Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ThePagey posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea the severed head portion of this movie went this way. These effects are loving fantastic, and the acting has no right to be this compelling.

The Reanimator?

Edit: hell yeah, hope you enjoyed the pencil snaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

Does anyone have good movies about grave robbing

Haven't seen it since I was very young, but I remember The Doctor and the Devils – which is one of Freddie Francis's final movies – being a good time. Has a hell of cast too, with Timothy Dalton, Jonathan Pryce, Julian Sands, and Patrick Stewart.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Some recent stuff about Midsommar.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3561871/ari-aster-says-midsommar-something-companion-hereditary/

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

The Mummy starring Brendan Fraser

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Almost Blue posted:

Haven't seen it since I was very young, but I remember The Doctor and the Devils – which is one of Freddie Francis's final movies – being a good time. Has a hell of cast too, with Timothy Dalton, Jonathan Pryce, Julian Sands, and Patrick Stewart.

Should I watch this or the Flesh and the Fiends if I only wanna watch one Burke and Hare movie?

Pomp posted:

The Mummy starring Brendan Fraser

I watched this movie as a little kid and i don't get why people like it even through nostalgia goggles.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

A strong cast with good chemistry, the beautiful cinematography by Adrian Biddle (who also worked on Aliens and Thelma & Louise among other things), and a script that deftly blends humour with horror. Really, what's not to like?

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 17, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
both of the frasier mummies are good fun

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

One of the few places I massively differ with this thread is Inside. What a pile of poo poo.

I’m gonna watch Butterfly Kisses with some friends tonight Dickeye this better be good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

A strong cast with good chemistry, the beautiful cinematography by Mac Ahlberg (who also worked on Re-Animator and Good Burger among other things), and a scrip that deftly blends humour with horror. Really, what's not to like about Evil Bong?

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
The security guard loving ruled. And I deeply appreciate films that are willing to go full on with their nudity.

That last 20 minutes was genuinely some of the most fun bits of a horror movie I've ever seen. That rocked hard.

Re-Animator was a good flick and I'm glad I was still surprised despite already going into today knowing the whole plot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Samuel Clemens posted:

A strong cast with good chemistry, the beautiful cinematography by Adrian Biddle (who also worked on Aliens and Thelma & Louise among other things), and a script that deftly blends humour with horror. Really, what's not to like?

It owns dead old bones

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fine i'm gonna watch evil bong tonight GOD

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

I watched this movie as a little kid and i don't get why people like it even through nostalgia goggles.

The Mummy really came to life in the theater because of the sound. Without that it loses a lot.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ThePagey posted:

The security guard loving ruled. And I deeply appreciate films that are willing to go full on with their nudity.

That last 20 minutes was genuinely some of the most fun bits of a horror movie I've ever seen. That rocked hard.

There's a horror movie about a security guard?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

The Mummy really came to life in the theater because of the sound. Without that it loses a lot.

you just need good headphones and a lot of weed

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
40 bucks a week rent

i wish i became an adult in a good economy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sell me on Evil Bong 2 and beyond. Like, yea I enjoyed Evil Bong but where does the series go from here?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

Night Watchmen is with a bunch of security guards, and vampire clowns.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

Sell me on Evil Bong 2 and beyond. Like, yea I enjoyed Evil Bong but where does the series go from here?

Higher and higher.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

i know i don't need a sell on a movie subtitled "king bong," why do you?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Pomp posted:

i know i don't need a sell on a movie subtitled "king bong," why do you?

Evil Bong vs the Gingerdead Man's pretty funny.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

M_Sinistrari posted:

Night Watchmen is with a bunch of security guards, and vampire clowns.

This is true, I enjoyed it.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

I have a recommendation for you when you're done with that.

Is it Dagon?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Observe and Report is sort of a horror movie.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

Should I watch this or the Flesh and the Fiends if I only wanna watch one Burke and Hare movie?

Hmm, probably Flesh and the Fiends, but it's been forever since I've seen either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Frasier's Mummy is good fun. I'd call it more action than horror, but there's enough good monster imagery and body horror that I think it counts. Its not scary or anything but that's mostly because of the action movie pacing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Basebf555 posted:

I have a recommendation for you when you're done with that.

Castle Freak, obviously. :v:

I got off work not too long ago so I just saw that Neu-Chucky. Holy poo poo does that look awful. It was fine when it was half-hidden in darkness but they didn't even bother making it look like a toy. It's like a flesh goblin with glowing eyes and red hair.

Also it's an honor to finally get a thread title!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

STAC Goat posted:

Frasier's Mummy is good fun. I'd call it more action than horror, but there's enough good monster imagery and body horror that I think it counts. Its not scary or anything but that's mostly because of the action movie pacing.

The scarabs under the skin are genuinely nasty.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think if you could go back in time you could probably film a straight horror film with almost the exact same script and scenes but a slower pacing and different cinematography. There's a whole lot of people getting eaten alive by bugs and monsters and poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think if you could go back in time you could probably film a straight horror film with almost the exact same script and scenes but a slower pacing and different cinematography. There's a whole lot of people getting eaten alive by bugs and monsters and poo poo.

It was absolutely perfect for it's time though, that's why there's nostalgia attached to it. All the flashy CGI effects that make it more of an adventure movie than a horror movie were the main draw, it all still felt fresh and new at that time and the novelty hadn't worn off yet. Remember this is 1999, the year The Matrix came out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

STAC Goat posted:

"Prince Imhotep thanks you for your hospitality ... and for your eyes, and for your tongue. But I'm afraid more is needed..."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

It was absolutely perfect for it's time though, that's why there's nostalgia attached to it. All the flashy CGI effects that make it more of an adventure movie than a horror movie were the main draw, it all still felt fresh and new at that time and the novelty hadn't worn off yet. Remember this is 1999, the year The Matrix came out.

Yeah, I'm not knocking it. Like I said, I think its a lot of fun and its one of those films I can just randomly turn on in the middle and I'll probably just leave it on.

It was just an idea that popped in my head that I think speaks to how much "is this horror?" can come down to the filmmaker's intent and approach because I think that for as good an action movie The Mummy is I think it could be as good a horror movie if filmed/cut slightly differently.

That doesn't mean it NEEDS to be done that or it was some kind of mistake. Its a good film and as you said very well timed.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

The Pledge by Digby Rumsey is a dope short film about reverse grave robbing if you can track down a copy.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Evil Bong is a strong competitor for sure, but the one thing it lacks (and the one thing I forgot to mention in my post) is Jerry Goldsmith's bombastic score.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I said this back when the Cruise Mummy was coming out and I stand by it

There has never been one truly great, iconic Mummy film. The best Mummy movies tend to be ones where he's a guest star.

Most Mummy movies and Mummy related media are kind of rear end, actually. Often in entertaining ways, but still rear end. Like blood from the mummy's tomb

Lotta rear end in that one

The Fraiser Mummy films are arguably up there for best, just by virtue of existing recently.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I enjoyed the first two Mummy movies, but the character dynamics line up so closely with this long-running series of historical mystery novels that I always wondered if there was some influence there. The books don't include any supernatural stuff, but the movie's leads, some of the side characters, and even that precocious kid they have in the sequel are all so close to what I pictured from those novels that I can't see The Mummy without wishing we'd gotten some Amelia Peabody movies instead. Those would have been even less horror though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Butterfly Kisses is the best film adaptation of House of Leaves we’ll ever get.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

The Mummy movies are mostly fun but honestly they could be complete dogshit and still be worth existing for the scene where Brendan Fraiser one-hand whips a chair at Benny.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

The Flesh and the Fiends, a 1960 British horror retelling of the Burke and Hare story starring Peter Cushing and Donald Pleasance, is loving outstanding

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Holy moly, Butterfly Kisses is dope as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey, Get Out is "recently added" to Netflix. Neat.