Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, it's the same idea as autocombos, it makes it easier to do flashy moves for casual players, but learning the advanced way will help you in the long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Are there charge chars? Extra cool down on the walk up flash kick seems like a fine trade off.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Autocombos and other easy input options in fgs arent even useful sometimes. my wife was really excited to play dbz but is loving incapable of leaving the pad at neutral so instead of autocombo all she ever did was a command normal over and over. Getting her to stop doing that was harder than teaching her how to do a real combo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

P-Mack posted:

Are there charge chars? Extra cool down on the walk up flash kick seems like a fine trade off.

The video says that Kat has charges, I'm sure someone else will too.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
apparently cooldowns are standardized to 1sec for command input, 3sec for skill button, 10sec for EX? also the reason supers put all your command moves on cooldown is to punish you for whiffing cause they'll all come back up by the time the cutscene ends

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Natural 20 posted:

It's literally that I just get so stressed out during ranked that eventually, even though i like playing the drat things I can't make myself play any more.

I don't like playing ranked in any game, and honestly a lot of us who are actually pretty okay at FGs don't. Playing 1–3 matches with a series of randos who are probably doing some gimmicky bullshit is stressful and not very fun. I find that when I do it, even though I'm winning (bc I don't play enough to be out of the low ranks), I'm like, pissed off about it and it makes me not wanna do it. Everyone is encouraging you to go to locals, and they're not wrong, but it's also not weird that you don't like ranked.

IMO the best alternative is to play long sets in unranked, e.g. with people you've met in Discord (be it the goon FG one or just one for the games you like). You will learn more this way because you actually have time to try to adapt to the other player while they do the same to you, and it helps dissolve the veil of adversarial anonymity that makes ranked especially annoying.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ranked sucks because ranked play rewards gimmicks, randomness and burst damage. People just go ham and you don't really learn anything playing against the 120th Ken that does random tatsus and jump-ins because they just wanna get the points. It sucks twice as much if you're into playing zoners/poke-heavy characters, because you...you just don't get to play your game. When I played SF4 daily, I'd often lose matches because I gave up on my Ranked Rule: never do anything, just hold downback and punish.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In Training posted:

It just means the people who weren't gonna play much anyway can complain that FG tryhards get a mechanical advantage from finger puzzles.

The game isn't made for people who like fighting games, it's for people who play Granblue Fanty and other cell phone games and nothing else

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The context is that their method of implementing it is possibly irritating for that audience as the FG inputs get an advantage.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Apparently there's a block button so that's already rear end.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Dias posted:

Apparently there's a block button so that's already rear end.

VF has a block button. Watch what you say.... theres some crazy people on the internet....

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
considering that they made it so that doing specials for real negates the cooldowns, i will bet anybody here real actual money that using the block button won't be as good as actually blocking

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

when you use a hitbox every game has a block button

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Broken Loose posted:

considering that they made it so that doing specials for real negates the cooldowns, i will bet anybody here real actual money that using the block button won't be as good as actually blocking

Jiyuna seemed to imply that it stops crossups so I'unno what they'd have to do, just having a way to go "lol gently caress your mixup" already seems strong.

Also I'll talk poo poo about VF, no one plays it and I had to do the stupid mission in Kiwami 2 against the stupid AI uuuugh

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
apparently you can't throw break if you use the block button, among other things

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Bring back auto-blocking where you automatically block attacks X times, and then you can't block again for the rest of the match

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Frankly this game is looking like an attempt at simplifying things that just makes them even more confusing.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

when I first played tekken I thought combos were hard. Then I played a bunch of anime poo poo and KoF and ended up getting some simple bnbs down in like a day after a nearly year long break :v

They still last a long time so getting hit by them sucks but doing them isn't that hard.

Soulcalibur has the best combos for small idiot children though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Seeing training mode and combos as just part of the game (it is the actual single player content of fighting games) instead of busywork was definitely a weird perspective shift for me.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

re: granblue, the idea of cooldowns in a fighting game sounds like it would just make things more complex in terms of knowing what you're allowed/able to do at any given moment. Seems counterintuative to what they're going for.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It was tried on Rising Thunder and didn't move the needle in any meaningful way

Speaking of, does anyone have that video of the guy melting down over Rising Thunder because it's one of the greatest fg videos of all time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

inthesto posted:

It was tried on Rising Thunder and didn't move the needle in any meaningful way

Speaking of, does anyone have that video of the guy melting down over Rising Thunder because it's one of the greatest fg videos of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0WetHkYVtw

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Crocoswine posted:

re: granblue, the idea of cooldowns in a fighting game sounds like it would just make things more complex in terms of knowing what you're allowed/able to do at any given moment. Seems counterintuative to what they're going for.

Overall I don't think it will help, but I feel like the ideas for cooldowns here don't seem that bad. EX's having longer cooldown is kinda weird but if the EXs are strong enough tools on their own then it sorta makes sense. And the Supers cooldown thing sounds fine.

Then again I play Jack-O in Xrd so what do I know lol

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ventana posted:

Overall I don't think it will help, but I feel like the ideas for cooldowns here don't seem that bad. EX's having longer cooldown is kinda weird but if the EXs are strong enough tools on their own then it sorta makes sense. And the Supers cooldown thing sounds fine.

Then again I play Jack-O in Xrd so what do I know lol

The EX moves don't cost any meter. Longer cooldown is the only price you pay for them.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Natural 20 posted:

Like I dunno, I just watched high level tekken and you hit a man, launch 'em and there's like a good 5-10 seconds of just juggling the dude. It's probably pretty easy but I take days to learn combos that people get down in minutes. I remember when FighterZ launched and I had to take a full week to learn the universal BnB and then I found out that it wasn't optimal and there was a version that fit in another 2h and I basically couldn't learn it despite weeks of trying.

Anyway, I'd love to play locals but I'm a) a 30 year old dude with a full time job that takes way too long and b) there's no real b) I just don't know anyone in London to play with and am rather put off by being an old man that just shows up.

I've games I really enjoy playing, I think I'm actually good at Ultimate because at least some of the millions of hours I spent playing melee translates over fairly well and I actually enjoyed SFV. (Yes that's hard to believe but I've never played a character in a traditional fighting game that resonated with me more than Season 1 Laura) as well ,as DBFZ until I hit 530k and lost all drive to keep going. It's literally that I just get so stressed out during ranked that eventually, even though i like playing the drat things I can't make myself play any more.

I think the answer of pick low tier and expect nothing might be a good one.

30 isn't that old, Im 39 next week and I started going to offline sessions for the first time aged 35 up here in Liverpool.

Hell, the best King player in the the UK is in his 40s and has 3 kids! I know a few people in the London scene, if you want an idea of where to find games I can for sure help, just drop me a message :)

Edit: read on and maybe it's not what you want, offer goes to anyone though, and double if you're near Merseyside, we have a supremely friendly local scene.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 18, 2019

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The EX moves don't cost any meter. Longer cooldown is the only price you pay for them.

This would be pretty interesting design space in a normal FG as a single character's gimmick, but it feels weird when applied to everyone.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont think cooldowns are supposed to like, untangle some complicated FG mechanic for new people. like people have said this is a game for granblue (and by extention rpg) players and things like cooldowns are very familiar concepts there.

the movement speed looks bad and i cant say im thrilled about a block button though

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Countblanc posted:

i dont think cooldowns are supposed to like, untangle some complicated FG mechanic for new people. like people have said this is a game for granblue (and by extention rpg) players and things like cooldowns are very familiar concepts there.

the movement speed looks bad and i cant say im thrilled about a block button though

I was going to say, I'm pretty sure at least part of the motivation for the cooldown system + 4 skills per character is because that's how the game works. Even the UI and the font of a lot of the stuff is the same.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Natural 20 posted:

Like I dunno, I just watched high level tekken and you hit a man, launch 'em and there's like a good 5-10 seconds of just juggling the dude. It's probably pretty easy but I take days to learn combos that people get down in minutes. I remember when FighterZ launched and I had to take a full week to learn the universal BnB and then I found out that it wasn't optimal and there was a version that fit in another 2h and I basically couldn't learn it despite weeks of trying.

Anyway, I'd love to play locals but I'm a) a 30 year old dude with a full time job that takes way too long and b) there's no real b) I just don't know anyone in London to play with and am rather put off by being an old man that just shows up.

I've games I really enjoy playing, I think I'm actually good at Ultimate because at least some of the millions of hours I spent playing melee translates over fairly well and I actually enjoyed SFV. (Yes that's hard to believe but I've never played a character in a traditional fighting game that resonated with me more than Season 1 Laura) as well as DBFZ until I hit 530k and lost all drive to keep going. It's literally that I just get so stressed out during ranked that eventually, even though i like playing the drat things I can't make myself play any more.

I think the answer of pick low tier and expect nothing might be a good one.

Damdai started playing ST in his late 20s/early 30s and now he's mid-30s and everyone thinks he's an OG because he's so good at the old game

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
DOA6 had a recent update that might have changed a bunch of stuff, so far I see that the meter even works different now, but I cant find any info online about it.

They also added an esport mode.

Surely tournaments all over the world will now be tripping over themselves to feature DOA6.

Edit: Also the latest port of +R came out and they RUINED IT
https://youtu.be/86dR1HeSwJA

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 18, 2019

MoukoKHZ
Sep 23, 2010

Dias posted:

Jiyuna seemed to imply that it stops crossups so I'unno what they'd have to do, just having a way to go "lol gently caress your mixup" already seems strong.

Also I'll talk poo poo about VF, no one plays it and I had to do the stupid mission in Kiwami 2 against the stupid AI uuuugh

Nobody plays VF because Sega has forgotten it has properties other than a blue hedgehog or japanese gangsters.
:smith:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: Also the latest port of +R came out and they RUINED IT
What the gently caress ArcSys

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Gutcruncher posted:

Also the latest port of +R came out and they RUINED IT

what version of the game is this? all of the recent ports?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Specifically it’s the recent Switch version of +R. I haven’t played the PS4 port but I doubt it’s any different.

It actually looks more like an accident where they hosed up the white layer and made it entirely opaque but with Sony becoming big prudes over the past year it’s possible they banned Faust’s buttplay and Arcsys didn’t make a separate uncensored version for switch.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kancho is pure and good

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gutcruncher posted:

DOA6 had a recent update that might have changed a bunch of stuff, so far I see that the meter even works different now, but I cant find any info online about it.

They also added an esport mode.

Surely tournaments all over the world will now be tripping over themselves to feature DOA6.

This is cool and good actually

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, that Honoka face is Realdollish in nature. Brrr.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Specifically it’s the recent Switch version of +R. I haven’t played the PS4 port but I doubt it’s any different.

It actually looks more like an accident where they hosed up the white layer and made it entirely opaque but with Sony becoming big prudes over the past year it’s possible they banned Faust’s buttplay and Arcsys didn’t make a separate uncensored version for switch.

There is no PS4 version, because arcsys is determined to make me drag around a ps3 to events until the day I die.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Dias posted:

Man, that Honoka face is Realdollish in nature. Brrr.

uguu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

There is no PS4 version, because arcsys is determined to make me drag around a ps3 to events until the day I die.

Woah I could’ve sworn there was. That surprising.

I guess it really was just a fuckup