Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It wiped out the Realm of Magic unicorns, Glossaryk, and the MHC. All other creatures, no matter how apparently magical, seemed to be just fine in the ending. I imagine even Father Time is still out there since Glossaryk didn't create him.

Also presumably all the spells in the wand. We had multiple episodes focused on their vibrant and colorful lives, and now they all ded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Skippy McPants posted:

Also presumably all the spells in the wand. We had multiple episodes focused on their vibrant and colorful lives, and now they all ded.

Was about to type that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And don't forget about Reynaldo, whose only crime was being kind of a twerp. He didn't even choose to speak in riddles, one of the queens put a curse on him.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I gotta echo the sentiments that it felt rushed. An extra 15 minutes would have been enough to flesh things out more.

On Mina: the show builds up Mina as a credible threat for Star and Marco to fight, but then she gets effortlessly stomped by a unicorn, and Tom and the unicorns act as the final fight, so to speak. It's a lame turn of events. I get that the real villain was racism and not Mina, but still.

On magical beings: there should have been a scene where Omni and Rhombulus realize what Star is doing, but i assume that having characters panic about their impending death would have been too dark. RIP in piece hekapoo, star's spells and reynaldo, who died as he lived: unloved by his dad.

On the final scene: it was kind of a cheat to have the two worlds blend together, but there was no way that the writers would split up StarCo after 4 seasons of building that relationship up. It's cliche but it did pull at my heartstrings. Still, for a show that repeated over and over again about how magic and mewni's queens ruined everything, it was fitting that Star screwed up Earth and Mewni one last time.

It wasn't a terrible ending, just rushed and merely okay. It didn't poo poo the bed, but it was the equivalent of spooning your partner in bed: warm and nice, but they also fart audibly while sleeping.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

would've been better as a 4-parter, which would've also worked as a 5th season opener

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 19, 2019

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also of note: Earth and Mewni aren't the only worlds that got cleaved together. The first thing Marco sees after the portal explosion is a flock of Dragoncycles, which are native to the biker dimension (I think). So presumably all the dimensions have been cleaved together too. Magic wasn't connecting people, it was keeping people apart.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 19, 2019

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot about those guys. >_>’...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Not to be a dick but I think the long arc was a mistake. I don't think this show was structured for it, ultimately.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

Eh, I think they're all alive, just in another dimension, or maybe in another part of the new Dimensional Hybrid Earth. It's a Disney cartoon, only bad guys and maybe one dramatic good guy death ever really die, and we hit that quota with Quirky Guy.

Pick posted:

Not to be a dick but I think the long arc was a mistake. I don't think this show was structured for it, ultimately.

I liked the ending but I agree. A lot of shows these days aren't structured for serialization but they keep going for it and I don't know why. Just do a half-hour long show all the time, stop trying to do 11 minute episodes jamming in plot.

See also: Adventure Time, Steven Universe

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 19, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TwoPair posted:

Eh, I think they're all alive, just in another dimension, or maybe in another part of the new Dimensional Hybrid Earth. It's a Disney cartoon, only bad guys and maybe one dramatic good guy death ever really die, and we hit that quota with Quirky Guy.

I liked the ending but I agree. A lot of shows these days aren't structured for serialization but they keep going for it and I don't know why. Just do a half-hour long show all the time, stop trying to do 11 minute episodes jamming in plot.

See also: Adventure Time, Steven Universe

Hey, gotta ape that Japanese Anime style of story telling where a lot of stuff is very much serial continuity based. GF pulled it off very well granted the episodes were half hour and a big part of the show was the settings weirdness so even if the episodes weren't always about the author's identity they still worked to emphasize the towns weirdness.

I've not watched Adventure Time of SU so I can't comment there, but if you're gonna do a serial then it HAS to be half hour episodes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
GF also did keep itself fairly restricted; the influential cast members are surprisingly few. The "mystery" plot is also not very complicated--which is good. That allows them to milk it for a while for details, but ultimately it makes sense and can be reduced to one or two sentences that provide the gist of it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
My only question after all this is what was the deal with Mina's bird? It felt like the show was leading to something with it, but didn't do anything.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Here's my take on the series:

Ultimately, while there were missteps, I think that Star was a somewhat bold and ambitious show and I commend it for that. There were a lot of themes they wanted to touch on: the journey of growing from a selfish teenager into an unselfish adult, the cruelties of attraction and love, the effects of systemic racism, the truth of past crimes affecting present injustices, and a whole host of other issues. They could have easily played it safe and gotten at least three seasons of Star and Marco fighting Ludo every week, but they wanted to have their characters and the world around them grow and evolve, and, to me, that made the show far more interesting and compelling.

The show had great characters, good jokes, good animation, an interesting overarching plot, and one of the very few romantic arcs in a show I could actually stand. I enjoyed it, and I'll miss it.

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh, I totally get why it's dangerous but it was never set up as the root of this conflict and destroying it wiped out who knows how many intelligent beings. So it feels not only arbitrary but also really loving dark in a way the show simply didn't engage with.

Magic was the root of the conflict in that it was magic that allowed the Mewmans to enjoy their unjust power structure over the monsters. Star tried to work within that system to reform it, but ultimately found that the only way to get rid of the injustices of the system was to destroy it entirely.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 19, 2019

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ultimately, while there were missteps, I think that Star was a somewhat bold and ambitious show and I commend it for that. There were a lot of themes they wanted to touch on: the journey of growing from a selfish teenager into an unselfish adult, the cruelties of attraction and love, the effects of systemic racism, the truth of past crimes affecting present injustices, and a whole host of other issues. They could have easily played it safe and gotten at least three seasons of Star and Marco fighting Ludo every week, but they wanted to have their characters and the world around them grow and evolve, and, to me, that made the show far more interesting and compelling.

The show had great characters, good jokes, good animation, an interesting overarching plot, and one of the very few romantic arcs in a show I could actually stand. I enjoyed it, and I'll miss it.

Magic was the root of the conflict in that it was magic that allowed the Mewmans to enjoy their unjust power structure over the monsters. Star tried to work within that system to reform it, but ultimately found that the only way to get rid of the injustices of the system was to destroy it entirely.

I agree with this. I think that overall it was a good series.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

doomrider7 posted:

Hey, gotta ape that Japanese Anime style of story telling where a lot of stuff is very much serial continuity based. GF pulled it off very well granted the episodes were half hour and a big part of the show was the settings weirdness so even if the episodes weren't always about the author's identity they still worked to emphasize the towns weirdness.

I've not watched Adventure Time of SU so I can't comment there, but if you're gonna do a serial then it HAS to be half hour episodes.

I think another thing that GF did right was establishing a long plot/reason for serialization off the bat. A lot of other shows introduce that later to their detriment (imo). It's hard to go from just comedy hijinks to introducing drama and serious character growth while still keeping the show feeling the same and keeping episodes 11 minutes long. GF sidesteps all those problems by mixing in the serious/weird right off the bat, establishing "here's the mystery, it'll be a background element in some episodes and the main story in others, let's go" whereas Star spends 10 or so episodes as straight comedy before we get a hint that "hey maybe everything's not as black and white as it seems with the monsters on Mewni" (SU spends half a season before poo poo gets real and AT spends 2 full ones just for comparison)

Starting out as goofy one-off adventures and then getting serious later isn't a bad idea, narratively speaking, I mean I'm sure all the creators had all these plot elements (or at least most of this stuff) in mind from early on and nothing was an asspull, but the show has to be made for that... which usually just means it needs to be longer.

...I think I just talked myself in a circle getting back to "yeah longer episodes!"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Star def went through a major crew shift over the course of season 1 and between 1 and 2. There's a lot more similarities between Season 4's crew and season 2's than there is between season 2 and season 1

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

The problem we keep running into is that we have a generation of creators who grew up watching anime that DESPERATELY want to tell those kinds of stories conflicting with networks and exects and censors who WILL have their 11 minute highschool comedy wheather you like it or not.

So we keep hitting this pattern where you get a first season that is what an American cartoon is "supposed" to be. The show gets popular enough that the showrunner gets more freedom. The show does a hard pivot into more serious and connected storylines but momentum is lost in the process of pivoting and decisions made back when the show was pretending to be the next SpongeBob start getting in the way of the next Utena.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/BrianWithAnH/status/1130178938301440000

Brian (The show's composer if it isn't obvious) is also doing an AMA on Reddit tomorrow if you're into that kind of thing.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Spot on.

Star vs. would have been unremarkable at best if it didn't have the story. Who looks at season 1 and thinks "this is the best season"?

The same could be said for Gravity Falls or Steven Universe.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Star def went through a major crew shift over the course of season 1 and between 1 and 2. There's a lot more similarities between Season 4's crew and season 2's than there is between season 2 and season 1

Probably explains the title. Seasons 2-4 had a noticeable lack of fighting the forces of evil.

Now that I've had time to think about it, I really wish we'd gotten more of an epilogue. We got more closure for Talon than Star or Marco or any other major character. I stuck with these characters for this long, I need to know what happens to them, dammit

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

What closure is missing for Star and Macro? Like, the world is a mess but I think we know exactly what happens to them. We know because we've spent four seasons watching what their lives are like when they're together. Probably the only difference now is that they sometimes make out in between going on crazy adventures.

If the writers had pulled the trigger on splitting them apart, I'd agree there would need to be more denouement but as things stand their immediate future feels like the most certain and settled thing in the show.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
And the mess is kind of perfect for them. They're going to have so many further adventures in this strange new world that also happens to be home.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skippy McPants posted:

What closure is missing for Star and Macro? Like, the world is a mess but I think we know exactly what happens to them. We know because we've spent four seasons watching what their lives are like when they're together. Probably the only difference now is that they sometimes make out in between going on crazy adventures.

Just because we have a general idea of what will happen doesn't mean there's no value in seeing it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sure, but another story; this one is over, and I don't think it lacked for closure regarding the lead characters. I do get wanting to see more of them, though.

A sequel series seems unlikely, but I could see them doing a comic book or something that gives fans a chance to check-in on where everyone is a little way down the road.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tetracube posted:

Spot on.

Star vs. would have been unremarkable at best if it didn't have the story. Who looks at season 1 and thinks "this is the best season"?

I think "unremarkable at best" is a little unfair. Season 1 wasn't a deep show by any means, but it was definitely a funny show, which is what it was aiming for. If it had never even gotten a season 2 I could've still looked back on the show as a whole and still found it pretty darn funny. One of my favorite episodes of probably the entire series is the Banagic Incident if only because Star repeatedly going "is this a better store?" to people was a great laugh line. Comparing S1 to later seasons (3 and 4 more than 2) is kind of like comparing apples and oranges because of the big tonal shifts that happen.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 20, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
You know what, the more I think about the finale, the more I like it. Yeah, it didn't hit every beat that I wanted it to, and left open a lot of questions. But at the end of the day, it had some spectacular emotional beats between Star and Marco, broke the bonds of power of the mewmans over the monsters by irrevocably destroying the monarchy, and ended on a really sweet note. For me, it worked.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I really appreciated the ghostly queens joining in to help destroy the magic. The Magic Book of Spells shows how magic really screwed up some of their lives (Skywynne accidentally deleting gravity, Rhina murdering her husband with a spell meant to break his heart). It also gave us that sweet moment with Solaria, Eclipsa, and Meteroa :kimchi:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skippy McPants posted:

Sure, but another story; this one is over, and I don't think it lacked for closure regarding the lead characters. I do get wanting to see more of them, though.

A sequel series seems unlikely, but I could see them doing a comic book or something that gives fans a chance to check-in on where everyone is a little way down the road.

that's basically what I meant, yeah

while I took issue with that, everything else about the finale was a+++. Star and Marco got some excellent moments, as did Eclipsa

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Whitenoise Poster posted:

The problem we keep running into is that we have a generation of creators who grew up watching anime that DESPERATELY want to tell those kinds of stories conflicting with networks and exects and censors who WILL have their 11 minute highschool comedy wheather you like it or not.

So we keep hitting this pattern where you get a first season that is what an American cartoon is "supposed" to be. The show gets popular enough that the showrunner gets more freedom. The show does a hard pivot into more serious and connected storylines but momentum is lost in the process of pivoting and decisions made back when the show was pretending to be the next SpongeBob start getting in the way of the next Utena.

All this is accurate.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Overall the show never really seemed like it had a long-term strategy for where it was going, although it was especially fragmented and confused headed towards the finale. It gave the show a weird unpredictable edge that wasn't exactly bad, but also meant that you're gonna have loose ends, bad foreshadowing, and underwhelming arcs.

I guess philosophically this is sort of the anarchist choice? Power has been abused, so it must be destroyed so nobody can use it? It kinda feels like a solution out of proportion to the problem? Kind of a lot of dead and murdered sentient beings? Maybe the final scene would've been better if they did a little montage of all the people of other dimensions having fun with the new world they're in? Because otherwise this is a whole apocalyptic thing that seems very bad for most people. Also it sucks to not get a real rundown of happy endings for characters. They could even slot the spells in there as having survived the breakdown of dimensions because what counts as "magic" or not is total bullshit anyways.

Also what the gently caress was up with the purple junk. Like I know it was Eclipsa's stuff, but why and what and why.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
I didn't like the ending, but that might be my fault. The messaging about power structures was good. This was a good series overall.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I wasn't expecting a big showdown once they got the ball rolling, so I wasn't disappointed. At the end of the day, for all of Marco's experience in the other realm, he still gets his rear end handed to him by Kaiju Meteora and even that weird belly mouth guy in his adult form, and on top of that he was a complete novice with magic. No way in hell he would stand an actual chance against even an unarmored Mina, since with all their power, Star and Eclipsa still barely held their own against one Solarian Gundam. Though it was awesome to see even Solaria turn her back to Mina. For all her problems, she still had something to care for, while Mina was flat out loving genocidal against anyone who she saw as betraying the original Nazi ideal, to the point she'd destroy the throne for nothing.

Although it sucks to all hell the Magical High Commission went kaput. Rhombulus was an rear end in a top hat so gently caress him, kinda neutral abut Omnitraxus Prime, but Glossaryck and Hekapoo were the cool ones. Even after Hekapoo was staunchly opposed to Eclipsa and was revealed to have been in on the whole Fesitivia nonsense, she started to realize how lovely she had been before, and she had lots of cool moments before her redemption. As opposed to Rhombulus, whose goofy moments start to look like your awkward racist uncle whose jokes start to sour after awhile and he doesn't stop even when it's clear everyone is being made uncomfortable. Those doofy moments in Season 2 way before it was revealed just how bad he is just helps contribute to his banal form of evil and in retrospect makes him looks a whole lot worse all around. I wonder if Tom and Globgor lost their monster powers too, but Ponyhead was still flying around so I guess so? Or maybe they just had her flying around since it'd be awkward for her to be hopping around constantly.

My only real complaint is how the earth characters minus Janna thought the portal at the end was just some natural phenomenon after everything they'd been through. Especially Jackie who for a time seemed like she was being written in as one of the main crew starting around the midpoint of Season 2 and was just as privy to some of the nonsense that she'd happen to get herself involved with along with Alfonzo and Ferguson, and even those two didn't seem to recognize it was supernatural either.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 20, 2019

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Tetracube posted:

Probably explains the title. Seasons 2-4 had a noticeable lack of fighting the forces of evil.

I always thought the whole joke was that the show sets up Ludo and the monsters as the forces of evil, but the actual forces of evil are hatred, bigotry, colonialism, imperial conquest, etc. etc. I feel like this, if anything, was always the plan from the start. Maybe they didn't tell the network though-- Whitenoise Poster's summary is spot on.

I guess one can't expect them to fully work out the implications of going KOTOR II on magic in the last 20 minutes of the series. The high points were great, even the low/filler points were usually at least amusing. Overall a good watch even if it was messy/directionless/wasted potential here and there.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
No body is asking the important questions.

What happened to Doopdoop?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

No body is asking the important questions.

What happened to Doopdoop?

wubba lubba doop doop

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I turned myself into a broom Star. I'm broooooooooom dooooooooooooopdoop!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In case anybody wants to relive the good ol' days, has a lot of time to burn, doesn't watch kids' TV on the reg and thus doesn't know Disney scheduling, or any combination of the above, you may be interested to know that Disney XD is currently doing a 24-hour marathon of Star until tomorrow at noon. They're almost done with season 1 right now and I had forgotten how funny this show could be. Not that seasons 3 and 4 were bad, but I definitely feel like Star on Earth jokes in S1/2 are better than the Marco on Mewni stuff in S3/4.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

wubba lubba doop doop

Tetracube posted:

I turned myself into a broom Star. I'm broooooooooom dooooooooooooopdoop!

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 26, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm kind of bummed about Star ending because it wraps up a nice little stretch of my life that started with Adventure Time and Regular Show. My wife and I would find these random shows to get hooked on, and Star was the one I picked up on after she ran headlong into loving Gravity Falls.

It was a nice run of stuff that was fun and called back to stuff we loved -- I enjoyed how Star was a riff on Sailor Moon style magical girl shows and she loved that it just went into crazytown with Toffee's first appearance by dropping hints of lore and a bigger story. And i really came to love how they didn't settle on Toffee being the big 4 season bad that usurps Ludo. They really kept it moving and i'm shocked they committed to the idea that new generations wiping away systems that are obviously broken but tolerated so well. We had a blast with the Earth characters wrapup episode and both laughed at the inclusion of the Mean Girl popular kid antagonist from S1 that was literally a background character at the ending.

Aside from Ducktales, I can't really justify keeping my SlingTV sub now that Star and Steven Universe are done. Maybe I should venture out and check out Loud House or something. But man, it's over. :sadwave:

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
I was fine with the way it ended, but I will always wonder how late into production of Season 4 they knew they weren't doing another, cos it seems like there were a few leftover plot threads that could have been picked up in the wake of an unexpected renewal. Stuff like Mina still being around, whatever the weird purple goo was doing to Marco, and course the whole concept of the different dimensions being merged is full of story possibilities. But yeah, I'm perfectly okay with leaving it there.

At least it wasn't a Quantum Leap "Oh poo poo they've cancelled us at the last minute and we haven't filmed an ending" scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

Aside from Ducktales, I can't really justify keeping my SlingTV sub now that Star and Steven Universe are done. Maybe I should venture out and check out Loud House or something. But man, it's over. :sadwave:

Steven Universe isn't over yet