Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Before I knew how to break the game I gave up on a normal fight and just filled the overdrive gauges of all of my summons. The boss can one shot any summon but you still get one shot and he wastes a turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

I remember using some item that doubles your HP for the fight? Is that a thing?

Stamina Tablets. Rare steal from the treasure chests on the Moonflow. I had about 4 of them on my last run bec ause you have no choice but to grind forevr with Rikku so I picked those up along the way.

Also Mega Vitality is a Mix that doubles everybody's max HP. I can't remember all the combinations to make it right now...i should have written this poo poo down.

Trasson posted:

That is absolutely a killer of a fight, and the cutscene before it doesn't help, but you've actually got a shockingly larger number of options than you think. The main two tricks are a one-two punch with Lance of Atrophy into Full-Life and Dispel into Cross Cleave/Total Annihilation. The first one you can customize Zombieward for using storebought Holy Waters or set up Reflect to bounce the Full-Life cast. The second is best handled by having a separate tank team, preferably set up with Protect/Shell (respectively) and Haste, to switch in after the Dispel and then after the Total Annihilation.

Another option is to fill up everyone's Overdrives as well as all of your Aeon overdrives. Flux does only have 70000 HP and Energy Ray/Hellfire/Thor's Hammer/Diamond Dust/Megaflare will probably be good for 50000 or so depending on Yuna's Magic.

Finally, there's the grindy cheese methods. Backtrack to the Calm Lands and go hi the Monster Arena if you haven't. Capture every monster in the Calm Lands so you can get acknowledgement for capturing from other areas. From there, go capture everything in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth. Doing that unlocks Don Tonberry. Steal from him: his common steal is the Candle of Life which can be used to customize Zombieproof, which will help immensely with Lance of Atrophy.

Alternatively, you can go take a Chocobo over to Remiem Temple. Fighting Shiva there repeatedly will give you Star Curtains, which you can use to customize SOS Reflect or Auto-Reflect onto some armor.

Finally, the ultimate cheese method is, fair warning, the "I'm done with FFX and want the option to Vanish-Doom all the bosses". Do the Chocobo Race at Remiem Temple and open three chests without hitting a single one of the poles and win the race. Doing this will get you 30 Wings to Discovery. Use Rikku's Overdrive to Mix two of them together to unleash Trio of 9999, which confers a status upon your battle party causing all of their actions to do 9999 points of damage/healing. From there, it's a simple matter to use Overdrives, Use items like Fire Gems, or even regular attacks to take apart anything in the remaining story.

Absolutely none of this forgives throwing you into that fight with a whole bunch of possibilities for you to start losing and never stop with no warning or signposting, and with a five minute cutscene before it. I love FFX but the Flux fight is definitely one of its low points.

i wish I had known about Trio of 9999 when I played the FFX difficulty mod that gave a couple bosses 240-300K HP, elemental absorption and phys defense so high your attacks do half damage. Oh well, I found a better version of that mod with the Way Back Machine before he went insane and made that modification.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 18, 2019

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I searched this post high and low for "just use poison oh my god" and found nothing

because like holy poo poo just use poison oh my god

It's almost hilarious how much damage it does, it's like getting a fourth character for the fight who every now and again just gets to go twice. Once you get him set up, you can kinda just stall for time for free.

Look what's the point of suggesting RPG strats if you're not going to go all in on five hour long "my uncle works at Nintendo" grind session plans.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think there's been any FF story bosses after X that were real roadblocks to me like some of the ones in that game but maybe it's just that I'm not a kid anymore

I wish I could tell 8 year old me to throw a phoenix down on the Iifa tree boss instead of restarting the entire game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why are the most badass bosses like the skeleton dinosaur or the ghost train the ones you can cheese with a Phoenix Down?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like the president decoy in FF8 you can kill that way

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Trasson posted:

That is absolutely a killer of a fight, and the cutscene before it doesn't help, but you've actually got a shockingly larger number of options than you think. The main two tricks are a one-two punch with Lance of Atrophy into Full-Life and Dispel into Cross Cleave/Total Annihilation. The first one you can customize Zombieward for using storebought Holy Waters or set up Reflect to bounce the Full-Life cast. The second is best handled by having a separate tank team, preferably set up with Protect/Shell (respectively) and Haste, to switch in after the Dispel and then after the Total Annihilation.

Another option is to fill up everyone's Overdrives as well as all of your Aeon overdrives. Flux does only have 70000 HP and Energy Ray/Hellfire/Thor's Hammer/Diamond Dust/Megaflare will probably be good for 50000 or so depending on Yuna's Magic.

Finally, there's the grindy cheese methods. Backtrack to the Calm Lands and go hi the Monster Arena if you haven't. Capture every monster in the Calm Lands so you can get acknowledgement for capturing from other areas. From there, go capture everything in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth. Doing that unlocks Don Tonberry. Steal from him: his common steal is the Candle of Life which can be used to customize Zombieproof, which will help immensely with Lance of Atrophy.

Alternatively, you can go take a Chocobo over to Remiem Temple. Fighting Shiva there repeatedly will give you Star Curtains, which you can use to customize SOS Reflect or Auto-Reflect onto some armor.

Finally, the ultimate cheese method is, fair warning, the "I'm done with FFX and want the option to Vanish-Doom all the bosses". Do the Chocobo Race at Remiem Temple and open three chests without hitting a single one of the poles and win the race. Doing this will get you 30 Wings to Discovery. Use Rikku's Overdrive to Mix two of them together to unleash Trio of 9999, which confers a status upon your battle party causing all of their actions to do 9999 points of damage/healing. From there, it's a simple matter to use Overdrives, Use items like Fire Gems, or even regular attacks to take apart anything in the remaining story.

Absolutely none of this forgives throwing you into that fight with a whole bunch of possibilities for you to start losing and never stop with no warning or signposting, and with a five minute cutscene before it. I love FFX but the Flux fight is definitely one of its low points.

There's another favourite of mine, but it requires some preplanning. Level Yuna in Auron's sphere grid. This will give her a lot of attack. Yuna's stats translate over to her Aeon's. Guess what Yuna with Auron's strength does to Bahamut? 99999 Normal attacks. Congrats, nothing is a challenge anymore, Bahamut will handle the games other "HOLY gently caress! PISS OFF!" Boss. The Aeons are not at all balanced around the idea that Yuna has an attack stat.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Onmi posted:

There's another favourite of mine, but it requires some preplanning. Level Yuna in Auron's sphere grid. This will give her a lot of attack. Yuna's stats translate over to her Aeon's. Guess what Yuna with Auron's strength does to Bahamut? 99999 Normal attacks. Congrats, nothing is a challenge anymore, Bahamut will handle the games other "HOLY gently caress! PISS OFF!" Boss. The Aeons are not at all balanced around the idea that Yuna has an attack stat.

I boost Yuna's attack just so her dainty *thwack* can obliterate anything that looks at her funny.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Barudak posted:

And then the giant skeleton in the icy wasteland that guards the not-very-secret technotown.

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
I always hated the boss at the end of Cosmo canyon for some reason as a kid. Once I learned I could just throw an x-potion and kill him in one hit my mind was blown.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Barudak posted:

It'd probably also work on a few real presidents!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think there's been any FF story bosses after X that were real roadblocks to me like some of the ones in that game but maybe it's just that I'm not a kid anymore

I wish I could tell 8 year old me to throw a phoenix down on the Iifa tree boss instead of restarting the entire game

FF 13 definitely had some bosses that were way harder than average

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think the toughest bosses that are part of the main-game in the franchise are in FFV and FFX. Both of them have bosses that have some rude gimmicks and will absolutely wreck you if you're just playing through casually.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

FF 13 definitely had some bosses that were way harder than average

post-game bosses sure but i felt like every boss was pretty fair in the main game, i dont remember ever having to need more then two attempts to beat anyone

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The final chapters in 13 start ending with competency check or stat check bosses starting with first Bart.

Its fair but also the FF average before this was a lot more lax in being able to bang your head against bosses.

There's some parts of 7 that aren't really slouching either, Demon Wall and Carry Armor ended a lot of play throughs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

It'd probably also work on a few real presidents!

Careful, the secret service takes phoenix down threats very seriously.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Even on my last playthrough of XIII where I was definitely better at the battle system I was stuck on Bart 2 forever. I dunno why I have no memory of that fight being hard on my first run but on my second run when I spent forever grinding I was having so much trouble. I ended up having to teach Snow a new Role with all the CP I had stored up in order to win.

And then I just flat out could not beat Orphan, at least not without Poison. Poison makes that fight a joke though so I wanted to win without it but no luck.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mandatory lesbian posted:

post-game bosses sure but i felt like every boss was pretty fair in the main game, i dont remember ever having to need more then two attempts to beat anyone

I consider any boss that takes more than one go harder than average in an FF game :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I consider any boss that takes more than one go harder than average in an FF game :v:

ah yeah, okay, that's a good point

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

Even on my last playthrough of XIII where I was definitely better at the battle system I was stuck on Bart 2 forever. I dunno why I have no memory of that fight being hard on my first run

This was me as well. First time through 13 I spent a long time on Bart 1 but breezed through Bart 2, but on every other playthrough Bart 1 is a joke and Bart 2 is the hardest boss in the game easily.

Sakurazuka posted:

Basically this, yeah. The standout hard fights usually are pretty good, but most FF boss fights are a joke.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

zedprime posted:

There's some parts of 7 that aren't really slouching either, Demon Wall and Carry Armor ended a lot of play throughs.
I remembered them loving sucking, but I semi-recently replayed the game and even without grinding or anything had like, zero issues with either. I don't know why they were walls to me in the past.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Whalley posted:

I remembered them loving sucking, but I semi-recently replayed the game and even without grinding or anything had like, zero issues with either. I don't know why they were walls to me in the past.

I can only speak for myself, but as a kid I'd never use spells like haste or protect because it felt like a wasted turn, which def made fights harder back then. I can pinpoint the exact moment I broke out of that habit was playing golden sun 2 and dieing like a billion times to the final boss, and then using flash or some wall djinn power in desperation, which nulled like 90% of damage for a turn. Like it was a lightbulb that hey maybe attacking all the time isn't always the best strat

And then of course golden sun being golden sun I later realized that setting all djinn to summon beforehand and just summon spamming was way better but ya know, it was the thought that counts

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

I can only speak for myself, but as a kid I'd never use spells like haste or protect because it felt like a wasted turn, which def made fights harder back then. I can pinpoint the exact moment I broke out of that habit was playing golden sun 2 and dieing like a billion times to the final boss, and then using flash or some wall djinn power in desperation, which nulled like 90% of damage for a turn. Like it was a lightbulb that hey maybe attacking all the time isn't always the best strat
Actually yeah it's probably this. Before I replayed 7, I replayed X, and if you're not hucking hastes and cheers and status effects out the rear end in X I don't know what you're doing.

I had the same experience fighting the Midgar Zolom in my replay, which I know was like a "holy gently caress let's not and say we did" moment in the first time you play, but this time around it was kinda... nothing?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I can no longer remember the name off the top of my head but that two-headed dragon boss that appeared while climbing the Great Glacier in FF7 can piss right off.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm pretty sure FF7 instilled in me fear of the ocean with loving Emerald Weapon. I think I was more terrified of that lovely low poly model wandering around underwater than I was of actual horror games at the time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

I can no longer remember the name off the top of my head but that two-headed dragon boss that appeared while climbing the Great Glacier in FF7 can piss right off.

Schizo. Apt name and yes that fight is always one I dread when I play an FFVII mod.

Whalley posted:

Actually yeah it's probably this. Before I replayed 7, I replayed X, and if you're not hucking hastes and cheers and status effects out the rear end in X I don't know what you're doing.

I had the same experience fighting the Midgar Zolom in my replay, which I know was like a "holy gently caress let's not and say we did" moment in the first time you play, but this time around it was kinda... nothing?

I never appreciated the free buffs in FFX like Cheer or Focus when I first played it. Haste is obviously good but the buffs only really start to mater once you have stacked five of them and I had no time for that poo poo when I was a kid.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't really remember boss mechanics in the later half of FFX because I just over drive spammed with Aeons x10

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I remember a lot of people having trouble with Elder Wyrm in XII, to the point where people would often recommend going through an optional area just to avoid the fight. He had this bad-breath move to hit you with a million statuses.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015
Is there an active mod community for FF4 PC? I'm cool with it being the FF4 DS in principle, but I'd really like to get it running above 15 FPS or whatever it seemed to be set at when I tried it a few years ago.

Besson posted:

Didn’t they do this with secret of mana and didn’t it suck?

They did, and I liked it well enough. :shrug: I don't know how well it did saleswise, but I'd honestly be fine with more of Square's non-FF catalog being brought forward to modern platforms with a similarly modest amount of improvements. Today's kids need to know the joy of the platforming through Xenogears' Tower of Babel, or trying to make any sense at all of the SAGA games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pureauthor posted:

it was a tough boss as a kid but as an adult it's like "i have elemental + fire on my armor and the water ring what now bitch"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Classy Devil posted:

They did, and I liked it well enough. :shrug:

A lot of people didn't like what I kept seeing called dreamcast-era models but what i missed was little details like the grass suddenly being a flat texture instead of something to cut, or things like the final dungeon being split into several different load rooms which to be fair, helped for grinding and for the games general instability (at launch it would crash randomly after about an hour of play, at least on PS4) but was really, really lame.

I still plat'd the thing, though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also taking out the cannon travel animation despite having a working overworld map that you see when you use Flammie.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

Phantasium posted:

Also taking out the cannon travel animation despite having a working overworld map that you see when you use Flammie.

Yeah, I think everyone can agree removing that was just plain wrong. We definitely needed some weird fake Mode 7-looking effects.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I was wondering about the SoM remake. I actually thought the graphics kinda did the game justice myself and didn't get the complaining, though the $40 price tag seemed a bit much, but then again it's SE so they've always got a premium on everything. I never did play it though.

Wake me when they make the drat SD3 remake.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It had issues at launch but they're pretty much all fixed so it mainly depends on how you feel about the graphics and whether you can put up the frankly not much fun gameplay in 2019.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Wake me when they make the drat SD3 remake.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I got ffxii zodiac age on pc a couple of weeks ago and racked up 50 hours on it already. I can't believe I missed this gem. i feel that it's the best FF since vi. I played and liked xiii and xv but I am surprised by ffxii - the combat, story, characters, levelling, world, vo, systems are all more enjoyable.

I didn't catch it when it came out because ps3 and 360 stole the limelight. what a game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Im glad you like it. It's my favorite. Even at 50 hours you still have long ways to go if you wanna explore the world and beat all the optional bosses.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Zodiac Age is also very much a "definitive edition" of the game, which helps. Most people agree the job system makes it better, and they made a lot of other mechanical and aesthetic improvements to polish it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do wish they had kept an "original grid" option just for comparison/difficulties sake.