posted:

who's to say i haven't already

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Iron Crowned posted:

And?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

I think someone else mentioned it in the previous version of this thread, but this is why I would love to see Dwayne Johnson as like a Terminator 1 style terminator or as a gruesome serial killer but just playing it with the typical gregarious super motivational persona he exudes the entire time.

The Rock being super supportive of people's efforts to avoid being murdered by him is not something I knew I wanted

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Shrecknet posted:

It's interesting to think celebrities write fanfic too. Just, they get to go to meetings and get their fanfic made into movies.

Mark Patton wrote a bunch of fanfic about Jesse from NOES 2 moving to the big city and coming out as gay. He ends up meeting Mark Patton, IIRC, it gets pretty meta.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Catching up over the past few weeks but I'm here to happily inform everyone I'm finally watching Re-Animator for the first time, and I'm excited to be guided by Joe Bob. I hope he's gentle.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ThePagey posted:

Catching up over the past few weeks but I'm here to happily inform everyone I'm finally watching Re-Animator for the first time, and I'm excited to be guided by Joe Bob. I hope he's gentle.

Re-Animator is a good enough movie that I'd suggest watching without Joe Bob first, if only because I feel like he probably spoils some really good scenes in the Drive-In Total.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ThePagey posted:

I have a recommendation for you when you're done with that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I’m watching Inside.

:stonklol:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Re-Animator is a good enough movie that I'd suggest watching without Joe Bob first, if only because I feel like he probably spoils some really good scenes in the Drive-In Total.

If I remember correctly he weirdly spoils the whole movie in extreme detail in one long rant as a bit. Like you couldn’t possibly spoil it more

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

If I remember correctly he weirdly spoils the whole movie in extreme detail in one long rant as a bit. Like you couldn’t possibly spoil it more

Wasn't that Phantasm?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I’m watching Inside.

:stonklol:
Inside is my favorite New French Extremity film. I detest Martyrs and High Tension is only fun, not actually good.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, I considered it, but the bad thing about being involved in horror spheres but not going through the classics until now is that almost all of the classic horror surprises have been spoiled for me.

Basebf555 posted:

I have a recommendation for you when you're done with that.

Dope, I'll probably do a little take on it once I'm finished.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Drunkboxer posted:

It's not really weird. He treats it like you've either seen the film before or you're the kind of audience who would be used to the old type of trailers that lay out the entire film in a few minutes.

But yeah, if you want to avoid something like that then doing a first-time watch through Joe Bob is a bad idea.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Wasn't that Phantasm?

He might do it for both, I really remember it being in Re-Animator though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Isnt the plot of Phantasm "oh no an old man and some jawas are stealing our corpses"?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

Isnt the plot of Phantasm "oh no an old man and some jawas are stealing our corpses"?

It gets crazier than that in the sequels and Joe Bob did this like 5 minute long recitation of the entire plot of the series and when you lay it all out like that it's completely absurd.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have good movies about grave robbing

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ThePagey posted:

Yeah, I considered it, but the bad thing about being involved in horror spheres but not going through the classics until now is that almost all of the classic horror surprises have been spoiled for me.

Re-Animator's also in that weird place where it's not quite well-known enough to enter that level of pop-culture osmosis. Like, you've probably heard about Barbara Crampton getting head (:dadjoke:) but there's a lot of loving wonderful things in that movie you don't necessarily want Joe Bob laying out for you before it even begins.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah there’s this deep cut you may not have heard of called Frankenstein (1931).

Also, I remember I Sell the Dead being okish, but not great.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001, d.p . Peter Menzies jr.)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Dude, we were just talking about Phantasm.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

The Body Snatcher (1945) is good. Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Re-Animator's also in that weird place where it's not quite well-known enough to enter that level of pop-culture osmosis. Like, you've probably heard about Barbara Crampton getting head (:dadjoke:) but there's a lot of loving wonderful things in that movie you don't necessarily want Joe Bob laying out for you before it even begins.

For sure, I did catch the plot layout he did and none of it was news to me, it was definitely a long-take of him laying out the entire film. This one in particular I already knew because I have friends who swear by it, and it would repeatedly come up in conversations about Lovecraft when talking about references/adaptations when I was doing literary analysis.

I figure when it comes to genuine scares or more oppressive films I'm going to try and go into them fresh, but I was feeling a fun horror flick so this is pretty perfect for today.

ETA: Joe Bob also just explained that the actors were theater kids and made a good point about it, and now I'm realizing next up on my list is, finally, Return of the Living Dead.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 17, 2019

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

The Body Snatcher (1945) is good. Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi.

Ooh this looks right up my alley

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

Inside is my favorite New French Extremity film. I detest Martyrs and High Tension is only fun, not actually good.

I prefer Martyrs. Martyrs has clever plotting and suspense.

Inside is good, but my god, the over-the-top hyper-violence is absurd. It’s like melodramatic acting but with gore effects.

I’ll do a bigger writer-up for the May thread.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Inside > Martyrs > Frontier(s) > High Tension

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Poltergeist is about very half assed grave robbing if you think about it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

TheKingslayer posted:

Poltergeist is about very half assed grave robbing if you think about it.

Could argue Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things too.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001, d.p . Peter Menzies jr.)

Im looking for something with great acting, not just a lead with {checks Roger Eberts list of euphemisms} a great set of ears.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
Holy poo poo I had no idea the severed head portion of this movie went this way. These effects are loving fantastic, and the acting has no right to be this compelling.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I like that Joe Bob praises David Gale so much because he's very loving good in that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kvlt! posted:

Inside > Martyrs > Frontier(s) > High Tension

I agree with that order, although Inside is the only one I'd actually consider good.

LesterGroans posted:

I like that Joe Bob praises David Gale so much because he's very loving good in that movie.

Gale and Combs play off each other beautifully.