Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Give me Clayface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The CGI would suck.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When will we get Man-Bat?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Batman movies so far have been really loathe to have the more sci-fi oriented villains at all, closest we got was Batman & Robin of all things. Partly special effects, but also because Nolan wanted a less supernatural/sci-fi theming and other adaptations ape that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Victor Fries is a climate change scientist who invents a machine that can counteract global warming but after his funding is cut by a Republican government he decides he will use his machine anyway... to freeze the entire world! Over the course of several decades!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

ImpAtom posted:

...that means the Justice League is going to have multiple billionaires and the Avengers probably are 4/5ths people for who 'money troubles' is nonexistent.

The weirdest aspect of that for me in recent stories is that the former are bankrolling the latter. Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne or Oliver Queen are billionaires who employ their friends like it’s a tech startup. They’re venture capitalist angel investors for Justice.

Even Spider-Man, whose stories are the most self-aware about money, is a hired mercenary in these movies. Vulture is a small business owner forced underground by Tony Stark’s monopoly, and Spider-Man enforces Stark’s claim using Stark tech. Vulture shouldn’t have ignored Stark’s cease & desist, and Spider-Man is well-compensated for handling the problem.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tart Kitty posted:

I mean I love Batman Returns, but I'm not hyped to see the formula get repeated. I was kind of hoping for the Riddler, but you know, not as a screeching ball of white noise like he was in Batman Forever.

Yeah it's fine revisiting especially the Penguin since it's been a good long while, but going back to that specific combination when there's so many other villains that haven't been done, or other villains they can redo to mix up the combination in interesting ways.

Not that I think it'll be anything at all like Burton's weird gothic fantasy Batman movies, but yeah, do a new take on the Riddler, Mad Hatter, Clayface, Black Mask etc.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If you make the Wayne’s old money white but adopted a black or mixed race child it could set up interesting dynamics on culture and a generational difference in mindset

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I can see it now: what if Batman was Logic or Trevor Noah. Amazing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Or even just Thomas married a black woman.

Like that is possible. That is a thing

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Batrack Obamaman:The Audacity of Nope

E: No more pederasty overtones because Robiden is older than Alfred now.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 18, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xealot posted:

The weirdest aspect of that for me in recent stories is that the former are bankrolling the latter. Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne or Oliver Queen are billionaires who employ their friends like it’s a tech startup. They’re venture capitalist angel investors for Justice.

Even Spider-Man, whose stories are the most self-aware about money, is a hired mercenary in these movies. Vulture is a small business owner forced underground by Tony Stark’s monopoly, and Spider-Man enforces Stark’s claim using Stark tech. Vulture shouldn’t have ignored Stark’s cease & desist, and Spider-Man is well-compensated for handling the problem.

Even in the comics Spider-Man runs into that problem. Ignoring the recent arc where he literally had his own billion-dollar company, he's still got absurdly rich people on speed dial. When Aunt May got shot he was able to travel to Wakanda or ask Reed Richards for help or whatever because the vast majority of his friends are kings, absurdly wealthy or literal gods.

And comics in particular have a *huge* boner for the 'noble king forced to make hard decisions' mindset. Namor/Aquaman, Black Bolt, Black Panther, you even get it from the people who frame Dr. Doom as In The Right.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So apparently Paramount has made a deal with someone who bought the rights to the Atlas Comics characters in hopes of doing some kind of cinematic universe thing.

You may be asking yourselves who the gently caress Atlas Comics are. Well they were originally the name for what became Marvel Comics, but after that happened Martin Goodman, who had been in charge of Marvel during the big boom, set up his own Atlas Comics in retaliation for Marvel not sticking to a promise to keep his son Chip as EIC of Marvel. Between 1974-1975 they produced about 23 separate titles before collapsing due to Martin Goodman being apparently really loving bad at management and making a poo poo ton of bad decisions. (Which raises the question of how Marvel got along with him at the helm, but this is a part of comics history I don't know very well.)

So anyway the deal includes characters such as The Brute, the Tarantula, Ironjaw, Devilina, and Wulf the Barbarian.

I am actually now very intensely interested because Paramount's gonna enter the big superhero fight with characters so obscure they may as well have foregone the licensing fees and made up some new ones. I kind of love this.

(EDIT: they may actually be playing it a little safe, from some articles they're going to start with a $60 million movie from one of 21 or so outlines, so they're not going all-in. The mid budget is back, baby!)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I actually think that in Batman's case, whiteness is important. It's part of the broader picture of his vigilante psychosis.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I actually think that in Batman's case, whiteness is important. It's part of the broader picture of his vigilante psychosis.

I think it really depends on the version of Batman you're talking about. The one who has a good working relationship with the police and direct line to Commissioner Gordon? Yeah, probably.

If you're talking about the guy who explicitly set out to fight crime because the police are corrupt and untrustworthy and who gets shot at as often as the criminals? I think that's different. It's incredibly easy to picture a Batman in a crime-filled city who genuinely thinks the police are dangerous and untrustworthy even despite coming from a position of privilege because honestly as we see in this day and age even well-off PoC can't necessarily assume police are going to see their power before their skin color.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I think it really depends on the version of Batman you're talking about. The one who has a good working relationship with the police and direct line to Commissioner Gordon? Yeah, probably.

If you're talking about the guy who explicitly set out to fight crime because the police are corrupt and untrustworthy and who gets shot at as often as the criminals? I think that's different. It's incredibly easy to picture a Batman in a crime-filled city who genuinely thinks the police are dangerous and untrustworthy even despite coming from a position of privilege because honestly as we see in this day and age even well-off PoC can't necessarily assume police are going to see their power before their skin color.

Uh, no. This idea that the social problem is police failing to protect communities from "crime" (as an exogenous element), and not that police and criminalization harm communities by perpetuating systemic oppression, is an expression of white ideology.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 18, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Uh, no. This idea that the social problem is police failing to protect communities from "criminals", and not that police and criminalization harm communities by perpetuating systemic oppression, is an expression of white ideology.

Okay? That isn't what I said though.

That version of Batman is a reflection of the failure of trust in the police not just to 'protect people from criminals" but that they are an active dangerous force themselves and can't be trusted. That version of Batman tends to be focused on the idea that the system is fundimentally broken and untrustworthy. If it's about fighting criminals it considers politicians and policemen as (if not more) dangerous than 'average guy on the street.' It usually devolves into "good cop" syndrome because Gordon is a popular character but that's a larger issue.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Okay? That isn't what I said though.

That version of Batman is a reflection of the failure of trust in the police not just to 'protect people from criminals" but that they are an active dangerous force themselves and can't be trusted. That version of Batman tends to be focused on the idea that the system is fundimentally broken and untrustworthy. If it's about fighting criminals it considers politicians and policemen as (if not more) dangerous than 'average guy on the street.' It usually devolves into "good cop" syndrome because Gordon is a popular character but that's a larger issue.

There's still a splitting of "politicians" and "policemen" from "politics" and "police". That corrupt politicians or policemen are "a disgrace to the office/badge" or whatever. (Black) Batman as a reformer, and not a revolutionary, is just such a flaccid idea. Batman as an expression of white impotent rage is so much more interesting, as evidenced by BvS making people lose their loving minds.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 18, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maxwell Lord posted:

So apparently Paramount has made a deal with someone who bought the rights to the Atlas Comics characters in hopes of doing some kind of cinematic universe thing.

quote:

“Intellectual property of this kind is hard to come by in this day and age,” said Andrew Gumpert, COO at Paramount Pictures. “We are excited to be working with Steven Paul and SP Media Group to bring the iconic Atlas comic book library to the big screen.”

Ha ha ha ha what. No one gives a poo poo about the Atlas characters since they were all lovely rip-offs of more famous characters and none of them lasted more than four issues, they were a failed unpopular experiment way back in the mid 70s. I remember buying some issues of Iron Jaw and Wulf The Barbarian out of curiosity years ago when I was on a fantasy comics kick and they were just terrible.
They tried relaunching some of their titles in 2011 which once again failed to set the world on fire and they quickly disappeared again.

Edit: like, the characters from Valiant comics and Image comics were way more recent and way more successful and there's hardly any interest in making movies about those no matter how hard the licence holders try. If Todd McFarlane can't get his Spawn movie greenlit then why the gently caress would anyone bother with the 70's Atlas characters.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 18, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Batman movies so far have been really loathe to have the more sci-fi oriented villains at all, closest we got was Batman & Robin of all things. Partly special effects, but also because Nolan wanted a less supernatural/sci-fi theming and other adaptations ape that.
The thing is that Nolan's movies are still insane. Like the Scarecrow rides a firebreathing horse on screen, the Joker is basically the Devil, and the Lazarus Pits are able to get in there.

What people don't get about Nolan is that it was never about tactical realism. It was about stripping things down to their most basic level to get at what is at the essence of a character or concept, and then building from there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tart Kitty posted:

I mean I love Batman Returns, but I'm not hyped to see the formula get repeated. I was kind of hoping for the Riddler, but you know, not as a screeching ball of white noise like he was in Batman Forever.

I seriously doubt they'll repeat Batman Returns' "formula".

If they're going after a more detective oriented approach, It'll probably be Penguin as either a crime boss or maybe some kind of weird serial killer, which might be a neat approach. Cat woman will either be a vigilante herself who's also after Penguin or (yamn) a jewel thief who gets caught up in it all,

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
do you think tony stark left peter parker any money in his will

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 18, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ammanas posted:

do you think tony stark left peter parker any money in his will

Probably not considering Peter was dead

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Probably not considering Peter was dead

maybe he never edited it after the snap

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Don’t forget there’s also Supreme Power’s Nighthawk who is a Batman like rich black man who is racist against whites

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/jrome58/status/1129543560628494337?s=19

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ha ha ha ha what. No one gives a poo poo about the Atlas characters since they were all lovely rip-offs of more famous characters and none of them lasted more than four issues, they were a failed unpopular experiment way back in the mid 70s. I remember buying some issues of Iron Jaw and Wulf The Barbarian out of curiosity years ago when I was on a fantasy comics kick and they were just terrible.
They tried relaunching some of their titles in 2011 which once again failed to set the world on fire and they quickly disappeared again.

Edit: like, the characters from Valiant comics and Image comics were way more recent and way more successful and there's hardly any interest in making movies about those no matter how hard the licence holders try. If Todd McFarlane can't get his Spawn movie greenlit then why the gently caress would anyone bother with the 70's Atlas characters.

Aren't they filming Spawn and Bloodshot?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Make black Batman someone who shakes off his parents' murder in a back alley because duh, but he becomes rich through whatever means and the pressure from his rich white peers makes him become Batman.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Davros1 posted:

Bloodshot is scheduled for next February!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Grendels Dad posted:

Make black Batman someone who shakes off his parents' murder in a back alley because duh, but he becomes rich through whatever means and the pressure from his rich white peers makes him become Batman.

Black Batman's parents would be murdered in a black alley by cops, who then weren't even punished or brought to trial.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

Black Batman's parents would be murdered in a black alley by cops, who then weren't even punished or brought to trial.

I know that's a typo

But man what a typo

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Burkion posted:

I know that's a typo

But man what a typo

It was in the blackest of nights...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Maxwell Lord posted:

So anyway the deal includes characters such as The Brute, the Tarantula, Ironjaw, Devilina, and Wulf the Barbarian.

That's cool to see Two Worlds getting his own superhero movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Stan Lee wrote a black Batman. He was poor and then framed for a robbery which worked because he was black. His mother died while he was in prison, where he also met his Alfred/Lucius Fox and his pet bat. After saving the warden during a prison riot, he was released and then became rich by being a bat-themed wrestler. After which he kills the guy who framed him (who is a crime boss now).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Black Batman would just be a billionaire who hires local community workers to good paying jobs with tons of paid time off that contribute to the community and funds lots of rec centers , after school programs etc as well as paying his property taxes in full

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Every rich black American I know is involved in either sports or entertainment, so Black Batman should just be a baseball-themed superhero.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mastershakeman posted:

Black Batman would just be a billionaire who hires local community workers to good paying jobs with tons of paid time off that contribute to the community and funds lots of rec centers , after school programs etc as well as paying his property taxes in full

woof

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

mastershakeman posted:

This is what DCAU Bruce Wayne does.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Davros1 posted:

LOL I keep forgetting. :v:

The production budget on Spawn is reportedly $10 million which is pretty fuckin' embarrassing. It got picked up by Blumhouse a few years ago and was supposed to start filming in early 2019 but McFarlane did an interview last month where he was still doing pre-prod like working on Spawn's costume design. The interviewer asks him about a release date and Todd pretty much talked around the topic, the project sounds like it's still a long way off from actually starting. I think we can put this one in the "I'll believe it when I see it" basket.

Apparently they already finished principal photography on Bloodshot back in 2018 but it won't be released until 2020. It stars Vin Diesel with Guy Pearce I guess as the bad guy, details about it are still pretty scarce.