Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zedd posted:

3 and 4 with some more confidence about when the show was going to end would be great.
1 and 2 where very flawed but much like GoT I can see what they where going for.

Amon was an incredible villain and he had so much potential and they wasted him. I could never forgive Korra for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Grapplejack posted:

Amon was an incredible villain and he had so much potential and they wasted him. I could never forgive Korra for that.

Wasn't that the higher-ups telling the writers they had to condense their Amon story into one season? I remember reading that around the time the first season had ended.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

TheMaestroso posted:

Wasn't that the higher-ups telling the writers they had to condense their Amon story into one season? I remember reading that around the time the first season had ended.

the season was written with the assumption they might only get the one, so they didn't want to leave any plot threads hanging. when they got the green light for more seasons, part way through airing, they decided against trying to rewrite the back half of the season at the last second.
the second season suffered from, among other things, a different, worse, animation studio doing most of the episodes and nick not knowing where to put it in it's line up, repeatedly killing fan interest/momentum.
the third and fourth seasons aren't perfect but they finally got a handle on what they wanted to do with the show and the older-then-average-for-nick audiance

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DoctorWhat posted:

Thankfully, his (ex)wife and sister (who have the same name, and look, I couldn't date a woman with the same name as my sister) seem happy and successful and haven't been dragged down by his vortex of awful.

yeah. i feel bad for her. she has alot of talent and seems like a mostly cool and good person. unlike her brother.

Max Wilco posted:

The way I remember it being told, Burch pressured his wife into having an open relationship as way for him to try and score with other women, and it ended up backfiring where he struck out, but she ended up dating a few people. Somehow, details of that got out online, though I don't know if it came from him or someone else (I'm not really interested in trying to find out, either).

I've been under the impression that Burch's antics, and the subsequent mockery of it was part of the reason why 'cuckoldry' entered (or re-entered, possibly) the modern vernacular as an insult.

Well, that just proves Burch is an idiot, because anyone with an iota of common sense would not want Borderlands 2: Adventures in Meme Land anywhere on their resume when applying as a writer.

i have heard it as either he pressured her or she pressured him, either way makes him look sad. also he pretended to be Bi so he could have some human contact but when the guy tried to cop a feel or probably hold his hand, he started shrieking on twitter about toxic masculinty. and most of the details came from him.

yeah, he is kinda where the over used "CUCK" meme took off. my favorite cringe is where he printed out an anita sarkisian tweet and put it right next to his wedding photos which is super creepy/cringy/trihard. meanwhile he is casting couch people. rear end in a top hat.

fallenturtle posted:

There seems to be a growing list of people who seemed cool and were featured on the Indoor Kids podcast and later turned out to be creeps. Is Ashley still okay?

he was never cool but yeah ash is good and fine, she got the good genes i guess.

Monicro posted:

I'm breaking my ninja oath to never actually post in this thread but asexual just means you don't experience sexual attraction, it doesn't mean you don't like having romantic partners or even that you don't enjoy sex. Supposedly (from what i remember of reading the poo poo last night) a small part of what catalyzed the whole mess was she freaked out about being attracted to someone for the first time, which I mean fine, because sexuality is a fluid and fickle thing and there are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy way way way better things to criticise holly for than that

sorry, didnt mean to be a prick. i guess i meant more meant asexual in the terms of intercourse not aromatic(which is probably the wrong term). i know its giant spectrum but i find it hard to trust anything she writes as of right now, so for all i know, she is using it as an excuse.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 22, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

He also wrote substantially less of Borderlands 2 than he makes it sound, because if you're a general creep you're probably also totally okay jacking credit for your co-workers' work.

hah. could have called that. didnt he write most of the presequel, because that was terrible.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QClbfVHF0K8

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hah. could have called that. didnt he write most of the presequel, because that was terrible.

I think he may have.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I think he may have.

yeah its all either memes or "look guys i can be really progressive, honest you guys" type writing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

Dude runs an entire group to swap nudes with fans, goes after underage fans, lies and cheats, but the thing y'all feel the need to talk about is, of course, that he's kind of unfortunate-looking.

Also, would the cheating and abuse have been okay if he were hot, or if Heidi were ugly? Because that's kind of what that argument implies.

Lol

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have heard it as either he pressured her or she pressured him, either way makes him look sad. also he pretended to be Bi so he could have some human contact but when the guy tried to cop a feel or probably hold his hand, he started shrieking on twitter about toxic masculinty. and most of the details came from him.

Separate the larger context of this guy—who appears to be a cringy and possibly abusive shithead—situations like this aren't as uncommon as you might think. Plenty of bi dudes, even those who've had sex with men, still take flirting and advances from other guys super poorly. If someone groped Burch without consent that's obviously not cool, but I've also seen a guy almost have a panic attack when come on to by someone he was attracted to.

The Byzantine labyrinth of acceptable masculine expression fucks people up right the hell up. Like, "I'd love to suck your dick but I'll break your jaw if you try to kiss me" kind of hosed up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Separate the larger context of this guy—who appears to be a cringy and possibly abusive shithead—situations like this aren't as uncommon as you might think. Plenty of bi dudes, even those who've had sex with men, still take flirting and advances from other guys super poorly. If someone groped Burch without consent that's obviously not cool, but I've also seen a guy almost have a panic attack when come on to by someone he was attracted to.

The Byzantine labyrinth of acceptable masculine expression fucks people up right the hell up. Like, "I'd love to suck your dick but I'll break your jaw if you try to kiss me" kind of hosed up.

i don't think anyone groped him. i think the dude was forward or something or even possibly not interested(id have to dig up the tweets) so burch acted all "woke" for a bit screaming men were gross pigs and poo poo on twitter. what basicaly happened is he couldnt score with anyone of any gender. i don't remember the full context because i havent looked up any of this poo poo and i don't feel like going on the shitholes that have that poo poo saved.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 22, 2019

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

the season was written with the assumption they might only get the one, so they didn't want to leave any plot threads hanging. when they got the green light for more seasons, part way through airing, they decided against trying to rewrite the back half of the season at the last second.
the second season suffered from, among other things, a different, worse, animation studio doing most of the episodes and nick not knowing where to put it in it's line up, repeatedly killing fan interest/momentum.
the third and fourth seasons aren't perfect but they finally got a handle on what they wanted to do with the show and the older-then-average-for-nick audiance

Korra had so many issues, but I still like it a lot. Especially due to the sheer guts they had to advance the world so much and be so drat ambitious with it.

Amon was awesome and could have used a long story arc. That said, I enjoyed how the series basically broached all four ideological extremes: totalitarianism, religious extremism, Anarchism and Nationalism. for a kids/teens show, that's a tall order. And even more, by the end they were basically showing that one could not simply disregard those factors but at least try to understand them and incorporare the less toxic, more beneficial aspects of each.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hbomb come get yer man

quote:

Zack Snyder: “The Fountainhead… It’s still important to me, but it’s a really touchy subject right now. People will think it’s hardcore right wing propaganda, but I don’t view it like that. I just think the story is super fun and crazy and melodramatic about architecture and sex.” He added, “It’s about time we get a different president so we don’t take poo poo so seriously!”

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Korra had so many issues, but I still like it a lot. Especially due to the sheer guts they had to advance the world so much and be so drat ambitious with it.

Amon was awesome and could have used a long story arc. That said, I enjoyed how the series basically broached all four ideological extremes: totalitarianism, religious extremism, Anarchism and Nationalism. for a kids/teens show, that's a tall order. And even more, by the end they were basically showing that one could not simply disregard those factors but at least try to understand them and incorporare the less toxic, more beneficial aspects of each.

one of the show's biggest shortcomings is that it has an extremely poor understanding of the politics behind those villains, most pronounced with anarchism. the end result is a centrist narrative that values preservation of the status quo and blanket villifies radical action that threatens this status quo. of all the ideologies on display, it's the hyper-capitalist who gets the distinction of being friendly and endearing to the Avatar.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Alaois posted:

hbomb come get yer man

quote:

Snyder has multiple projects he wants to work on even while he films Army of the Dead in the summer of 2019. For years, he’s wanted to adapt Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead. For a while, it was thought that that would be his next project. Although it’s on hold for now, Snyder still has a script in development, not for a feature length film, but for a television series.

Zack Snyder: “The Fountainhead… It’s still important to me, but it’s a really touchy subject right now. People will think it’s hardcore right wing propaganda, but I don’t view it like that. I just think the story is super fun and crazy and melodramatic about architecture and sex.” He added, “It’s about time we get a different president so we don’t take poo poo so seriously!”

He told me about a conversation he had had with a woman who wrote a book about Rand, and how the woman told him that during conservative regimes, Rand became very unpopular but during liberal regimes, she became popular again. “Not because they’re looking for it, or afraid of it, it’s because of the seriousness with which Rand is viewed varies in regime and power.”

Zack Snyder: “I think she’s incredible and insane and she’s always said story first, not regarding her politics. But it was easy for her to fall victim to her own popularity, and she drank her own Kool-Aid.” Snyder starts laughing. “She didn’t give a gently caress. If she was alive right now she would’ve loving murdered Donald Trump. She didn’t even like Reagan! She thought he was a nationalist. But I’m rambling now, sorry!”

McCloud posted:

He outright (heh) says she drank her own coolaid and implied she was cray cray for thinking Reagen wasn't too far right enough.

So naturally people will interpret that as Snyder agreeing with Rand that Reagan was a nationalist :shrug:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pants Donkey posted:

All this talk about public airing of private matters makes me concerned about a lot of poo poo I see on YouTube. The Trending tab frequently sports videos of couples sharing their marriage plans with viewers, and even discussing how their parents reacted? Or more disturbing lily white nuclear families vlogging practically their whole personal lives. You know, people with young children.

Am I overreacting here? I can’t help but feel like we’re gonna hear from these kids how hosed up and staged their lives were because daddy needed more views.

Welcome to hellworld where this already happened and is probably still happening in some form or another. There was an incident from a few years ago now where the family was emotionally abusing one of their kids (who just so happened to be from a previous marriage) for Youtube fodder.

Max Wilco posted:

Well, that just proves Burch is an idiot, because anyone with an iota of common sense would not want Borderlands 2: Adventures in Meme Land anywhere on their resume when applying as a writer.

Borderlands 2 being wall to wall memes is an overblown exaggeration that's been regurgitated ad nauseum in lieu of more accurate and salient criticisms.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

have you watched too many zack snyder movies and destroyed your own ability to construct sentences

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

John Murdoch posted:

Welcome to hellworld where this already happened and is probably still happening in some form or another. There was an incident from a few years ago now where the family was emotionally abusing one of their kids (who just so happened to be from a previous marriage) for Youtube fodder.

Ah, yeah. Dad Of Five, or whatever he was called, was bizarrely popular and people straight up stated that the one kid who got it the worst (and got physically abused in the videos as well if I remember it right) deserved it.

:shepface:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Alaois posted:

have you watched too many zack snyder movies and destroyed your own ability to construct sentences

Hell yeah, love to see someone trying to start a stupid slap fight.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dragonatrix posted:

Ah, yeah. Dad Of Five, or whatever he was called, was bizarrely popular and people straight up stated that the one kid who got it the worst (and got physically abused in the videos as well if I remember it right) deserved it.

:shepface:

You remember right. :(

Even nowadays there's still the uncomfortable fad of pulling pranks on your kids so you can film their reactions to put on Youtube or send into a daytime TV show or whatever. That poo poo skeeves me right the gently caress out.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Equeen posted:

Hell yeah, love to see someone trying to start a stupid slap fight.

last time i put effort into making a post in this thread every single one of you fuckers ignored it entirely

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Alaois posted:

last time i put effort into making a post in this thread every single one of you fuckers ignored it entirely

Well I mean, maybe it wasn't a good effort post? :shrug:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the greatest victory is that which requires no battle.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

What was it about

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

McCloud posted:

What was it about

someone asked for an elaboration about Zak S, i provided it

Ghostlight posted:

the greatest victory is that which requires no battle.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 22, 2019

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Alaois posted:

someone asked for an elaboration about Zak S, i provided it

What kind of weirdo would make effort posts about zack snyder lol you weirdo

(don't look through my post history)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Also while i haven't read your effort post I feel comfortable saying you're wrong

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

holy gently caress this thread sucks

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

McCloud posted:

Also while i haven't read your effort post I feel comfortable saying you're wrong

Zak S isn't Zack Snyder you loving dolt

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

That Ryan's Toy Review kid is likely gonna grow up to be the most hideous, spoiled and entitled son of a bitch

I mean, just...in general putting your kids online so much is pretty hosed up. It all just comes down to "I'm making lots of money off of my kids!", they don't have any bloody choice in it and all those vids are there forever.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Alaois posted:

Zak S isn't Zack Snyder you loving dolt

My bad, but maybe you should be a little less angry and take a time out, maybe grab a juice box and a snack

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

CYBEReris posted:

one of the show's biggest shortcomings is that it has an extremely poor understanding of the politics behind those villains, most pronounced with anarchism. the end result is a centrist narrative that values preservation of the status quo and blanket villifies radical action that threatens this status quo. of all the ideologies on display, it's the hyper-capitalist who gets the distinction of being friendly and endearing to the Avatar.

he was a villain in the season he got introduced in, it's kind of disappointing from an ~ideology~ angle that he get redeemed after that, but the character himself is at least really fun to have on screen. it wouldn't surprised me if that kept him around for exactly that energy.

i think your assessment is largely right, but i also don't think as a finished product it's quite as bad that - korra forces the world to undergo a pretty drastic change at the end of season two. both of the last two seasons deal with consequences from that, but perhaps a longer or more tightly written series could have more wholly explored the ramifications and what finding a new path actually means.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

McCloud posted:

My bad, but maybe you should be a little less angry and take a time out, maybe grab a juice box and a snack

Zak S[mith] is a rapist and abuser who directly ruined the lives of people (many of whom were women and/or LGBTQ) on other subforums of this website as well as offsite, so maybe some annoyance is valid because you can't read and assumed a guy whose name is spelled differently is still somehow your holy saint of manchild fiction.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
he posted that in the middle of a discussion about Snyder and I had my Rolodex of famous rapists at another desk so I also assumed he was talking about Zach Snyder

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bonaventure posted:

he posted that in the middle of a discussion about Snyder and I had my Rolodex of famous rapists at another desk so I also assumed he was talking about Zach Snyder

I mean, googling aside I'm not going to argue either way on whether it's easy to confuse their names or not, but ending this on a "lol u mad" after being super wrong on a sensitive issue is pretty tacky.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

I mean, googling aside I'm not going to argue either way on whether it's easy to confuse their names or not, but ending this on a "lol u mad" after being super wrong on a sensitive issue is pretty tacky.

it may also go a bit into why I'm maybe a bit upset that people completely glossed over my effort post about the guy but gently caress me i guess

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

John Murdoch posted:

Borderlands 2 being wall to wall memes is an overblown exaggeration that's been regurgitated ad nauseum in lieu of more accurate and salient criticisms.

What other criticisms were there?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Alaois posted:

it may also go a bit into why I'm maybe a bit upset that people completely glossed over my effort post about the guy but gently caress me i guess

Hey I'm breaking my habit of just Never Posting to say that I didn't gloss over that post, and it was super helpfulto me! In all of the circles I'm in it's just kind of assumed that everyone already knows that dudes deal. Like, I knew he was a scumbag, but I only knew a little bit of why (I was assuming he was an older contributor to D&D and finding out that his first time contributing to the game was after him being a toxic rear end in a top hat came out was more than a little :psyduck:

if anyone missed it here's the link to Alaois' post

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also who cares if he said Rand was nuts, The Fountainhead was just as political as Atlas, all he's doing is admitting he's genuinely so stupid he read a giant political rant book and only got 'oooh...ARCHITECTURE....' out of it.

Which, like, yea I believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Stupid gives him too much credit. That kind of myopic reading of The Fountainhead is something you only get by being so well insulated by wealth and privilege that you can 'enjoy' the story absent its poisonous ideology.

It's like when I was thirteen and enjoyed the hell out of Rainbow Six because I'd liked the video games and was too cuddled to grasp why making global ecoterrorists the big bad guy was maybe not kosher.