Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

Climb less.

No

quote:

Also gently caress rain. gently caress realism. I can magically create infinite bombs that don't get affected by water and can ignite anywhere, but I can't create magic flame? An explosive arrow can't work in rain? It's gotta rain and screw up my ability to climb? gently caress you, rain.

Rain was invented by the ancients because they knew that, much like their apaches, one day 9900 years in the future a wimpy little elf boy will get owned by the super satan they didn't bother killing with their mechs and he deserves as much dumped on him as possible

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Crabtree posted:

Most of the time your Links tend to battle alone or a dude occasionally shows up to help him with bombs or something as a fight goes on, but never really able to last like he does even when they have special goddamn powers and giant robots.

did you know the hero of time link is such a badass that he overcomes the notable handicap of "being dead" to train twilight princess link on how to be an unstoppable swordsman

the dude self-wills his own spirit to re-inhabit his old skeleton and then hunts down the current generation's link and tells him to strap in cause school is in session

given that level of badassery, i don't think there's another mortal in the series that can match link in a straight-up fight. ganon only seems to be a match because he's also immortal and always manages to reform no matter how many times link kills him.

link is basically the physical manifestation of "get gud"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Link is as good as the player.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zore posted:

They do. There was no big Ganon fight in the past.

Ganon wakes up and the Champions separate to go to their divine beasts while Link and Zelda head for Hyrule castle. The Champions are ambushed by the Ganonblights and die while Link and Zelda end up trapped by the army of guardians outside Kakariko. Link almost dies to kill most of them then Zelea awakens her power and wrecks the rest.

After that the Shiekah take Link to the Shrine of resurrection, Zelda puts the Master Sword in its pedestal and goes to confront Ganon alone and basically just contains him for the next century until Link wakes up and the game begins.

so basically instead of following link and zelda on their cross country adventure and providing pointless color commentary, they should have been chilling out by their war machines, practicing and running drills every day so that when the moment happened, there was no delay for ganon to step in and corrupt their machines

"blah blah blah this is boring i am bored is anyone else bored i can't believe how boring this-"

"SHUT UP REVALI WHY ARE YOU CONSTANTLY HASSLING US GO PRACTICE LEARNING TO USE YOUR MURDERBOT YOU DUMB BIRD"

edit: really dig the implication that link can never fail, he can only be failed

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
They'd still have gotten owned because it looks like Ganon was sealed right under the castle all along and no one expected it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kassad posted:

They'd still have gotten owned because it looks like Ganon was sealed right under the castle all along and no one expected it.

The last Zelda and Link were the dumbest ones

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kassad posted:

I mean it was 10k years.

Which is a hilariously absurd amount of time as its roughly twice as long as recorded human history. Its totally possible the castle was built way after anyone knew a drat thing about where Ganondorf was sealed.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

RBA Starblade posted:

Mipha had to have been insanely lovely at being a champion to lose to the waterblight lol

The DLC kiiiiinda goes into that?

You fight each of the 'blights using flavor appropriate equipment. So Mipha's Trial ends up with a Zora Spear and such and very few arrows. Water Blight is rather challenging with such a setup...

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 21, 2019

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Champions never fought the Blights. The Malice took over their bodies and turned them into the Blights. They've all got design features that resemble the respective Champions.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

there’s ganon in them thar hills and it’s mine! mine I tells ya!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Ganon somehow always finds a way to be a big enough problem to require link to go on a monster genocide that I'm almost curious what a Doom Slayer version of Link would be.

HE ALWAYS COMES BACK. THE GREEN ONE. SWORD BOUND, GRACEFULLY SLICING THROUGH OUR KIND WITH A HIGH PITCHED WAIL.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Zore posted:

I mean it was 10k years.

Which is a hilariously absurd amount of time as its roughly twice as long as recorded human history. Its totally possible the castle was built way after anyone knew a drat thing about where Ganondorf was sealed.

I know that in Chinese, at least, “ten thousand years” is a figure of speech that would more accurately translate as “a long time, an eternity” and isn’t supposed to be literal. I assume it's the same in Japanese, and on that assumption I find the literal translation in BotW annoying.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crabtree posted:

Ganon somehow always finds a way to be a big enough problem to require link to go on a monster genocide that I'm almost curious what a Doom Slayer version of Link would be.

HE ALWAYS COMES BACK. THE GREEN ONE. SWORD BOUND, GRACEFULLY SLICING THROUGH OUR KIND WITH A HIGH PITCHED WAIL.

Cook and climb, until it is done

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bongo Bill posted:

The Champions never fought the Blights. The Malice took over their bodies and turned them into the Blights. They've all got design features that resemble the respective Champions.

I'm 99% sure they reference fighting the blights directly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Kazy posted:

I'm 99% sure they reference fighting the blights directly.

Yeah at least revali says that he got done in by windblight

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Just lol if you didn't have 40 shock arrows before getting to the Water Beast just from compulsively exploring everywhere.

I did the water beast last

I did Desert Beast, Fire Beast, Sky Beast, and then Water Beast... pretty much in the worst order possible. :downs:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Imo windblight gannon is the biggest chump of the four and the bow is the best of the weapons. Getting the Thunder Helm is better than any weapon, though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Crabtree posted:

Link is fantasy Doomguy. That’s why he collects Hinox guts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I used climbing and running like a cowardman to get a diamond circlet :toot:

Also my exploring randomly has led me to enough ingredients for like a dozen max health + 20 temp hearts so I Win, I guess

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 23, 2019

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/Rizi94631384/status/1131346070632427520?s=19

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm about as bad at parrying in Zelda as I am in Dark Souls

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I started a new game on Master Mode and it is much more difficult. I was going to have a story-driven cadence to how I played but that quickly turned into panicked survival with finding better armor as my number one goal. It's really very fun but a different game this time around. I do enjoy the floating platforms all around, those weapons are part of the reason I'm making any progress. Also, gently caress whoever put a lynel on the starting plateau.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I would enjoy master mode a lot more without the stupid regen mechanic

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

so i'm really jonesing for some more sweet zelda action but i've beaten botw and i feel like i'm out of options. then i realized i still have a wii u. the last zelda i played before botw was wind waker on the GC so i missed out on both twilight princess and skyward sword.

are SS or TP worth hunting down a copy to play, or are they too different from botw where i should just find a plot guide online and read that instead? i'm not completely opposed to the dated graphics, but both games seem to have extremely mixed reviews elsewhere online, so i figured i would ask here since i tend to trust SA reviews more than other randos.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Freaking Crumbum posted:

so i'm really jonesing for some more sweet zelda action but i've beaten botw and i feel like i'm out of options. then i realized i still have a wii u. the last zelda i played before botw was wind waker on the GC so i missed out on both twilight princess and skyward sword.

are SS or TP worth hunting down a copy to play, or are they too different from botw where i should just find a plot guide online and read that instead? i'm not completely opposed to the dated graphics, but both games seem to have extremely mixed reviews elsewhere online, so i figured i would ask here since i tend to trust SA reviews more than other randos.

They're basically both the opposite of BotW. Skyward Sword is all about the dungeons with limited overworld (which operates mostly as extensions of the dungeons) and a much more tightly guided experience. Its also heavily reliant on its motion controls. I personally like it a lot, but be prepared for a ton of cutscenes and tutorializing.

TP is basically WW or OoT but bigger? Its a fun game that also has an absurdly long and slow opening.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

sideways answer but link between worlds is a very fun game :)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Freaking Crumbum posted:

They follow that traditional 3D Zelda mold that's been roughly the same since Ocarina of Time. Since you've played Wind Waker, that's what you should expect, not anything like BotW (which is quite unique).

Both are great games, imo. There's an HD remaster of Twilight Princess for the Wii U which looks sharper and has some nice QoL improvements. Skyward Sword forces motion controls on you, which can have a bit of a learning curve (and it requires the Wii Remote Plus with Nunchuk).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I like Skyward Sword more than most, but I do recommend that if you know how and are able to use it, find the fan patch that shuts up Link's Siri, because she solves literally every puzzle for you unsolicited. And there are quite a few good ones too! She's basically robbing you!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Play Twilight Princess if you can, Skyward Sword isn't worth the effort

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bulgakov posted:

sideways answer but link between worlds is a very fun game :)

i completely forgot that i owned between worlds until you just now said this. i know i've beaten it and apparently the impression that it left on me was absolutely nothing, considering i forgot about owning it for 6 years

Zore posted:

They're basically both the opposite of BotW.

plot guides it is then :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If what you like about BOTW is the freedom, then your only real Zelda option is the OG NES one or waiting for BOTW 2

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If what you like about BOTW is the freedom, then your only real Zelda option is the OG NES one or waiting for BOTW 2

In a certain way Wind Waker kinda has a lot of freedom but it's mostly linear

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did anyone ever try to make that NES style Breath of the Wild the developers supposedly used to come up with ideas for scenarios and other mechanics?

The OG Zelda and Breath of the Wild are easily my favorites in the series.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i'm really hoping the switch remake for links awakening gets some juicy details revealed at nintendo's e3 stuff this year (treehouses or whatever they do)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Open Marriage Night posted:

Did anyone ever try to make that NES style Breath of the Wild the developers supposedly used to come up with ideas for scenarios and other mechanics?

It's a loving crime Nintendo didn't release that as Super Zelda Maker.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yep https://winterdrake.itch.io/breath-of-the-nes-zelda-fangame

Nintendo killed it of course, but it can still be found out there with like 2 seconds of googling :ssh:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 24, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Are there any games comparable to Breath of the Wild out there that have a similar level of freedom with climbing and gliding around and world system interactions and combat? This game has rather spoiled me for what I expect from 'similar' games. Skyrim? Pah.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Are there any games comparable to Breath of the Wild out there that have a similar level of freedom with climbing and gliding around and world system interactions and combat? This game has rather spoiled me for what I expect from 'similar' games. Skyrim? Pah.

Not to the same degree no. Closest you're going to get is probably stuff like Far Cry, Horizon or MGS:V which are fairly open ended and give you a bunch of different tools to tackle stuff in an open world environment.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ambaire posted:

depending on how you feel about 7 year old games, saint's row 4 absolutely has the same kind of vibe as botw. the setting is entirely different (you're trapped in a computer simulation of 21st century earth after aliens killed everyone on earth but you and your 8 friends) but in terms of having the ability to explore the entire landmass at will and having cool poo poo to find / unlock and having liter super powers that let you fly or run like the flash, it's got the same level of freedom to explore. plus the fashion souls element of SR4 is miles ahead of what you can do in botw.

apparently they released the SR 3&4 combo for the switch this month (SR 3&4 are really just one extremely long game split over two releases, from a plot perspective) but everything i've read said the port is really lovely and plays like absolute rear end. you can also get both games on steam for dirt cheap, which is probably what i'd suggest unless the only platform you own is the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Maybe something like Just Cause 3 for the "if you can see it you can go there" feeling.