Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

i come for this image every year and am never disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
should i ever fail in my solemn duty of posting carl boss, you will know that i have gone to the four job fiesta in the sky

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This year I will break 7 runs. Hopefully all of them a Triple Crown if Gilgabot is adequately decent to me.

:toxx:
I will donate one cent for every broken rod (as tracked on the Discord!) and 10 cents for every speed trap fallen for, also tracked on the Discord. I will limit this donation to $60 unless I hit a windfall before the Fiesta ends.
:toxx:

Last year I didn't pay attention to the end date and almost couldn't make this donation :ohdear:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you remove all cutscenes, the translation hardly matters though, no?

Still matters, if only because RPGe hewed to FF6 instead of being correct with respect to a few things, e.g. !Capture, so things can get confusing if you're used to GBA translation.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, I suppose, although that sounds like something you'd get used to pretty quickly.

Managing an Omega kill on run 2 is very impressive, I have to say.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you remove all cutscenes, the translation hardly matters though, no?

Some people get really mad about Kururu/Cara/Krile.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Best thread of the year, every year.

My runs have been on the low end the last three years (although I did get quad-zerk two years ago AND kill NED and Shin with them) so I’m hoping to get at least 5 runs in. Wonder if the new rules will have good replay value. Wasn’t interested in running Forbidden again since my run got the one job I wanted to try (Cannoneer).

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
a bit of a deep dive on everyone's favorite song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBGRnWGJzPw

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, I suppose, although that sounds like something you'd get used to pretty quickly.

Managing an Omega kill on run 2 is very impressive, I have to say.

Hi have you heard of Blow Fish :shepicide:

(if only Gladiators had access to Lightning)

EDIT:

I don't remember what level I was but it was..high.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MagusDraco posted:

GBA "cart" with the sound patch on a 3ds was cool and good.

This is so dumb; I wanna play FF5A on my 3DS and I don't wanna gently caress with piracy stuff, it's insane they won't just take $30 for an eshop version

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

With as much as randomizers are the rage with ff1 and ff4, has anyone tried making a 4JF randomizer mod for ff5 that picks and limits your jobs internally?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Oh poo poo it is tiiiiiiiiiiime.

Two years back I ended up getting hit by Earth Berzerker on an Upgrade run. I ended up mugging a second Bone Mail and using zombified Death Scythe wielders to heal against Neo Exdeath. It was a bad experience.

:toxx: I will clear at least two runs this year. :toxx:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Oh also goes without saying, but one of those runs will be BERSERKERRISK :black101:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I have yet to complete a successful run, and i'm super busy with work and life right now, but gently caress IT IT'S FIESTA TIME. I will aim to complete a run this year, that is my goal. Let's do this.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I put a link in the op of the main Final a Fantasy thread. So pump to replay this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I skipped last year, but this time I'm back baby.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I've been putting off doing a fiesta for years but no longer! Let's gooooo

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

All you new people make sure you join the discord, everyone is a friend there.

Except Rugwizard, he's not invited.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The 2019 fanart section isn't filling up. As punishment, I submit mine.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

And mine. Since for some reason my mind went with Kurosawa.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I have no fanart (or art skills of any kind!) to offer but I shall appreciate those done nonetheless.

Looking forward to another good year of Fiesta

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The 2019 fanart section isn't filling up. As punishment, I submit mine.

Let them fight.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Mega64 posted:

'Tis the season.

For those interested, there's currently a Free Enterprise-style randomizer for FF5 called Career Day that's in beta testing. Here's the link for more info.

I really wish this was for the GBA version

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Phoneposting, but I'll redo my pledge from last year. I'll pull it up tonight if no one beats me to it.

Edit: got it

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements: 

1) Triple Crowns 
2) with a total party level under 100 and 
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30. 

Include a screenshot of your final levels! 

After 4 years, I'm at 82 triple crowns in a row, all but the first 2 chaos. Think I'll push for the big 100.

Samuel Clemens, blakelmenakle, Orange Fluffy Sheep, Osci, Mega64, Bregor, KataraniSword, Ayuno, Man with Hat, Kyrosis

derra fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 24, 2019

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mega64 posted:

'Tis the season.

For those interested, there's currently a Free Enterprise-style randomizer for FF5 called Career Day that's in beta testing. Here's the link for more info.

Career Day's been a blast and got me into randomizers in general (enough to start a new thread for them)

I agree with Shyfted One that I kind of wish it was on the GBA version. Will probably do all my fiesta runs this year on the SNES version since it's now the one I'm used to.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
SNES is superior.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poque posted:

SNES is superior.

:wrong:

Project Demi does a lot to get it close, but even then, no.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Poque posted:

SNES is superior.

*To the iOS release.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I scream into the Void about it every year, but I really can't handle the GBA version. I'm too used to the larger field of view from SNES for the updated translation to matter (especially since I fast forward through 80% of the game at this point) and I'm too lazy to patch out the godawful GBA soundtrack.

Also for whatever reason the font is completely unreadable to me.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Poque posted:

I scream into the Void about it every year, but I really can't handle the GBA version. I'm too used to the larger field of view from SNES for the updated translation to matter (especially since I fast forward through 80% of the game at this point) and I'm too lazy to patch out the godawful GBA soundtrack.

Also for whatever reason the font is completely unreadable to me.

I think there is a patch that puts the gba translation into the snes version now. Not sure though

big downside of the snes version imo is all the fake NED spots that mess up rapid fire and meteo

edit: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3687/ GBA script port

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 23, 2019

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MagusDraco posted:

big downside of the snes version imo is all the fake NED spots that mess up rapid fire and meteo

Yeah, I think Sandworm is worse too but I'm not sure. Sucks for zerks too. Maybe this is why I dislike Ranger so much (though it's hard to really know as I've only had 3 in 29 Fiesta runs and one of them was job-faired).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Poque posted:

Yeah, I think Sandworm is worse too but I'm not sure. Sucks for zerks too. Maybe this is why I dislike Ranger so much (though it's hard to really know as I've only had 3 in 29 Fiesta runs and one of them was job-faired).

Yeah, Sandworm has 5 dummy targets instead of 2. On the flipside for Zerks, they get access to the MAG underflow glitch and can trivialize random encounters in world 3 by being Titan.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poque posted:

I'm too used to the larger field of view from SNES

Can you please explain to me like I'm a dumbass what this actually means because I have no idea what this actually means

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kyrosiris posted:

Can you please explain to me like I'm a dumbass what this actually means because I have no idea what this actually means

The SNES screen is a square*, the GBA screen is a rectangle. They fit the game on the GBA screen by chopping off the top and bottom.

*or like 16:15 or whatever it is idk

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

The SNES screen is a square*, the GBA screen is a rectangle. They fit the game on the GBA screen by chopping off the top and bottom.

*or like 16:15 or whatever it is idk

I can't imagine a more pointless thing to be bothered by but :shrug:

E: though then again I'm the person who doesn't get the screaming and rending of flesh about the Matrix versions """bad graphics""" so I shouldn't be surprised the impact of this is also lost on me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The SNES version with GBA script is probably my favorite version of the game. I did the fiesta on all version except the PS1 one, as I just couldn't take the load time and Y-Burns. Yes even the ugly Steam version. Dunno what I am going to do since I think the Fiesta starts when I am suppose to go on vacation, so no taking my OSSC and SNES Mini with me.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kyrosiris posted:

I can't imagine a more pointless thing to be bothered by but :shrug:

E: though then again I'm the person who doesn't get the screaming and rending of flesh about the Matrix versions """bad graphics""" so I shouldn't be surprised the impact of this is also lost on me.

I don't really think it's pointless that you get to see less of the world around you on GBA.

Overall it's simply a comfort thing. I still play the same fanslated ROM I had back in like 1998 and the GBA version just doesn't look, feel, or sound right.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Look, everyone knows that the worst version is the PSX version. After that things get murkier, but I'll submit that the biggest flaw with the SNES version is the walking speed. Unless you draw Thief, have fun trudging through dungeon after dungeon!

GBA is the superior version for its translation, there's no real doubt about that. That plus the other QOL improvements (run speed, quicksave, canning dummy targets) make it better than the SNES overall, though the SNES has a few quirks and glitches that can make it fun for a FJF.

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a fan of the Matrix version, personally. The graphics always look fugly in screenshots but when I'm actually playing it they never seem to really bother me (and the enemy sprites are the best in this version, fight me). What I've enjoyed about it most from a FJF perspective is that it's, in a lot of ways, a completely different game. Many of the old tricks don't work anymore, so you've actually got to put work into learning new tricks (like Dancing Dagger-Twin Lance Ninjas). It's more challenging. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to mix things up on their FJF beyond the different registration modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Every version is the worst version.