Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hit the ? Under my user name and check out my post history in the thread from the last few years. Ive addressed a fair few things in the thread.

I havent completed a buyers guide post yet but its on my to-do.

Awesome and thanks!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Gas is like $4.20 a gallon and this is not a fuel sipper.. you will stop listening to music because 8300 RPM sounds so good... the aforementioned premature rear tire wear....

Issues I've learned to live with

I don't have a clue how much things like gas and milk and whatever cost. I know the oil changes will be expensive according to my buddy that has an e46 and and e92 m3. I already know all about that 8k RPM life and the glorious sounds it makes, both of my cars doing that would be pretty sweet. The M3 would admittedly sound better than the S2000.

My main concern is that even though I'm not planning to stay in Colorado I'll be here for at least one more winter at minimum and I do winter sports activities in the mountains. I'd have a winter tire set of course, but it's still a concern. I do tend to avoid the best ski days because they're also the worst days to drive to the resorts though so it's probably not an actual issue. The tire wear thing would probably get me, especially with my current track record of going through one pair of winter tires every season with my GTI...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

rscott posted:

I have a low profile jack that can get under my E28 which is pretty low, I'm wondering if it'll be a problem on the E82

e: speaking of leaking valve covers on N5X engines, I'm 96% sure I have a leak in at least one spot. I need to scrub the engine bay to be sure after the expansion tank cracked but I get an occasional oil smell after the car is warmed up and I can see residue on the heat shield and maybe on the downpipe? I don't know, that engine bay is hella crowded.

Well that jack point is right between the wheels. So if you can get the jack to the middle of the wheels without hitting the bumper, it should be good. There's a jack on Amazon that I think is long enough. I just have the low profile steel jack from harbor freight.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Gas is like $4.20 a gallon and this is not a fuel sipper.. you will stop listening to music because 8300 RPM sounds so good... the aforementioned premature rear tire wear....

Issues I've learned to live with

Outlier gas price or average-ish? I mean it's still cheap by European standards, but higher than the last time I heard Americans complain about the price. In Sweden our price just went up to $6.70 a gallon lol.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Premium has crept back up to over $4/gal in the Northwest and presumably most of the urban west coast. But if youre buying an M3 gas prices should be the least of your concerns.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's been between $3.90-$4.10 in Illinois (premium) the last few months. Add like $0.30 if you're in Cook County. Add another $0.50 if you're in Chicago.

People usually are talking about regular when prices come up, so knock $0.50 off. So I see about $3.50 for regular most places.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I just rented a car for a day in KC and the rental place cost per gallon was $2.71 so I assume that it was less than that when I filled it back up at a regular gas station?

On the e90, cold weather package cars have fold down rear seats while there's only a pass through on cars without it while the e92's all have fold down seats, correct? I'd prefer a sedan but would settle for the right coupe.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

It's been between $3.90-$4.10 in Illinois (premium) the last few months. Add like $0.30 if you're in Cook County. Add another $0.50 if you're in Chicago.

People usually are talking about regular when prices come up, so knock $0.50 off. So I see about $3.50 for regular most places.

I live in the city it's not that expensive. Between $3.90-$4.10 in the city though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
$3.15-3.35 for 93 here in NE Ohio.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
now that this has turned in to a gas price thread we've been up over $4/gal for 93 in Michigan for a few months now

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

fknlo posted:

Awesome and thanks!

I don't have a clue how much things like gas and milk and whatever cost. I know the oil changes will be expensive according to my buddy that has an e46 and and e92 m3. I already know all about that 8k RPM life and the glorious sounds it makes, both of my cars doing that would be pretty sweet. The M3 would admittedly sound better than the S2000.

My main concern is that even though I'm not planning to stay in Colorado I'll be here for at least one more winter at minimum and I do winter sports activities in the mountains. I'd have a winter tire set of course, but it's still a concern. I do tend to avoid the best ski days because they're also the worst days to drive to the resorts though so it's probably not an actual issue. The tire wear thing would probably get me, especially with my current track record of going through one pair of winter tires every season with my GTI...

Dont forget the A/C evaporator, common failure on all E9x cars. But the V8 blocks the firewall access panel to get in the dash so the entire dash has to come out. $2700 at an indie shop.

gently caress.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

fknlo posted:

I just rented a car for a day in KC and the rental place cost per gallon was $2.71 so I assume that it was less than that when I filled it back up at a regular gas station?

Was that the pre-pay price? That's usually cheaper than the local cost, but you have to pay for an entire tank up front. They make up the money with whatever gas is left in the tank when you return it while it looks like a good deal to the renter. (eg, pay for ten gallons, return it with two gallons left, they only have to put in eight gallons and pocket the rest)

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

If it makes any of you feel better over where I am in the UK the cheaper options work out to $6.25 per US gallon at current exchange rates.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah but you don't have to beg on the internet to get an epipen.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

That depends on how Brexit goes really.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Dont forget the A/C evaporator, common failure on all E9x cars. But the V8 blocks the firewall access panel to get in the dash so the entire dash has to come out. $2700 at an indie shop.

gently caress.

That sounds fun. I always assume there's something like this with all the superior German engineering.

Uthor posted:

Was that the pre-pay price? That's usually cheaper than the local cost, but you have to pay for an entire tank up front. They make up the money with whatever gas is left in the tank when you return it while it looks like a good deal to the renter. (eg, pay for ten gallons, return it with two gallons left, they only have to put in eight gallons and pocket the rest)

I always forget that it's for a full tank.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

Awesome and thanks!

Oil change is about $275 if you do it yourself, it takes 10 liters of oil that's somewhere between $12-16 each, plus the filter and the washer/etc. I just pay my indy guy $300 to do it since I'm lazy.
I don't pay attention to the price of gas, it's cheaper than it is in Europe and I need to buy it, so... but it's also $15 more to fill it up from mostly empty than it was a few months ago. THANKS OBAMA.

I'm pretty sure all the Coupes have the fold-down back seat but I also read somewhere that maybe it was just the 2008's that came with it without the "Cold Weather Package".
Here's the view from the trunk with the seats down.

You can also check my posts in this thread to go with Somewhat Heroic's, we've both chronicled ownership for a few years now. The "tire wear" is not something to be worried about, I got about 16k miles out of a set of Michelin PSS's while doing burnouts and donuts and generally driving it as acutely as possible to get the full value out of the PSS's insanely good front end grip.

Uthor posted:

The trick is to drive it for 60 miles after the "you're out of gas!!!!" light comes on and coast up to the return queue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Holy poo poo 275 dollars for oil. Whole oil change kit for me was 60 bucks.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm pretty sure all the Coupes have the fold-down back seat but I also read somewhere that maybe it was just the 2008's that came with it without the "Cold Weather Package".
Here's the view from the trunk with the seats down.

You can also check my posts in this thread to go with Somewhat Heroic's, we've both chronicled ownership for a few years now. The "tire wear" is not something to be worried about, I got about 16k miles out of a set of Michelin PSS's while doing burnouts and donuts and generally driving it as acutely as possible to get the full value out of the PSS's insanely good front end grip.

The trick is to drive it for 60 miles after the "you're out of gas!!!!" light comes on and coast up to the return queue.

Cool and thanks! I've driven hatchbacks for so long and often carry things that would require folding seats in a normal car that they're pretty much mandatory for me. There's a 2008 6MT at a local dealer that I'm gonna try to test drive once my weekend comes around. I've ridden in an e90 but haven't driven one, so that will hopefully be fun.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo 275 dollars for oil. Whole oil change kit for me was 60 bucks.

The S65 demands ten quarts, and its close to $20/quart.

I think the Germans circumvented the GD Cooling System with this engine and made it oil cooled.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't know if it's the correct spec, but I would get Mobil 1 European formula for my VW from Walmart at like $25 for 5 qts.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I'm having an issues with my E36 M3. I went to start it the other day and it had a dead miss and threw a p0301 code for a misfire on #1 cylinder. Since then
I have:

Swapped the coil - no code change
Swapped the spark plug - no code change
Tested the coil/s: all within spec for resistance.
Said gently caress it and ordered a new coil and installed it anyhow - no code change
Ran a compression test. All cylinders are 200psi (cold). Also no milkshake.
Listened to all of the injectors with a stethoscope. All clicking equally.
Tested the injector plug for power - shows battery voltage w/key on.
Swapped injectors - no code change ( actually I caused a misfire on #5 with this because I'm sure I hamfisted something and probably ruined a good injector.)

Nothing has moved the misfire from #1 cylinder. My hunch is that there is no spark. However, when I looked up how to test for spark everything I read indicated that you don't test individual coil pack style ignitions the old way of laying the spark plug on the head and cranking it over so I haven't actually SEEN any spark and doing so could possibly damage the ECU (?); I've just made multimeter measurements of the various parts that have checked out okay.

What am I missing? TIA.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 19, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I read though this walk though and I think it's a pretty thorough explanation of how to test for spark/ignition signal on a COP setup.

However I'm thinking that this test will probably give you an answer that's going to have you looking at a wiring diagram. Could just be something relatively easy like a bad connection right at the coil, though.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
injector?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Does it start misfiring immediately or only once it hits closed loop operation? I had a misfire issue on my e46 that started as a single cylinder misfire, and eventually progressed to the full bank misfiring. Turned out to be a failing O2 sensor which failed saying super rich, causing the bank to lean out and misfire. Started with a single cylinder and got worse as the sensor failed. The key was it ran fine with the precat O2 sensors unplugged (in open loop / startup mode).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Uthor posted:

I don't know if it's the correct spec, but I would get Mobil 1 European formula for my VW from Walmart at like $25 for 5 qts.

It isn't. If you're buying an M car just loving suck it up and use the specified oil.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It isn't. If you're buying an M car just loving suck it up and use the specified oil.

:emptyquote:

Its like buying a sports car and complaining about needing to use premium grade fuel. Its pay to play.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:emptyquote:

Its like buying a sports car and complaining about needing to use premium grade fuel. Its pay to play.

Especially when the rod bearings are literally a wear item.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Welp, I did it. Money down on a 2004 330ci coupe, sight unseen, all the on way the other side of the country. :ohdear:

I don't even have pictures because I forgot to save them before the listing got taken down. :v:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

Welp, I did it. Money down on a 2004 330ci coupe, sight unseen, all the on way the other side of the country. :ohdear:

I don't even have pictures because I forgot to save them before the listing got taken down. :v:
Same car I had, and I've missed it ever since I sold it. Enjoy, it's a hell of a machine.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

RillAkBea posted:

The 330 will be extremely fun driving, good find. What colours are the exterior and interior?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I actually wanted a 330ci before I bought my E82 but I couldn't find any in decent shape and I didn't want to go on a cross country road trip, congrats

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The S65 demands ten quarts, and it’s close to $20/quart.
Ahem it's Superior German Liters, and also good luck finding 10w60 in 99% of auto stores that aren't "some" O'Reilly's.

So yeah, the aforementioned 10 gallon jug of "Motor Oil With European Style Seasoning" isn't gonna cut it.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

TrueChaos posted:

Does it start misfiring immediately or only once it hits closed loop operation? I had a misfire issue on my e46 that started as a single cylinder misfire, and eventually progressed to the full bank misfiring. Turned out to be a failing O2 sensor which failed saying super rich, causing the bank to lean out and misfire. Started with a single cylinder and got worse as the sensor failed. The key was it ran fine with the precat O2 sensors unplugged (in open loop / startup mode).

Misfires immediately. I will just start over from the beginning because I've clearly missed something along the way.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RillAkBea posted:

You're going to love it.

I would have replaced my '05 in a heartbeat if they weren't so hard to find in good condition for a reasonable price. I miss it constantly.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

Ahem it's Superior German Liters, and also good luck finding 10w60 in 99% of auto stores that aren't "some" O'Reilly's.

So yeah, the aforementioned 10 gallon jug of "Motor Oil With European Style Seasoning" isn't gonna cut it.

Looks like 2 of the Advance Auto stores in the town I'm in carry Castrol 10w-60 at $15 a liter. I'm actually a bit surprised by that.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

RillAkBea posted:

Large reason im keeping the 323ci. You cant find them anywhere.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

Looks like 2 of the Advance Auto stores in the town I'm in carry Castrol 10w-60 at $15 a liter. I'm actually a bit surprised by that.

Yeah, sounds like you're 99% of the way to ownership. Welcome!

(make sure you can actually find 10 in the store, the O'Reillys I buy top up bottles from - it takes about .75 of a liter in between changes, from what I can tell that's normal/low for 4500 miles - almost always has 10 of the 1 case accounted for by someone who pre-pays for it/an employee hides them for a friend or whatever.)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Same car I had, and I've missed it ever since I sold it. Enjoy, it's a hell of a machine.

Waffle House posted:

The 330 will be extremely fun driving, good find. What colours are the exterior and interior?

Paradoxish posted:

You're going to love it.

I would have replaced my '05 in a heartbeat if they weren't so hard to find in good condition for a reasonable price. I miss it constantly.

Preoptopus posted:

Large reason im keeping the 323ci. You cant find them anywhere.

One of the main reasons I chose this car over something newer is comments like these which I found almost everywhere I looked.

Exterior is a dark blue metallic, the listing didn't say the exact color code, and it has the M-Sport bumpers, suspension too I guess if PO hasn't messed with it. Interior is all black/dark grey with black trim and cloth seats because leather would be suicide in the southern Japanese summer.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

More and more I just think Ill hold on to my 330ci forever. Its no M3 but its way cheaper and still a fun ride if you arent hitting the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Richmond (VA) BMW has a ton of 2018s left over and is having a fire sale. A M3 went for $52k a few weeks ago. Still several 3s and a decently equipped X2 if you can stomach that monstrosity.