Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Can't believe you're calling out those hard-working people just trying to copy-paste their way into an audience base that will get them review copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd still take the user reviews because consumers have so little say in how developers treat them that review bombing, while bad, is one of the few ways that consumers can express their dissatisfaction with developer and publisher decisions that actively affect the consumers. Reddit AMAs are bullshit because a developer can cherry pick their questions and go for softballs instead of addressing major consumer concerns. It's on developers and publishers to cultivate the kind of consumer attitude they want and when so much is openly hostile to your base is it any wonder that they react poorly in the few venues they have to object and protest?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the way steam implements curators is pretty bad but like, the idea is sound, and the existence of dumb joke curators doesn't negate that

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ArfJason posted:

this picture is one of the worst things i've seen in my life.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. i have seen much worse and at least its well drawn and sloth is cool person so why should i give a poo poo.

That avatar is fine.

The old one though, eh...

...not so much...

quote:

Steam Curators
Sector Effectors is a good curator, as is Gold-Plated Games; both are run by goons (the former by Kinsie, the latter by Too Shy Guy).

Apart from that, you've got critics (Yahtzee, Jim Fuckin' Sterling, Tom Francis) and sites (RPS, PC Gamer), and just some other various curators (DoujinSoft Addicts, Just Good PC Games) who provide blurbs or review links for the games on Steam. There are some who just do gimmicky stuff, yeah, but then Twitter is flooded with copy-pastes, automated gimmick accounts.

Actually, now that I think about it, those Twitter ones are way better, since you've got stuff like FeshPrinceBot!
https://twitter.com/FeshPinceBot/status/1129550862097846272

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly she seems like a cool person but that fursona is a mildly visually unappealing design when it's well-drawn, and on the ninth circle of loving fursona hell when it's not

like i don't even know why but something about it is just off-putting to me and i don't even usually care about furry poo poo

(i'm willing to consider that having just read through The Unfunnies might have given me a conditioned fear response to furry art.)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can't believe anybody cares that somebody has a fursona, ugly or otherwise, in 2019

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Steam bad, epic worse, activision blizzard is also owned by tencent, so what

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

watho posted:

Steam bad, epic worse, activision blizzard is also owned by tencent, so what

Activision Blizzard just want to run service games as a nice steady earner, and haven't done (the same) scummy poo poo Epic has pulled with their game store. EGS is probably gonna turn into an object lesson of "how not to run a digital storefront" by the time it fails. Especially when their driving goal is apparently "we want a monopoly on the PC gaming space" rather than "we want to compete with Steam".

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Activision Blizzard just want to run service games as a nice steady earner, and haven't done (the same) scummy poo poo Epic has pulled with their game store. EGS is probably gonna turn into an object lesson of "how not to run a digital storefront" by the time it fails. Especially when their driving goal is apparently "we want a monopoly on the PC gaming space" rather than "we want to compete with Steam".

Discord provided such an easy model for how to eat Steam's lunch that I'm shocked Epic is going with the "spend them out of bussiness" plan. Just design a decent storefront and people will flock to you!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That they still don't have a functional basket is so :psyduck:.

Roth posted:

I can't believe anybody cares that somebody has a fursona, ugly or otherwise, in 2019

Honestly lol if you don't have a fursona in 2019 tbh.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Flying Zamboni posted:

I wish Sterling would get rid of his gimmick. I've only seen a couple of his videos but I like the points he makes and the fact that he's criticizing the games industry in a way that is sadly pretty uncommon but I absolutly can't stand his presentation. I just don't think it's funny and it detracts from what he's trying to do.
Then just watch YongYea.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i've always been confused why successful game companies sell to tencent. is it because every company thinks they have to do crazy growth to be relevant?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

i've always been confused why successful game companies sell to tencent. is it because every company thinks they have to do crazy growth to be relevant?

I think it's because Tencent writes a check big enough to crack the table. (Or at least it seems that way to the game companies.)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Every company has to do exponential growth every year ecause capitalism

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ArfJason posted:

Every company has to do exponential growth every year ecause capitalism

yeah it's the same bullshit that made the pomplamoose idiot take tens of millions of dollars of vc money from jared kushner's little brother despite patreon being profitable from the get-go and easily scaling.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

Then just watch YongYea.

Yong is chud-adjacent. Not openly chuddy, but he clearly picks his topics with them in mind.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah I'd like to see a source on that one. Saying he cherry picks topics to appease Chuds is quite the claim.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

IIRC when he covers controversies like the GW2 writers being fired it tends to be biased in favor of the perspectives of anti-feminists

E:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Dabir posted:

Yong is chud-adjacent. Not openly chuddy, but he clearly picks his topics with them in mind.
Huh. Thanks for the heads up. I mostly listen to youtube videos while doing something else so I probably missed something. I just noticed from my notifications that Jim and YongYea usually cover the same subjects.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

These are still the last two tweets on her account:

LOL, she deleted these tweets.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean actiblizz is bad for other reasons, mostly that they don't make good games anymore and blizzard, despite running several multiplayer games for like 15+ years, has zero idea how to balance anything, is enough reason to hate them.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=693wKQEWrIY

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 19, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grapplejack posted:

I mean actiblizz is bad for other reasons, mostly that they don't make good games anymore and blizzard, despite running several multiplayer games for like 15+ years, has zero idea how to balance anything, is enough reason to hate them.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=693wKQEWrIY

speaking of actavision.

https://kotaku.com/sources-call-of-duty-2020-in-upheaval-as-treyarch-take-1834858368

sledgehammer is dead basically. WW2 didnt do great and the studio heads moved to 2k and took a ton of talent with them. so they are making tryarch rush a game by 2020 instead of pulling a Ubisoft and having roatating IP releases and taking their time with the games. apparently activision despite owning a gently caress ton of IPs is super reliant on COD now. i mean i will probably pick up MW4 and 2 remaster though i wish it was IW 2. the sledagehammer game was supposed to be cold war/vietnam which was gonna be their shot at a spec ops the line type deal before doing AW. but thats probably dead.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I found a video detailing ProJareds scandal and The Completionist popped in with an odd wrinkle to an older scandal. Normalboots didn't actually fire Jontron

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

I found a video detailing ProJareds scandal and The Completionist popped in with an odd wrinkle to an older scandal. Normalboots didn't actually fire Jontron

i kinda assumed as much, either way, at least he is gone.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Yeah, that tracks, because Jon is slow as poo poo to get anything done. I was subscribed to him on Youtube for months after that bullshit happened because I thought I had unsubbed and he hadn't appeared in the list of recent uploads from subscribed channels page in that whole time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apparently activision despite owning a gently caress ton of IPs is super reliant on COD now.
If a CoD doesn't come out that's a huge drop in their projected revenues which affects the shareholders and may eat into the executive bonuses and is therefore the end of the world.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

If a CoD doesn't come out that's a huge drop in their projected revenues which affects the shareholders and may eat into the executive bonuses and is therefore the end of the world.

well thats what i find funny, the game is still making gently caress tons of money. i skipped last years because no campaign and i like that fun stupid poo poo. the multiplayer just doesnt do it for me, prefer battlefield type stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTgmCf82s3U
Nick Hodges looks at The Terror.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

I know he forgave him, but is he still cool with Jon?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

No.1 Special posted:

I never see anyone that used to associate with Jon even mention him anymore.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

No.1 Special posted:

doesn't really sound like it. it sounds more like they went their separate ways and don't talk to him anymore. i had a falling out with friend of mine just like that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

dmboogie posted:

the way steam implements curators is pretty bad but like, the idea is sound, and the existence of dumb joke curators doesn't negate that

Also as that screenshot clearly shows, you can ignore curators you don't like.

That said, I'm more in defense of reviews because unless you're actively looking for trash, more often than not you'll find people leaving actual useful opinions. 99.9% of the time I check reviews I see a bunch of reasonable takes ranging from "I really like this and here's why" to "I wanted to like this, but here's why not" to "sorry, this isn't good". No memes or one sentence "big tiddy gave me boner/10" garbage at all.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

speaking of actavision.

https://kotaku.com/sources-call-of-duty-2020-in-upheaval-as-treyarch-take-1834858368

sledgehammer is dead basically. WW2 didnt do great and the studio heads moved to 2k and took a ton of talent with them. so they are making tryarch rush a game by 2020 instead of pulling a Ubisoft and having roatating IP releases and taking their time with the games. apparently activision despite owning a gently caress ton of IPs is super reliant on COD now. i mean i will probably pick up MW4 and 2 remaster though i wish it was IW 2. the sledagehammer game was supposed to be cold war/vietnam which was gonna be their shot at a spec ops the line type deal before doing AW. but thats probably dead.
A call of duty every year for the past 15 years :psyduck:

I am almost impressed at how they’ve managed to milk the franchise without everything going off the rails.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

A call of duty every year for the past 15 years :psyduck:

I am almost impressed at how they’ve managed to milk the franchise without everything going off the rails.

I'm impressed they were able to release a single game every year for 15 years and not have the consumer fatigue to continue being profitable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Leal posted:

I'm impressed they were able to release a single game every year for 15 years and not have the consumer fatigue to continue being profitable.

Things like Modern Warfare helped revitalise the series a bit. They couldn't have kept doing WW2 shooters the entire time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea they were smart enough to mix enough stuff like MW and BLOPS in to keep things diverse.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1130386333841543168

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

Just collaborate!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
she could just use her dany video but repeated till 10 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dovi posted:

Just collaborate!

No, no, this way they're splitting up the mad very online people they'll each have to deal with.