Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you can't think of something fun to do with chemical compounds, that says more about your creative talents than the chemicals themselves.

Also, for the umpteenth time, RNG is not balance. It is just lovely dice rolling that is going to create a far worse experience most of the time because it will never go in your favour consistently.

Since when is ss13 about consistency? Being able to get the ultra death chem at any time only after wasting your time for a month isn't.. game balance. Having to figure out a few chems, maybe happen to get some interesting ones in a reasonable timeframe, then plan what you want to do with them is far more "in the spirit" of how the game operates, and actually gives people a reason to come up with creative uses of chems too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Have you ever actually played anytime recently? Secret chems are not a big issue. Even for those who know how to make them, they're time-consuming to make, require hard-to-get ingredients and as far as killing people goes, aren't actually significantly more efficient than basic hellfire/poison chems applied judiciously.

By contrast, people are slapping together TTV batches and station-eliminating canbombs in ten minutes or so, looting cash stashes and going on explosive shotgun rampages within the first five minutes of the round, and setting up inescapable pipe deathtraps to the loafer. Not very long ago, turbonerds figured out how to set up DWAINE programs that would let you AOE teleport entire rooms off to the ice moon via your PDA, and every round became a chess game between telenerds as they beamed away the station to get at each other.

Chemistry is not a big issue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jewel posted:

Since when is ss13 about consistency? Being able to get the ultra death chem at any time only after wasting your time for a month isn't.. game balance. Having to figure out a few chems, maybe happen to get some interesting ones in a reasonable timeframe, then plan what you want to do with them is far more "in the spirit" of how the game operates, and actually gives people a reason to come up with creative uses of chems too.

RNG is a crutch of lazy game design. It does not solve problems, it only serves to leave players worse off because the dice arbitrarily did not roll in their favour. And it will happen repeatedly. You're not gonna see interesting reactions in a reasonable timeframe, you're more likely to see get players complaining because they spent the last twenty rounds being hosed by random chance with no actual progress to be made.

Also SS13's general random chaos is not arbitrary but the results of direct player actions. If a department blows up, it's not because the game decided that department needed to go away on a roll of the dice (outside of some very specific station-targeting events that are gonna break something anyway), it's because someone made TTV bombs and blew it to hell for fun. It's only seems arbitrary from your personal experience.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 22, 2019

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I know there are adventure zones, but how do I get there? And can they actually be “won”? From my understanding it takes a dedicated telescience team and pure luck and you die pretty much instantly.

Would be nice to have a vr version of an adventure zone.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Listen on the radio for when an adventure zone expedition is forming and ask if you can go with them, then pipe bomb everyone at the teleporter to spare the rest of the crew a telescience round

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

go on one as a changeling. Mars and Ice Moon are particularly fun.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Chemistry, Mechanics, and DWAINE all have the exact same problem--It's hard to puzzle out your own cool, unique "thing", but very easy for someone else to copy it and run it into the ground.

Thinking specifically of that one really annoying power-switcher-offer mechcomp setup, where you use a Powernet component to rapidly send lights=off&enviro=off commands via DWAINE to all the APCs. The only counterplay is to beat the mechanics to death as soon as you notice APCs being tampered with (without any fingerprints on them). You can set that thing up anywhere with a data terminal.

Now they're talking about raising a similar barrier to entry for refactoring the AI laws, because god forbid you just hit a button to make a thing happen. If you aren't furiously paging back and forth between BYOND and an unlisted wiki page, are you really even playing?

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 22, 2019

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Quicksilver6 posted:

I know there are adventure zones, but how do I get there? And can they actually be “won”? From my understanding it takes a dedicated telescience team and pure luck and you die pretty much instantly.

Would be nice to have a vr version of an adventure zone.

most of the rewards are just like, cool gear and the fun of exploring a weird hellzone; but some of the zones have medals associated with them that give you permanent cosmetic rewards if you can clear them. the biodome lets you turn any labcoat into an alchemy robe once you complete it, for example

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Random idea I had: what if chemistry was less combining chems together to make poo poo, and more.... like, actual chemistry? Kinda like genetics a bit, where you have a screen where you have to set up chains of elements and poo poo to create the basic formula for your chemical, which then can be produced by putting the base ingredients into some machine? It could also allow you to scan samples to break down their molecular structure and figure out what they're made of, with some variable margin of accuracy. So like, if you know the chemical formula for sarin, you can belt that out decently easily once you've researched up the right chemical pairings and/or whatever else. Or, if you wanna try your hand at freehand chemical composition, you could just throw whatever together and possibly come up with a hellchem of your own. Or a new recipe for rainbow fart serum, who knows?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Chemistry, Mechanics, and DWAINE all have the exact same problem--It's hard to puzzle out your own cool, unique "thing", but very easy for someone else to copy it and run it into the ground.

Thinking specifically of that one really annoying power-switcher-offer mechcomp setup, where you use a Powernet component to rapidly send lights=off&enviro=off commands via DWAINE to all the APCs. The only counterplay is to beat the mechanics to death as soon as you notice APCs being tampered with (without any fingerprints on them). You can set that thing up anywhere with a data terminal.

Now they're talking about raising a similar barrier to entry for refactoring the AI laws, because god forbid you just hit a button to make a thing happen. If you aren't furiously paging back and forth between BYOND and an unlisted wiki page, are you really even playing?

Whats really non-fun is when an antag sets up a machine that auto-recalls the shuttle whenever someone calls it, I think that round lasted 3 hours and only ended because an admin came.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

Random idea I had: what if chemistry was less combining chems together to make poo poo, and more.... like, actual chemistry? Kinda like genetics a bit, where you have a screen where you have to set up chains of elements and poo poo to create the basic formula for your chemical, which then can be produced by putting the base ingredients into some machine? It could also allow you to scan samples to break down their molecular structure and figure out what they're made of, with some variable margin of accuracy. So like, if you know the chemical formula for sarin, you can belt that out decently easily once you've researched up the right chemical pairings and/or whatever else. Or, if you wanna try your hand at freehand chemical composition, you could just throw whatever together and possibly come up with a hellchem of your own. Or a new recipe for rainbow fart serum, who knows?

I'm not sure if 'more like genetics' is something to strive for, given that geneticists are infamous for spending the entire round glued to their screen while ignoring all other external stimuli, to the point nuke ops can walk in and set up in genetics undisturbed because the geneticists refuse to look away.

The more involved a minigame you make any single subsystem into, the more you take away from the actual 'you are a spaceman on a space station, please interact with your fellow players' game.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

RNG is a crutch of lazy game design. It does not solve problems, it only serves to leave players worse off because the dice arbitrarily did not roll in their favour. And it will happen repeatedly. You're not gonna see interesting reactions in a reasonable timeframe, you're more likely to see get players complaining because they spent the last twenty rounds being hosed by random chance with no actual progress to be made.

I'm saying there should be no "progress to be made" over multiple rounds. You shouldn't be able to spend multiple rounds "studying" to make future rounds better. The RNG would only be "what high level chem do you happen to research within the first 20 minutes" or "what selection of medlevel chems do you get first" leading to prompting actual thought to what you can do with that combination. It's not like I'm saying you should get something or nothing, I'm just trying to prompt some system that makes people.. mix it up a bit, while also avoiding the whole "huge multi-week timesink -> finally figure out a chem -> knowledge spreads -> chem changed the next week from overuse" nonsense that happens right now.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

But the entire fun of chemistry is that it's not a RNG click button and wait slog like pathology, you can actually apply real-world bits of chemistry to it to try to make things. And besides, all the really nasty chems are already locked behind RNG in that they require luck with hacked cigarettes, ??? bottles, or traitor poison bottles just to get the precursors.

People aren't blowing up the station with rajaijah, they're blowing it up with ClF3 and thermite, neither of which are secret to begin with.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's why there should be no secrets, imo.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I fully agree. Secrets are dumb and people who think chemistry is best balanced by having (even more) secrets are dumb.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I've always felt that chemistry is decently balanced as is due to the busywork and scavenger hunting required to make any of the more complicated recipes anyway, not that I've ever played as a chemist a lot. If nerds want to spend hours figuring out Secret Recipes, more power to them I guess. It's not as if a chemist can't get up to enough shenanigans just by using the stuff that's easily available on the wiki.

Also: Are there any good servers worth playing on besides the goon servers? Preferably without weird amounts of furry vore.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Honestly the only good thing about goon is the rules and the community.

The secrets and weirdo changes like nerfed thermals, no lasers in the armory, critical condition not just knocking you the gently caress out, are kinda lame. But when it's the only server where people aren't playing as le ironic nazis or edgy racial stereotypes, beggers can't be choosers.

Most other code bases would be cool if you purged the furshit from them.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dont Touch ME posted:

The secrets and weirdo changes like nerfed thermals, no lasers in the armory, critical condition not just knocking you the gently caress out, are kinda lame. But when it's the only server where people aren't playing as le ironic nazis or edgy racial stereotypes, beggers can't be choosers.

nerfed thermals is great, gently caress thermals

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

being able to (slowly, painfully) do poo poo while you're in crit is great too

it ain't fun to barely creep over the crit threshold and then have to spend the next few minutes looking at a black screen and hoping someone stumbles over you

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Dont Touch ME posted:

most of that stuff is to keep robust spacenerds from being ultra-robust and is a Good Thing. we also still get turbo traitors, so there's still ways to robust your fellow spacemen despite those changes.

agreed on the lack of nazis though, goonstation is the only one i've played on and i couldn't imagine playing on another.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Dont Touch ME posted:

who do you think makes the code

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Doesnt chemistry generally just explode at the beginning of the round or am I thinking something else

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

ZeusCannon posted:

Doesnt chemistry generally just explode at the beginning of the round or am I thinking something else

That's Genetics.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

That's Genetics.

I thought Genetics explodes because a traitor blows it up and Chemistry explodes purely by accident? At the start of each round I mean.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I seriously love being able to do poo poo in crit its a change I'd love to see universally I don't get how anyone could dislike it...

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought Genetics explodes because a traitor blows it up and Chemistry explodes purely by accident? At the start of each round I mean.

Yes, but Chemistry tends to take a few minutes longer unless there's a new guy in the lab who accidentally makes azide.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

EclecticTastes posted:

Yes, but Chemistry tends to take a few minutes longer unless there's a new guy in the lab who accidentally makes azide.

Alkylazidetriazide, mixed 50/50 in a can with ClF3, what's the worst that can happen?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

toxins explodes at the start of the round

chemistry explodes somewhere around 15 minutes in

engineering explodes around 30 minutes in

genetics explodes around 35 minutes in

hydroponics explodes around 45 minutes in

mining is a wild card and can explode at any point

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

cock hero flux posted:

hydroponics overrun by bearnanas around 45 minutes in

Fixed one thing otherwise seems accurate

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

See, maybe I'm just used to how things were a few years ago, but it *used* to be that Genetics would go about ten minutes in. Traitors always used to beeline it to Genetics to wipe out the cloner. And this was back when Cog2 was the default, so they were right next to one another, and much easier to access since the door is outside of medbay proper (one of the myriad reasons Cog2 is superior to Cog1).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cock hero flux posted:

Correction; Engineering ignites around 30 minutes in and proceeds to cook off towards a supernova.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

The Lone Badger posted:

The chance that chemistry explodes is an additive 2%*[number of chemists] every 30 seconds.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Wtf is a bearnana

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Something with a grizzly amount of potassium

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

a miracle of nature

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Poland Spring posted:

Wtf is a bearnana

Its a genetic aberration made by infusing space bear blood into a banana seed, you plant it and it grows into a wooden groot style half space bear half banana tree with bananas for claws that flings banana peels in random directions with its flailing arms and mauls those who slip to death with its deadly banana claws. If you kill them they drop 'bearnana' claws which you can eat and they give you the strength of the bearnana but if you eat too many you get a disease that causes you to start punching people randomly with spastic arm flailing and if you take enough brute damage ultimately turns you into a bearnana yourself. The worst part about them is that I made all of this up and its not real.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 24, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Motherfucker posted:

Its a genetic aberration made by infusing space bear blood into a banana seed, you plant it and it grows into a wooden groot style half space bear half banana tree with bananas for claws that flings banana peels in random directions with its flailing arms and mauls those who slip to death with its deadly banana claws. If you kill them they drop 'bearnana' claws which you can eat and they give you the strength of the bearnana but if you eat too many you get a disease that causes you to start punching people randomly with spastic arm flailing and if you take enough brute damage ultimately turns you into a bearnana yourself. The worst part about them is that I made all of this up and its not real.

You really had me there.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

that's how they make Spigot the Bear

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

I really hope the devs are paying attention to this thread because this sounds rad as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
g

Gooses and Geeses fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 14, 2020