Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao i just wanted that there for comparisoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
that is parody right

Corbolan
May 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1130543549311623168

if you kill dragon hitler, please do it in a non problematic way thx

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
is.....is that a trope

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

is.....is that a trope

It's a narrative device that happens every so often (GOT, X-Men) so acting like it's some long lasting and sexist trope is pretty loving dumb.

Like I can actually think of multiple times where the genders are reversed. It's just a way to do "Oh no this person I care for has gone mad/become too powerful/etc. and I must kill them for the good of all" in a dramatic way.

In her other tweets to conflate it with stats on violence against women is...kinda weird because it's not like it's being shown as a glorious moment or something.

There are PLEEEEENNNNTY of poo poo GOT has done in terms of garbage portrayels of women but that's a really strange hill to pick because Dany at that moment had literally said "AND NEXT I WILL BURN THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD MUHAHAHAHAHA" after basically dragon nuking thousands of innocent women and children.

OldTennisCourt has issued a correction as of 19:57 on May 20, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

OldTennisCourt posted:

There are PLEEEEENNNNTY of poo poo GOT has done in terms of garbage portrayels of women but that's a really strange hill to pick because Dany at that moment had literally said "AND NEXT I WILL BURN THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD MUHAHAHAHAHA" after basically dragon nuking thousands of innocent women and children.

... because the writers choose to have her do that. She's not a real person, so the responsibility of how the story turns out is on the creators.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

YaketySass posted:

... because the writers choose to have her do that. She's not a real person, so the responsibility of how the story turns out is on the creators.

I mean, can't the same be said for literally every work with a female villain?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

But would you kill baby dragon Hitler

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

OldTennisCourt posted:

I mean, can't the same be said for literally every work with a female villain?

... it can be said for any piece of fiction writing. Authors are the ones who make their characters do things.

GOT has a continuous pattern of lazy misogyny in its writing that has mostly gotten worse, which is worth cataloguing because the pattern is more important than individual instances.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

:agreed:

Game of Thrones shall pass like dust in the wind, but Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls shall always stand out as the movie where a plastic rhino gave birth to a naked Jim Carrey.

It's like the elephant gangbang scene in The Brothers Grimsby.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tulip posted:

... it can be said for any piece of fiction writing. Authors are the ones who make their characters do things.

GOT has a continuous pattern of lazy misogyny in its writing that has mostly gotten worse, which is worth cataloguing because the pattern is more important than individual instances.

though ironically in this instance it’s the twitter person who is just being lazy here. She really isn’t thinking her position through

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

CharlestheHammer posted:

though ironically in this instance it’s the twitter person who is just being lazy here.

They are on Twitter. The laziness is implicit.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

YaketySass posted:

Harold bloom breaking the mold again

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Corbolan posted:

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1130543549311623168

if you kill dragon hitler, please do it in a non problematic way thx

the violence against men in game pf thrones is cool though

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CharlestheHammer posted:

is.....is that a trope

It happens both ways, because it's a way for the viewer to be in suspension as to who just got killed for a little longer.

Also like two dudes fighting with a gun or whatever.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

is.....is that a trope

yeah, it's a pretty classic hack move. a weirdly gendered one, too; usually when it's a woman doing it it's a way to sell "my god, what a treacherous bitch, to shank batman while they were making out" and when it's a guy doing it it's usually a "dammit, why'd you have to make me kill you."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’ve literally never seen this trope before

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
"Bob and Alice meet in secret for a night of passion. Bob draws Alice close, kisses her deeply and... BLAM!

Alice slumps down dead with Bob holding up a previously hidden pistol. She's just been on the receiving end of a Deadly Hug. A sudden gunshot is the most common, but a stab is not unheard of.

When a bad guy does this, it's usually during The Reveal that they're evil. When a good guy does it, it tends to be a Mercy Kill."

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeadlyHug

Other examples in Game of Thrones:

"In season 6 of GameofThrones, Ramsay Bolton stabs his father Roose Bolton to death as he hugs him for the first time. This is a backshadowing to when Roose Bolton stabbed Robb Stark to death at the Red Wedding."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’ve literally never seen this trope before

the third batman movie had the woman-shanks-man version, the third x-men movie had the man-shanks-woman version

hilariously also a case of "welp she turned into a fire-breathing monster, nothing can be done to but to stab her real good while crying about it"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Was of mice and men the first instance of this? It's not quite the same but close enough

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the third batman movie had the woman-shanks-man version, the third x-men movie had the man-shanks-woman version

hilariously also a case of "welp she turned into a fire-breathing monster, nothing can be done to but to stab her real good while crying about it"

lol I forgot GOTs already did it once.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jose posted:

Was of mice and men the first instance of this? It's not quite the same but close enough

Ugh George was such a treacherous bitch, to shank Lennie while they were making out

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
"Game of Thrones is misogynistic" is like the opposite of a hot take, and that's a pretty reasonable cinematographic criticism.

If you're going to write a situation where the reason a woman goes crazy and murders a million people is explicitly because she was rejected, then of course the way it's shot when he kills her is going to be weirdly sexual. You'd have to go out of your way to avoid it, and instead they just leaned in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

"Game of Thrones is misogynistic" is like the opposite of a hot take, and that's a pretty reasonable cinematographic criticism.

If you're going to write a situation where the reason a woman goes crazy and murders a million people is explicitly because she was rejected, then of course the way it's shot when he kills her is going to be weirdly sexual. You'd have to go out of your way to avoid it, and instead they just leaned in.

she didn’t go crazy because he rejected her, up until the moment he killed her he was very very openly on her side.

Her going crazy doesn’t really involve him at all.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Ugh George was such a treacherous bitch, to shank Lennie while they were making out

please do not leak the advance reviews of my 2010 blockbuster Mice And Men: But Explicitly Gay

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CharlestheHammer posted:

she didn’t go crazy because he rejected her, up until the moment he killed her he was very very openly on her side.

Her going crazy doesn’t really involve him at all.

She went in for the kiss and he backed off because I guess he feels weird about her being his aunt? Whatever dude, can't unring that bell.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The bizarre thing about GoT and women isn't that every even remotely feminist take is that the show did Dany dirty by turning her from "morally ambiguous" to "cackling megalomaniac" just for the good guys to finally kill her, it's that it took all that crowd this long to get that that was always the sensibility of the show.

I don't blame people for disagreeing that Dany was always a villain but they sure as gently caress should have seen that D&D were always that bad, they just decided to ignore the signs and mentally edit it into the Yass Queen show.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YaketySass posted:

The bizarre thing about GoT and women isn't that every even remotely feminist take is that the show did Dany dirty by turning her from "morally ambiguous" to "cackling megalomaniac" just for the good guys to finally kill her, it's that it took all that crowd this long to get that that was always the sensibility of the show.

I don't blame people for disagreeing that Dany was always a villain but they sure as gently caress should have seen that D&D were always that bad, they just decided to ignore the signs and mentally edit it into the Yass Queen show.

Dany was never the good guy but she basically hit the box a lot of people like in the same way they end up supporting US imperialism. Liberating some foreigners who just don’t understand what freedom is until you give it to them.

Now that the brutality is laid bare they just can’t handle that their fantasy is a bit hosed up.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

YaketySass posted:

it's particularly weird because they had the setup for it to happen laid in really well! they just decided that instead of there being some kind of instigating action, or it being a heat of the moment decision that she ends up clinging to out of tyrannical pride, you can almost hear the showrunners stepping in as the bells start ringing to say "look the script says she goes Full War Crimes now, for no personal gain. we never bothered to figure out why. maybe she's insane, i don't loving know, we are tired of making this show and do not care."

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Dany was never the good guy but she basically hit the box a lot of people like in the same way they end up supporting US imperialism. Liberating some foreigners who just don’t understand what freedom is until you give it to them.

Now that the brutality is laid bare they just can’t handle that their fantasy is a bit hosed up.

I'm not a show watcher, but in the books it's patently obvious that her time in the slave cities is a critical take on the US messing around in the middle east.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CountFosco posted:

I'm not a show watcher, but in the books it's patently obvious that her time in the slave cities is a critical take on the US messing around in the middle east.

right down to the "there's these people who the locals have historically fought with, they like us, therefore they're the good guys, as a reward for helping us out we'll ignore anything they get up to"

"hey wait where did all this ethnic cleansing come from"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

CountFosco posted:

the show follows the books pretty faithfully until they run out of books and then it becomes a lazy run through of some notes George gave them.

but yeah Dany is basically that which is why she became the slay queen or whatever.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

CharlestheHammer posted:

*insert that Buttigieg quote about how firearms are to be exclusively used on foreigners and school shootings are therefore unamerican*

The show tricks you by only showing violence against legimitate threats/bastards and having plenty of other characters do the same sort of Punisher poo poo, then spending the last two episodes going with tired 9/11 imagery over crowds of terrified innocents.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it's particularly weird because they had the setup for it to happen laid in really well! they just decided that instead of there being some kind of instigating action, or it being a heat of the moment decision that she ends up clinging to out of tyrannical pride, you can almost hear the showrunners stepping in as the bells start ringing to say "look the script says she goes Full War Crimes now, for no personal gain. we never bothered to figure out why. maybe she's insane, i don't loving know, we are tired of making this show and do not care."

I don't know if they simply didn't care or if they were worried making her decision ambiguous would make the rest of the cast not look heroic enough.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm glad it's over and I won't read takes about it soon

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jose posted:

I'm glad it's over and I won't read takes about it soon

there are apparently three spinoffs being talked about and it’s a franchise that is in the billions.

it ain’t going anywhere.

the only thing that won’t happen is another book being released

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

YaketySass posted:

I don't know if they simply didn't care or if they were worried making her decision ambiguous would make the rest of the cast not look heroic enough.

which is all the condemnation you need, really. this is Gambo Thrones, the whole #brand was built on the idea that if someone looks heroic it's either because you're not looking closely enough or because they're about to be loving dead

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I don't want to give too much credit to Gurm but a good portion of what got people hooked up was mysteries and plotlines he sets up decades ago, if the spinoffs are made I expect it won't have anywhere near the same following and won't be able to justify the budget.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

the show follows the books pretty faithfully until they run out of books and then it becomes a lazy run through of some notes George gave them.

but yeah Dany is basically that which is why she became the slay queen or whatever.

Heh, even the stuff that's within book content gets a lot of poo poo that vaguely contradicts the books and the showrunners definitely hated the fantasy part of the fact that it's a fantasy series. Early show Stannis and Daenerys are decidedly more heroic than in the books and in a lot of ways later seasons sound less like they ran out of books and more like they stopped giving a gently caress about books, because what book material is still there in later seasons sounds as butchered as everything else.

Maybe DnD are just hacks, basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Agnosticnixie posted:

Maybe DnD are just hacks, basically

Basically